Editors, desktop icons

Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Re: Editors, desktop icons

Postby Husse on Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:24 am

Please use gksudo for a GUI application
You find an editor if you look around in the menu, I think it's in a submenu, don't have fluxbox running right now
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby OU812 on Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:23 pm

It looks like mousepad (editor) is installed. I didn't see any others. (If you don't like mousepad, you may want to try medit.) If you open the file ~/.fluxbox/menu you will see a config file. Browse through the menu to see the actual app names. App names are in the {} brackets.

For desktop icons, you can install idesk, fbdesk, or rox. idesk may be the best choice, but probably takes the longest to set up. Another option would be to install wbar. I don't know if it's in the repos as I'm not new to fluxbox but I am new to fluxbox mint.

john
OU812
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Matchieu on Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:29 pm

Hi,

What I did was to install iDesk, it works pretty well and it's "relatively" easy (it's a bit tricky to place the icons correctly as you have to estimate where it will be).
I guess if you type iDesk on any Ubuntu forum (and even on the Mint one) you'll find the information you need quite easily.

[edit] I think it is installed by default so to find out, go to the Home folder, press ctrl+H (to view the hidden files) and if you have a folder named .idesktop then it is installed. Normally you'll have the file .lnk for the desktop icon so what you need is to use that as a template.
For my Firefox icon, I have the following command:
table Icon
Caption: Firefox
Command: /usr/bin/firefox
Icon: /usr/share/pixmaps/firefox.png
Width: 35
Height: 35
X: 1124
Y: 10
end
Then you save it under firefox.lnk and you'll have a firefox icon next time you restart fluxbox.

Width and Height refers to the size of the icon
X and Y to the position of the icon on the desktop (the starting point being the top right corner)

It's pretty basic, but I'm not an expert, I've only started using FluxBox last week so it's all new to me :-)

Anyway, I hope it'll help :-D
Matchieu
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Others