Fkuxbox onAsus EEE

Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Fkuxbox onAsus EEE

Postby Matchieu on Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:17 pm

Right so here is my question.... After installing FluxBox on my rather powerful Laptop and being really.... well, actually extremely, happy with it. And having a brand new toy to play with.... an Asus EEE.... extremely tiny laptop (for those of you who never heard of it). I was wondering, do you think it will work well on it?

Right so for the specification, it has a tiny pentium 900mhz (running at a bit more than 600mhz apparently), 512 of ram and only 4Go of memory. And also a tiny screen (7 inches) with a resolution of 800x600....

I know, it's not the worse you can get and the OS furnished with it is OK (well, I'm not a big fan of KDE so it's not my cup of tea). I also know that trying will probably give me the best answer.... but I'm a bit lazy :-)

So tell me about your experience and what you think of my project ;-)
Matchieu
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Fkuxbox onAsus EEE

Postby Passerby on Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:15 am

Hi,
I too think that Fluxbox Mint would be perfect for the Asus eeepc. Has anyone installed it happily yet? If so, what works and what doesn't?
Thanks,
I
Passerby

Postby yamawho on Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:04 pm

Not much being discussed on this forum about the Eee PC and that is a shame since it's the most popular system with linux preinstalled.
It has sold over 350,000 units before xmas. The closest to that are Dell systems with 40,000 units sold worldwide.

Here is a link with all the action on the EeePC ...
http://forum.eeeuser.com/
ImageImage
yamawho
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Matchieu on Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:46 pm

Yeah, that's true it's bit of a shame..... Maybe I'll give it a go this week-end and see what happen.
But it's a great little thing that Asus eee thing, it works really well and it is much faster than what I was expecting.
So we'll see... maybe a return of experience during the week-end..... :-)
Matchieu
Level 1
Level 1

Postby yamawho on Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:31 pm

ImageImage
yamawho
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Matchieu on Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:35 pm

Right, so I tried it very quickly yesterday and.... I worked, just a bit of an issue with the wireless (which was strange as my laptop is using the same type of wireless card) but all in all, it seemed quite good.

It was actually very fast and it took less space then the Xandros distribution they have in it.

So the downsides were the wireless which was just a question of selecting madwifi in Wicd and the fact that you couldn't switch it off using the fn+ key.... But quite a minor thing really.

So maybe, if I found the time, I'll experiment a bit more with it and let you know what happened
Matchieu
Level 1
Level 1

Postby yamawho on Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:48 pm

I purchased mine since we are traveling to Australia next month.
Will come in handy to view photos and keep in touch with family.

The only change I did to mine is have it boot into the advanced desktop.
I might change distro later on but for now xandros is fine.
ImageImage
yamawho
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Matchieu on Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:41 pm

Well, I actually fiddle a bit with it and installed Fulxbox..... And it did work pretty well (except for the wifi but I managed to make it work at the end)
But then, I decided to get back to the native OS by lack of time and also because I wanted to see what it was like... And it's not too bad.... Once you put the advanced mode on.
So for now on, I'll stick with it.... Until the next time I'll get bored :-)
Matchieu
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Others