Linux Mint Debian 201204 released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
cwwgateway

Re: Linux Mint Debian 201204 released!

Post by cwwgateway »

Hairman wrote:This a question. Please note I am quite new. I bought the Debian 6.0.4, 32 bit install, with the 8 disc repository. I was wondering if the repository would work for this Mint edition? I have tried to use the repos. for other Debian based OS' and I had no luck. Is there another way to do this other than the usual way of adding discs when the gui requests it. I don't yet know how to use the terminal fully. Rather , i don't know all of the different commands or when to use them. I went to the OS' resource system, or file, and clicked on that I have other discs to add to repos. I put in the disc on command, and the machine could not recognize the discs. I do apologize if I am using the wrong place to ask this question. Regards, Hairman.
Why do you want to use the disks? All of the software is in the software manager. And no, I don't think it would work because LMDE is based off of Debian Testing, which is Debian 7 Wheezy, not Debian 6, which is the stable branch. I guess the only reason for the 8 discs is if you had a bad, or no, internet connection. Still, the software manager and the repos should have the same software as the 8 discs.
Lenny Dawson

Post by Lenny Dawson »

animaguy wrote:Can anyone tell me if any of these desktops and this new version can be supported on a 1gb ram laptop?
See my later post below:-

Sucessfully running on 768M/b upgraded from original machine spec 256M/b.
Galen10

Post by Galen10 »

There's a fault in the installer in the new .iso file. My old laptop uses a Broadcom Wifi set that needs the B43 drivers. I burnt the .iso to a DVD, but when I tried to run it, it got as far starting the MDM Display Manager and gave an
error message "mdm [79.8465241] b-43-phy0 Error Firmware file "b43/ucodes85.fw not found" and a couple more similar errors, then hung completely. There was no way out of the hang other than to hold down the Power button to turn things off and start again. Several tries produced the same result. The .iso checksum is OK. I just reverted to the old .iso and it runs just fine - it throws up the same error, but then continues gracefully, as it should - so it would appear the new .iso is faulty. I don't know if it would have trouble with other old chipsets, but it certainly does with Broadcom.

Regards,

Bob
fsimerey

Post by fsimerey »

fsimerey wrote:I try to install LMDE 64 bits - MATE-Cinnamon.

I can boot in live (via USB key) BUT the mouse click doesn't work.
I can move cursor over the desktop, but no one of the buttons is working... Keyboard have no action too.
I wouldn't try to burn a dvd if i have the same problem.
FYI, i found the problem, it's a bug with nvidia GTX 580 and nouveau Nvidia driver.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... et#p574008

So add option nouveau.noaccel=1 in grub at boot and replace nouveau.xorg.driver by nvidia.kernel.dkms is the solution.
animaguy

Post by animaguy »

I just want to write for the record that I installed LMDE xfce 2012 32-bit on my 1gb ram laptop and I am ABSOLUTELY HAPPY about the installation.

I first installed Lisa with a KDE desktop. Everything seemed great but there were very small issues that I couldn't work around. There was a problem with nepomuk, akonadi tray, maildir, and wifi.

I was confident there would be a solution. And even with those issues I was very happy with Linux Mint.

I started to try and figure solutions to the problem and a linux forum member suggested that I consider LMDE with xfce because it was light weight. And because it was just released and the release was "rolling". I decided I would give it a try.

But instead of installing into the laptop I decided to wipe out my HDD with Win7 on my desktop to remove all doubt that the issue was hardware driven. I experienced the same problems with the desktop when I installed Lisa w/KDE. The maildir, akonadi tray and nepomuck issues reappeared. I didn't test for wifi. The desktop is offline and at the time I had no internet or wifi access for the desktop.

I then installed LMDE xfce 2012 but with the 64-bit version and although I had to learn issues regarding ext4 formatting and linux-swap partitions, the install was perfect out of the box. Both install attempts were done offline.

I then did an offline install of LMDE xfce 2012 with the 32-bit version on the 1gb ram laptop. Everything went perfect. And then I went to the local coffee shop to test the wifi. I made no assumptions beforehand if it would work or not.

And here I am now at the coffee shop with the wifi working posting this successful wifi login.

I am still in default "newbie" status with this forum but I am slowly moving up the ladder.

I am very happy and am motivated to continue learning Linux with the Linux Mint Community!

:lol:
asdfasdf

Post by asdfasdf »

I can move cursor over the desktop, but no one of the buttons is working... Keyboard have no action too.

My computer works fine with Mint 12 and Mate.

Thanks for reply.

I had that same problem with the Mint 12 Gnome version. I tried a USB keyboard and USB mouse, and then I also tried a PS/2 keyboard and PS/2 mouse and still it didn't work.

Solution: I ended up going back to Mint 11.
fsimerey

Post by fsimerey »

asdfasdf wrote:

Thanks for reply.

I had that same problem with the Mint 12 Gnome version. I tried a USB keyboard and USB mouse, and then I also tried a PS/2 keyboard and PS/2 mouse and still it didn't work.

Like i said, my problem was Nvidia GTX 580 and nouveau video xorg driver.
This bug is know for some others nvidia graphics.
Just lookup my previous post.
AJ1000

Post by AJ1000 »

Clem, LMDE is working very well for me, I am using Mate and Compiz. Thank you very much for your work.
merc1973

Post by merc1973 »

fsimerey wrote:
asdfasdf wrote:

Thanks for reply.

Like i said, my problem was Nvidia GTX 580 and nouveau video xorg driver.
This bug is know for some others nvidia graphics.
Just lookup my previous post.

http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=80211
mbokil

Post by mbokil »

Lenny Dawson wrote:...I always look at CompizConfig program. It never seems to do anything useful (i.e. work) and most of the settings appear to be for people who have nothing better to do than fiddle around. Maybe this could be an optional download - I can't imagine who would bother.
I use compizconfig to easily set key shortcuts for apps and scripts I need to run every day for development and writing. It saves me a lot of time instead of fumbling around for specific apps and looking through menus. But I do admit this is not for everyone. For power users I would say it is a welcome addition.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

Works perfectly on my R61
Wonderful job
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
zoli62
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zoli62 »

The latest Firefox why is it so late in the LMDE version? After release of the new Firefox had to wait a couple of weeks that can be updated.
linrx

Post by linrx »

Just downloaded both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions for Linux Mint-Debian 201204 and was about to just reply a thank u to this thread when I noticed the footer that said Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations and realised that I should :arrow: pay up :idea: ; sorry I could do more than this -- my bad.
selittl

Post by selittl »

zoli62 wrote:The latest Firefox why is it so late in the LMDE version? After release of the new Firefox had to wait a couple of weeks that can be updated.
firefox is not updated as quickly for debian. Best bet is to install iceweasel (firefox clone for debian) which is updated more often. It looks and works just like firefox, even uses same addon's, etc, Basically is firefox rebranded.
zoli62
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zoli62 »

selittl wrote:
zoli62 wrote:The latest Firefox why is it so late in the LMDE version? After release of the new Firefox had to wait a couple of weeks that can be updated.
firefox is not updated as quickly for debian. Best bet is to install iceweasel (firefox clone for debian) which is updated more often. It looks and works just like firefox, even uses same addon's, etc, Basically is firefox rebranded.
It Is not a big problem, eventually only had to wait two weeks to display the new version of Firefox in the official Mint repository.
b3ard

Post by b3ard »

So I had the same issue with my gtx 580. I know this a long time away from when the original post was posted, however yes..the issue was the graphics driver. My fix was, upon the live boot, there is an extra option to enter the command line. From there, next to"quiet splash," put in "nomodeset"

I had to do the same once again, after the install at the grub boot menu. I believe its F2, cant remember but there is a description at the bottom of the boot menu of what to press to view the current settings...next to the "quiet splash," once again put "nomodeset"

Hope it helps

Return to “Releases & Announcements”