Linux Mint 4.0 KDE released!

Releases and other announcements
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.

Re: Linux Mint 4.0 KDE released!

Postby DrCR on Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:24 am

Forgive me for posting again, but Is the default kernel pre-patched concerning the local-user privilege escalation issue that surfaced not to long ago? I didn't see it in the release notes or mentioned in the forums, so I figured I'd just go ahead and ask.

DrCR

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Boo on Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:05 am

The kernel is the origional Ubuntu 7.10 one.
so the answer is no to it being pre-patched for anything by us.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Boo
Level 8
Level 8

Postby Kadanoo on Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:12 am

Hello, I am currently downloading Linuxmint 4 KDE CE from here:
http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/ ... KDE-CE.iso
It says it's 996 MB large, but the download (Opera) didn't stop when it reached that size, it continued, it's already at 1.3 GB.
Could someone reply me fast what that means? The download also started extremely fast, I normally have about 220 KB/s, I clicked it accidentaly and checked it after about one minute and it was already at 94%
So what now? It has ?/?GB
And I have a limited download capacity of 2 GB/month
Could someone tell me fast what to do?
Kadanoo

Postby Kadanoooo on Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:31 am

PLease it's already at 1.6 GB
anyone?
Kadanoooo

Postby Kadanoo on Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:07 pm

It stopped now (it says that an error ocurred) at about 1684 MB. Has this link worked for anybody else?
Kadanoo

Postby myforms on Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:36 pm

Kadanoo wrote:It stopped now (it says that an error ocurred) at about 1684 MB. Has this link worked for anybody else?

I downloaded the iso without a hitch. I also used
http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/ ... .0-KDE.iso
myforms
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ChuckMcB on Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:53 pm

Torrent was stuck for two days at 4.1%, just downloaded via HTTP and am seeding (slowly) ATM, if anyone else can join in and seed please do. :D

C.
ChuckMcB
Level 1
Level 1

Postby freedom on Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:22 pm

sundayrefugee wrote:
freedom wrote:Have a question for anyone.

First. I play a lot with my PC, several distros tested every month. Most I don't like. Mint is great though. I think part of what makes that possible is that it has some proprietary stuff in it. Which is fine.

I am interested though in finding out how the totally free/non-proprietary/GPLed distros are coming along.
I know things will not work and that is OK. I do not plan on using anything other than Mint in the near future. But I would like to try the best of the totally GNU distros.

Does anyone have recommendations on what those might be.
Only the totally GNU/free distros please.

The best of the "totally free", well, there isn't such a thing, because of the kernel itself. The closest you'll find is the Debian project. Try Debian - it's a great way to learn the metadistro that Mint is built upon ;-)

Onto KDE:

Downloaded it using one of the severs, brought it in with no problems ;)

For those who think the GNOME version is "more polished", you're in for an incredible shock ;) I've got Mint KDE 4.0 Final running now, and I'm here to tell ya, it's EVERY bit as polished as GNOME, and probably more so ;) It's simply beautiful. You owe it to yourself to try it. You may still prefer GNOME afterward - they both have their strengths and advantages, but Boo has knocked one right out of the park with this one.

Thanks for the info and I whole heartedly agree with your comments about Mint KDE 4.0.
I am a huge fan of Sabayon Linux and Mint I think is better.
I have no problems with Mint to date and I am still using the last beta. Seems I always have problems with Sabayon even though I love the way the distro looks.
Boo has struck the line. He has produced a Great looking distro, where (at least for me) everything works. I am able to figure most of the programs out pretty well, where as the last distro I was using (which was not Sabayon and have been using this distro for years) I had to rack me brains to figure anything out though it was supposed to be a user friendly distro.
Two thumbs up to yah Boo, She looks great, runs great, easy to use, on and on.
Keep them coming.
freedom
Level 2
Level 2

Postby cool_gamer8119 on Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:46 pm

Mint KDE is the best distro i have used so far. I came back after trying other distros and found this one exciting and useful.
linux mint!
cool_gamer8119
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Previous

Return to Releases & Announcements