Linux Mint 13 "Maya" RC released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
drjster

Re: Linux Mint 13 "Maya" RC released!

Post by drjster »

@kmb42vt

Yes. I've experienced the exact issue you have - "the login screen appearing for a second and then going to a blank screen during a normal boot/reboot".

My system is very similar to yours by the way:
Intel Core 2 Quad, 8.0 GB DDR2, 500 GB HDD, 320 GB HDD, Nvidia GT 210 w/1.0 GB DDR3 (running Nvida 295 driver)

I found out a few things. Updating to the post release Nvidia drivers did not resolve the issue for me. Changing the login manager from MDM to LightDM did fix the issue but it displays an Ubuntu branded login screen. The issue did not happen for me if I installed all updates and kernel upgrades before installing the Nvidia drivers. However, after doing a second recommended kernel upgrade yesterday with the Nvidia drivers already installed, the 1 second MDM login issue reared its ugly head. I tried the GDM login manager and that works but the default "theme" is an ugly bright blue and I didn't research how to change it.

Also, the recommended Nvidia proprietary drivers work fine in Xbuntu 12.04 (which is a beautiful and very fast running release) and Lubuntu 12.04 even after 2 kernel upgrades. Both use the LightDM login manager to the best of my knowledge. My guess is that there is an issue with the MDM login manager and the Nvidia drivers that crops up after the kernel is updated. I have no idea if it's related to any specific kernels or not.

You can use the Nouveau drivers or change login managers to work around this issue, or try the post release driver which as I said didn't work for me. Or you can use a previous Mint version or another distro. I would stay away from any distro that uses MDM if you plan on installing the current Nvidia drivers and upgrading your kernel. I'm curious to find out what will happen in my LMDE 201204 xfce (uses MDM 1.0) when a kernel upgrade hits and I update Nvidia to the latest which I'm not inclined to do. If you find out any more pertinent info regarding this issue, please share :-) As always, YMMV.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

drjster wrote:@kmb42vt

Yes. I've experienced the exact issue you have - "the login screen appearing for a second and then going to a blank screen during a normal boot/reboot".

My system is very similar to yours by the way:
Intel Core 2 Quad, 8.0 GB DDR2, 500 GB HDD, 320 GB HDD, Nvidia GT 210 w/1.0 GB DDR3 (running Nvida 295 driver)

I found out a few things. Updating to the post release Nvidia drivers did not resolve the issue for me. Changing the login manager from MDM to LightDM did fix the issue but it displays an Ubuntu branded login screen. The issue did not happen for me if I installed all updates and kernel upgrades before installing the Nvidia drivers. However, after doing a second recommended kernel upgrade yesterday with the Nvidia drivers already installed, the 1 second MDM login issue reared its ugly head. I tried the GDM login manager and that works but the default "theme" is an ugly bright blue and I didn't research how to change it.

Also, the recommended Nvidia proprietary drivers work fine in Xbuntu 12.04 (which is a beautiful and very fast running release) and Lubuntu 12.04 even after 2 kernel upgrades. Both use the LightDM login manager to the best of my knowledge. My guess is that there is an issue with the MDM login manager and the Nvidia drivers that crops up after the kernel is updated. I have no idea if it's related to any specific kernels or not.

You can use the Nouveau drivers or change login managers to work around this issue, or try the post release driver which as I said didn't work for me. Or you can use a previous Mint version or another distro. I would stay away from any distro that uses MDM if you plan on installing the current Nvidia drivers and upgrading your kernel. I'm curious to find out what will happen in my LMDE 201204 xfce (uses MDM 1.0) when a kernel upgrade hits and I update Nvidia to the latest which I'm not inclined to do. If you find out any more pertinent info regarding this issue, please share :-) As always, YMMV.
The problem came back for me as well after a couple of reboots. I'll try un-installing the Nvidia driver and doing a kernel upgrade and see what happens. Thanks for the reply
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

In reference to the MDM conflict with the proprietary Nvida driver(s), I found that removing the driver, upgrading to the latest kernel listed in Synaptic (3.2.0-24) and then reinstalling the "post-release" Nvida driver (not the recommended one) appears to have solved the problem. Two days of boots/reboots and MDM stays put--no crash and having to restart. Good deal. :D

Now, if I can only get LM 13/Cinnamon to remember my sound device upon reboot, I'll be a happy camper. I have both HDMI audio and internal audio hardware and unlike LM12, LM 13 (both MATE and Cinnamon) always defaults to the HDMI audio instead of the internal audio hardware upon boot/reboot even though I set sound hardware to internal audio. Anyone else seeing this type of problem?
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
drjster

Post by drjster »

kmb42vt wrote:In reference to the MDM conflict with the proprietary Nvida driver(s), I found that removing the driver, upgrading to the latest kernel listed in Synaptic (3.2.0-24) and then reinstalling the "post-release" Nvida driver (not the recommended one) appears to have solved the problem. Two days of boots/reboots and MDM stays put--no crash and having to restart. Good deal. :D

Now, if I can only get LM 13/Cinnamon to remember my sound device upon reboot, I'll be a happy camper. I have both HDMI audio and internal audio hardware and unlike LM12, LM 13 (both MATE and Cinnamon) always defaults to the HDMI audio instead of the internal audio hardware upon boot/reboot even though I set sound hardware to internal audio. Anyone else seeing this type of problem?
Thanks for verifying the conflict between MDM, the Nvidia driver(s) and upgrading the kernel. Just remember to uninstall your Nvidia driver before you do another kernel upgrade (if you do one). I may even reinstall Maya now ;-)

Regarding your audio issue, I believe that sound defaulted to HDMI when I first installed LM 13. If I recall correctly, I went into the sound manager to choose which volume levels to display, checked Master, then selected "internal" audio and verified that sound was working. Upon reboot, the "internal" setting stuck.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

drjster wrote:
kmb42vt wrote:In reference to the MDM conflict with the proprietary Nvida driver(s), I found that removing the driver, upgrading to the latest kernel listed in Synaptic (3.2.0-24) and then reinstalling the "post-release" Nvida driver (not the recommended one) appears to have solved the problem. Two days of boots/reboots and MDM stays put--no crash and having to restart. Good deal. :D

Thanks for verifying the conflict between MDM, the Nvidia driver(s) and upgrading the kernel. Just remember to uninstall your Nvidia driver before you do another kernel upgrade (if you do one). I may even reinstall Maya now ;-)

Regarding your audio issue, I believe that sound defaulted to HDMI when I first installed LM 13. If I recall correctly, I went into the sound manager to choose which volume levels to display, checked Master, then selected "internal" audio and verified that sound was working. Upon reboot, the "internal" setting stuck.
On the audio: I recognize the sound manager you're referring to but i believe that's the old Alsa sound manager that lets you check the master channel and which volume controls to show. However, you triggered something in my wee little pea sized brain and I went into LM 13/Cinnamon "Sound Settings" app and under the "Hardware" tab I selected the HDMI audio entry and under the "Settings for device" drop down menu I was able to chose "Off". That took care of the problem. Not exactly the most intuitive way of doing this kind of thing but that's more a Gnome 3 problem than a Mint problem. But it's fixed! :D
momist
Level 4
Level 4

Post by momist »

Well, I've finally got a fully functional sytem with Maya Cinnamon. I took a few wrong turnings :oops:
Having tried out a few *buntu variations after a disagreeable experience with Ubuntu12.04 and that funny Unity stuff, I had always (ALWAYS) to install hplip in order to get my wireless printer to connect, so I tried to do that with Mint. Daft me, I'd never thought to look and see if it would "just work". The result was a mess, and I ended up doing a complete format and re-install just to clear it all up. That's when I noticed that hplip version 3.12.2 comes with the package! I had been trying to load 3.12.4, but the hplip site gives manual install directions that tried to put me back to Mint 11 or something.

Just one "paper cut" I've noticed so far. The Software Manager correctly asks for the password before it will change anything, but if you are installing ten things at once (from a list) it gets a bit wearing to continually have to type in the password, especially if it is a good secure one! It would be nice if, like sudo in the terminal, the password stuck for a few minutes and let you do several things after one entry.

No matter. Everything "just works" as the *buntu distros try to live up to, without such success being normal. I'm loving it. Everything is so easy!

Now I've said that, I'll no doubt find something to complain about in the future, but this has been the best experience of a new system I've ever had.

Ian
momist : a follower of the Greek god Momer.
drjster

Post by drjster »

kmb42vt wrote:
drjster wrote:

My disappearing MDM disappearing login issue resurfaced even though I didn't upgrade the kernel or do any updates. I replaced the MDM login manager with LightDM and the default Mint background now shows at login without any Ubuntu remnants. Specifically, I installed lightDM, lightDM-gtk-greeter and liblightdm-gobject-1-0 and when prompted chose lightDM as my default login manager. It appears to work just fine.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

drjster wrote:My disappearing MDM disappearing login issue resurfaced even though I didn't upgrade the kernel or do any updates. I replaced the MDM login manager with LightDM and the default Mint background now shows at login without any Ubuntu remnants. Specifically, I installed lightDM, lightDM-gtk-greeter and liblightdm-gobject-1-0 and when prompted chose lightDM as my default login manager. It appears to work just fine.
I may just do the same thing. One question; did you remove MDM afterwards of did you keep it installed?
drjster

Post by drjster »

kmb42vt wrote:
drjster wrote:My disappearing MDM disappearing login issue resurfaced even though I didn't upgrade the kernel or do any updates. I replaced the MDM login manager with LightDM and the default Mint background now shows at login without any Ubuntu remnants. Specifically, I installed lightDM, lightDM-gtk-greeter and liblightdm-gobject-1-0 and when prompted chose lightDM as my default login manager. It appears to work just fine.
I may just do the same thing. One question; did you remove MDM afterwards of did you keep it installed?
I first attempted to install GDM and it couldn't complete because of a mutually shared file with MDM. So I uninstalled MDM and GDM successfully installed. I tried out GDM but could not get a Mint theme to work. So I installed LightDM and chose that as my default login manager leaving GDM installed but not being used unless I had trouble with LightDM,
which I initially did. I logged in with GDM for the one time via command line and realized that the lightDM-gtk-greeter had to be installed which I did. Upon restart, the LightDM login screen was displayed with the Mint Maya default background and login worked fine and each time after that. So the short answer to your question is that I was sure to leave a proven login manager installed until I knew that LightDM worked....IMO, leaving MDM installed would be a good idea until you get LightDM working. I don't think it can cause any issues if it's not the default and you can always uninstall it later as I might do with GDM....though it really isn't necessary afaik. Good luck and don't hesitate to post if you have any issues.

Note: I am running Maya Mate and haven't tried the above with Cinnamon. There is what appears to be a good, brief tutorial for a Cinnamon install of LightDM here:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 8&t=102716
Last edited by drjster on Mon May 28, 2012 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
psyckers
Level 1
Level 1

Post by psyckers »

I had similer experiences with the MDM disappearing. Strangely I suppose it seems it resolves itself if you push the tab button on the keyboard.
Not sure why that is as I was quite prepared to tweek the lightDM-gtk-greeter as you decided to do, to resolve it.

So there you go, sometimes the humble 'Tab' button has uses to resolve such issues. 8)
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

psyckers wrote:I had similer experiences with the MDM disappearing. Strangely I suppose it seems it resolves itself if you push the tab button on the keyboard.
Not sure why that is as I was quite prepared to tweek the lightDM-gtk-greeter as you decided to do, to resolve it.

So there you go, sometimes the humble 'Tab' button has uses to resolve such issues. 8)
Stupid question here. When exactly do you hit the tab key? After MDM disappears of during boot up?
Jay514

Post by Jay514 »

I am in the process of Downloading Cinn x64 Now too test on my old Lappy, Thanks All 8)
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

On the disappearing MDM issue, I finally installed GDM and called it done. Installing LightDM worked once and then I got this jumbled mess of a login screen. The login box was there and worked correctly but was un-themed and the background was a mess of what looked like every single icon installed, bits of what looked like open windows (Open windows? At a login screen?). GDM works fine. The login box is themed properly and the background screen is blank. Works for me. I just wish someone would fix MDM, I can't seem to.

I filed bug reports at Launchpad and Github (in the MDM section). If someone could add they're two cents about this MDM problem, here's the link to the Github bug report I filed:

https://github.com/linuxmint/mdm/issues/3
psyckers
Level 1
Level 1

Post by psyckers »

kmb42vt wrote:
psyckers wrote:I had similer experiences with the MDM disappearing. Strangely I suppose it seems it resolves itself if you push the tab button on the keyboard.

Stupid question here. When exactly do you hit the tab key? After MDM disappears of during boot up?
Nothing stupid about that question kmb42vt, I pushed the 'Tab' button when the MDM disappeared and about 2 seconds later it reappeared.
It must be a crack in the universe or something because I am sure my machine doesn't actively debug these things on the fly.
BVanheede

Post by BVanheede »

Is it possible to upgrade an existing Mint 12 desktop to 13? Or only clean install possible?
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

You can always upgrade and it is always not recommended :D
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

BVanheede wrote:Is it possible to upgrade an existing Mint 12 desktop to 13? Or only clean install possible?
Please take a look here: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”