Linux Mint 13 "Maya" RC released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
CK7

Re: Linux Mint 13 "Maya" RC released!

Post by CK7 »

aloysius wrote:
CK7 wrote:Im running LM 12.
I wanna to try LM 13.
But I cannot boot into installation screen ( all edition ).
I've been told that in my case it's a problem with the kernel version and my broadcom wifi card.
Perhaps it's the same for you?
Ya , maybe ! Wait for LM13 final release :-s
buzzingrobot

Post by buzzingrobot »

Installed 13/Cinnamon this morning and like what I see. I've seen a feel rough edges, the most annoying being printer setup finds my network printer but I can't successfully print. The printer setup dialogue seems to have missing pieces. It also tells me about services I need to enable in FirewallD, even though the firewall is not enabled. I assume it's the same package as on Ubuntu 12.04, where the correct printer is found after I point the routine to its IP address. That doesn't work on 13.

Two little cosmetic burps: Software Manager doesn't say "Installed" when it completes an install. Stays stuck on "Installing". Additional Drivers has references to Unity.
zohall
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zohall »

Great news . :D
thank u
mysoomro

Post by mysoomro »

Great news.. Just received the news in an email this morning.. Can't wait to try the new release..
A question struck my head when received the news about Maya..
Where do these names come from?? Lisa, Katya, Maya, Julia, Isodora, these all seems like girls' names.. Who are these girls?
Zikco

Post by Zikco »

mysoomro wrote:Great news.. Just received the news in an email this morning.. Can't wait to try the new release..
A question struck my head when received the news about Maya..
Where do these names come from?? Lisa, Katya, Maya, Julia, Isodora, these all seems like girls' names.. Who are these girls?
Compare them in release order to the alphabet. :wink:
forbinproject

Post by forbinproject »

Visually, Maya is looking really polished. I wish there were a way to drag the icons into the workspaces to launch them pre-organized. Ctrl alt up / Ctrl alt down for me is kinda clunky for expo and scale. It'd be nice if they were mapped to single keys so I could leave one hand on the mouse, ready select the app or workspace. Maybe i Just haven't found it yet, but is there a way to select the application or workspace when using expo and scale, so I could avoid the mouse entirely? More keyboard shortcuts please. Also, it bugs me that there is no up and down switching workspaces, only left and right. :/ I'm truly amazed at how much has gotten done by the Mint team in 6 months with the Main distro, but also all the hard work that went into LMDE too.
DrTeeth

Post by DrTeeth »

mfctyro wrote:If I install the release candidate do I have to install the release version? Or does the RC transmute into the release version if I keep updating?
On past performance, the RC will upgrade to the final release. Personally, I prefer a clean install of a final and often find things to be more consistent with a final install than an RC > final upgrade.

DrTeeth
rmockler

Post by rmockler »

I have installed the Maya RC MATE edition, and all went flawlessly, loving it. One question, probably asked many times, when the final release comes out, will I be able upgrade the RC release through Update Manager, or will I have to burn a new DVD, back up, and install the final release?
Thanks,
~rmockler
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

I've run into my first issue with the Mint 13 RC. After some updates today I notice that every time I come out of suspend the wireless will auto-connect and show connected like it should, but I have no usable connection. A restart puts it right again, but this is a big bug for me if it doesn't right itself. Note that I'm dual booting the same machine with SolusOS and do not have this issue with it. I think it had to be recent updates to the RC because it wasn't doing this before.
kbd47
edit: now that I recall, this is an issue I had with Ubuntu 12.04 when I was testing it out. Same thing with wireless showing a connection but no actual connection. I was afraid the buntu 12.04 bugs would start showing up in Mint 13. Never had this issue with Mint 12 on same computer :(
Yardbird

Post by Yardbird »

I have a problem with easytag in linux mint 13 RC.
easytag does not save changed tags
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

13 cinnamon running nicely here installed in yesterday. no major problems Thanks gang :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
Yardbird

Post by Yardbird »

Easytag seems to have some problems with linux mint 13 RC.
The tags are changed but cannot be saved.
Does easytag need some extra codecs to work propally?
barrieluv
Level 2
Level 2

Post by barrieluv »

Installed Mint 13 RC Mate edition last night on my HP Pavilion DV6.
No real issues except after installing the latest AMD Catalyst drivers from the website, I lost my display.
So I reinstalled and used the Fglrx package available in Synaptic and everything's fine now.
Added Jupiter and my machine idles at around 58c which is the same as I was getting on Ubuntu 10.10.
Also added the Gimp ppa so 2.8 is installed as well. :)
All in all, a very, very nice experience so far.
Many thanks to Clem and the team!
EeePC 701 Ubuntu 10.04 || HP Pavilion DV6 Linux Mint 17 Mate Edition
Goz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Goz »

zohall wrote:Great news . :D
thank u
It is exciting...I'm waiting for the Compiz stuff to get sorted out..
Think of Windows 10 as Hotel California for computers.
robenroute
Level 2
Level 2

Post by robenroute »

buzzingrobot wrote:Installed 13/Cinnamon this morning and like what I see. I've seen a feel rough edges, the most annoying being printer setup finds my network printer but I can't successfully print. The printer setup dialogue seems to have missing pieces. It also tells me about services I need to enable in FirewallD, even though the firewall is not enabled. I assume it's the same package as on Ubuntu 12.04, where the correct printer is found after I point the routine to its IP address. That doesn't work on 13.

Two little cosmetic burps: Software Manager doesn't say "Installed" when it completes an install. Stays stuck on "Installing". Additional Drivers has references to Unity.
Have you tried opening localhost:631 (in a web browser), and configuring your printer from there? LM12 gave me similar hassles and the CUPS route solved my problems.

Regards,
Robenroute
dnessett

Post by dnessett »

clem wrote:
The team is proud to announce the release of Linux Mint 13 “Maya” RC. Available in two editions, Linux Mint 13 features the choice between a productive, stable and mature MATE 1.2 desktop and the brand new modern-looking and exciting Cinnamon 1.4. These two desktops are among the best available, they’re perfectly integrated within Linux [...]
Announcement: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2010
How do you report a bug in LM 13 RC? I registered and attempted to access the bugs forum, but it is locked.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Bugs on the RC you post as comments to the blog announcement, as stated there (please search first to see if somebody else already posted it). Bugs in the final release are tracked on Launchpad and GitHub (for Cinnamon).
chrnoble

Post by chrnoble »

About 24 hours of Mint 13 MATE. I have to say: This, by you, is a RC? Really? This is more stable, so far, than any final release I've tried since Mint 10. Everything installed, NVIDIA driver up and running (more than I can say for Ubuntu), and I haven't had a single problem- nothing, nada, not a one.
I went with MATE, after a lot of thought. I've tried Gnome 3 shell, Unity, and Cinnamon, and I honestly don't have a problem with any of them. I don't think G3shell is a disaster, and Unity is obviously not sinking Ubuntu, although Cinnamon is, I think, preferable to both. Nope, it's just that I think I've reached my "You kids get off my lawn" threshhold, insofar as desktops are concerned. I may change desktops in the future, probably when I get a new machine (probably a year or two away), but I prefer working in the Mint Gnome 2 environment. MATE is exactly that.
So, like I said, the RC? Might as well call it the final release, at least as far as my machine is concerned.
RamBurner
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RamBurner »

You have done a great job with Mint 13, I didn't care for that ex-wife named Lisa edition lol.
The Mint 13 Mate edition is what this old guy was waiting for.
Great work, thank you !!! :mrgreen:

This is an edition that I will happily put on clients machines.
Ok now...when is final coming out? 8)
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Has anyone else noticed that in LM 13/Cinnamon RC, the volume level reverts back to the default level when you reboot? I keep having to turn the volume back down to a lower level after every boot/reboot.

Also, where are we reporting bugs for this RC? Launchpad (Linux Mint) is rather useless these days (1042 "new" bugs going back to Linux Mint 9?) plus there's no Maya category or tag and Maya RC is not listed in Launchpad's "Advanced search" for Linux Mint so I can't search to see if the bugs I wish to report have already been reported without sifting through pages of old bug reports. There's no place here at the forums to report bugs for RC releases any longer. Is Launchpad really the only place to report bugs?
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)

Return to “Releases & Announcements”