Linux Mint 13 "Maya" released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
xtremo

Re: Linux Mint 13 "Maya" released!

Post by xtremo »

I've been on Linux since Hardy and this has to be the most polished release I've ever used.
zerubbabel
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zerubbabel »

I also am very pleased with Mint 13/Cinnamon. I running the 64-bit version on a Dell Latitude 2.5 GHz Core i5 with 4G RAM and an Intel Sandybridge Mobile graphics card. Smoothest install ever, and not a hitch since then. This is my third Mint release, after having run Ubuntu since 2006, until Unity replaced Gnome 2. My main tools are LibreOffice, Scribus, and Gimp 2.8, and of course Firefox and Thunderbird. Very grateful for the diligent labors of Clem & his crew, whoever they are.
40ozskills

Post by 40ozskills »

I too like a few others am having issues with my internet. I use a hard wired ethernet connection, and have done all troubleshooting possible to fix it. When i boot into my Windows 7 machine my internet is flawless, but with mint 13 it is hit or miss. I boot into mint 12 and all is fine and working well, so I have narrowed it down to mint 13. Other than this issue I love mint 13 so far and cinnamon as well, definately my favorite DTI. If I could get an update on the internet from anyone that may know something it would be much appreciated, thanks guys. Keep up the good work.
diegnome

Post by diegnome »

Fantastic distro!!!!
I've tried Mint before but this release takes the cake in finesse and elegance.
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Post by red-e-made »

Been a while since I posted on this forum, although I've been using Mint since Mint 3 and - apart from a brief affair with Mandriva that ended badly - have been using Mint ever since. Felt I'd like to contribute some feedback here, for what it's worth.

First off, thank you so much for dropping Gnome 3. It's unstable, bloated and, while providing loads of options, is still pretty confusing to navigate. This is why I found MGSE a confusing concept - it seemed like an almost purely cosmetic sheen added to Gnome 3 without streamlining it but actually adding more to it. MATE in Mint 12 was fine, but I found my CPUs running really high when I used it. Eventually, I went with LXDE and quite enjoyed it.

Now, I shed no tears for the departure of LXDE from Mint's official DE's. Although I didn't take part, I think the poll was a great idea in terms of getting to know what it is the community wants. XFCE is a bit too flimsy for me, though, so I gave both Cinnamon and MATE for Mint 13 test runs.

Cinnamon has a great look, runs fast and sleek, and has a lot of nice features. Unfortunately, having to restart X in order to see, let alone engage, even minor desktop changes like changing the panel position is pretty much a non-starter for me. I love to spend time tweaking the look of my machine. Having to restart it, over and over, to see what these changes might look like, change them back or into something else if I don't care for them, seems like a collosal waste of time. It's a shame, too, because please don't get me wrong here - I think Cinnamon looks great, and just might end up rivalling MATE, but at the moment it's just too bloated and impractical for me. Having said that, I have complete faith the Mint Team are going to do great things with this DE, so I'll be having my eye on it.

I'm currently using Mint 13 MATE. Love it. This is an actual improvement of Gnome 2.X - it has all the features I love, the added features are intuitive to navigate and improve the experience, it's stable and fast, and it looks great. And of course, Mint 13's entire system continues to improve upon its predecessors.

Anyway, just my two cents. Thanks again for your efforts, guys, and keep up the great work!
harshpandit07

Post by harshpandit07 »

hey guys
need a help here..
i remastered a mint 13 cinnamon dvd and used remastersys 2.8 to do so.
now when i am testing in virtualbox its asks me for username and passoword..
there is no automatic login like in maya live cd.
so whats the username and password.??
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

try

user: admin
password: [blank]
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

bimsebasse wrote:try

I though that the username was mint.
40ozskills

Post by 40ozskills »

cwwgateway wrote:

I too thought it was just "mint" for the user name and no password
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

40ozskills wrote:
cwwgateway wrote:

I too thought it was just "mint" for the user name and no password
I know for a fact it's true for Linux Mint Debian and I thought it was true for Linux Mint main edition as well. I'll give it a try a bit later with LM 13 Live session and see.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
MyWorld

Post by MyWorld »

red-e-made wrote:Been a while since I posted on this forum, although I've been using Mint since Mint 3 and - apart from a brief affair with Mandriva that ended badly - have been using Mint ever since. Felt I'd like to contribute some feedback here, for what it's worth.

First off, thank you so much for dropping Gnome 3. It's unstable, bloated and, while providing loads of options, is still pretty confusing to navigate.
--snip--
Same here, I do not post here often, and this is just a quick post to say thank you very much for a great release. I'm proud to once again promote Mint!
Big up to all the devs!
Finalfantasykid

Post by Finalfantasykid »

I would like to install Mint 13 with Cinnamon on my sister's computer, which has an Nvidia card (old 7800GT Go). Are there still any problems with cinnamon/nvidia combination? Also when is the next stability release for cinnamon. I have been seeing lots of commits for Cinnamon, but nothing for the stable branch for a long time.
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

Finalfantasykid wrote:I would like to install Mint 13 with Cinnamon on my sister's computer, which has an Nvidia card (old 7800GT Go). Are there still any problems with cinnamon/nvidia combination? Also when is the next stability release for cinnamon. I have been seeing lots of commits for Cinnamon, but nothing for the stable branch for a long time.
I don't know when Cinnamon 1.5 will come out, but it should work pretty well on all graphics cards because of Cinnamon "2d"/llvmpipe.
ChrisOfBristol

Post by ChrisOfBristol »

ChrisOfBristol wrote:I'm afraid that although I really liked the look of the Cinammon version I have found it unusable. With the Release Candidate the desktop seized up about once a day, which was just about bearable, but after I installed the final release earlier today the desktop started to seize up once every couple of minutes when I was editing a LibreOffice Writer document.
I had been using Gnome 3 since, but recently decided to try Cinammon again and I added it to the list of login options. It still seized up daily so I have given up on it.
Last edited by ChrisOfBristol on Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
How-old!
Level 2
Level 2

Post by How-old! »

Making a number of hardware changes, rationalisations, etc. Lazslo (or was it Jesse?) seems to think there'll be a KDE & Xfce along soon? Only ever use Xfce these days so would appreciate ball-park figure/confirmation of expected other releases. Thanks a bundle.
willation

Post by willation »

I use mainly 64 bit Cinnamon. I will remove Windows Vista and replace it with Mate on my first laptop from 2007. I like to build PCs and with Linux the possibilities are endless in exploration. Thanks Team Mint for an excellent Distro! I enjoy the codenaming with a female name instead of the "Precise Pangolin" :lol:
dexone

Post by dexone »

installed Linux mint 32bit looks pretty good, i'm newbie in this kind of OS, but it seems that its user friendly like windows.
but im having a problem in clicking icons? facebook gaming, its a kind of "lagging" when clicking
my video card is evga gt430, i cant update to post installed nvidia, it has an error

probably 98% excellence for this work

thanks.
Total_Blue
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Total_Blue »

I am running 64bit Cinnamon as my main desktop, which has replaced Windows 7. I have set it up so a friend has his own login on my compter as well. He's not into computers except as a user, and he mainly likes to look at pictires and watch online videos. My friend has commented to me that not only does the system seem faster, the graphics are much nicer and the sound is much better.
:D
bugmenotprettyplz

Post by bugmenotprettyplz »

Tried using ppa-purge to downgrade some packages, but the system looked for replacements in the "oneiric" repos rather than the "precise" ones.
dagon
Level 7
Level 7

Post by dagon »

bugmenotprettyplz wrote:Tried using ppa-purge to downgrade some packages, but the system looked for replacements in the "oneiric" repos rather than the "precise" ones.
Look here:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 97&start=0

Return to “Releases & Announcements”