Linux Mint 13 "Maya" released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
svgt
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Linux Mint 13 "Maya" released!

Post by svgt »

The installation Mate 32bit crashes with a kernel nullpointer bug. I use a motherboard with Nvidia chips. The onboard graphic chip is Nvidia C73 Geforce 7100.

The error message is:

Code: Select all

BUG: unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at 00000140
IP: [<c11bff10>]ext4_evict_inode+0x30/0x460
*pde = 7f533067
Oops: 0000 [#1] SMP
The same installation medium works pretty well with non-nvidia graphics.
Last edited by svgt on Thu May 24, 2012 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrnoble

Post by chrnoble »

Mint 13 MATE is fantastic; out-of the box, no issues, none, nada.
Mint 13 Cinnamon, however... not so much.
Everything goes swell, at first- installation and updates have no problem. I install the NVIDIA driver, reboot, and...
The panel is missing, and so are the window borders. Alt+f2 does not restart Cinnamon. This is also an issue in Gnome Classic, but not an issue in Gnome Classic (no effects).
It looks like a Compiz issue, to me- the missing windows borders thing started happening when Compiz crapped itself in Mint 11, remember- but my Nvidia driver might have something to do with it: it's a GeoForce 6150SE.
Remember when all you had to do with Compiz was click the button? Good times, good times...
Anyway, MATE is fine, no issues with Nvidia (or anything else, for that matter). But it is a shame; I really like Cinnamon. Anyone else run into this issue?
Richard Kimber

Post by Richard Kimber »

Being relatively new to Mint, I'm puzzled by the upgrade policy. I have adequate backups of my data. Yet a simple package upgrade is discouraged. Is this because Mint does stuff in a different way from Ubuntu, and a package upgrade method that works OK hasn't been developed for Mint? I've used Ubuntu for several years and had no significant problems with their upgrade method. I'm really not keen on re-installing each release. In the past I've only ever re-installed every 2 or 3 years.
RevLouM

Post by RevLouM »

One particular thing I would like to thank you for, Clem...

(NOT to sound like a Luddite spoilsport!)

The issue of "Do I need to upgrade?" and the point: (paraphrased) "If everything is working fine and you're happy, no." I use -12 Lisa- as my everyday. I probably still use only a fraction of it's capabilities, and because of that I am "happy with it". Thanks for pointing it out! There are several distros that do not, and of course, from the "commercial" O/S the pressure to upgrade is phenomenal.

Thanks again!
ChrisOfBristol

Post by ChrisOfBristol »

I'm afraid that although I really liked the look of the Cinammon version I have found it unusable. With the Release Candidate the desktop seized up about once a day, which was just about bearable, but after I installed the final release earlier today the desktop started to seize up once every couple of minutes when I was editing a LibreOffice Writer document.

I've now installed the MATE version which has not seized up so far. If I can fix this problem I will stick with it:

Windows have no title bars/buttons.
realitykid

Post by realitykid »

I like Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon, and must congratulate the team for such a good release once more. However, it does bug me that a stable release comes with a version of Cinnamon that still crashes and restarts at random. In fact, it does it more often now than it did in Mint 12. I'm willing to stick it out for as long as possible. But, if this problem can't be fixed in the near future, then I'm gunna have to go to MATE.
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

ChrisOfBristol wrote:I've now installed the MATE version which has not seized up so far. If I can fix this problem I will stick with it:

Windows have no title bars/buttons.
Sounds like the window manager has gone.
realitykid

Post by realitykid »

Wow, I've been getting updates out the wazoo with Mint 13. lol. I wonder when internet connection sharing is going to be fixed. No, I don't blame the Mint team for this as I believe it's a Ubuntu related issue that just happened to travel its way to Mint 13.
ChrisOfBristol

Post by ChrisOfBristol »

/dev/urandom wrote:Sounds like the window manager has gone.
I've found this on the Mint 11 page:
Compiz Fusion
If you experience problems with the window manager (with window borders, focus or mouse clicks) launch "Fusion Icon" from the menu, and use the Fusion tray icon to switch your window manager to "Metacity".
Should I try to get this "Fusion tray icon" and follow these instructions?
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

I would rather recommend you to find out why the WM has been exited, but you could as well do that, yes.
ChrisOfBristol

Post by ChrisOfBristol »

I need to get on with a document I'm writing, so I took a chance and just had a go, this is what I typed and what happened, note that I did a ^C in the middle because nothing seemed to be happening.

chris@Asus ~ $ fusion
fusion: command not found
chris@Asus ~ $ fusion-tray
fusion-tray: command not found
chris@Asus ~ $ fusion-icon
 * Detected Session: mate
 * Searching for installed applications...
Backend     : ini
Integration : true
Profile     : default
Initializing decor options...done
 * Using the GTK Interface
 * Decorator "/usr/bin/compiz-decorator" is invalid.
 * Setting decorator to GTK Window Decorator ("gtk-window-decorator --replace")
 * Starting Compiz
 ... executing: compiz --replace --sm-disable --ignore-desktop-hints ccp
compiz (core) - Warn: Unknown option '--ignore-desktop-hints'

Backend     : ini
Integration : true
Profile     : default
Adding plugins
Initializing core options...done

^CTraceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/fusion-icon", line 58, in <module>
    choose_interface(try_first=options.interface)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/FusionIcon/interface.py", line 88, in choose_interface
    import_interface(chosen_interface)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/FusionIcon/interface.py", line 34, in import_interface
    __import__('FusionIcon.interface_%s' %interface)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/FusionIcon/interface_gtk/__init__.py", line 3, in <module>
    import main
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/FusionIcon/interface_gtk/main.py", line 213, in <module>
    gtk.main()
KeyboardInterrupt
chris@Asus ~ $ 
It doesn't seem to have achieved anything.
I would rather recommend you to find out why the WM has been exited, but you could as well do that, yes.
If I manage to finish this document in time, I'll do some research on the Web to find out what a WM does, and why they might exit.
Thanks for your help, I like Mint/MATE so I'd like to get it working properly.
3fRI

Post by 3fRI »

As much as I like desktop minimalism, I decided to install LM 13 Cinnamon on my iMac. First, I backed up all my files with DejaDup AND the default Backup Tool, followed by a custom install of Mint 13 Cinnamon. The install was quick and smooth. After installing the initial updates, I also ran a second update and distro update. I then re-installed my favorite programs, including Deja Dup, which did a great job restoring all my personal files as well as e-mail, browser, and even music settings.

LM 13 Cinnamon on my iMac is fast, clean, and GORGEOUS! Everything works and no regrets! Many thanks to Clem and who collaborated and contributed to the development. I've tried quite a few distros during the past two years, but Maya is the best yet! :D (That said, I'll probably stick to LXDE on the older MacBook, even though it could probably handle 32 bit LM 13 fine.) :roll:
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

ChrisOfBristol wrote:If I manage to finish this document in time, I'll do some research on the Web to find out what a WM does, and why they might exit.
Thanks for your help, I like Mint/MATE so I'd like to get it working properly.
Good luck!
cra1g321

Post by cra1g321 »

Decided to see the MATE version to show appreciation for a great release.

Here's the stats after just one day of seeding - http://i.imgur.com/7Q21z.png

8)
qhris
Level 1
Level 1

Post by qhris »

What about gnome3, is it not to be implemented now? I kinda am used to it. :)
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

qhris wrote:What about gnome3, is it not to be implemented now? I kinda am used to it. :)
No, there won't be a gnome shell version. Cinnamon is a gnome-shell fork, though, and you can install gnome-shell on the cinnamon edition very easily with this command:

apt install gnome-shell
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

Just install Mint 13 mate, since it kinda grew on me using Mate with LMDE, other than a Grub 2 problem that I fixed, only thing I don't like is not a Mint problem, the Compiz 1.0, it's just nasty on my computer anyway, the Version .8.4 in debian testing that I'm using with LMDE works better so I just removed Compiz from Mint 13.

So far everything seems to be working great.
maxghi

Post by maxghi »

Hello all :)

I am having a problem installing Mint13 on my laptop but I think it is not exactly specific of my laptop.

I have Windows and old Ubuntu 10 on other partitions and I already a bootloader on sda, so what I would like to do is to install Mint13 with this configuration:
sda8 ext2 /boot
sda10 ext4 /
bootloader on sda8

It all goes well and Mint13 copies all data on hard disk, except when it is time for installing bootloader. I always get error "Installazione del bootloader non riuscita" (it is in Italian, I think in English should sound something like "Failed installing bootloader"). I get 3 options:
1) Choose a new device where to install booloader (but I cannot choose a different one)
2) Continue without bootloader
3) Quit installation

This morning I tested this configuration on a Virtual Box machine:
sda1 ext2 /boot
sda2 ext4 /
bootloader on sda1

and again I get the same problem. That's why I think it is not something related with my laptop (it is a Dell Studio 1535 anyway)

Any hints ?

Thank you, bye :)

Update:
I tried on a Virtual Box Machine the same configuration with Ubuntu 12.04 (server) and again it can't install bootloader, then I tried with Ubuntu 10.04 (server) and it worked...
I suppose it has something to do with Ubuntu 12.04 then
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

maxghi, you may consider putting /boot on Ext4 instead? Perhaps it is somehow releated to separate /boot and/or Ext2...
Tomtom

Post by Tomtom »

xernos wrote:@Tomtom
I found workaround for this problem in my LM12 - adding one line to /etc/rc.local before exit 0.

echo 4 > /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness

Number is power of brightness from 0 to 10 (only whole numbers).

PS.
I will wait for 13.1 :} .
Now It doesn't work for me. I opened configurationeditor instead. Search for brightness_ac and in apps/mate-power-manager/backlight I changed it from 100 to 30 and this worked. I am not an expert so I don't know if I did the right thing though. :?:

But I do know that I did the right thing by adding the usual set of programs: opera, gmusicbrowser, audacious, smplayer, wine for FastStone image viewer and shiki-wise theme. Btw, I can pick from the deafult wallpapers first time. I like the mountainview the best. :wink:

Return to “Releases & Announcements”