Bianca is out!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
matthekc
Level 2
Level 2

Post by matthekc »

bianca is out and it has a permanant home on sda5. I have created sda6 for trying new distros and doing risky things to bianca
flumpy7
Level 1
Level 1

Bianca

Post by flumpy7 »

Just like to say congrats on Bianca....i thought bea was the best linux ever but Bianca has perfected it. Everything works nicely, glad it looks a little less ubuntuish....yum....minty. I even managed to get my Lexmark printer working! Deff time to get rid of windows completely.
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Bianca is out!

Post by npap »

Hello Clem,
I noticed that the Bianca release is not announced, and though Mint has gone up on the popularity scale, the LInuxMint page still shows LInuxMint 2.2 beta but no final release.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

npap: where on distrowatch?
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Bianca is out!

Post by npap »

On the page where the new releases are posted. For example:
Development Release: Ubuntu 7.04 Alpha 4
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

I sent two emails to Ladislav (distrowatch's maintainer) with links to the announcement, release notes and download pages but haven't heard from him yet. The first email was sent yesterday and the second one this morning. He's probably very busy or having problems with his email.. let's hope he'll fix that problem, there's nothing we can do about it.

Clem
AlsaPhil

Post by AlsaPhil »

Distrowatch: "last newsletters" on the left side give a link to the Linux Mint newsletter... that's all I could find there about our new release...

Distromania: nothing but Mint Beta
pghjake
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pghjake »

John,
There is a cool utility for downloading and installing ATI and Nvidia drivers included in Mint. It is called Envy. There are a couple of threads about in the forum, but the short version is you run envy from a terminal as root and it will take care of setting up your video for you. I used it on an Nvidia machine last night and it worked perfectly!
AlsaPhil

Post by AlsaPhil »

The people on the forum are also much nicer and more helpful than those on the Ubuntu forum.

Just a nice place to be.
Thanks a lot blacklinux. That had to be said: the ambient on this forum is really exceptional.
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Bianca is out!

Post by npap »

Hello everybody,
I don't see why anybody may have a problem with downloading or installing Bianca stable release.
Try burning your Iso at a slow speed, like 8KBbps, DAO mode in K3b.

I installed it to my hard disc in Greek :o Everything runs like a clock. :)

Greetings,npap
hsoltau
Level 1
Level 1

Update from Bea to Bianca

Post by hsoltau »

Hi everyone,

i just updated from bea to bianca, an d what what could i say, everythings working just fine...

thanx to everyone in the mint distro especially clem for the good work...

now i need just my games to get to go under mint and i could get rid of the ol ms stuff....

greetz to everybody
Henning
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Bianca is out!

Post by npap »

Welcome aboard hsoltau !

Bianca is a beauty. :) You will fall in love with her. :)
Greetings, npap
phantommaggot
Level 2
Level 2

Post by phantommaggot »

Finally got it and had time to install it.

at first g parted messed up my partitions but i straightened it out.

i am still however having the same problem as before. as soon as bianca started for the first time it was amazing, fast, and i just plain liked it. more importantly, my internet worked.

but once again, directly after updating it, no more wireless.

this is the only problem keeping me from using mint as my main operating system. if i cant get it working today, and maybe tomorrow im switching back to ubuntu. ill just download mintmenu, and mint disk lol..

otherwise, keep up the good work! i really liked the new wallpapers, and mintmenu seemed alot smoother. i didnt like that mintdisk wouldnt work when i ran it live.
hsoltau
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Bianca is out!

Post by hsoltau »

npap wrote:Welcome aboard hsoltau !

Greetings, npap
hi npap, thanx for the welcome,
i am already in love with linux mint, but as i said, although i am now 38 y now, i like pc gaming alot, so i had to stick to win in that way :roll:

i havent followed this wine emulation stuff that much, so is that a way to get rid of MS or not ? not completely i doubt ?

greetings
Henning
:D
whistlerspa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by whistlerspa »

Exactly my experience didn't upgrade (not even close) and f****d up Open Office totally.

I'm referring to the upgrade from bea to bianca when I say this
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

hsoltau wrote:

Greetings, npap
i am already in love with linux mint, but as i said, although i am now 38 y now, i like pc gaming alot, so i had to stick to win in that way :roll:

i havent followed this wine emulation stuff that much, so is that a way to get rid of MS or not ? not completely i doubt ?

greetings
Henning
Guten Morgen Henning,
No matter how old we are, there's the child in us who loves to play. :)
I have tried Wine and found out it worked in some cases, but not always.
Maybe a newer version, with bugs taken out, will work better.
Greetings, npap
hippy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by hippy »

I installed wine through automatix as i wanted to run the echolink programme for ham radio, i had previously tried the linux version but just could not get it too work, anyway with wine installed i downloaded echolink for windows and ran the installer, it works great using that programme, i have not tried other progs as this is all i need personally
hippy

"To touch the earth is to have harmony with nature." Oglala Sioux
hsoltau
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hsoltau »

npap wrote:
hsoltau wrote:

Greetings, npap

greetings
Henning
Guten Morgen Henning,
No matter how old we are, there's the child in us who loves to play. :)
I have tried Wine and found out it worked in some cases, but not always.
Maybe a newer version, with bugs taken out, will work better.
Greetings, npap
jássou npap,

imho i htink there will be no way to get to run the newer Win games, esp. Directx 10 games, therefore i confess i bougth a win vista ultimate sb version :oops: :oops: :oops:

there is no way to describe my regrets to have done that, in german there is an idiomatic expression, to throw out money thru the window, because thats what i did... :cry: :cry:

so i have a winxp, a vista and a partition with mint in my system, maybe as iam getting older the play instinct is getting less, so everthing i want to do is surf the I and stuff, and then i dont need anymore this scrap...

greetings again and excuses to all for my extensive blah-blah

henning :)
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

Quote:
there is no way to describe my regrets to have done that, in german there is an idiomatic expression, to throw out money thru the window, because thats what i did... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Correction: 'to throw out money for windows'
rlpw1011
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rlpw1011 »

Do not worry folks, When the Feisty Fawn version of Ubuntu comes out there should be support for a full VMware and you can just run Windows Inside your Linux

Return to “Releases & Announcements”