Bianca is out!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.

Re: Bianca is out!

Postby hsoltau on Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:41 am

npap wrote:Welcome aboard hsoltau !

Bianca is a beauty. :) You will fall in love with her. :)
Greetings, npap

hi npap, thanx for the welcome,
i am already in love with linux mint, but as i said, although i am now 38 y now, i like pc gaming alot, so i had to stick to win in that way :roll:

i havent followed this wine emulation stuff that much, so is that a way to get rid of MS or not ? not completely i doubt ?

greetings
Henning
:D
hsoltau
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby whistlerspa on Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:56 am

Exactly my experience didn't upgrade (not even close) and f****d up Open Office totally.

I'm referring to the upgrade from bea to bianca when I say this
whistlerspa
Level 1
Level 1

Postby npap on Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:17 am

hsoltau wrote:

Greetings, npap

i am already in love with linux mint, but as i said, although i am now 38 y now, i like pc gaming alot, so i had to stick to win in that way :roll:

i havent followed this wine emulation stuff that much, so is that a way to get rid of MS or not ? not completely i doubt ?

greetings
Henning

Guten Morgen Henning,
No matter how old we are, there's the child in us who loves to play. :)
I have tried Wine and found out it worked in some cases, but not always.
Maybe a newer version, with bugs taken out, will work better.
Greetings, npap

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Postby hippy on Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:29 am

I installed wine through automatix as i wanted to run the echolink programme for ham radio, i had previously tried the linux version but just could not get it too work, anyway with wine installed i downloaded echolink for windows and ran the installer, it works great using that programme, i have not tried other progs as this is all i need personally
hippy

"To touch the earth is to have harmony with nature." Oglala Sioux
hippy
Level 3
Level 3

Postby hsoltau on Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:35 am

npap wrote:
hsoltau wrote:

Greetings, npap

greetings
Henning

Guten Morgen Henning,
No matter how old we are, there's the child in us who loves to play. :)
I have tried Wine and found out it worked in some cases, but not always.
Maybe a newer version, with bugs taken out, will work better.
Greetings, npap

jássou npap,

imho i htink there will be no way to get to run the newer Win games, esp. Directx 10 games, therefore i confess i bougth a win vista ultimate sb version :oops: :oops: :oops:

there is no way to describe my regrets to have done that, in german there is an idiomatic expression, to throw out money thru the window, because thats what i did... :cry: :cry:

so i have a winxp, a vista and a partition with mint in my system, maybe as iam getting older the play instinct is getting less, so everthing i want to do is surf the I and stuff, and then i dont need anymore this scrap...

greetings again and excuses to all for my extensive blah-blah

henning :)
hsoltau
Level 1
Level 1

Postby npap on Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:40 am

Quote:
there is no way to describe my regrets to have done that, in german there is an idiomatic expression, to throw out money thru the window, because thats what i did... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Correction: 'to throw out money for windows'

Plato
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Postby rlpw1011 on Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:43 am

Do not worry folks, When the Feisty Fawn version of Ubuntu comes out there should be support for a full VMware and you can just run Windows Inside your Linux
rlpw1011
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Quicksilver 689 on Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:03 am

Also wanted to let everyone know - for those who (like me, at least, in the beginning) have had some issue or another with these iso's - at work, i dl'd the "penguin" site's ISO *once*, burned it *once*, and it worked perfectly from the get go.

Clem - just wanted to also say thanks for the greatest working OS I've ever used! I use W1nb10w$ only for music recording now, and that's only because of the $ I've already invested in Cakewalk Sonar and the like...

Chris

/m/ (><) /m/
Music Is The One True Universal Language
James 1:2-5,12
Quicksilver 689
Level 1
Level 1

Bianca is out!

Postby denz on Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:53 pm

Just want to say thanks for all the hard work that went into making Linux Mint! :D

Derek
denz
Level 1
Level 1

Bianca is out!

Postby npap on Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:32 pm

Welcome aboard Denz,
You will love Bianca as much as all of us do. :)

Greetings, npap

Plato
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Bianca is out!

Postby denz on Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:30 pm

Just installed it on a Acer laptop here at work.

No problems. This distro is very nice. I really like the Mint desktop and control center among many other things.

Great work!

Derek
denz
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kanishka on Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:41 am

Quicksilver 689 wrote:Also wanted to let everyone know - for those who (like me, at least, in the beginning) have had some issue or another with these iso's - at work, i dl'd the "penguin" site's ISO *once*, burned it *once*, and it worked perfectly from the get go.

Quote. It's been the same for me; everything went flawlessly. 8)
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Postby killer on Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:29 am

Holy cow, this distro is great! So much better than Ubuntu. Finally a distro that automatically mounts an NTFS partition read/write without my having to screw around with it.

And if that NDISwrapper utility works... neato.

Looks cool, too, (although the start button goes buggy when the task bar is set to transparent).

Has anybody seen the ranking on Distrowatch? Change 'Data Span' to last 7 days and click 'Refresh.' Mint is now number 7, ahead of Mandriva!

I haven't had time yet to mess with it much, but if it plays multimedia as well as advertised (mpc, flac, and DTS as well as mp3 would be nice) I'll be using (and recommending) it a lot.

As far as a KDE version, so far I do miss KView, KDisk, and having a file browser with an address bar, and that also doubles as a web browser (Konqueror, which could hardly <i>not</i> be included).
Personally, I usually use X-CD-Roast for burning, Video-DVDRip for the obvious, and I'm gonna have to get XMMS on this thing.

So there's my feedback so far. Keep up the good work, and spread the word!

Re: running windows apps, you could try Crossover Office, it's a better implementation of wine than wine alone.
killer
Level 1
Level 1

Bianca is out!

Postby npap on Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:41 pm

Welcome Killer,
Glad to see that you are another Mint enthusiast. :) You can still enjoy your favorite KDE programs.
Go to Menu and click on Install Software. When Synaptic comes on, click on Search and type (for example: Kview) or any other package, Kdisk, Konqueror etc.
You will be directed to the program you want, and selecting it you can install it.

Greetings, npap

Plato
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Postby killer on Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:38 pm

Thanks, npap.
I should've realized, of course.
I'll install a few of my faves and see how they do.
killer
Level 1
Level 1

download problems

Postby ian on Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:23 pm

I am having problems with downloading mint linux to try it.

lintelligence.de keeps giving a 'server busy or not responding
Germany: os-iso.de works but is too slow
USA: distroplanet.com works but is too slow
USA: homingpenguin.com refreshes the page instead of downloading when i click on the link.

The two sites that do download go much less than 1/10th the speed of a ubuntu download and dropout before the download is complete.

I saw that 'oztracker' mentioned something about seeding a torrent that everyone else could try and as he is also in australia this may help if only i knew where to look
ian
Level 1
Level 1

Postby tirian on Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:12 am

If more mirrors are needed, I'd be happy to mirror Linux Mint at http://www.linuxlefty.com/projects/mirrors/

Please email / PM me :)

~Peter
tirian
Level 1
Level 1

Postby finux on Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:26 am

Hi Guys,

I'm kinda new to linux and i fell in love with ubuntu, but i would just like to say i took ubuntu off and put mint on.

We have just started a linux society at my university and i'll be sure to let everyone know to use it;

I like the idea that someone had about the burning some cd's with mint on it and giving away a free mints, i'll be sure to do that at university.

Cheers
Arron
finux
Level 1
Level 1

Bianca is out

Postby Wayne on Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:25 pm

Hi all,

I'm new to Mint. I just found it at Christmas. I downloaded Bea and installed it on my laptop and desktop. Let me say first of all, IT'S GREAT! My Linux experience is not great. I have tried Mandrake, Red Hat, SuSE, Slackware, Fedora, but I was always missing things, especially on my Desktop, which is SCSI with 2 80 Gig HD's, a Mag Optical and a CDRW all SCSI, a DVD-RW, Zip250, and a LS-120 all IDE. There was always at least one of those devices missing. I was going to try Ubuntu when I found Mint and I installed it, WOW, everything works! I must say koodo's to all those involved with this distro!!!

I am a KDE fan from the couple classes I took so when I installed Bea I used Synaptic package manager and installed all the KDE packages. It worked!!! I have been using Bea since Christmas and love it. So two days ago when I found out Bianca was out I downloaded the iso and was going to istall it but I have too much stuff so I thought I'd try the upgrade path.
Well is worked, kind of. I, like others don't get the Biance boot screen and I used the right kernel, 2.6.17-11 when I did upgrade according to the directions (I am using KDE, not GDM for my login, but that shouldn't matter at that point). Also now when I try to apply patches Adapt package manager says there are some problems. I will have to look and get the exact error message, but Adapt package manager doesn't let me do anything at that point. I tried Synaptic Package manager also, with the same results. Any help with this would be greatly appreaciated!

Wayne 8)

today's government: "They Strain at knats and swallow camels." from the New Testament
Wayne
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Neo4 on Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:41 am

I would like to suggest that Bianca comes with Beryl included on the package and also a new release (like bianca 2.0) based on the new ubuntu for better support.
Neo4
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to Releases & Announcements