Linux Mint 5 Elyssa - BETA 032 is out!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa - BETA 032 is out!

Postby Calvin on Mon May 26, 2008 2:23 am

Thanks for letting us know Zwopper, downloading it now too. I still have an extensive bug log for 032 to post that i've been writing for the past hour or three so i'll post it as i download it. :D
Calvin
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Calvin on Mon May 26, 2008 2:47 am

Sorry it took so long to post up these bugs i've been having in Elyssa 032, I've been busy today. If you need more details ask, I'm keeping this beta until the next ones comes out.

Specs:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
nVidia Geforce 6150SE
400GB HDD
2GB RAM
20-inch wide screen LCD monitor (HP w2007)

Here are some general problem that affect both Daryna and Elyssa:

Scroll bars: When i try to move my mouse to the very edge of the screen and scroll it doesn't work, no matter if i change the theme i can't move it like i used to in Vista. If this is just Linux then it's fine but i just wanted to let you guys know that it happened.

Daemon dying: Daemon(Theme manager i think) doesn't work when i boot into the LiveCD or install until i get my nVidia drivers enabled using either Envy(NG) or the restricted drivers manager. Note: If i boot into safe mode i can still see the default theme but not use Compiz.

After Elyssa 032 installation:
After i booted into it i noted the loading screen is smaller than it should, i read deadguy's post and applied it but it didn't fix anything. Here are many quirks:

Audio volume is low, i have to set it on 85-100% to get what i used to get when i had it at 30% in windows and 60% in Daryna. I have RealTek HD Audio card though(does it make a difference?)

Compiz forgets it's settings after a while: I have compiz set to Extra(i love my compiz) but after a couple of hours it forgets and sets it to Normal.

Wobbly Windows don't stick: No more edge resistance?! Blasphemy!!!

Buttons changed for 3d windows cycling(may just be upgrade change) now it's Super+Alt+Tab when it used to be Super+Tab.

Drives don't automount anymore: I have all my stuff loaded onto a separate partition including my wallpaper and it's a pain to have to manually mount it every time i boot.

Openoffice.org Writer windows border decided to disappear when not in full screen mode. May have been Compiz related as it didn't happen after than one time.

About Me doesn't work, i get an error saying Evolution data center can't handle the protocol.

After update i got the flash problem, used the fix it worked fine.

Firefox RC1 likes to crash a lot i must note, my minty theme got reverted back to the default tango for Ubuntu after some time for some reason.

The fonts look pretty jaggy, fixed when set to Best shapes.

Inquiries:

I would like to know how i can summon Do via keyboard (it is running in the background, might as well use it).

Why is Hardware Information in Preferences?
Calvin
Level 1
Level 1

BETA 048 is out!

Postby Zwopper on Mon May 26, 2008 3:44 am

So far no flaws in 0.48!
It looks better (aurora engine installed), responds snappier - good job as usual by the Linux Mint team!
Lots of nice artwork from the community's most talented artists included!
I fail to see how this version can be improved upon till the final release. - Rock solid, nice looks!
Last edited by Zwopper on Mon May 26, 2008 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
My artwork at deviantART | My Tweet
CREA DIEM!
Lenovo E320 | 8GB | 512GB Samsung 840 PRO - SSD | Ubuntu 14.04
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Postby jasonwatkins on Mon May 26, 2008 4:02 am

what is confusing me is that in synaptic, it says that i have flashplayer-nonfree, flashplugin-nonfree and libflashsupport all installed.

if i navigate to a site that needs the flash plugin, i get the "install missing plugin button" so i click it. it goes through the installation process, i restart firefox and it still tells me that i need to install the missing plugin.

so i tried installing the RPM file from the adobe website, and get this error ..

error: Failed dependencies:
/bin/sh is needed by adobe-release-i386-1.0-1.noarch

so i tried downloading and unpacking the tar.gz version and running the flashplayer_install script, and when it asks for a valid installation path - e.g. /usr/lib/mozilla, it ignores whatever i enter.

if i enter /usr/lib/mozilla or /usr/lib/firefox it just keeps asking me for a valid installation path.

so i'm stuck !

i really have no clue other than maybe to un-install the flash stuff through synaptic and try it that way

*edit

as it seems beta 048 is out, would it be an easier solution to just re-format and do a clean install of that instead?
jasonwatkins
Level 1
Level 1

Re: BETA 048 is out!

Postby Calvin on Mon May 26, 2008 4:24 am

Zwopper wrote:So far no flaws in 0.48!
It looks better (aurora engine installed), responds snappier - good job as usual by the Linux Mint team!
Lots of nice artwork from the community's most talented artists included!
I fail to see how this version can be improved upon till the final release. - Rock solid, nice looks!

Dear god, i'm in the LiveCD and it works wonderfully. All of the bugs i've previously mentioned are gone, every single last one of them. I'm partitioning my hd so i can test this more, this seems like a gold release.
Calvin
Level 1
Level 1

Postby jasonwatkins on Mon May 26, 2008 4:45 am

ok don't be mean .. tell us where we can get 048 ... purleeeeeze :mrgreen:

(and yes, i've been googling .. )
jasonwatkins
Level 1
Level 1

Postby cjrl on Mon May 26, 2008 4:54 am

I've found 048 on the mirror download site at HEAnet..
cjrl
Level 1
Level 1

Postby digital moonfish on Mon May 26, 2008 4:54 am

try here ;)

h**p://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/5/LinuxMint-5-BETA-048.iso

:shock: :lol:
digital moonfish
Level 1
Level 1

Postby hotweiss on Mon May 26, 2008 5:12 am

Downloaded 048 at a whopping 1.4 MB/s. Not only is Mint the best distro, but it has the best download speed. It installed just fine. Bluetooth is working once again. Microphone had to be enabled, but that's an ALSA thing.

One request, can you have this set as default:

echo 0 > /sys/devices/platform/asus-laptop/ls_switch

The ambient light sensor is causing the computer to boot-up with a dim screen, in addition it takes away your brightness controls. The above command turns off the ambient light sensor and gives you back brightness control. This is as far as I know is an Asus notebook bug.
hotweiss
Level 4
Level 4

Postby jasonwatkins on Mon May 26, 2008 5:39 am

digital moonfish wrote:try here ;)

h**p://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/5/LinuxMint-5-BETA-048.iso

:shock: :lol:

cheers for that .. downloading now :)
jasonwatkins
Level 1
Level 1

Postby digital moonfish on Mon May 26, 2008 6:46 am

just installed LinuxMint-5-BETA-048.
and all i can say is ....smooth very smooth.
install was no problems. all drivers are in, updates are installed.
and its solid.

time to go try and break it.

:mrgreen:
digital moonfish
Level 1
Level 1

Postby clem on Mon May 26, 2008 7:19 am

IMPORTANT WARNING

BETA 048 hasn't been approved by Exploder yet. The only reason I pushed it out towards the mirrors is so we can quickly release it when and if Exploder gives the go ahead. Right now you're looking at an ISO which we don't know the quality of and there is a possibility that this ISO be deleted and replaced if something wrong is found about it.

Of course you can download it and have fun with it, but you should really wait for the announcements before you even consider this a BETA. There is absolutely no guarantee that this particular ISO (BETA 048) will be the one making it to the next public BETA release.

Clem.
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Previous

Return to Releases & Announcements