Linux Mint 5 Elyssa - BETA 032 is out!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
vinoman
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa - BETA 032 is out!

Post by vinoman »

aapiethaaap wrote:The crashing firefox with flash is a problem with the plugin, i saw the ubuntu bugreport and have experienced it myslef, it effects al browsers wich use the plugin so epiphany doesnt work properly either, only opera uses its own plugin so that is kind of usable when viewing flash.
I've experienced it myself and have noticed that Opera works better in this situation.

Do you think Ubuntu will have a fix for this?
xvedejas

Post by xvedejas »

Okay, Here's my sum up of using Mint Beta for one day. I probably didn't test it as extensively as some others might have, but I'll put in my €.02...

-The drivers for my GPU, a GeForce 7950 GT, didn't work in the Live CD, as they did in the Daryna Live CD.
-I have to type in "noapic" every time I boot my computer. I think I can just edit a grub file (I'll try this) but the average user would have no idea that they have to type this every time and would probably be annoyed by it if they did.
-Minor problem, when the restricted drivers module comes up with its info bubble, it says that "ubuntu" needs to use restricted drivers.
-For some reason changing any settings in compiz at all requires a log out. Huh.

Things you really could improve;

-There are still no native drivers for my printer, the iP1600. I can get it working, but I have to follow this guide; http://digitalife.wordpress.com/2008/04 ... linux-710/
-It'd be nice to put this in the repos; http://gfire.sourceforge.net/snapshots/
-If I increase the size of my panel, some icons in the notification area don't enlarge with it at all (like the network manager). It would be nice if these could scale too or something... (The Gnome notification area is annoying to me often, for more reasons than this. A mint version of this would be great.)
-Put Cairo-Dock in the repos; it's a really great program

The good things!

-My network now automatically connects when I log in. It wouldn't do this in Daryna for some reason.
-Envy worked perfectly for me, I've had no problems.
-Thank you so much for including the Advanced Desktop Effects Settings by default. Things like this will save some users many headaches.
-I like that you got rid of some redundant themes and added a little variety. Not much, but still nice.
-I tested various media files, they all worked! (mpeg4, wav, mp3, wma, ogg, and ogv) I already expected this from Mint, but nice to see you aren't letting me down.
-I love the live CD boot image thing. Very nice, it wasn't expected.
-I really think that Mint is going in the right direction. This release in the beta already feels more stable to me than the final release of Hardy! (Speaking of which, I think if Mint starts being based off of Debian and gets its versions out just before Ubuntu that would be a good plus)

Good job, guys. Keep doing whatever it is that you do!
mcurran

Post by mcurran »

Not that anyone should care about this, but I tried it on Virtual PC 2007: Besides having to use noreplace-paravirt as described by many for Hardy, the install froze at 87%, trying to obtain system time information from a sytem time network or something... I was only trying a virtual test, because this was at work. I'm going to wait until the official release for my new laptop.
KennyDeb

Post by KennyDeb »

How about Quicktime codec? I recommend to include it in the next version.

Try and play
http://www.apple.com/iphone/
big_dog1968

Post by big_dog1968 »

Husse wrote:
Control Center -> Personal Information - Error about reading adressbook-informations from the Evolution-Data-Server
* Aurora-GTK-Engine not installed - therefore some themes are let's say: "quite ugly"
The About me is an eternal problem - it should be invisible but is not. It needs Evolution which we don't use
Aurora is a glitch - mentioned in the release notes
Is there a way to install Aurora after Mint is up and running? Is this happening in Ubuntu as well or is it Mint Specific?
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

When I was installing, it got to a point where it said "downloading language packs" and had a new button to click that said "Skip". I did, no problems detected as a result.

Further along it was 95% complete and it said "Installing System" and the "Skip" button appeared again. Without a better description of what, exactly, was being installed it could have been dangerous to press it. This time I left it alone. What was it doing that could have been skipped?

One other thing, it doesn't recognize other partitions in /media. They have to be manually mounted even though I installed Krusader and configured it to automount other partitions.. Krusader is a KDE app so maybe that's the problem.

Other than that, nice beta/RC; I've had no problems so far. All mouse buttons work, no crashes... pretty smooth.
grizwald
Level 3
Level 3

Post by grizwald »

What an great logo at the beginning of the CD loading process! Brilliant!!!
Is it my imagination or has there been a subtle tweak to the partitioning process when installing Elyssa? It looked to me that this step is a lot easier for a non-technical person to install Mint on their Windows only computer than before. I think this is great and will now get some unsuspecting victim [oops] customer to try it on. Great work guys.

Meanwhile, I have been using Elyssa for most of the day, trawling around the net with NO glitches anywhere.

REALLY EXCELLENT work guys, CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Grizwald.
idiotkiwi
Level 2
Level 2

Post by idiotkiwi »

Down loaded and burnt. Checksum OK. Worked well as Live CD.
On installing went thru whole process to "Close and unload CD".
(using spare partitions for root & home)

On reboot no sign of it in Grub. Repeated process, hung at 94%.
Tried to reboot Daryna Grub looked Ok ran thru about 2/3 of normal
boot process and died.

Have had to reinstall Daryna. (No great problem, I'm used to it.)
Nothing of output to send.

Any suggestions

Regards
badmotor

Post by badmotor »

idiotkiwi wrote:Down loaded and burnt. Checksum OK. Worked well as Live CD.
On installing went thru whole process to "Close and unload CD".
(using spare partitions for root & home)

On reboot no sign of it in Grub. Repeated process, hung at 94%.
Tried to reboot Daryna Grub looked Ok ran thru about 2/3 of normal
boot process and died.

Have had to reinstall Daryna. (No great problem, I'm used to it.)
Nothing of output to send.

Any suggestions

Regards
Hey! A fellow Kiwi... how's it going? :D
idiotkiwi
Level 2
Level 2

Post by idiotkiwi »

Badmotor

Good to hear there are more of us. This is the time of the year I always (occasionally) think fondly of Auckland........... No frosts.

Regards
ATI HD2400 Pro

Post by ATI HD2400 Pro »

I am having problems when I activate my video card its an ATI HD 2400 Pro , its fine in hardy heron but not in mint, what could be the problem.

When I activate it and the files download and then reboot my keymap changes from french to american and also when I login I have a white screen with a cursor and thats it!
and once it would only give me a 800 * 600 resolution.

Everything is fine if I do not use the restricted drivers.

David
Husse

Post by Husse »

w6kkt wrote:Downloaded & installed Mint-5-Beta 032. Great distro. The only problem I had is no bootloader installed. No boot loader option in installation. My fix was to add Mint-5- Elyssa configuration script to Mint 4.0 grub menu.lst on another partitition. I have nine partitions using eight Linux operating systems on this computer. As I have stated many times, "Mint" and "Ubuntu" in my opinion. are the best of the best PC operating systems (including all versions of MS Windows) for the average pc user.
Thank You,

Jesse (w6kkt) :D
I had this problem to and reported a bug for Ubiquty
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/229281
If you read that you'll see that I found out why (probably) but not what to do about it
@ idiotkiwi - your problem seems somewhat different but it would be nice to know if you have a complicated partition structure
Husse

Post by Husse »

s there a way to install Aurora after Mint is up and running? Is this happening in Ubuntu as well or is it Mint Specific?
It will be corrected in the next release - I think Clem just forgot to add it
There is a package called texlive-generic-extra that is supposed to contain " aurora -- Header files for dvips to make colour separations."
I don't want to try it - the possible errors I get I want to come from the beta not a possible mistake by me :)
Husse

Post by Husse »

Error with ntp support
If you want to synchronize the clock with time servers you are asked if you want to install ntp support, install seems to go ok
But you are still stuck with "manual" and if you select synchronize again ntp is installed (no download now) but you are still stuck with manual
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

ratpertus wrote:Hi,
I think it's been mentioned before, but the lack of the automount feature in the way it worked in Daryana is quite annoying. I know the problem exits with Ubuntu 8.04, too. But maybe there's a way to fix that, so that editing /etc/fstab becomes unnecessary. Especially when it comes to newbies, this might be of great help.
Everything I have connected so far has been detected and automonted... :?
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

ratpertus wrote:For clarification: The problem I describes above doesn't concern usb-drives/stick that I plug in later. I've been talking about exisitng windows (ntfs) partitions that Ubuntu/Mint used to automount at login. At least on my system this doesn't happen anymore and it's annoying - the mp3-files for Rhythmbox are stored on a ntfs-partition on my system and if I forget to mount by hand, Rhythmbox clears its database as it can't find the files (to add a usage scenario).
Other partitions worked fine too, weird! :?
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
Dennis99

Post by Dennis99 »

Husse wrote:Error with ntp support
If you want to synchronize the clock with time servers you are asked if you want to install ntp support, install seems to go ok
But you are still stuck with "manual" and if you select synchronize again ntp is installed (no download now) but you are still stuck with manual
My install fixed after a restart, you then get an option to select servers.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I'll check reboot and ntp - it should not be that way but a reboot fixed it :shock:
And for me the only partition that was automounted (apart from swap) was root (not using a separate home here)
I can get them to mount by double clicking - no problem
SpudGun

Post by SpudGun »

Looks like its back to windows for me, linux mint was my last hope, i'm running mint3 at home and mint4 at work, but this new one cant run compiz for me, it dont run smooth with out it, i've been looking for a cure since hardy beta. Its actually less of a problem in hardy cos it will run the default effects and you can alter them with ccsm but just cant run the cube, in mint 5 it wont work at all. I will try the final when it comes out, but as clem said in another thread (if its a bug in ubuntu then it will probably be in mint too). Fingers crossed. :(
FewClues
Level 1
Level 1

Post by FewClues »

I downloaded the ISO within an hour of you making it available. I burned a CD and installed it as a clean install on my AMD64 machine and it is a beautiful thing to behold. A lot of attention to minutia as well as some great new applications. A great distribution made better!

However, I spent all day yesterday trying to get the same Linux Mint 5.0 Beta to work on a laptop with a wireless connection. There is a major problem in that the hardware list doesn't even reflect on the Broadcom board existing. I downloaded the restricted drivers - no change. I tried ndiswrapper - no change. So I reinstalled Linux Mint 4.0 and it came up running on the wireless without any help from me.

Wireless on laptops has long been the bane of the Linux world. How could we have "progressed" from a working wireless to a non-functional wireless? This is a Beta - and some problems are bound to occur - but this was totally unexpected - and unappreciated.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”