Linux Mint 5 Elyssa RC2 (BETA 048) is out!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
siete

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa RC2 (BETA 048) is out!

Post by siete »

It works really fine. Faster tha Daryna 4. But: some little problems:

1-The firewall don't allow me to connect to internet
2-I have installed Mophant (like lphant) on Daryna and works perfectly, but it's impossible for me to install it on Elyssa.
keithp
Level 3
Level 3

Post by keithp »

<Edit> For some unknown reason, the problem has gone away and Mint is now booting correctly. I hate these problems which solve themselves!

Sorry to have trouble you.

Original posting:

A very peculiar problem here with 048. It's never happened before with 032 or Daryna. (Or with any other distro I have tried).

LiveCD runs and works well.

Clean installation on hard drive goes well and everything I try, works.

Basic installation boots correctly. No problems.

I then install all the updates, using the update manager. After that, 048 refuses to boot!

It starts booting and then stops with the error message:

BusyBoxv1.1.3 (Debian 1:1.1.3-5ubuntu12) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.
(initramfs)_

I have done two clean installations, and the same thing has happened both times.

As I am the only person who has this problem, it must be something here and can't be a bug. But what?

I'm completely lost, so any help will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Keith
Last edited by keithp on Wed May 28, 2008 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
ric.dintino
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ric.dintino »

Post by Guest »

Hello!
How to install Mint RC2 in text mode, when boot from CD?
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

Guest wrote:Hello!
How to install Mint RC2 in text mode, when boot from CD?
Sorry, there is no alternate install CD, or I haven't seen one. Currently you can only install by running a live session.
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
d13g0

Post by d13g0 »

Hi there! :)
I'm very happy now the release is near.
I've found 2 things in both betas. When I tried to enter the to administration - login window (ventana de entrada) the system remains a lot of time "thinkin'" (4or5 minutes) before it open the aplication. The second one is about the spanish translation of the menu. I think SALIR is better option than QUITAR. Many thanks and good work Clem. Have a nice day.
bernado

Post by bernado »

Hy,

I can't create a new user with an EXISTING home folder after a fresh install. Error : (translated from german) " Personal Folder already exists, please choose a different path for the personal folder. "

I already know the problem when creating a new user. Maybe this is not a Mint problem but a problem (or for security reason) with Gnome. There should actually be a question like "should I use this existing folder or should I delete it"? 8)

Bernado
ElEdwards
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ElEdwards »

Anyone? :(
ElEdwards wrote:I have found Mint to be the most efficent and easy-to-use distro available.....and no matter what distro I try, I always come back home to Mint :)

I do commercial voice-overs and use Audacity for my recordings... and when I tried Hardy, I found that with Pulse audio, my recordings were not smooth but instead, were very choppy with parts of words missing.

I have heard that the Pulse in Hardy is a work-in-progress and doesn't yet duplicate the smoothness of ALSA/OSS.

....so my question:
Is the version of Pulse in Elyssa better than what is in Hardy? This audio issue alone is enough to prevent me from updating.

Thanks! :)
El
d13g0

Post by d13g0 »

Me again ;) I want to know why can't change firefox to spanish if there's one RC1 oficial release in spanish :?Thks everybody
lewmur
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lewmur »

Everything was working fine. But all of a sudden I can't launch several apps. Synaptic, mintUpdate and Partition Editor all fail to launch.
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

BUG
OPEN OFFICE WORD PROCESSOR CRASHING
After copying and pasting text and pictures for about an hour, the OO.org word processor started crashing. It kept asking if I wanted to have the material recovered. Every time it would recover only a small section.
This went on and on.

Clicking on a previously saved document it would also crash, asking again if I wanted the OO.o to recover the lost document.
Finally I ended up losing the major part that I had saved and was left with only a short recovered section.

I just hope it was something I did wrong.
zaheermk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zaheermk »

Hello All,

I had just downloaded Mint (beta 032), installed on my (roommate's) laptop and started testing last week... and lo, the second beta is out already. :?

Anyway, I am happy to see the second beta out... but, just had a doubt, shouldn't we all test it a bit more, so that the final one comes out with the minimum / least no. of bugs as possible?

Well, I can say this, since I had downloaded PCLinuxOS 2007 & 2008 (both GNOME editions) versions, two weeks back, but were not able to install due to two small bugs. Both the versions booted smartly in to the GUI on the live-CD mode. But the 2007, after installing, did not / could not boot in to X, even after my repeated humble troubleshooting attempts. And for the 2008, the installer just conks out, once the installation starts. :cry:

I've been waiting for Mint 5.0 for a long time... and I really wouldn't like anything of the above mentioned type of errors to come with the Mint 5.0 final. And that's the reason, I thought I should also download and test, and post bugs, if any.

Anyway, I will download the second beta and try to test this one also... and will for sure post them, if I find any bugs / errors.

And, for my own system, I am waiting for the Mint 5.0 XFCE CE to come out, since my m/c is a PIII 533MHz with 192MB RAM. As of for now, I've got Dreamlinux 3.1, Zenwalk 5.0 & Mandriva 2008.1 (all three with XFCE GUI) installed on it and is rocking. 8)

And till my next post... happy testing!
funky_uncle

Post by funky_uncle »

1. I can't seem to get to change my keyboard layout. I accidentaly chose an American layout but my keyboard is Norwegian.

2. Elyssa doesn't find/doesn't allow digital output from my nVidia card.

(not sure if the following are Mint bugs or Firefox bugs)

3. If I install Firefox 2 alongside Firefox 3, I'm unable to install add-ons for Firefox 2.

4. Trying to change preferences in Firefox 3 (edit->preferences) only produces a tiny window which has to be rescaled to even see the title, and it's absolutely empty. So I can't change any preferences.

edit: that last "bug" disappeared after a restart.
jojo

Post by jojo »

i installed firestarter.seems to run fine but if lock the firewall, i can't unlock. must reboot.it works fine in mint 4.0
billb60

Post by billb60 »

Bug report on D-link pci-wirless card with Atheros chip set. Proprietary driver was enabled but not is use and I couldn't detect any network or manually config. I used this workaround http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... ros#p68939.

I now have compriz for my laptop with Intel 965 chipset, but couldn't switch between different workspace. I needed to add WORKSPACE SWITCHER to panel and now flip between 4 workspace.
hotweiss

Post by hotweiss »

d13g0 wrote:Hi there! :)
I'm very happy now the release is near.
I've found 2 things in both betas. When I tried to enter the to administration - login window (ventana de entrada) the system remains a lot of time "thinkin'" (4or5 minutes) before it open the aplication. The second one is about the spanish translation of the menu. I think SALIR is better option than QUITAR. Many thanks and good work Clem. Have a nice day.
I can confirm the login window hang. Mind you this is not unique to Mint, as Ubuntu Hardy had that same problem.
mmesantos1

Post by mmesantos1 »

I have a question about Linux Mint 5.0. I was wondering what the maximum amount of ram that is supported? I asked because I am going to be buying a new PC soon and I have never seen this question asked before. Also any other maximums as far as system specs go. Any help with this question would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

mmesantos1 wrote:I have a question about Linux Mint 5.0. I was wondering what the maximum amount of ram that is supported? I asked because I am going to be buying a new PC soon and I have never seen this question asked before. Also any other maximums as far as system specs go. Any help with this question would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.
If you are buying a 32bit(x86) CPU the max amount of ram seen is 3Gbs.
If you are buying a 64bit CPU then it will see 4GBs or more.
Clem plans on making a 64bit version of Linux Mint Elyssa.
Graphics I also use nvidia.(some newer graphics cards might not work well with current drivers)
Check any other hardware to make sure it's linux or ubuntu compatible, by using google.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

ric.dintino wrote:A torrent is now available at http://linuxtracker.org/index.php?page= ... f26c6b47bc
Why not use this torrent?
http://www.linuxmint.de/downloads.html
It would be faster and it's the official torrent.
britkid12

Post by britkid12 »

I installed the first elyssa beta just fine, but on this release the live cd installer always hangs at the keyboard selection. Any options on what do when the live cd freezes?

Return to “Releases & Announcements”