Linux Mint 5 Elyssa RC2 (BETA 048) is out!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa RC2 (BETA 048) is out!

Post by Guest »

I just installed B0048 on my laptop and I have the following to report so far:

1. When I insert a USBstick I get a en error message:
"Can't mount volume. Invalid mount option when attempting to mount the volume 'MyStick'."
I've tried several but I'm getting the same problem with all of them.

2. Setting transparency on the panel works, but all the objects on it doesn't get transparent. Ugly!!

Hope it helps u. :)
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

arm1e wrote:Hi guys and congrats on another great beta. I do have one problem, although this seems to be a problem with many distro's. I have the atheros AR5007EG wireless adapter and have resigned myself to the fact that no distro is gonna let me connect out of the box. The workaround that I have to use is to install a patched madwifi package and disable the atheros restricted driver. My problem is that to do this I have to compile the tar file which is not a problem once the build-essential package is installed. My problem is that this package never seems to be installed by default meaning that to get my internet working i have to borrow a wired connection from a friend to download the package.

Is there any way to have this package installed by default?? Or could someone let me know if there is a way to install the package (and its dependencies) for a non internet install????

Cheers
You can use ndiswrapper. It is already installed. Just download the drivers and save them somewhere for future use.

Code: Select all

wget http://blakecmartin.googlepages.com/ar5007eg-32-0.2.tar.gz
You still have to blacklist ath_pci. Here is how I do it: Pull the ar5007eg folder off of a USB stick in to the /home folder whatever_I'm_using. Then open a terminal and run

sudo ndiswrapper -i path_to_your_net5211.inf_file
You could also just copy and paste the net5211.inf file in the terminal. This will install the driver. Then add the ath_pci module to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist, and ndiswrapper to /etc/modules. Reboot.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
hamburn

Post by hamburn »

clem wrote:(...)

The root account is not disabled, it's simply that GDM is set by default not to allow root logins. It's a very BAD idea to log in directly as root, but if that's really what you want to do you can change that setting in /etc/gdm/gdm.conf or in the "Login Window" config tool.

Clem.
Thanks for the answer, Clem,

but for the first option I should know -what- to change, and as I said before, I'm coming from winXP, so I do not know what I have to do there. If I try I can do more damage than with a graphical tool.
And for the second option I have to be root already, thank you.
clem wrote: I suppose, since you obviously indicated a root password in mintAssistant and made the effort to log in as root through GDM.. we could set that option to allow root logins via GDM. It sounds completely unreasonable to me that somebody login as root in a graphical session though...
It isn't unreasonable for users, who come from win32. If you want only Linux Gurus as users of Elyssa, it would be ok. But if you want to make a Desktop OS even for users who are used to mouse clicks it would be more reasonable to unlock the root account by default.

H.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

Go to Menu>System>Administration>Login Window. Then under the Security tab, check the box that says "Allow local system administrator login". Then the next time you log in just use root as your username, and your root password. the safer way is to use the terminal

gksu nautilus
. This will put you in to the file system with root privileges. I actually add this command to the menu with the menu editor.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
josevi

Post by josevi »

Hello, I installed the RC2 of Elyssa, and I'm still having the same problem with "AllTray" (it doesn't work at all, the same as with the RC1). However, this application works fine in Daryna and also in Ubuntu Hardy. For the rest it's working really nice, I think you guys did the best distro! I would still like that there were improvements in the time it takes to boot, as in my laptop it takes 40% more time than with Daryna, but this is problably because it's still a beta. Thanks and congratulations for the great work.
ElEdwards
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ElEdwards »

I have found Mint to be the most efficent and easy-to-use distro available.....and no matter what distro I try, I always come back home to Mint :)

I do commercial voice-overs and use Audacity for my recordings... and when I tried Hardy, I found that with Pulse audio, my recordings were not smooth but instead, were very choppy with parts of words missing.

I have heard that the Pulse in Hardy is a work-in-progress and doesn't yet duplicate the smoothness of ALSA/OSS.

....so my question:
Is the version of Pulse in Elyssa better than what is in Hardy? This audio issue alone is enough to prevent me from updating.

Thanks! :)
El
adewolf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by adewolf »

Are there any plans for a 64bit release?
arm1e

Post by arm1e »

You can use ndiswrapper. It is already installed. Just download the drivers and save them somewhere for future use.

wget http://blakecmartin.googlepages.com/ar5 ... 0.2.tar.gz

You still have to blacklist ath_pci. Here is how I do it: Pull the ar5007eg folder off of a USB stick in to the /home folder whatever_I'm_using. Then open a terminal and run

sudo ndiswrapper -i path_to_your_net5211.inf_file

You could also just copy and paste the net5211.inf file in the terminal. This will install the driver. Then add the ath_pci module to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist, and ndiswrapper to /etc/modules. Reboot.
Unfortunately this never seems to work on my system no matter what distro I try (never found a solution). The KDE mint 4 has the build-essential package installed by default, along with the dependencies so wondere if this was a possibility for the new release.
piratesmack

Post by piratesmack »

Hi, Linux Mint 5 is looking good. I'm just having one problem. 9 out of 10 times when booting the live cd, I get this error:

There was an error starting the Gnome Settings Daemon

Some things, such as themes, sounds, or background settings may not work correctly

The last error message was:

Did not recieve a reply. Possible causes include: The remote application did not send a reply,
the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timed out or expired, or the network
connection was broken

Gnome will still try to restart the settings Daemon next time you log in.
Never had this problem with Linux Mint 4

Anyone else experiencing this?
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

piratesmack wrote:Hi, Linux Mint 5 is looking good. I'm just having one problem. 9 out of 10 times when booting the live cd, I get this error:

There was an error starting the Gnome Settings Daemon

Some things, such as themes, sounds, or background settings may not work correctly

The last error message was:

Did not recieve a reply. Possible causes include: The remote application did not send a reply,
the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timed out or expired, or the network
connection was broken

Gnome will still try to restart the settings Daemon next time you log in.
Never had this problem with Linux Mint 4

Anyone else experiencing this?
Yes it's been reported several times, this is only in the Live session though, it goes away after installation!
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
Star Span

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa RC2 (BETA 048) is out! KDE?

Post by Star Span »

Is there going to be a KDE version of Elyssa? I tried Elyssa but I don't like Gnome so i went back to Mint 4. I like the new gismos added to Mint 5 but unless there is a KDE version I'll probably stick with Mint 4.

Thanx to Clem and the gang for the hard work.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

Double post!
Last edited by Zwopper on Tue May 27, 2008 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CREA DIEM!

Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

Star Span wrote:Is there going to be a KDE version of Elyssa? I tried Elyssa but I don't like Gnome so i went back to Mint 4. I like the new gismos added to Mint 5 but unless there is a KDE version I'll probably stick with Mint 4.

Thanx to Clem and the gang for the hard work.
Some reading for your pleasure! :wink:
CREA DIEM!

jozsef

Post by jozsef »

I am using Daryna from December and I love it. Actually I am using "linux" from November last year and after trying a lot of distros I stayed with Mint. I have tried the live cd beta version of Elyssa and it was a big surprise for me that I could access my docs and programs on my laptop using the live cd which not requires password. That means that anyone who has a live CD of Elyssa could access anything on my laptop using it?! Even those docs which are on the Windows Vista partition (dual boot). It was a big surprise for me as far as I heard a lot about how secure of the linux systems are. In this case there is meaningless to put user name and password for the OS??!!
piratesmack

Post by piratesmack »

Zwopper wrote: Yes it's been reported several times, this is only in the Live session though, it goes away after installation!
Thanks, I'm looking forward to the final release :-)
hamburn

Post by hamburn »

67GTA wrote:Go to Menu>System>Administration>Login Window. Then under the Security tab, check the box that says "Allow local system administrator login". Then the next time you log in just use root as your username, and your root password.
Thank you 67GTA, this worked
67GTA wrote: the safer way is to use the terminal

gksu nautilus
. This will put you in to the file system with root privileges. I actually add this command to the menu with the menu editor.
I don't even know, what you are talking about. :? :oops:

Thanks

H.
Thomas Gorzka

Post by Thomas Gorzka »

I have found two bugs in the RC2 (german user):

1. in mintbackup the first line is: <big><b>Speichern des Inhalts des Benutzerverzeichnisses/b></big>
2. the FF is only in english. I think the xulrunner and other is not for the FF rc1.

I hope this help you. The RC2 of LM is very good, but only google-earth (4.2) and zattoo will not work.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

the FF is only in english. I think the xulrunner and other is not for the FF rc1.
I noticed this too. I do not think an updated package is available yet. I looked in launchpad.net the other day and did not see any changes yet. I did read a discussions about the 1.9 version being uses for Firefox 3 but I have no idea on how the compatibility problem will be solved. It's hard to tell how this will be resolved.
madjr
Level 2
Level 2

Post by madjr »

jozsef wrote:I am using Daryna from December and I love it. Actually I am using "linux" from November last year and after trying a lot of distros I stayed with Mint. I have tried the live cd beta version of Elyssa and it was a big surprise for me that I could access my docs and programs on my laptop using the live cd which not requires password. That means that anyone who has a live CD of Elyssa could access anything on my laptop using it?! Even those docs which are on the Windows Vista partition (dual boot). It was a big surprise for me as far as I heard a lot about how secure of the linux systems are. In this case there is meaningless to put user name and password for the OS??!!
if you're so concerned about security then you should encrypt your hard drive.

the problem is not Linuxmint (any linux version can do this, usually to rescue virus infested windows systems).

the problem is that Vista is NOT a secure OS.
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

If someone can boot a LiveCD of Elyssa on your laptop, they have physical access to it. Physical access trumps root access, always. You need solid encryption to defeat physical access, and the best encryption is only as good as the key you use to secure it.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”