Linux Mint 5 Elyssa RC2 (BETA 048) is out!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa RC2 (BETA 048) is out!

Postby darco on Mon May 26, 2008 2:27 pm

Running the Live Cd off my Toshiba Satellite and no issues to report. Using WPA2 Personal TKIP and connects just fine. Where does one find which version of Mint is running? Typically I would check in System Monitor but it does not show which Beta is running, just says Mint. I know, not important but...
I do wish that I could upgrade to Final w/o having to reinstall but I know thats not possible :cry:
thxs, great job

darco
darco
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Speed Demon * on Mon May 26, 2008 2:35 pm

You never know it may be possible i am still waiting on an ANSWER. Nobody has replied to my post on PG1
Speed Demon *

Postby exploder on Mon May 26, 2008 2:50 pm

I've been using BETA 048 as a live CD for a short time and have some initial comments...

Upon first booting into the desktop I received the following error message dialog:

Code: Select all
There was an error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon.

Some things, such as themes, sounds, or background settings may not work correctly.

The last error message was:

Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

GNOME will still try to restart the Settings Daemon next time you log in.

This happens with the Live CD, the problem is gone in the installed system.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby CatastrophicToad on Mon May 26, 2008 3:00 pm

There is still the bug that was also in 032 that when the installed system boots (after GRUB), it displays the Linux Mint splash screen with the green thing going left and right, and does not stop. Sometimes it will stop and the green thing will fill the bar from left to right, and then the system will start. When it doesn't start, pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del restarts the computer and it can try again.

Is there something I can press while the system is starting to display the terminal messages (instead of the splash screen), which I could then report here?

*EDIT* nevermind about pressing something during the startup - I deleted the "quiet splash" from the GRUB screen and it displayed the terminal messages.

The last thing it says is something about "SATA link down" - 048 is installed on a SATA drive, and I guess there is some problem with that sometimes?
Last edited by CatastrophicToad on Mon May 26, 2008 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CatastrophicToad
Level 1
Level 1

Postby exploder on Mon May 26, 2008 3:07 pm

I had some problems when I installed the beta on my main computer. This is NOT the recommended way of fixing things! I must stress that this is a "Use at your own risk.) solution. Your results may vary! You have been warned.

Problems

001- Network Manager errors at shut down and restart.
002- One residual config file left by the installer. (This is because of the changes Ubuntu made to the installer, language selection built into the installer.)
003- Old linux-ubuntu-modules could not be removed in Synaptic.

Fixes

001- Installed all safe updates, problem still present. Edited the sources list and enabled the Hardy Proposed repository. Installed all updates. This completely resolved the issue and shut down and re-start are much quicker now.
002- Simply removed with Synaptic.
003- Using Nautilus as root, I did a search for linux-ubuntu-modules and simply deleted the old ones. Next I selected the old package in Synaptic and removed it.

Misc Fixes

- I removed the original kernel packages, starting with the linux-ubuntu-modules. (Very important) and simply removed the remaining parts of the original kernel.
- Unchecked the security options in Firefox. (This is a known work around to help keep Firefox from freezing up.) This fix sounds worse than it really is and is temporary until Mozilla releases an updated version.

You may not want to install the updated kernel. Do not try this on a system that has critical data on it! If you are unsure at all about these fixes do not attempt them. My results were very positive.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby Zwopper on Mon May 26, 2008 3:34 pm

Camera import points to F-spot-import - which isn't installed (THANK GOD AND CLEM!) :D
Easily resolved by installing gthumb and chosing it in "removable devices".

Please do NOT include F-Spot, keep the good ol' gthumb! :idea: :idea: :idea:
My artwork at deviantART | My Tweet
CREA DIEM!
Lenovo E320 | 8GB | 512GB Samsung 840 PRO - SSD | Ubuntu 14.04
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Postby jman88888 on Mon May 26, 2008 3:36 pm

I was going to download and test it out but I think Flash 10 beta is a horrible idea. In the short span of one day I found that cbs wouldn't go full screen and the bbc videos wouldn't play. Why was this included?
jman88888

Postby hotweiss on Mon May 26, 2008 3:37 pm

exploder wrote:I had some problems when I installed the beta on my main computer. This is NOT the recommended way of fixing things! I must stress that this is a "Use at your own risk.) solution. Your results may vary! You have been warned.

Problems

001- Network Manager errors at shut down and restart.
002- One residual config file left by the installer. (This is because of the changes Ubuntu made to the installer, language selection built into the installer.)
003- Old linux-ubuntu-modules could not be removed in Synaptic.

Fixes

001- Installed all safe updates, problem still present. Edited the sources list and enabled the Hardy Proposed repository. Installed all updates. This completely resolved the issue and shut down and re-start are much quicker now.
002- Simply removed with Synaptic.
003- Using Nautilus as root, I did a search for linux-ubuntu-modules and simply deleted the old ones. Next I selected the old package in Synaptic and removed it.

Misc Fixes

- I removed the original kernel packages, starting with the linux-ubuntu-modules. (Very important) and simply removed the remaining parts of the original kernel.
- Unchecked the security options in Firefox. (This is a known work around to help keep Firefox from freezing up.) This fix sounds worse than it really is and is temporary until Mozilla releases an updated version.

You may not want to install the updated kernel. Do not try this on a system that has critical data on it! If you are unsure at all about these fixes do not attempt them. My results were very positive.

Thanks. I had that network manager error during shut down also. Thanks for the fix.
hotweiss
Level 4
Level 4

Postby hotweiss on Mon May 26, 2008 3:39 pm

hotweiss wrote:OK, i have found a bug. Can anyone confirm it by following these steps:

- open terminal
- type: sudo gconf-editor
- navigate to /apps/gnome-power-manager/locks
- disable lock_on_hibernate
- disable lock_on_suspend

After disabling password after suspend, I still get asked for my password. This bug was not present in Beta 32.

Can someone confirm this error please.
hotweiss
Level 4
Level 4

Postby joel_gil on Mon May 26, 2008 3:40 pm

Hey i was wondering if there is any way to upgrade the betas. I know is not very recommended. But my config is working wonderfully for me and i'd hate to download/install everything again.
In any case the upgrading went wrong I'd just make a clean install. But i would rather upgrade than clean isntall everything.
Thanks in advanced
joel_gil
Level 1
Level 1

Postby exploder on Mon May 26, 2008 3:49 pm

I clean install is best. There were many changes made.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby CatastrophicToad on Mon May 26, 2008 3:56 pm

hotweiss wrote:
hotweiss wrote:OK, i have found a bug. Can anyone confirm it by following these steps:

- open terminal

After disabling password after suspend, I still get asked for my password. This bug was not present in Beta 32.

After following your steps and suspending, it asked for a password to unlock. Confirmed.

Interestingly, after taking it out of suspend, I ran gconf-editor to make sure that the settings were still unchecked (they were still unchecked), and it did not ask me for a password for sudo. So it will ask for the password to come out of suspend when it is set not to, but will not ask for the password for sudo when it has been entered recently, after a suspend.
CatastrophicToad
Level 1
Level 1

Postby hotweiss on Mon May 26, 2008 4:01 pm

CatastrophicToad wrote:
hotweiss wrote:

- open terminal

After following your steps and suspending, it asked for a password to unlock. Confirmed.

Interestingly, after taking it out of suspend, I ran gconf-editor to make sure that the settings were still unchecked (they were still unchecked), and it did not ask me for a password for sudo. So it will ask for the password to come out of suspend when it is set not to, but will not ask for the password for sudo when it has been entered recently, after a suspend.

Thanks a lot. This bug did not exist in 032. I also tried commenting out LOCK_SCREEN=true in /etc/default/acpi-support, this didn't work either.
hotweiss
Level 4
Level 4

Postby hotweiss on Mon May 26, 2008 4:03 pm

jman88888 wrote:I was going to download and test it out but I think Flash 10 beta is a horrible idea. In the short span of one day I found that cbs wouldn't go full screen and the bbc videos wouldn't play. Why was this included?

Yes, Flash 10 is to buggy. All of my Firefox crashes have been related to Flash 10.
hotweiss
Level 4
Level 4

Postby jeby on Mon May 26, 2008 4:31 pm

rivenought wrote:hotweiss,
Sorry for the wording, I meant a torrent to download the BETA 048. That download page says Torrent: Not Available. I have much better results downloading from a torrent than a regular download. Such as already today, I have had three download failures. I never have those problems with a torrent. I have already used transmission several times in the past two weeks with flawless results.

yes, I need torrent too.
jeby
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Kynan on Mon May 26, 2008 4:35 pm

I haven't installed it yet, and i don't think ill have the time (got uni exam's in under 2 weeks busy studying at the moment) but i want to know what if anything was done to fix all the pulseaudio problems alot of people were experiencing including me (stuttered/laggy sound, no EQ, problems with firefox youtube video sound and exaile sound at the same time)
Also i know this is a long stretch, but are drivers for the DCP-115C which can use the MFC-210C printer drivers now available by any chance? and is it possible to include them for the final release if not, because for the past 2 years i've had to manually install them with each release and its wearing a little thin and making me less inclined to beta test if i know i've got to do it each time.

Here is the link to the guide i follow each time: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=105703
Normal people believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
Kynan
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Knight 319 on Mon May 26, 2008 4:38 pm

Burned a fresh copy of Beta 048 to a CD. Booted up, tried out some of the different themes, and notice this while using some of the darker themes. Start menu is bright, and the text is hard to read unless you hover the mouse over one of the buttons.

Note: This is while being in the Live CD.

Knight 319

Postby Knight 319 on Mon May 26, 2008 4:39 pm

Sorry, image didn't come out right. Here's the proper one.

Knight 319

Postby CatastrophicToad on Mon May 26, 2008 4:59 pm

Knight 319 wrote:Burned a fresh copy of Beta 048 to a CD. Booted up, tried out some of the different themes, and notice this while using some of the darker themes. Start menu is bright, and the text is hard to read unless you hover the mouse over one of the buttons.

Note: This is while being in the Live CD.

try restarting after setting the new theme. I think that's what I had to do with darker themes, back in LM4.
CatastrophicToad
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Andy Mack on Mon May 26, 2008 5:04 pm

Warning: Not loading Blacklisted IPV6 Module has been repeated over 200 times in the last hour in system log.

Not a bug just an irritant.
Andy Mack
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to Releases & Announcements