Linux Mint 5 Elyssa RC2 (BETA 048) is out!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa RC2 (BETA 048) is out!

Postby exploder on Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:25 pm

I have an odd problem, some apple movie trailers play and some say that I need a newer version of quicktime. Anyone know how to correct this?
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Lantesh on Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:15 pm

ed@Mint wrote:Elyssa final is not available yet
It has not been announced officially, it is still about to change because it is still under testing.

simplicissimus wrote:Why do you think that this version is the final and stable version?
I do not see any official informations or confirmations ... :?

Well guys unless Clem changed his mind this "http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/5/" is the final version. I guess we'll find out tomorrow. The reason I decided to jump the gun and install is because I had time Friday night, so I thought oh what the hell, why not.

Clem's own words:
clem wrote:OK. I know for sure the release won't happen until Sunday, at the earliest (because we're still in the process of validating the Light Edition and finalizing the Software Portal and getting a few other things ready) but I got confirmation from Exploder: The ISO you're looking at is the one that will be released. It's stable.

Again, enjoy it... but don't spread the news too much. I like to think of a release as an event which brings not only the ISO to people, but the full release notes, upgrade instructions, user guide, known issues, light ISO, software portal and associated services. Things have to be fully ready so people get the right first impression. So enjoy the ISO silently, and let me surprise everybody when the time is right.

Not that I'm hiding anything but there's no need to make more noise about this than this topic already does ;)

Have a good week-end everyone and see you on Release Day ;)

Clem.

Oh and Clem I hope you aren't mad about me quoting you. I figured it was already in the other thread anyway, and not like it was hidden.
Lantesh
Level 6
Level 6

Postby piratesmack on Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:18 pm

ed@Mint wrote:Don't expect much help with this version.
Elyssa final is not available yet
It has not been announced officially, it is still about to change because it is still under testing.
You should all have waited for the official release, the system you are using is still considered a beta so, use it at your own risks.

Edit:
looks like Lantesh already explained it
piratesmack
Level 5
Level 5

Postby kayakaholic on Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:57 pm

Has anyone else found that the B or REISUB doesn't work? I have to use O then boot up again.
kayakaholic
Level 3
Level 3

Postby KakarotUSMC on Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:04 pm

Helmeci - Maybe you ought not to be posting your deployment date along with a picture of one of your unit's CH-47 helicopters. I'm sure your commanders would view this as a possible violation of AT/FP policies.

Captain Cox
USMC
KakarotUSMC
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ed@Mint on Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:12 pm

Lantesh wrote:...(stuff)...

Ok, i didn't see this message from Clem (i still think it was not the best idea to install before it went official).
Anyway, the errors concerning Elyssa final should not be reported in this thread anymore.
Last edited by ed@Mint on Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In libro veritas

Now switched to : ArchLinux

New users, read the Linux Mint User Guide | Problem ? See the Wiki first | Check out the Software Portal | Join the IRC channel : #linuxmint @ irc.spotchat.org
ed@Mint
Level 5
Level 5

Postby 900i on Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:30 pm

Downloaded the LinuxMint-5.iso and md5sum checked out. Booted my laptop with it but the installer failed to run, first ever time I have had a problem trying to install any version of Mint. Confused! :shock:
Intel i7 3770 LMDE Mate 64
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Lolo Uila on Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:42 pm

Husse wrote:@ Tim
Haven't seen you in a while
Welcome back

Thanks. Been busy on other forums and haven't checked in here in a while. Well, that and I got a PS3...

I'm really impressed with Elyssa. Wasn't really feeling Daryna because Gutsy didn't get along with my hardware. Elyssa seems to be running really well, except for that sound issue. I did get that working, but I don't know why it works now. I changed the device from Automatic to ALSA, and the sound worked, but it was really distorted, so I changed it back to Automatic, and then it worked properly. ??? Odd, but that seems to be the fix because I installed the "secret" stable version and the exact same thing happened.

Only issue now is the wallpaper thing. I found the Background changer does work if you use the cursor keys instead of clicking on the picture with the mouse.

Running the ATI restricted drivers from the repos now and they seem to be working fine. With Beta 048 I used Envy to install, and that worked fine too.

It was particularly cool that Elyssa automatically found and installed my Canon MP500 printer. That's a first for any distro I have tried.

Nice work everyone! I'm going to run Elyssa from my test partition for a week or so and if all goes well I may be leaving Celena for a younger woman. ;)
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Postby piratesmack on Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:02 pm

Lolo Uila wrote:Only issue now is the wallpaper thing. I found the Background changer does work if you use the cursor keys instead of clicking on the picture with the mouse.

The wallpaper bug is cause by a gnome update.

All I did was just go into Mint Update preferences and disabled level 3 updates, and everything works fine.

Level 3 updates haven't been tested, so it's probably a good idea to disable them anyway
piratesmack
Level 5
Level 5

Postby 67GTA on Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:24 pm

Mintmenu gives an error when trying to open the package manager on the left pane, or in the Administrator section. I get an error window that says:
Code: Select all
Could not grab your mouse. A malicious client may be eavesdropping on your session or you may have just clicked a menu or some application just decided to get focus.

Try again.

EDIT: This is the latest version from http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/5/ , not beta 048.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Postby ed@Mint on Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:36 pm

error wrote:Could not grab your mouse. A malicious client may be eavesdropping on your session or you may have just clicked a menu or some application just decided to get focus.

Try again.

Lol we even get funny error messages in mint :lol:
In libro veritas

Now switched to : ArchLinux

New users, read the Linux Mint User Guide | Problem ? See the Wiki first | Check out the Software Portal | Join the IRC channel : #linuxmint @ irc.spotchat.org
ed@Mint
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Jadephyre on Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:44 pm

i'm beginning to see a pattern here... problems over problems... and all these arose with the Introduction of Hardy and the Kernel it uses.

Is it possible to use Elyssa with an older Kernel that WORKS like it did in Daryna ?
I'm starting to feel left out and i guess i'm not alone here.
When that Version that is currently considered "Final" is really what we are getting this time around then i see Mint spiraling down the same drain as Hardy.
Such a shame, such a waste...
Jadephyre
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Lantesh on Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:27 pm

Jadephyre wrote:When that Version that is currently considered "Final" is really what we are getting this time around then i see Mint spiraling down the same drain as Hardy.
Such a shame, such a waste...

Well if it makes you feel any more confident my system is running pretty good on the new build. As I mentioned in my last post I temporarily enabled the proposed and backports repos, and updated Gnome. This has seemed to fix a lot of issues I was having, including the known wallpaper and Flash issues.
Lantesh
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Jadephyre on Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:28 am

yeah maybe it did something for you, but i for one can not even run the goddamn LiveCD.
Wasted more than a dozen blank CD's at different Write Speeds and Checksum Verification.
NOTHING has worked ever since the new Kernel has been released, not even with all the boot parameters i could find.

This is definately a showstopper for me, and if this doesn't change, i have to go back to Windows XP or (heaven forbid) Vista because i'm not geeky enough to compile my own software to get the latest and greatest.
I downloaded Mint because it was easy to install and use, but now all of that has seemingly flown out the Window, and this is seriously pissing me off.

If the Moderators want to ban me now, just go right ahead, i just needed to voice my opinion...
Jadephyre
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:09 am

There is no need to use Elyssa - try Daryna if Elyssa betrays you
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Lantesh on Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:53 pm

Jadephyre wrote:This is definately a showstopper for me, and if this doesn't change, i have to go back to Windows XP or (heaven forbid) Vista because i'm not geeky enough to compile my own software to get the latest and greatest.

Husse wrote:There is no need to use Elyssa - try Daryna if Elyssa betrays you

I was going to say the same this as Husse. You certainly can skip Elyssa, and simply wait for Mint 6. Just stick with Daryna for another 6 months. It's not like Daryna is suddenly obsolete, and it's certainly newer than Windows XP. If you do head back to Windows though I'd highly suggest sticking with XP. That DRM infested joke of an operating system known as Vista makes my skin crawl.
Lantesh
Level 6
Level 6

Postby DaddyX3 on Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:26 pm

Zero Prime wrote:
DaddyX3 wrote:Hello all! Have a silly question for you .... Is Elyssa 5 32 or 64-bit? I'm "ass-u-me'ing that it is 32-bit. If so, is there any interest with this community to do a 64-bit version? I have been using Hardy 8.04 64-bit since it was released and I do notice a nice performance gain (I'm triple booting between Hardy 32, Hardy 64, Ultimate Edition 1.8 64-bit [don't shoot me, please :wink: ]).

Whats up Daddy? Yes, there are plans for a 64bit edition. You know, you could have asked me that at the other house :)

Yep, its me ... could you imagine the hurt feelings if I brought that up at "the other house"? I'm not out to hurt anybodies feelings :) Thanks for the reply Zero.
DaddyX3
Level 1
Level 1

Postby FyrFyt on Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:55 pm

red-e-made wrote:
Calvin wrote:It's because of flash 10 beta being included instead of the stable flash 9.

Indeed it is (although to be honest I haven't had any issues yet).

Regarding extensions in Firefox 3, it is possible. You just have to mess about in about:config. Don't worry, though - it's safe and reversible. Here's what you do:

1. Type about:config into Firefox's address bar and click the "I'll be careful, I promise!" button.

2. Right-click anywhere. Choose New>Boolean. Make the name of your new config value extensions.checkCompatibility and set it to false.

3. Make another new boolean pair called extensions.checkUpdateSecurity and set the value to false.

4. Restart Firefox.

And that's it.

This should be made as ticky or something. Worked like a charm. Thank you. I get my DiggNation again.
FyrFyt
Level 1
Level 1

Postby dangbert1 on Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:40 pm

:(

It will load just fine on a clone phenom but will not load on a Gateway 5220. On the Gateway the Live CD gets to the point where it is looking at hardware and about to open the "X" server when it either reboots (the usual) on occasion, about 1 time out of five, the box locks up and I have to do a hardware restart.

Deb
dangbert1

Postby will101 on Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:24 pm

ThePif wrote:Couple of things found in RC2:
I cannot get my Bluetooth Mouse (Microsoft) to work, it is found and recognized as a mouse but immediately I get : file:///home/pif/Desktop/BluetoothMouseError.png (It says: Couldn't display "obex://[00:12:5A:6C:9B:43]/". Error: Host down; Please select another viewer and try again.
(this also happens with 032 and 8.04)

If I select the "Login screen Preferences" it takes almost forever to initialize the first time (later attempts are much quicker).

Otherwise sofar very good as far as I have gotten in giving it a workout on my Zepto Znote 6625WD (Santa Rosa, Core2 Duo 2.1GHz, GeForce8600M GT) (Dual boots just fine with Vista SP1 (about to leave the machine for the final version of Elyssa))

Keep up the good work
ThePif

I had the same problem with my logitech mouse but fixed by using some of the suggestions in this post. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BluetoothSetup
will101

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to Releases & Announcements