Linux Mint 5 Elyssa RC2 (BETA 048) is out!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa RC2 (BETA 048) is out!

Postby Onsager on Mon May 26, 2008 5:08 pm

There is a problem with the Control Center. Using the dark themes, for example the peppermint, and choosing one of the groups, causes a little display glitch: the selected group appears with white background.
A screenshot can be found here: Image
Onsager
 

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa RC2 (BETA 048) is out!

Postby Onsager on Mon May 26, 2008 5:12 pm

Onsager wrote:There is a problem with the Control Center. Using the dark themes, for example the peppermint, and choosing one of the groups, causes a little display glitch: the selected group appears with white background.
A screenshot can be found here: Image


Sorry, once more:
http://www.mediafire.com/?njpw9m9nmfm
Onsager
 

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa RC2 (BETA 048) is out!

Postby Jernau on Mon May 26, 2008 5:26 pm

exploder wrote:
I've been using BETA 048 as a live CD for a short time and have some initial comments...

Upon first booting into the desktop I received the following error message dialog:

Code: Select all
There was an error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon.

    Some things, such as themes, sounds, or background settings may not work correctly.

    The last error message was:

    Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

    GNOME will still try to restart the Settings Daemon next time you log in.


This happens with the Live CD, the problem is gone in the installed system.

Thanks for the information exploder, it's great to know that this doesn't happen in the installed system. However, I think that being greeted into the desktop by an error dialog is a pretty awful first impression for someone booting Linux Mint for the first time from the live CD. It could be enough to put them off even attempting an install... so, if possible, I definitely think it's something worth fixing.
User avatar
Jernau
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 568
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:14 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa RC2 (BETA 048) is out!

Postby hotweiss on Mon May 26, 2008 5:32 pm

One other suggestion. Why not add the trash can on the desktop by default? We all use it, why have it hidden?
hotweiss
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 204
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:12 am
Location: Warsaw, Poland

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa RC2 (BETA 048) is out!

Postby jasonwatkins on Mon May 26, 2008 5:39 pm

hotweiss wrote:
jman88888 wrote:I was going to download and test it out but I think Flash 10 beta is a horrible idea. In the short span of one day I found that cbs wouldn't go full screen and the bbc videos wouldn't play. Why was this included?


Yes, Flash 10 is to buggy. All of my Firefox crashes have been related to Flash 10.


i can't get any flash content to work now .. i guess it could mean going back to firefox 2 ??

but then at least I managed to get XMMS compiled and running in this release .. woohoo ..

other than that, no issues at all. been running it all day and it's great. haven't experienced any problems and it's pretty nippy as well.
jasonwatkins
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:08 am

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa RC2 (BETA 048) is out!

Postby jman88888 on Mon May 26, 2008 5:52 pm

jasonwatkins wrote:
hotweiss wrote:
jman88888 wrote:I was going to download and test it out but I think Flash 10 beta is a horrible idea. In the short span of one day I found that cbs wouldn't go full screen and the bbc videos wouldn't play. Why was this included?


Yes, Flash 10 is to buggy. All of my Firefox crashes have been related to Flash 10.


i can't get any flash content to work now .. i guess it could mean going back to firefox 2 ??

but then at least I managed to get XMMS compiled and running in this release .. woohoo ..

other than that, no issues at all. been running it all day and it's great. haven't experienced any problems and it's pretty nippy as well.


A better solution might be to try going back to flash 9.
jman88888
 

Come ON guys

Postby Speed Demon on Mon May 26, 2008 6:32 pm

Can someone PLEASE tell me this: can u upgrade from 032 to 048 then 048 to final? Or 032 to final? Please help me. I will have wasted a cd otherwise. And it was a green lightscribe disk too :(
Speed Demon
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 10:19 am

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa RC2 (BETA 048) is out!

Postby Exsecrabilus on Mon May 26, 2008 6:34 pm

I would really appreciate if for Broadcom wireless cards, you would let us locate the wl_apasta file locally.

I use that to connect to the Internet, but when I tried the RC 1 out, my computer tried to download it, which it couldn't; obviously.
Exsecrabilus
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 6:32 pm

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa RC2 (BETA 048) is out!

Postby AlabamaHit on Mon May 26, 2008 6:48 pm

Speed Demon wrote:Can someone PLEASE tell me this: can u upgrade from 032 to 048 then 048 to final? Or 032 to final? Please help me. I will have wasted a cd otherwise. And it was a green lightscribe disk too :(


JESUS man READ the TOPIC

NOoooooooooooooooooooo

DONTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

is this eaiser for you to notice? Since you dont like to read obviously...


SPEED DEMON <<--------------------

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I say it like this cuase it has been asked 4 times i know of and ANSWERED yes ANSWERED ALL TIMES ASKED......
AlabamaHit
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:07 pm

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa RC2 (BETA 048) is out!

Postby trung on Mon May 26, 2008 7:24 pm

I have downloaded it and used QEMU on Ubuntu 7.10 to verify.

Why It dont boot? It run for a moment, and stop when stop in bash command line

why?
trung
 

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa RC2 (BETA 048) is out!

Postby twodogs on Mon May 26, 2008 7:38 pm

can not connect wirelessly.

Daryna was great connecting but with beta 32 and beta 48 won't connect.

i use the 'hardware drivers' icon to get things rolling. i notice that 'in use' is already green (wasn't in Daryna) for Broadcom B43 wireless driver. I am connected with wire to the internet. I click the 'enabled' box and it starts the install and I download the file off the internet. says it's done and I close the box. my wireless light is on telling me the wireless is working (I have noticed that I can not turn this light (wireless) on and off as I did before with Daryna. I click the 'network manager' icon and i see my wireless network and several other networks too. I select my network (and I have even tried all the others). i enter the key after i change from passphrase to hex. I am using wep 128. I press ok and it looks like it is trying to connect. but doesn't. I see the two dots with the swirly thing going but nothing ever happens. the box pops up again asking me for the key again. I have triple verified that i am using the right key.

i have rebooted and still doesn't work.

>lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8385 [K8T800 AGP] Host Bridge (rev 01)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8237 PCI bridge [K8T800/K8T890 South]
00:0a.0 CardBus bridge: ENE Technology Inc CB1410 Cardbus Controller
00:0c.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 03)
00:10.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 80)
00:10.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 80)
00:10.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 80)
00:10.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 82)
00:11.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8235 ISA Bridge
00:11.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06)
00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 50)
00:11.6 Communication controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 80)
00:12.0 Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6102 [Rhine-II] (rev 74)
00:13.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): VIA Technologies, Inc. IEEE 1394 Host Controller (rev 80)
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV350 [Mobility Radeon 9600 M10]



>ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:03:25:10:f4:5a
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
Interrupt:19 Base address:0xc00

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:355 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:355 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:27105 (26.4 KB) TX bytes:27105 (26.4 KB)

wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:90:96:a6:39:ce
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

wmaster0 Link encap:UNSPEC HWaddr 00-90-96-A6-39-CE-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)



>iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wmaster0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:""
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
Tx-Power=27 dBm
Retry min limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr=2346 B
Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

I am not sure what else to do?
thanks for your help.
TwoDogS.
User avatar
twodogs
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 261
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:18 pm

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa RC2 (BETA 048) is out!

Postby mmesantos1 on Mon May 26, 2008 7:44 pm

Installed Beta 048. Lots of things that were issues from Beta 032 are fixed but still not able to get emerald to work. I can install emerald and open the program but after picking a theme and restarting unable to have theme work. The window decoration does not change to the emerald selected theme. If any is having same issue and knows of a fix please let me know. Thank you in advance for your help.
Image
User avatar
mmesantos1
Level 8
Level 8
 
Posts: 2277
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:14 pm
Location: VA. USA

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa RC2 (BETA 048) is out!

Postby Zero Prime on Mon May 26, 2008 7:55 pm

mmesantos1 wrote:Installed Beta 048. Lots of things that were issues from Beta 032 are fixed but still not able to get emerald to work. I can install emerald and open the program but after picking a theme and restarting unable to have theme work. The window decoration does not change to the emerald selected theme. If any is having same issue and knows of a fix please let me know. Thank you in advance for your help.


This is actually a bug in Emerald, not LM. an easy fix for this is to download fusion-icon. It's in the repos. You can use it to switch between window managers. It also helps to add it to sessions so that it starts automatically.
Image
User avatar
Zero Prime
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:50 pm
Location: Sumter, SC USA

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa RC2 (BETA 048) is out!

Postby exploder on Mon May 26, 2008 8:05 pm

Zero Prime it is nice to see people post solutions to problems! Thank you!

Thanks to Clem for the massive amount of work that went into this release!

Also, thanks to Zwopper for the gthumb tip!
exploder
Level 15
Level 15
 
Posts: 5871
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:50 am
Location: HartfordCity, Indiana USA

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa RC2 (BETA 048) is out!

Postby merlwiz79 on Mon May 26, 2008 8:15 pm

exploder wrote:
I've been using BETA 048 as a live CD for a short time and have some initial comments...

Upon first booting into the desktop I received the following error message dialog:

Code: Select all
There was an error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon.

    Some things, such as themes, sounds, or background settings may not work correctly.

    The last error message was:

    Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

    GNOME will still try to restart the Settings Daemon next time you log in.


This happens with the Live CD, the problem is gone in the installed system.

I got this problem on the 1st beta.
I burned the iso to a different disc and their was no error on the livecd.
Last edited by merlwiz79 on Mon May 26, 2008 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11
 
Posts: 3637
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:50 pm
Location: Here again :)

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa RC2 (BETA 048) is out!

Postby merlwiz79 on Mon May 26, 2008 8:17 pm

Knight 319 wrote:Burned a fresh copy of Beta 048 to a CD. Booted up, tried out some of the different themes, and notice this while using some of the darker themes. Start menu is bright, and the text is hard to read unless you hover the mouse over one of the buttons.

Note: This is while being in the Live CD.

Image

Right click on the menu and Select Preferences.
Under Colors tab UnCheck use custom colors.
Reload the theme if needed.
Last edited by merlwiz79 on Mon May 26, 2008 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11
 
Posts: 3637
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:50 pm
Location: Here again :)

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa RC2 (BETA 048) is out!

Postby Speed Demon on Mon May 26, 2008 8:17 pm

AlabamaHit wrote:
Speed Demon wrote:Can someone PLEASE tell me this: can u upgrade from 032 to 048 then 048 to final? Or 032 to final? Please help me. I will have wasted a cd otherwise. And it was a green lightscribe disk too :(


JESUS man READ the TOPIC

NOoooooooooooooooooooo

DONTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

is this eaiser for you to notice? Since you dont like to read obviously...


SPEED DEMON <<--------------------

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I say it like this cuase it has been asked 4 times i know of and ANSWERED yes ANSWERED ALL TIMES ASKED......



OK god no need to yell, i only saw it ASKED 4 times then most people said "Not reccomended, only go stable to stable" All i wanted to know is if i could go 032-048-Final sorry if i need to read between the lines. Please dont yell at people even if you are trying to make a point, I'm pretty sure that does not fit the "Forum Courtesy" guidelines of just about every site in the world. :(
Speed Demon
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 10:19 am

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa RC2 (BETA 048) is out!

Postby exploder on Mon May 26, 2008 8:22 pm

merlwiz79, the quote from me did not show in your post. I said that the problem is gone in the installed system. I did not notice the problem in the second beta from the Live CD either.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15
 
Posts: 5871
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:50 am
Location: HartfordCity, Indiana USA

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa RC2 (BETA 048) is out!

Postby merlwiz79 on Mon May 26, 2008 8:24 pm

Speed Demon wrote:
AlabamaHit wrote:
Speed Demon wrote:Can someone PLEASE tell me this: can u upgrade from 032 to 048 then 048 to final? Or 032 to final? Please help me. I will have wasted a cd otherwise. And it was a green lightscribe disk too :(


JESUS man READ the TOPIC

NOoooooooooooooooooooo

DONTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

is this eaiser for you to notice? Since you dont like to read obviously...


SPEED DEMON <<--------------------

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I say it like this cuase it has been asked 4 times i know of and ANSWERED yes ANSWERED ALL TIMES ASKED......



OK god no need to yell, i only saw it ASKED 4 times then most people said "Not reccomended, only go stable to stable" All i wanted to know is if i could go 032-048-Final sorry if i need to read between the lines. Please dont yell at people even if you are trying to make a point, I'm pretty sure that does not fit the "Forum Courtesy" guidelines of just about every site in the world. :(

These are for testing for bugs.
The best way to do this is fresh install each beta release.
Updating from a beta to a newer beta could cause problems that the Release doesn't have.
This would slow the release down by trying to find bugs that aren't really their.
User avatar
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11
 
Posts: 3637
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:50 pm
Location: Here again :)

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa RC2 (BETA 048) is out!

Postby mmesantos1 on Mon May 26, 2008 8:27 pm

Thank you Zero Prime!
Now working like a charm. Once again Linux Mint forum is the best, always someone willing to help. :D
Image
User avatar
mmesantos1
Level 8
Level 8
 
Posts: 2277
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:14 pm
Location: VA. USA

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 
PreviousNext

Return to Releases & Announcements

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests