Linux Mint 5 Elyssa RC2 (BETA 048) is out!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa RC2 (BETA 048) is out!

Postby Calvin on Mon May 26, 2008 11:59 pm

Upon first boot of the LiveCD everything works pretty fine, i get no Daemon error and my desktop loads with the same old resolution 1680x1050 with the same problem i always get. Somehow, even though my screen is at the proper resolution, it looks like the res is too high and the text is all messed up and everything. It gets fixed by me putting my res down to 1280x1024 or downloading my nVidia drivers via EnvyNG or hardware drivers. Mentioning hardware drivers, in this version it says i'm not using any proprietary drivers when the last version said i was. I see xchat-gnome is still here, you gotta change it to the official xchat client by the final clem. Oh yeah, just to note things, the themes and wallpaper work even though Daemon gives me an error, something that didn't happen in Daryna. Good job. Everything seems to be in the proper location in the start menu, i have some updates but i'll wait until post-install to do them. Another note, my scroll bar problem i had in Daryna and beta 032 seems to be fixed, it may just be because I'm at a 1280x1024 resolution but i'll look into it.

After install: I've installed my drivers, restricted drivers manager found them this time and i installed it via that and EnvyNG, i personally like EnvyNG more though. The loading bar screen being too small issue is still present. I also can't add users, when i add a new user and close the window, the user disappears and i can't log into their account. Any ideas on this one is welcome, as this is pretty important to me. I've also found out that the reason i can't scroll like i used to(by putting my mouse at the edge of the screen and scrolling down or up, the so called scrollbar problem) is because of my res, but this is my native res, how can i fix it?

Calvin
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby derek on Tue May 27, 2008 1:08 am

I've got a strange problem with the gnome taskbar. I removed the Network Manager icon, and lost the mintUpdate icon at the same time. I can't seem to get it back, although it's certainly possible that I'm not looking in the right place (i assume it should run when run out of the menu or one of the python scripts in /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate), and after i installed wicd, it's tray icon won't load either. The processes are running, but the icons won't display.

Oddly enough, beta 048 seems to be using signifigantly less memory than 032 was (32 wasn't bad, by any means.) I don't know if this is related to python tray icons not loading correctly or not, but...yeah.
derek
Level 1
Level 1

Postby geneven on Tue May 27, 2008 1:52 am

I had exactly the same experience I had with RC1 and with NONE of the earlier release versions of Linux Mint:

In compatibility mode or regular mode, as soon as user Mint logged in, the system started back before user Mint logged in, and repeated forever. I never saw any display of note beyond that point, though I saw some graphics along the top edge indicating that something was waiting there but wouldn't quite display.

As with RC1, the checksum matched. I think this has something to do with my ATI card.

I'm running the current version of Sidux on this computer, and it works beautifully. I ran into some funny problems with the latest version of Suse, and it kept not making it all the way through the install program, then it finally made it.

This is a fairly crappy clone, with almost 512 mb of memory.

I've happily run all previous versions of Linux Mint on it, with no installation problems at all that I remember.
geneven
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Ookami on Tue May 27, 2008 1:59 am

I feel like I'm late or something D:

I'm downloading it now, if I find any problems I'll post them, but I'll warn you cause I found it hard to find problems with the last BETA... at least, not any problems that weren't already reported, or related to upstream stuff anyway. >.<
Ookami
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Lantesh on Tue May 27, 2008 2:40 am

Zero Prime wrote:
mmesantos1 wrote:Installed Beta 048. Lots of things that were issues from Beta 032 are fixed but still not able to get emerald to work. I can install emerald and open the program but after picking a theme and restarting unable to have theme work. The window decoration does not change to the emerald selected theme. If any is having same issue and knows of a fix please let me know. Thank you in advance for your help.

This is actually a bug in Emerald, not LM. an easy fix for this is to download fusion-icon. It's in the repos. You can use it to switch between window managers. It also helps to add it to sessions so that it starts automatically.

Instead of adding Emerald to Sessions open CCSM and click on the "Window Decoration" plugin. You will notice in the "Command" field it says "/usr/bin/compiz-decorator". Erase that and type "emerald --replace" in it's place. That will ensure that Compiz loads Emerald every time you boot your PC.

Edit: I replied to this before reading completely through the thread, and I see someone else had already mentioned this. Oh well.
Lantesh
Level 6
Level 6

Postby jasonwatkins on Tue May 27, 2008 4:42 am

jman88888 wrote:A better solution might be to try going back to flash 9.

i've just checked the version i manually installed and it IS flash 9

i still have no flash content - i'll see if i can work out how to remove all flash version and start again
jasonwatkins
Level 1
Level 1

Postby deadguy on Tue May 27, 2008 4:50 am

now have beta 048 installed.
running very well on my machine.

I was glad to see so many community wallpapers added :D

also glad to see the network goodies back!

excellent work guys :D

Deadguy
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Ookami on Tue May 27, 2008 4:55 am

My comments:

Very quick to install and set up, commendable.

GNOME BUG
I've set up my Location in the Gnome time settings dialogue and it displays weather and temperature. However - and I didn't notice it in the last BETA as I hardly ever restart - it (Weather data) doesn't appear to load automatically until you re-edit the settings and wait for it to reload. I guess this is an upstream bug, but I thought I'd report on it anyway.

Everything else seems to work once I have the nVidia driver installed, thankfully.
Last edited by Ookami on Tue May 27, 2008 8:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ookami
Level 3
Level 3

Postby grizwald on Tue May 27, 2008 5:17 am

My Comment is an annoyance rather than a complaint. My criticism is with Firefox 3 and the lack of many add ons and the need to 'provide an email address' to be able to install others! Why one wonders? Probably not much we can do about it though. Is there a suitable alternative browser anyone could recommend?

I particularly like the more straightforward partitioning procedure and 'mini' graphic used.

Griz.
grizwald
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Ookami on Tue May 27, 2008 5:32 am

grizwald wrote:Is there a suitable alternative browser anyone could recommend?

I'd recommend Epiphany (aptitude install epiphany-browser) - it's a very simple browser built for the Gnome desktop based on Gecko, and apparently transitioning to WebKit, and in my opinion it's rather snazzy.

Though if you're after add-ons, then you'd probably be better off with Firefox 2, perhaps?
Ookami
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Calvin on Tue May 27, 2008 5:40 am

Another bug, Firefox RC1 likes to crash a lot, only when i have flash playing though.
Calvin
Level 1
Level 1

Postby arm1e on Tue May 27, 2008 5:47 am

Hi guys and congrats on another great beta. I do have one problem, although this seems to be a problem with many distro's. I have the atheros AR5007EG wireless adapter and have resigned myself to the fact that no distro is gonna let me connect out of the box. The workaround that I have to use is to install a patched madwifi package and disable the atheros restricted driver. My problem is that to do this I have to compile the tar file which is not a problem once the build-essential package is installed. My problem is that this package never seems to be installed by default meaning that to get my internet working i have to borrow a wired connection from a friend to download the package.

Is there any way to have this package installed by default?? Or could someone let me know if there is a way to install the package (and its dependencies) for a non internet install????

Cheers
arm1e
Level 1
Level 1

Postby thomase on Tue May 27, 2008 5:53 am

I will try again, Last time I time I wrote here (5 Min ago) hit submit I was told my username was in use and to select another one. :?
I installed Mint 5 Beta 1 and had the following problems,
1. continually getting bumped back to the desktop when trying to view videos (BBC World News, Utube,etc.) about 3 times out of 5, this problem improved when I uninstalled flash player and re-installed Flash Player 9, then about 1 in 20.
2. Mint 5 would not locate my digital cam on usb. Kodak Z710. ie does not detect new hardware being plugged in.
3. When I try to view a jpeg (.jpg) on a forum, Firefox only gives me the option of "cancel or save" it does not give me the option to open the picture.

All of the above still work fine on Daryna, dual boot but different drive, same computer.

I will be sticking with Daryna which worked ok "straight out of the box" I commend you on that distro.

I hope my comments are of some use, they are not meant as criticism just as info about my experience so far.

regards TomH
thomase
Level 1
Level 1

Postby npap on Tue May 27, 2008 6:09 am

BUGS

Sorry for intervening dear friends but I would like to remind some enthusiastic fellows that this post is being read by the Mint
team in order to register the actual bugs.
Can you imagine how much reading they have to do to just pick out the important stuff?
Asking my apology and your understanding I would like to suggest: Keep your message as short as possible.
List bugs concisely.

Cheers

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Postby npap on Tue May 27, 2008 6:19 am

SCREEN RESOLUTION BUG
Monitor resolution settings:
1280x768 is default. My 1024x768 setting for my 17" generic monitor, is never remembered when I reboot.
Resolution reverts to the default 1280x768

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Nathan_S on Tue May 27, 2008 6:23 am

Great, Already downloaded, will try later, just one request:
Because of Plug-in compatibility between firefox 2 and 3, is it possible to add a simple downgrading and upgrading option in the internet section of menu until some additional plug-in's will be compatible with Firefox 3.
Nathan_S

Postby hamburn on Tue May 27, 2008 6:34 am

Have downloaded and installed it yesterday.
Same bugs as in 032

Grub cant find it's screen picture, then it is running in a way that looks to me like DOS in the beginning 90th.
As a user you can't fix the resolution for ever after installing the NVDIA driver. When you log in again you have to do it again.
So I tried the administrator account. All I get is " The Administrator cannot log in at this window". OK, I get it in German, but it is this way.

Why is this so? I don't give much about artwork. So in my opinion, the ability to administrate my system with graphical tools is what Mint made more user friendly than Ubuntu. At least for people, who aren't Linux freaks. I, who had win32 in the last 13 years, am used to have an administrator account since xp. and other win32 users, too.
But if this ability is taken away, I better stay with Daryna, because there I can do most time what I want, and I have not to learn the syntax first. Because this bugs are so annoying I have not tried to use Elyssa more.
So I say thank you for Daryna, which is the best OS, I have used till the 80th.
But if the root account is still locked in the final, Ellysa isn't for me.

H.
for linux to be successful on the desktop for normal users, normal users have to feel comfortable with it.
The interesting users are your mother, your neighbor. Those are the people that will decide whether or not linux is accepted on the desktop.
M.B.
hamburn
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Clint on Tue May 27, 2008 7:46 am

thanks to the team,

broadcom works fine with the latest beta 048,

thanks again

clint
Clint
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rivenought on Tue May 27, 2008 8:17 am

What is the gvfs-fuse-daemon? I just installed the 048 BETA and saw this running process in my /home folder when I checked the System Monitor. I did not have this process running with the previous BETA. Is this what is supposed to be running, or do I have an odd situation brewing? I was unsure whether this was BETA-related or not. Any ideas?
rivenought
Level 5
Level 5

Postby clem on Tue May 27, 2008 8:28 am

The Gvfs-fuse daemon was added as part of the changes to make Mint more similar to Ubuntu...

The root account is not disabled, it's simply that GDM is set by default not to allow root logins. It's a very BAD idea to log in directly as root, but if that's really what you want to do you can change that setting in /etc/gdm/gdm.conf or in the "Login Window" config tool.

Clem.
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to Releases & Announcements