Linux Mint 5 Elyssa officially released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
un2him

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa officially released!

Post by un2him »

I love this distro. I echo many of the comments saying it is the best distro ever.

One thing I would really love is if there was a keyboard shortcut to open the Mint Menu. The addition of gnome-do is fantastic, I am really dependent on it now. Because I am able to do so many things now just using the keyboard, I find it actually disruptive to switch to a mouse just to click on the Mint Menu icon.

This isn't meant to sound nitpicky, I'm just letting you know what for me would make this great distro even better, IMO.

Thanks to the whole team!
Nickpick

Post by Nickpick »

tuxStyle wrote:First impression, grub splash screen is UGLY!
Low quality, ugly fonts, motto is not visible under logo ... UGLY ... very ugly :(
I wouldn't call it ugly, but the last one was definitely prettier. Especially the countdown.

UPDATE: I think I can actually live with the new GRUB... the system is AMAZING! Pretty much every issue I had with Daryna is gone! Superb! *cheers*
un2him

Post by un2him »

Just checking...there are no level 1 or 2 updates available yet. And to "play it safe" one should stick with only installing level 1 and 2 updates. I see many level 3 updates. So basically there isn't anything that needs to be updated at this point, right?
Husse

Post by Husse »

un2him wrote:Just checking...there are no level 1 or 2 updates available yet. And to "play it safe" one should stick with only installing level 1 and 2 updates. I see many level 3 updates. So basically there isn't anything that needs to be updated at this point, right?
Right - but to be honest there are things that can be updated
frisco

Post by frisco »

I just want to add to the chorus of congratulations on this release, Clem and team. This is the first distribution release that I have been able to configure wireless to work on this Toshiba laptop.

I have used many distros, and Zenwalk was capturing my imagination (that is another very, very good Linux distribution), but the look and feel of Mint won me over, plus, as I said, I was finally able to cause my Realtek 8187b internal USB wireless card to work and to have the settings stick with some advice in the networking section of these Mint forums.

I am now heading to the donation part of this site and will send money happily. :wink:

- Frisco
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

Does Elyssa stable still have the problem with adding users? I want to scrap Gutsy on the kids' computer for Elyssa, but I want to be able to do some user/group management for them so that each kid's browser favorites/history are seperate and their gmail passwords are kept seperate.
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

Thanks Lim-Dul! Problem must be solved. Yes, adduser is the way to go.

When you use the GUI to create a new user, do you need to manually create their directory and give it privs?

Looks like the kids are getting Mint tonight. Mmm... mint ice cream.

Daydream: Mint Elyssa + Enlightenment. OpenGEU is a 'buntu distro, current alpha based on Hardy, and also available as Gutsy & Hardy bolt-on packages. Bolt-on to Elyssa, which uses Hardy packages? Sounds tempting. Call it a Mint Julep?
Ookami

Post by Ookami »

AK Dave wrote:If your 048 is running smooth, try and internal upgrade following Clem's instructions. Worst case = you do a clean install later anyways.
Bit late now, I've installed and everything's working perfect now anyway. But thanks for the advice :P
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

That was basically the problem I was having before, Lim-Dum, and I believe it is the problem others had reported. Glad to know all fixed. Thanks for the report!

Mint4Kids will indeed have root password enabled, and I think I'll begin to see if there are any kiosk-like lockdown controls in Mint.
oliverjames
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oliverjames »

Installed Elyssa, Generally OK, several comments:

1. As a former XP user I still have my data files and my Mozilla email folder stored in a fat32 partition. Up to now launching Linux and thenThunderbird has allowed Thunderbird to open read/write access to this folder. The Elyssa setup requires that I first mount the fat32 partition. How can I config so that this happens on boot?
PS tried previous suggestion by Husse "There is a change in mounting of partitions
Only root and swap seems to end up in fstab
Copy the line you have in Daryna, change the dev if necessary - don't use UUID and create a folder in media if you prefer to have it there or where ever you want" No luck. This renders the data partition invisible.

2. Gnome power manager falsely displays that laptop running on battery power. Reinstall of Gnome PM corrected this but after reboot problem returns.

3. Software portal install of Realplayer 11 not good. Couldn't load it after install. Uninstalled and reinstalled with Synaptic. Still no go. Manual install from downloaded bin file with su permissions - no go. Install as user . Manual copy of Realplayer plugins necessary.

From a purely visual and ease of use viewpoint, how can I set up to have multiple desktops that I can switch by dragging the mouse pointer. Selecting no desktop effects allows the screen to be rotated thro 90 degrees. With Compiz this crashes X-windows but then it is aksking a lot of my Intel onboard video card!
eeezzzeee

Post by eeezzzeee »

Like others have said, Congrats!
I just got it installed, and I must say I am nothing but impressed as usual. Everything worked right away, no tweaking required. Thanks again for all the hard work.
ilanesh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ilanesh »

I have downoadet and burned cd, but my wireless is not working on this new release.
I tried to configure but it will not work, so without wireless I can`t use it.
so I stay with linux mint daryna, this one works out of the box with wireless and everything.
my wireless is ipw3945, also I did not find an option to post on a nother place, so I post here.
thanks
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa officially released--Miro

Post by antiquexray »

I have been very pleased thus far. Indeed, the only problem I have encountered is with respect to Miro. It's doesn't usually see videos on the hard drive, and when it does it doesn't display a thumbnail. Also, Miro freezes quite often, and when it does forced quit doesn't work.
Last edited by antiquexray on Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
oliverjames
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oliverjames »

Hi Lim-Dul,
Lim-Dul wrote:
1. As a former XP user I still have my data files and my Mozilla email folder stored in a fat32 partition.
You used FAT32 on WinXP? 0_o
Yes, Never switched to NTFS as reading and writing to it from Linux used to be problematic.

Oliverjames
oliverjames
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oliverjames »

Lim-Dul wrote:
Yes, Never switched to NTFS as reading and writing to it from Linux used to be problematic.
Ah - so you were dual-booting - understood. ^^
However, now it seems you have problems the other way round. :-D
Yes, Having always kept my Winware in a separate partition it seemed an obvious solution, another partition for Linux operating system and software, targeting the same central data partition.

Works really well except that this strange Elyssa setup requires that I manually mount the data partition before loading Thunderbird. Seems like a backward step!

Any ideas?
Last edited by oliverjames on Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

Black screen of doom = X didn't load. Your problem is almost assuredly in your xorg.conf file being malconfigured by default.

When you boot a LiveCD, do you get a graphical desktop or the black screen? You should get a graphical desktop with default video and a standard screen resolution. Ie, a stock xorg.conf. Then the installer goes to work. Does it properly config the monitor, but not the card? Does it configure the card, but an unsupported screen resolution? Dunno.

You should be able to boot to the command line ("safe mode") and from the command line edit your xorg.conf. I'd love to see your xorg.conf. But what I think you need to do is to just manually install the restricted or proprietary drivers for your Nvidia from the commandline. This install should automagically edit your xorg.conf for the new drivers and you should be in business immediately.

Start a thread in support/hardware where you provide the xorg.conf from a Mint install where you have the "black screen of doom".
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

Eric Weir wrote:
clem wrote:It is with great pleasure that I officially announce the release of Linux Mint 5 Elyssa.
I just installed RC2. Is it necessary to reinstall, or will the updating that took place after installation take care of that?
wiki says clean install is preferred, but offers instructions on how to get an upgrade if you insist. YMMV, always, but it doesn't look like the upgrade eats babies.

Try visiting here:
http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_elyssa.php ... structions

Others on this forum, myself included, have reported outstanding success with upgrades from 048 to stable.
dick

Post by dick »

Congratulations and thanks Clem & Co for this new release.

I made a clean install curious to see whether my "hardy" problems were still there (see quote).
Being a satisfied user of Daryna I recentely installed the Beta 048 version of Elyssa on a Acer Aspire laptop 1356 LMI.
After moderate testing I met the following problems:
1) X- System of live CD crashes because of wrong Xorg.conf. Bypass:: taking the old Xorg.conf from Daryna to Elyssa and restarting X (known problem in Hardy Heron too!). (My resolution: 1024x768).
2) Adding a new user is not really executed (as in Hardy Heron);
3) CUPS (IPP & LPD) network printing problems. Sending a print job to my Canon ip4500 printer connected to a Edimax print server, results in a printer who seems to start to printing but hangs shortly after this attempt ( Problem in Hardy Heron too ??). Both IPP & LPD network printing in Daryna (CUPS 1.3.2) works without any problems .
4) Wireless problem. After installing my Gigabyte wireless card (Atheros AR5211chip) with Ndiswrapper my network shows up but WPA2 connection is not possible. The NM applet keeps spinning (same problem met in Hardy Heron).
Using the MADwifi driver works (as in Daryna).
Unfortunately at least 3 of them are still there. Nr 4 , the wireless problem did n't have priority to test while I can use my wireless with a working MADwifi driver.

Nr 1 is still there but can be bypassed with the workaround (copying the old Xorg.conf from Daryna).
Nr 2 and 3 are really showstoppers for me so I googled a little bit around in Launchpad whether I could find workarounds for these problems and lucky me, I did.

Nr 2: adding new users not working. Link to the workaround: https://bugs.launchpad.net/gst/+bug/220697/comments/9 More information: https://bugs.launchpad.net/gst/+bug/220697

Nr 3: Network printing problems. Link to the workaound: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... omments/17. More info: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/213081

Hope this helps others with the same problems,

grs, Dick
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

oliverjames wrote:
Lim-Dul wrote:
Ah - so you were dual-booting - understood. ^^
However, now it seems you have problems the other way round. :-D
Yes, Having always kept my Winware in a separate partition it seemed an obvious solution, another partition for Linux operating system and software, targeting the same central data partition.

Works really well except that this strange Elyssa setup requires that I manually mount the data partition before loading Thunderbird. Seems like a backward step!

Any ideas?
Mount the partition. Look in /etc/mtab. There will be a temporary entry for your win partition. Run

Code: Select all

sudo gedit /etc/fstab
. Copy and paste the mtab entry for your win partition to the end of your /etc/fstab file, save, and reboot. It now should be mounted at each boot.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
Rob Brill

Post by Rob Brill »

I have installed Linux Mint 5 Gnome Main Edition ( fresh-clean install) final version.

86 + 13 + 7 - updates

Xu. Xu. Xu, Beleza!

I mean: Very, Very, Very Good Work!

Congrats Clem, Exploder and the team!

Roberto :D :D :D :D :D

Return to “Releases & Announcements”