Linux Mint 5 Elyssa officially released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa officially released!

Post by red-e-made »

Yeah, I'm with darco on this one: I use an nVidia GeForce 8400M GS graphics card in my HP dv6775, and after allowing an automatic installation of drivers via Envy, I've had no problems whatsoever with Elyssa. Getting rid of that kitschy Nvidia splash screen was another story. To do that, just do the following:

Open Terminal and type:

Code: Select all

sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Then change

Section "Device"
    Driver "nvidia"
EndSection
to

Section "Device"
    Driver "nvidia"
    Option "NoLogo" "true"
EndSection
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

jaeming wrote:Man I wish I could d/l this. Been trying for days but even with the closest mirror it's painful! Yes, bandwidth in NZ is not good. Can't wait to give it a go though.
Try the HEAnet mirror. Even though they are in Europe and I am in Hawaii, it was by far the fastest server for me.
yamawho
Level 3
Level 3

Post by yamawho »

darco wrote:Yesterday I was in line at Frys' buying a PS for my daughters pc and I noticed the man next to me had a "Linux for Dummies" book. He must have been in his 80''s :shock: (never to old to learn). I asked him if he was a Linux fan and he mention his grandson installed Linux on his pc. He didnt know what distro though. I told him to get Linux Mint and told him all the benefits about it and then the 2 cash register clerks over head me and they started asking about it!!!...
Spreading the word my friends!!

darco
I happy to hear they didn't lock you up :mrgreen:
Husse

Post by Husse »

@ Lolo Uila
And the ATI problems seems more or less gone..... :)
Thanks for all the help with that
ciscomint

Post by ciscomint »

First of all congratulations and thankyou so much.

On my desktop no issues to report, it just works and lets work, which at the end of the day is what it's all about -for me anyway. The changes are subtle and appear now and then, but every time is a "wow!" I like it better this way. Elyssa is really easy and fast to set up to your needs.
Actually, there is one thing that has annoyed me a bit, not sure a Mint issue though. The network manager doesn't prompt for root password straight away (as usual). It opens first and then you have to "unlock". Not big deal.

The laptop though... It takes quite a while to install (wonder why only in the laptop), in fact I thought it had crashed but went for lunch in case... and when I was back installation was over. :?: Never mind, since it is not a very powerful machine the improvements in performance are more noticeable. Excellent work guys.

BUT wifi... the Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev03) worked, in the same machine, with Daryna, virtually out of the box (after enabling and downloading the firmware). I've tried different howtos... to install bcm43xx instead of bc43... (not sure I did that properly, the card wasn't even recognized) ndiswrapper... the further I've got is to be able to scan different networks and, upon trying to connect, insert the wpa password when prompted. It keeps trying to connect till it fails... Now I'm too tired to keep trying. At least wifi does work with a usb dongle; but that is not good enough, particularly because it was working before... I'm considering going back to Daryna. It would be a pity, Everything else is better with Elyssa...

Nonetheless Elyssa is the best OS I've tried and I'm sticking with it on my desktop. Thanks again.
mmesantos1

Post by mmesantos1 »

Hey All,
I have my first issue with the final release. I have been using wireless USB adapter and have found that my connections is not as good and when I use Ubuntu Ultimate Edition 1.8. I was wondering why this would be. Please if anyone else is heaving let me know if you have found a fix for it. Thank you in advance for your help. :)
AlabamaHit

Post by AlabamaHit »

ciscomint wrote:First of all congratulations and thankyou so much.

On my desktop no issues to report, it just works and lets work, which at the end of the day is what it's all about -for me anyway. The changes are subtle and appear now and then, but every time is a "wow!" I like it better this way. Elyssa is really easy and fast to set up to your needs.
Actually, there is one thing that has annoyed me a bit, not sure a Mint issue though. The network manager doesn't prompt for root password straight away (as usual). It opens first and then you have to "unlock". Not big deal.

The laptop though... It takes quite a while to install (wonder why only in the laptop), in fact I thought it had crashed but went for lunch in case... and when I was back installation was over. :?: Never mind, since it is not a very powerful machine the improvements in performance are more noticeable. Excellent work guys.

BUT wifi... the Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev03) worked, in the same machine, with Daryna, virtually out of the box (after enabling and downloading the firmware). I've tried different howtos... to install bcm43xx instead of bc43... (not sure I did that properly, the card wasn't even recognized) ndiswrapper... the further I've got is to be able to scan different networks and, upon trying to connect, insert the wpa password when prompted. It keeps trying to connect till it fails... Now I'm too tired to keep trying. At least wifi does work with a usb dongle; but that is not good enough, particularly because it was working before... I'm considering going back to Daryna. It would be a pity, Everything else is better with Elyssa...

Nonetheless Elyssa is the best OS I've tried and I'm sticking with it on my desktop. Thanks again.
I have one of those and mine worked without useing any tutorials this is how..

First thing I did after install was installed(enable) my restricted drivers...Just my vidoe my wireless was enabled already (NOTE: there was NO check by the box...Don't mind that...

Seconds Rebooted.

Third...I ran mint udate...let it install...refreshed ran it again...refreshed ran again...(just keep doing until its completed all)

Fourth Rebooted.

Fifth I open synaptic ran update there...

Sixth..Rebooted

Seventh..(This is where I got it working.) Open your Restricted Drivers again...Note that the wireless is still Enabled but NOT checked....Put a check by it....Done...

I put everytying I done cuase the first time I installed elyssa it didnt work....But i done those process and it worked 3 times...(I like to be sure what I done was right. Cause Im new to linux, so yes I have installed Elyssa 4 times just on my labtop..And the last 3 times it worked perfect following those steps and there was nothing extra i had to do...)

Let me know if this worked :) good luck
ciscomint

Post by ciscomint »

AlabamaHit,
thanks a lot for your interest but I had no luck. To be honest I run into a bit of trouble , after updating via synaptic "quit" from MintMenu didn't work, nor the console, the machine suddenly shutdown (that may be overheating, it used to happen a lot with winXP, only once with Mint4). On booting again I found I had a choice of two kernels to boot: 24-16 and 24-18. ?¡ I tried both in case but wireless never worked - again I could see the networks but it would fail to connect. The console and the "quit" option were back on but the wired network wasn't working...

Now I am fresh installing again, when done I'll try to boot first winxp and then LM5 to see if it makes any difference as it did to falke.

In any case I am going to keep Elyssa. I remember the Broadcom wireless card didn't work with Daryna in the beginning, then one day it just did, don't ask me how. In fact it may have been after dual booting back from XP. So maybe after some update or something the same magic will happen. Up til then I'm bound to use the usb thing. I like Elyssa a lot, not giving it up.

A final note to agree with people that preferred the old grub splash and find somehow out of place the "fortunes" and root password popup after installation.
poision
Level 3
Level 3

Post by poision »

mint 5 is really gr8...but i m missing amarok n xine there..why no amarok in this version???
Bruce R
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bruce R »

It's an Amazing distribution !
A really Great job by the team.
I love the way that it's retained the newbie-friendliness of Daryna and avoided the start-up menu complications of 'the Heron' (which it seems to be 'leaner and meaner' than) and even in LiveCD mode, Elyssa matches XP responsiveness on my old 3.0GHz Northwood rig. When installed on more recent Core2 (E2160 and E4600) rigs, it really flies. ACIDrip has improved over Beta releases, able to Preview but mencoder then balks, so Daryna continues in use. When that gets fixed Elyssa will become my preferred distro. 'the Heron' might have caused some lost M# sleep. Elyssa will really rock them. Meanwhile, if ordinary folk can find a friendly Geek to install and fully set up Elyssa for them, they will be taking to it in droves ! Once installed and set up it's a breeze for ordinary folk, without the interruptions and 'technical' problems of other 'popular' systems. (I'm already 'shelving' VHP, and may end up restricting XP in favour of Elyssa or 'the Heron' in my dual-boot systems, whilst positively recommending Elyssa UserGuide reading to other newbies !)
Edit PS adding Amarok / VLC was easy with Software Portal, but had to use Synaptic to add ntfs-config and sensors.
TMoo

Post by TMoo »

Hey guys!
I just installed Mint 5 and as always it is amazing. I have one minor bug to report, tho. On my laptop (1680x1050 resolution) the bootscreen (the one with the green bar going from the left to the right) isn't fullscreen. With Daryana it worked fine. Has anyone else encountered that and knows how to fix this? It's not a big problem... but hey, it would be one step closer to perfection. :wink:
SpudGun

Post by SpudGun »

Installed mint 5 a week ago now, and installed every update going, no problems at all, this distro is fantastic, i love the open as root bit and the right click to check md5, nice touch, great work guys. :D
feinar

Post by feinar »

Hi.
Have just tried the liveCD..
Cannot get my wifi to work..
This was not a problem with Daryna...

Have an ASUS mainboard with WIFI AP something.. (M2N32-SLI Deluxe/WIFI-AP)

Installing Windows driver, "yes" on hardware present, but then I get: "wlan0 does not exist??"

How come? What to do?
hotweiss

Post by hotweiss »

feinar wrote:Hi.
Have just tried the liveCD..
Cannot get my wifi to work..
This was not a problem with Daryna...

Have an ASUS mainboard with WIFI AP something.. (M2N32-SLI Deluxe/WIFI-AP)

Installing Windows driver, "yes" on hardware present, but then I get: "wlan0 does not exist??"

How come? What to do?
I have an Atheros Wifi card in my desktop... For some reason it didn't work with the lived CD, but once I installed it, it worked perfectly.

I just dumped Vista off my desktop!
hotweiss

Post by hotweiss »

For those of you with Nvidia video cards, enable the Ubuntu proposed repositories and update. You should have the new Envy installed which has the new 173.14.05 drivers. I noticed a performance improvement with these drivers, plus they support a lot of new cards...

Post by Guest »

Thanks for another great release!

I only having one trouble (for now however :p ), how do I change from Simple Compiz Config Settings Manager to CompizConfig Settings Manager. Whatever I do in CCSM doesn't change, I had to delete SCCSM, but them Costum is removed for Appearance>Visual Effects, and if I would like to change on and off the Compiz Effects by clicking Extra, everything is reset every time :/
hotweiss

Post by hotweiss »

Guest wrote:Thanks for another great release!

I only having one trouble (for now however :p ), how do I change from Simple Compiz Config Settings Manager to CompizConfig Settings Manager. Whatever I do in CCSM doesn't change, I had to delete SCCSM, but them Costum is removed for Appearance>Visual Effects, and if I would like to change on and off the Compiz Effects by clicking Extra, everything is reset every time :/
Just go into the Advanced Desktop Effects Settings in Preferences menu.

Post by Guest »

hotweiss wrote:

I've tried that before deleting SCCSM, but the changes made in CCSM doesn't seems to cooperate ... :(

Post by Guest »

Actually, it seems like the changes appear in both SCCSM og CCSM, but they will not apply to the desktop for some reason.
hotweiss

Post by hotweiss »

Guest wrote:
hotweiss wrote:

I've tried that before deleting SCCSM, but the changes made in CCSM doesn't seems to cooperate ... :(
You have to reboot for some reason...

Return to “Releases & Announcements”