Linux Mint 5 Elyssa officially released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
NCFC

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa officially released!

Post by NCFC »

I've been dabbling in the multitude of Linux distros for quite a while now and recently made a complete switch (Desktop and Notebook) over to Mint from Ubuntu. I must commend the Mint developers for creating such a fine OS that even the most hardened Windows / Snapple user would appreciate.

Mint is nothing short of a fresh breath of air to this Linux user. I've always migrated to Debian and it's derivatives and by far Mint is at the top.

Keep up the great work and looking forward to bigger and better things from the Mint developers.

Ta.

On The Ball City!
Kiwi-Hawk

Post by Kiwi-Hawk »

Hi

This is the first install I have done of Mint,..

I sparked it up on an AMD 2 6400 chip and the output is to my 40" LCD HDTV via a Nvidia 7900 card

I have to say,.. you got the distro name right this is MINT man, this puppy humbs

My Logitech MX5000 is the main issue I have at this point

I down loaded this thinking I was getting the Elisa Media center, but I got a choice OS instead,.. was running Ear-Media and it had my MX5000 working choice, but no write to HDD's and no root access unless I spent 79 Euro so here I am and looking like I have another way to do this wee Media Center of mine

Cheers
Kiwi-Hawk

PS I'm gonna throw this disk at my PX 8800 GTX and see if the live disk runn GUI off boot,.. nothing has yet

Post by Guest »

My wireless is also not supported, it worked fine out of the box in mint 4 and in ubuntu 7/8, but no longer working in 6. I hve an Atheros card in BenQ S32(B) notebook, problem for me is that I do not have wired internet connection, I use a hot spot for my internet. Guess I will stick with ubuntu until Atheros cards are back on the menu.
BakUp
Level 3
Level 3

Post by BakUp »

I hope this is not considered a double post, I am just trying to draw attention to a MintMenu issue in Elyssa, as it appears to be ignored in this thread.

http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 612#p91612
Last edited by BakUp on Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Linux Distros:
sidux - Parsix - DreamLinux - Mint
mmesantos1

Post by mmesantos1 »

This is for mcurran,
I have been running Linux mint 5.0 with the most current kernel and have not had the issues you have mentioned. I am including a screen shot of the kernel packages I am running in case this may help you with your issue.
vodamaxe

Post by vodamaxe »

Excellent work !
Finally the Linux that works.
As a laptop user I tried to seriously switch from windows to linux 3 times over the last couple of year, working hard with opensuse and even harder on fedora. linux Mint actually is the only one that does the job for me !
Again, excellent work!

/vodamaxe
linux.ll--ll.net
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

Question: Did Elyssa dump the UUID device designation and go back to the good old device numbering system (/dev/sdx)? I installed Elyssa Gnome and Xfce on the same hard drive and neither one uses UUID. Since I multi boot 4 - 5 Linux distros I am happy not to be in Ubuntu UUID hell! :)
Using Mint as primary OS since 2006.
mmesantos1

Post by mmesantos1 »

I just installed Linux Mint 5 KDE Beta 044, I added KDE4 and now I am running KDE4 as my default GUI and it is running good so far! Here is a screen shot for you. :)
Kiwi-Hawk

Post by Kiwi-Hawk »

Hi

lol sorry to be a pain but I would very much like you wallpaper or it's source, It's so choice

and if your saying you got the latest KDE with the plasma desktop running a wee how to so I know what sources to use
and what files NOT to miss.

A mate sparked up Kubuntu with that on and does not have his cube desktop yet,.. did you loose yours upgrading?

Cheers
Kiwi-Hawk
mmesantos1

Post by mmesantos1 »

Kiwi-Hawk wrote:Hi

lol sorry to be a pain but I would very much like you wallpaper or it's source, It's so choice

and if your saying you got the latest KDE with the plasma desktop running a wee how to so I know what sources to use
and what files NOT to miss.

A mate sparked up Kubuntu with that on and does not have his cube desktop yet,.. did you loose yours upgrading?

Cheers
Kiwi-Hawk
You can get the wallpaper from Gnome-Look.org. And as far as the Desktop cube yes I lost it with KDE4, when I went to activate the Compiz I got a white screen. I had to use the built in effects that come with KDE4 and there is no cube option in those settings, at least none that I could find. I normally use Gnome not KDE so it could be due to my lack of knowledge with that GUI. At any rate I hope this info answers your questions. :)
Kiwi-Hawk

Post by Kiwi-Hawk »

Hi

Thank you yes it does,.. and I'd like offer you this

I dout it's you knowledge or lack of at this point, the mate I have thats loaded the same KDE as said the cube is at this point
broken or not put in yet as it still a bit green, sounds to me like you need wear gloves so you don't get grubby fingers from the wet
paint lol

A wee PS,.. can I please get the file name off you,.. I done 400 pages and not found it lol

Cheers
Kiwi-Hawk
mmesantos1

Post by mmesantos1 »

Thank you yes it does,.. and I'd like offer you this

I dout it's you knowledge or lack of at this point, the mate I have thats loaded the same KDE as said the cube is at this point
broken or not put in yet as it still a bit green, sounds to me like you need wear gloves so you don't get grubby fingers from the wet
paint lol

A wee PS,.. can I please get the file name off you,.. I done 400 pages and not found it lol

Cheers
Kiwi-Hawk
Here is the link for the wallpaper. I used Mint Upload. :)
http://files.mint-space.com/getfile,200 ... e.jpg.html
Kiwi-Hawk

Post by Kiwi-Hawk »

Hi

Thank you vey much

Cheers
Kiwi-Hawk
mmesantos1

Post by mmesantos1 »

Thank you vey much

Cheers
Kiwi-Hawk

Your welcome. :)
kwisher

Post by kwisher »

Hello All,

When I boot with the Live CD, how do I get the option to choose "safe graphics mode"? I am trying to boot my multi-media box connected to my TV and the default resolution does not work with it.

TIA
Husse

Post by Husse »

@ Mon1018
Are you trying to make yourself funny?
I've seen this strange post more than once now completely out of context
Don't!
Helmsdeeper

Post by Helmsdeeper »

I wanted to thank all of the people behind Linux Mint, excellent experience so far. This is my first installation of Mint.
I tested the live gnome Elyssa on my Toshiba A205-S4707 Intel-based laptop, worked great. And that's saying quite a bit since I normally choose kde. I installed it over Klikit .1-9 RC2 (based on gutsy) which I was having a hard time getting the audio to work.
I must say I am very impressed so far, so I just registered and sent in a donation.
Keep up the great work!
Eesaurus

Post by Eesaurus »

Hi!

First post here. Nothing to say really, but i just had to come to tell you that Linux Mint is just great. I have nothing bad to say about it, and i'm puzzled that it's not more known that it is. Why everybody's talking 'bout Ubuntu when it comes to Linux, if you can have something like Mint?

Well, my first Linux was Ubuntu, and it was all right. At first there were these codecs and codes that you had to put into the system etc., but then it was ok. Still, when i found and tried Mint, i was sold. Mint looks good, works fine (out of the box!), is still open if you want to hassle with it, is safe, is free. Did i miss something? Propably. Ah, yes, it's stable too. :D What more can you ask for a operating system (or distribution)? Yes, i don't play much. :wink:

Great work!!!
mmesantos1

Post by mmesantos1 »

Eesaurus wrote:Hi!

First post here. Nothing to say really, but i just had to come to tell you that Linux Mint is just great. I have nothing bad to say about it, and i'm puzzled that it's not more known that it is. Why everybody's talking 'bout Ubuntu when it comes to Linux, if you can have something like Mint?

Well, my first Linux was Ubuntu, and it was all right. At first there were these codecs and codes that you had to put into the system etc., but then it was ok. Still, when i found and tried Mint, i was sold. Mint looks good, works fine (out of the box!), is still open if you want to hassle with it, is safe, is free. Did i miss something? Propably. Ah, yes, it's stable too. :D What more can you ask for a operating system (or distribution)? Yes, i don't play much. :wink:

Great work!!!
I second Eesaures! :D

Return to “Releases & Announcements”