Linux Mint 5 Elyssa officially released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
frank392
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa officially released!

Post by frank392 »

OK Clem what have you done? my computer flies :D Elyssa is super fast!!, I was using ubuntu 64bit and Elyssa is way much faster.
THANK YOU!! :D :D :D
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Post by red-e-made »

Just now toying around with Compiz stuff, and I really like the Shift Switcher

http://i25.tinypic.com/2qa5ykm.png

Post by Guest »

sarah wrote:I am disappointed, my wireless still is not supported, I have waited long enough........
Well, if your wireless is not supported, then it means it's not supported by the Linux kerne!l, so you're out of luck with ANY distro ;)
It's not Mint's fault.
kevmille

Post by kevmille »

Dang, it has not fully downloaded on Vietnam BSD/Linux Mirror yet. Will try bittorrent. Can't wait to give LM5 a try.
GoustiFruit
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GoustiFruit »

Guest wrote:
sarah wrote:I am disappointed, my wireless still is not supported, I have waited long enough........
Well, if your wireless is not supported, then it means it's not supported by the Linux kerne!l, so you're out of luck with ANY distro ;)
It's not Mint's fault.
My wireless still has problems (rt2500, limited to about 40 kB/s when running native) -> need to blacklist rt2500/rt2500pci and use ndiswrapper to get full bandwidth (about 1 MB/s)
hotweiss

Post by hotweiss »

Thanks for all the hard work.
arm1e

Post by arm1e »

Hey guys.

Thanks for this unbelievable edition of mint! Its simply brilliant! Installation no prob and wireless working (via ndiswrapper and ath_pci blacklist).

:?: One problem that remains from the beta, when installing wireless driver via the gui system freezes and driver is incorrectly installed. This is not a major issue as it is doable from the commandline.

Cheers again :mrgreen:
rcdeacon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rcdeacon »

Just installed 5.0. So far so good. Thanks for all the hard work.
Neither is there in any other: for there is no other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved. Acts 4:12.
Dell Dimension 4600, 1g, Nvidia 5500, Mint 4.0, Mepis 7.0, XP
Acer Aspire 5002 WLMi, 1g, Sis 760, Mint 4.0
Tithis

Post by Tithis »

I did a completly clean install for this one and everything has worked fine so far. Firefox has yet to crash because of youtube, but I won't say its fixed until I go a week without it crashing. I did notice that occasionally youtube videos sound will play but no video will display, refreshing will always fix this.

So good job guys, looks like a good solid release.

Post by Guest »

Excellent work.

I specially like the new themes, bunch of applications, and that almost all of my hardware works from the box.
I expected a nicer main menu (a bit more color), and the possibility to resize it.
nyah

Post by nyah »

i'm loving elyssa so far, but the headphone jack on my toshiba a135 still doesn't work. i've tried the fix that worked for me in daryna to no avail.
om121

Post by om121 »

MagnusB wrote:Better get on wget then :)
Eladior

Post by Eladior »

Hello everyone this is my first time using Linux Mint and though i have only seen a few of its characteristics,i believe that it is a very good distribution.However i do have some problems(which are hightly likable to derive from my previous installation of Ubuntu 7.10 and later upgraded to 8.04).First problem(or bug) is that in the Syster monitor Screen it says Ubuntu Release 8.04(Hardy).Another problem is that when the visuals effects are set to on and i try alt+tab the screen behind the background reminds me of my older ubuntu background and finally again with visuals effects set to on the workspace switchers doesn't work but when there are no visual effects they work fine,finally my visual effects go automaticaly to custom everytime i set them on after having set to normal or high.

P.S Since this is my first post here,i don't know whether this category is the right one for the kind of post i have done so don't be mean :P
tawan

Post by tawan »

great work Clem and Co :D

BUGS: (sorry) can't change group with GUI and Gimp crashes with carbon theme

1) Admin > Users and Groups > (unlock) > Properties > Advanced > change group (i needed vboxusers)

bug = chosen value reverts each time

2) Using Carbon Theme > open Gimp > find anything with input boxes (some filters, the user prefs, resize image) > Gimp freezes

bug = gimp freezes when inputing a value when mint theme is set to Carbon

____

But LOVE Elyssa (i think i love Clem) tweaks in the Mint Menu are great, and the rest too great great great :D
Fergus
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Fergus »

Clem and Linux Mint Team.

thank you so much! I have just finished upgrading from Bianca and let me tell you, this version is close to perfect!
I was so nervous that i was going to lose things in the upgrade. I remember when i first took the plunge with bianca, i was excited but little things bugged me. Things weren't quite as polished as i'd hoped they would be. On my upgrade journey everything has worked, i haven't had any problems at all yet. Everything i had installed before is working fine, the distro looks great now. It feels stable and with the help of a few apps i am certain this will break my windows dependency.

Thank for your hard work!
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

Lim-Dul wrote:I followed the upgrade instructions on the homepage since I figured that RC2 might not be too different from the final version and everything went smoothly but using apt installed some level 4 and 5 updates (obviously)... I wonder if this will make my system unstable - I don't mean the odd glitch here and there but unstable as in "render unusable". ;-)
This is what I did, roughly, and had no problems except as expected (documented bugs, not Mint's fault).

What I'd actually done was a CLI upgrade. I'd previously installed 048 and done some 1/2 updates. Then Sunday I followed the upgrade instructions from CLI with the difference that my sources.list was largely uncommented. Thus, backports and proposed and unstable were all available to me. I was planning that I'd need to do a clean install anyways, so worst case is I waste some bandwidth and brick my 048 install.

No bad karma. Everything went fine. Now running Elyssa with the -19 kernel and everything from proposed. Its like having Elyssa based on 8.04.1 instead of 8.04. The problems with this approach, as pointed out in the docs, are many. I need to go through my system very carefully looking for bugs and cannot blame Mint on anything I find. I noted OpenOffice upgraded to 2.4.1 and at the same time went from green to orange splash. I did lose my desktop background on reboot, put it back in place manually, and it appears to be sticky. I'm running the restricted fglrx for my ATI card but haven't run EnvyNG to install the proprietary ATI driver; nevertheless, Compiz enables fine and suspend/hibernate both work properly. I haven't tested for interference with video playback or with Impress/Powerpoint. In the past I only get dual monitor support on my laptop with proprietary ATI through the Catalyst control panel; I don't expect this has changed.

Flash works perfectly now for me. My kids and I killed 30min last night watching dumb stuff on YouTube with my laptop (Elyssa.proposed). I advise anyone with Flash problems to do this:
apt-get remove --purge flashplugin-nonfree libflashsupport
apt-get install libflashsupport
apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree

That worked for me. Cut-paste those lines from Clem's upgrade instructions. It may have worked so well for me because my sources.list has very few ## lines in it.

My overall initial impression of Elyssa is that it boots to the login faster than Daryna, but Daryna-KDE gets to the desktop faster. Profiling and tweaking writeback should help Elyssa. Tweaking Sessions should help Elyssa. Elyssa is crisper once on the desktop than was Daryna, but not crisper than Daryna-KDE although Elyssa launchs OpenOffice faster than Daryna-KDE (OO 2.4.1 vs OO 2.3, so not direct comparison). FF3 on Elyssa launches slower than FF2 on Daryna-KDE; this may be due to profiling/writeback tweaks. Once I sniff the bugs in my nonstandard install, I'll know if I need to do a clean install. I'm treating this system as "Elyssa.proposed" rather than "Elyssa.stable" due to the -19 kernel and some 3/4/5 level updates, so YMMV and I won't be complaining here when I stub my toe on something.

I don't advise following my upgrade path unless you 1) know what you're doing 2) are prepared to do a clean install 3) have good backups and 4) have another bootable partition as a safety net.
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

carbon_unit wrote:I am still running Daryna and I have a separate / and /home partitions. Can I install without formatting the /home partition or will it cause problems?
As said before, 90% likely this will work fine with only deleting some config directories.

I suggest that you run mintbackup, delete the existing config directories (hidden .something folders) from the LiveCD prior to install, and then install with the installer pointed to the / and /home directories you want. Selectively restore the config directories (hidden .something folders). Mintbackup is pretty smart about what you really need to backup (usually just enough to save email and browser favorites).
Ookami

Post by Ookami »

Better get to work installing this beast, then.
Having had hardly any problems with the last two Betas, I doubt I have anything to worry about. Save from having to change the wallpaper for the third time in a few weeks :o

I blame the Mint team for making the release of Elyssa go so smoothly. Why no delays, or some glorious incompetence? :|
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

If your 048 is running smooth, try and internal upgrade following Clem's instructions. Worst case = you do a clean install later anyways.
Nickpick

Post by Nickpick »

Stupid question: Is there any place I can read on how to install it over Daryna?

EDIT: Got it! Thanks everybody!
Last edited by Nickpick on Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”