Linux Mint 5 Elyssa officially released!

Releases and other announcements
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa officially released!

Postby vortex_noob on Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:39 am

I had problems w/ initramfs on Elyssa.

Never encountered these sort of problem using Cassandra and Daryna.
My spec is:
Intel C2D E6400
AsRock 775Dual-VSTA Via PT880 Pro
2 GB RAM
Leadtek 6800XT 128MB

A workaround that I used to get into login window was by editing the /boot/grub/menu.lst
from 'kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24.16 - generic root=/dev/sda1 ro quiet_splash' and change the 'quiet_splash' into 'all_generic_ide'

However, I noticed that after grub loads, the time it takes to get into the login window is very very long. And once I got into the desktop, the 'login window ready' sound was looping on and on, so I turned that particular system sound altogether to fix the problem.

Using the pulse sound, I noticed crackling sound when playing music that and Rhythmbox-metadata uses so much CPU resources that it interferes w/ tvtime and Totem running smoothly when run together that never happened in the previous Mint. Does anybody know how to alleviate these problems? As far as the interface, I love Elyssa but the pulse sound problem and the slow loading time really ruin the whole Mint experience :(
Is it pulse or is it a conflict w/ my old settings in /home partition. I didn't erase any /. folders before upgrading.

I'll try to resolve these issues for a few days but If they still persist, I'm going back to Daryna (currently downloading again coz I gave my CD to a friend since I was so satisfied w/ it and wanted my friend to convert :)) and wait for the next revision. Mint rocks
vortex_noob
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby psykid on Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:15 am

Wonderful Job. Great Distro. If it wouldn`t be carlsberg probably the best beer in the word , i bet Mint would kick ass also. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
OPen Source is BETTER.
psykid
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ksousa on Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:43 am

Since I've made the fresh install of LM5 everything works very smooth and with any kind of problem ... Except the LM Forum where i can't read what the people write there. I need made copy/paste .... :( ... why?? ... anybody has the same problem???
ksousa
Level 1
Level 1

Postby AK Dave on Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:30 pm

ksousa wrote:Since I've made the fresh install of LM5 everything works very smooth and with any kind of problem ... Except the LM Forum where i can't read what the people write there. I need made copy/paste .... :( ... why?? ... anybody has the same problem???

Problem with fonts and colors perhaps? Maybe something to do with your selected Theme?
AK Dave
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Dupo on Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:30 pm

Why Elyssa livecd is so slow on an old computer with 256mb ram ?

I had never this problem with Daryna. Daryna worked very well.
With Elyssa, the installation takes too much time to start, and I do not see the end. With Daryna, I never had this problem.

Can you explain me ?

Thanks.
Dupo
Level 4
Level 4

Postby AK Dave on Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:48 pm

Try Elyssa Lite perhaps?

My thoughts: Elyssa may have a heavier hardware requirement, albiet slightly, heavier libraries, or perhaps the CD is better packaged with more dense archiving which takes more time to unpackage. You do know that the CD's iso is heavily compressed, taking a 2.5-3gig install and cramming into <700meg of CD.
AK Dave
Level 6
Level 6

Postby tawan on Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:26 pm

AK Dave wrote:Try Elyssa Lite perhaps?

Lite is not light/lite in weight - - it just doesn't have codecs and some stuff ;)

maybe the name is at fault, it is not a lite edition in the sense of performance needs, it just has less of the good stuff.
tawan
Level 4
Level 4

Postby AK Dave on Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:55 pm

It is also a smaller install, having lost those codecs (etc).
AK Dave
Level 6
Level 6

Postby bradodo on Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:04 am

Congratulations! :D
I have been running Mint5 Main Edition for 4 days, and it's working beautifully...
Also tested the first beta of Elyssa with no problems (apart from being surprised at how many sites use the flash plug-in!)
Setup: HP compaq nc8000 notebook (1.8GHz, 1GB RAM, ATI Mobility Radeon 9600/9700)
- ATI driver (via tasty new ENVY NG) is working brilliantly!!
Main apps: Netbeans 6.0.1, Monodevelop, Komodo Edit, Virtualbox, MySQL GUI tools
..Generally Mint 5 seems snappier and I love the subtle, user-friendly improvements to the Main menu and all the minty tools (Mint update, Mint install, etc..).
I had hoped to provide some constructive criticism, but Elyssa has been working great for me so far.....
Thank you to everyone involved with Linux Mint, you should be very proud!
Brad Herdson
Sydney, Australia
bradodo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby melbo on Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:54 am

Awesome! I see what they were saying about 'snappy'... It just rocks on my 5 yr old Acer laptop. Not a single problem so far and I did find one really cool bonus to my system! My Synaptics Touchpad now has one finger scroll if I run my finger along the far right side of the pad! A lot like my XP system at work (HP).

I'm very happy with this release and a big congrats to Clem and the whole Mint gang!
I still need to back up my important stuff in /home partition and do a clean install to get rid of all that junk I don't use anymore.

Thanks again!!

Oh, should I run the "mark all upgrades" in synaptic to pull the 2.6.24-18 kernel?

edit: I just noticed some ubuntu icons in my menu? Is this because I didn't fresh install my /home and just fresh installed the filesystem?
melbo
Level 2
Level 2

Postby chiskop on Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:49 am

Just like to add myself to the long list of folks already providing their thanks and congratulations.

Thanks everybody for this, and very well done. :D

@melbo: I did the same thing as you, and I also have some left over ubuntu icons in my menu. The only real problem that I had was that my new mint install defaulted to the ubuntu Applications/Places/System menu but removing some gnome config files got the much nicer mint menu back at the next login. :)
chiskop
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Zero Prime on Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:15 pm

I just installed yesterday. I have to say that this is a great release. It runs even better, for me, after updating to the latest kernel.
Zero Prime
Level 3
Level 3

Postby kanishka on Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:41 pm

I was a bit scared to update my perfect-working Elyssa with the gnome-xxx updates (level 3), fearing to be no longer able to change the wallpaper (horror!) or worse.
In the end I did it, and... everything is smooth as before. :D

Elyssa is a real pleasure. It seems to be twice as fast as Daryna. Outstanding work!!! 8) 8)
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Lolo Uila on Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:39 pm

Yea, the latest round of L3 updates seems to have fixed the wallpaper issue, but Firefox seems to be partially broken now. :(

One of the Forums I frequent (http://boardsus.playstation.com) has the option of HTML or Graphic (WYSIWYG) editors. After the latest L3 updates I can't use the Graphical editor any longer. Or the spell check for that matter (although realtime spell checking is still working). When I click on the buttons nothing happens. :(

Still working in my Celena install.
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Lim-Dul on Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:47 pm

By the way - wallpaper changing worked before (kind of) - you just needed to use the cursor keys instead of the mouse. ^^
War does not determine who is right - only who is left. - Bertrand Russell
Lim-Dul
Level 2
Level 2

Postby elbeto on Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:14 pm

I'm back to Daryna.

I've been using Elyssa for a couple of days and it seems that the Betas worked better than the final release.

I have the known issues with the background and the updates. I had issues with Flash in Firefox. I tried to go back to Firefox 2 but many things don't work anymore, like trying to install the google toolbar. I know that this is not LM fault. Also I was dissapointed to see a new release already after the new iso came on Friday. I understand that it's impossible to cover everything,and in some areas Elyssa is much better than Daryna,but Daryna is more stable,so I choose to come back to the old lady. Maybe I will wait a little bit to upgrade until some issues get resolved.

Question, can I port the new Mintmenu to Daryna?

Thanks

elbeto
elbeto
Level 2
Level 2

Postby tawan on Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:18 pm

elbeto wrote:I have the known issues with the background and the updates. I had issues with Flash in Firefox.
elbeto

to avoid that we disabled level 3 updates, it shouds like you may have received a level 3 update

elbeto wrote:Also I was dissapointed to see a new release already after the new iso came on Friday.
elbeto

nothing to be dissappointed over, it fixes isses for new users, anyone with an "old" iso can do a simple fix :)

elbeto wrote:Question, can I port the new Mintmenu to Daryna?
elbeto

i heard someone say you could, but not sure how official that was

good luck, i hope you get sorted :)
tawan
Level 4
Level 4

Postby mmesantos1 on Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:43 am

Hi All,
I finally had a chance to install the final release of Linux Mint 5.0. I have just moved to a new home and had to use a wireless USB adapter for my internet connection during the install and it worked during the live CD session and after the install. I must say I was not able to get that to work on the previous version of Linux Mint 4.0. I am very happy with the way this version of Linux mint runs out of box and after or Post install. :D

I would like to thank all who were involved in making this version of Linux Mint what it is!
Last edited by mmesantos1 on Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mmesantos1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby Lolo Uila on Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:38 am

Hmm... okay, the Firefox problem I mentioned earlier seems to have gone away on its own. I even tried installing the L4 updates and still had the problem (but no others so far, so it looks like L4 didn't break anything). Then this evening I returned to the PSU forums to reply to some threads, and all of the sudden the Graphical editor & manual spell check were working again. :?

It seemed to start after I did the latest round of L3 updates, but now I am thinking it was just a coincidence... I have noticed a few changes at the PSU forums, so now I suspect they were updating the forum software and it was a temporary glitch. Odd that it didn't affect Firefox in Celena?

So... I guess we can disregard that Firefox issue I posted above, since it appears it really wasn't a problem. :oops:

And even with the Elyssa Backports, and Ubuntu Backports & Proposed repos enabled, and L3 & L4 updates applied it is still running great. 8)
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Postby bogstandard on Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:38 am

HP dx2250, Athlon X2 5000+, 2GB memory, 250GB SATA HD, SATA Lightscribe dvdr, 250GB IDE HD and an Nvidia 7600GS card.

The liveCD booted up fine and the install went fine (after deactivating the IDE drive in my BIOS ) using my old Daryna /home partition.

Loaded up fine - all seemed well.

Tried to install the nvidia driver using Envy, which seemed to go fine, rebooted into a blank screen

Reinstalled and tried the restricted drivers manager, rebooted and could only select a 400x600 resolution

Any ideas? I thought nvidia was good for linux...

EDIT - Followed this and it worked!
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=797270
Last edited by bogstandard on Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bogstandard
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to Releases & Announcements