Linux Mint 5 Elyssa officially released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa officially released!

Postby tuxStyle on Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:32 pm

First impression, grub splash screen is UGLY!
Low quality, ugly fonts, motto is not visible under logo ... UGLY ... very ugly :(

Second, my Broadcom is not working with ndiswrapper.
I have to dig more ... the good part, is working with restricted drivers but it takes 2 or 3 tries to authenticate with the AP.
Anyway, this give me a chance to ding on forums.

I can't find any way to monitor the temperature of processor.
In Daryna i had something (an applet???) which showed me the temperature.
tuxStyle
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby unreal223 on Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:31 pm

All I can say is thank you very much.
I have been fighting the battle to switch to linux for close to 2 years now and finally this is the one that has convinced me to keep it full time.
The latest ubuntu was close but my internet was SLOW and I tried all the fixes, on mint 5 its as speedy as windows. Everything worked with little to no tweaking and for the first time I can use your default font(hated daryana but the tweaks you made are awesome).

I'm sitting in front of my laptop wondering what should I change and I honestly cant think of anything. The only thing I had to do was install msttcorefonts and now this system is as perfect as its ever been.

I know you get told this a lot, but thank you.
I'm even going to use the annoying firefox google search just to try and pay you back as much as I can.(I'm currently just a very broke college student)
unreal223
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Lim-Dul on Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:37 pm

This is what I did, roughly, and had no problems except as expected (documented bugs, not Mint's fault).
[...]
No bad karma.

Good to know. I was a bit reluctant since a failed distro upgrade is what made me abandon Ubuntu Edgy Eft back in the day and switch to single-booting Windows with SLAX on a USB Flash Drive. =)
War does not determine who is right - only who is left. - Bertrand Russell
Lim-Dul
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Nickpick on Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:02 pm

tuxStyle wrote:First impression, grub splash screen is UGLY!
Low quality, ugly fonts, motto is not visible under logo ... UGLY ... very ugly :(

I wouldn't call it ugly, but the last one was definitely prettier. Especially the countdown.

UPDATE: I think I can actually live with the new GRUB... the system is AMAZING! Pretty much every issue I had with Daryna is gone! Superb! *cheers*
"Critical thinking isn't typically an attribute of human mind..." ~~ Richard Dawkins
Toshiba Satellite A100-691; ATI Mobility Radeon x1400; Intel Centrino CoreDuo T2250
ASUS Eee 1002HA
Nickpick
Level 2
Level 2

Postby un2him on Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:36 pm

Just checking...there are no level 1 or 2 updates available yet. And to "play it safe" one should stick with only installing level 1 and 2 updates. I see many level 3 updates. So basically there isn't anything that needs to be updated at this point, right?
un2him

Postby Husse on Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:49 pm

un2him wrote:Just checking...there are no level 1 or 2 updates available yet. And to "play it safe" one should stick with only installing level 1 and 2 updates. I see many level 3 updates. So basically there isn't anything that needs to be updated at this point, right?

Right - but to be honest there are things that can be updated
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby frisco on Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:11 pm

I just want to add to the chorus of congratulations on this release, Clem and team. This is the first distribution release that I have been able to configure wireless to work on this Toshiba laptop.

I have used many distros, and Zenwalk was capturing my imagination (that is another very, very good Linux distribution), but the look and feel of Mint won me over, plus, as I said, I was finally able to cause my Realtek 8187b internal USB wireless card to work and to have the settings stick with some advice in the networking section of these Mint forums.

I am now heading to the donation part of this site and will send money happily. :wink:

- Frisco
frisco
Level 1
Level 1

Postby dilfatx on Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:13 pm

Any word on the new XFCE desktop version? This post was placed in the XFCE section of the forum but the update is for the gnome.. Just curious if its in the works I have done a search and unless I did something wrong there isn't much talks about a new update for XFCE desktop version of Elyssa?

I see the light version but that is still GNOME.. is that going to compensate for XFCE?
dilfatx
Level 1
Level 1

Postby AK Dave on Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:20 pm

Does Elyssa stable still have the problem with adding users? I want to scrap Gutsy on the kids' computer for Elyssa, but I want to be able to do some user/group management for them so that each kid's browser favorites/history are seperate and their gmail passwords are kept seperate.
AK Dave
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Lim-Dul on Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:37 pm

Does Elyssa stable still have the problem with adding users?

What exactly were the problems with user management (that's not a rhetorical question - I've been using Elyssa for just a few days)? I just added a user with the GUI app and the account works fine. I prefer to add users with adduser (must be my non-GUI Linux past), however, and that seems to be working as well. =)
Lim-Dul
Level 2
Level 2

Postby AK Dave on Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:44 pm

Thanks Lim-Dul! Problem must be solved. Yes, adduser is the way to go.

When you use the GUI to create a new user, do you need to manually create their directory and give it privs?

Looks like the kids are getting Mint tonight. Mmm... mint ice cream.

Daydream: Mint Elyssa + Enlightenment. OpenGEU is a 'buntu distro, current alpha based on Hardy, and also available as Gutsy & Hardy bolt-on packages. Bolt-on to Elyssa, which uses Hardy packages? Sounds tempting. Call it a Mint Julep?
AK Dave
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Ookami on Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:54 pm

AK Dave wrote:If your 048 is running smooth, try and internal upgrade following Clem's instructions. Worst case = you do a clean install later anyways.

Bit late now, I've installed and everything's working perfect now anyway. But thanks for the advice :P
Ookami
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Lim-Dul on Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:59 pm

When you use the GUI to create a new user, do you need to manually create their directory and give it privs?

Was that the bug? I didn't need to set anything manually (although I had the option to). The directory was created automatically with correct permissions and the account had correct privileges (default user template) as well. No problems at all.
Lim-Dul
Level 2
Level 2

Postby AK Dave on Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:40 pm

That was basically the problem I was having before, Lim-Dum, and I believe it is the problem others had reported. Glad to know all fixed. Thanks for the report!

Mint4Kids will indeed have root password enabled, and I think I'll begin to see if there are any kiosk-like lockdown controls in Mint.
AK Dave
Level 6
Level 6

Postby King Leoric on Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:08 pm

I would like to add something for a fresh install of Elyssa. The first I have made is to boot in compatability mode. Then when it booted, I did a fresh install using manual and reiserfs as my journaling system. It installed perfect but when reboots, somewhat somehow compiz is not running. Can't get the compiz up and running. Never had a problem with other distros and beta 032 and 048. I have a intel GMA 915 video. Anyway, i tried to find some notes about but after trying to find the solution, I have tried to reinstall again. But this time, I did a normal live boot. Not touching anything until it shows the desktop. I did same manual installation and when it reboots, wow, compiz is running and never had occurred the compz problem again.

I don't know if it's a bug or what. ANyway, just sharing.

But for the Linuxmint team, congrats for job well done. Linux mint will be hitting big in the linux world for this time of Year!

God Bless all of you

greetings from philippines
The more you study, the more you learn. The more you learn, the more you know. The more you know, the more you forget. So why study??
King Leoric
Level 1
Level 1

Postby thisguydoug on Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:15 am

Wonderful job and thanks to all who put Linux Mint together. I did a clean install of Linux Mint 5 Elyssa tonite, and, holy crap, is it fast! I'm a happy camper. :D Nice job.
thisguydoug
Level 1
Level 1

Postby oliverjames on Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:33 am

Installed Elyssa, Generally OK, several comments:

1. As a former XP user I still have my data files and my Mozilla email folder stored in a fat32 partition. Up to now launching Linux and thenThunderbird has allowed Thunderbird to open read/write access to this folder. The Elyssa setup requires that I first mount the fat32 partition. How can I config so that this happens on boot?
PS tried previous suggestion by Husse "There is a change in mounting of partitions
Only root and swap seems to end up in fstab
Copy the line you have in Daryna, change the dev if necessary - don't use UUID and create a folder in media if you prefer to have it there or where ever you want" No luck. This renders the data partition invisible.

2. Gnome power manager falsely displays that laptop running on battery power. Reinstall of Gnome PM corrected this but after reboot problem returns.

3. Software portal install of Realplayer 11 not good. Couldn't load it after install. Uninstalled and reinstalled with Synaptic. Still no go. Manual install from downloaded bin file with su permissions - no go. Install as user . Manual copy of Realplayer plugins necessary.

From a purely visual and ease of use viewpoint, how can I set up to have multiple desktops that I can switch by dragging the mouse pointer. Selecting no desktop effects allows the screen to be rotated thro 90 degrees. With Compiz this crashes X-windows but then it is aksking a lot of my Intel onboard video card!
oliverjames
Level 3
Level 3

Postby kassab on Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:41 am

I just installed it and love it!! you guys did a great job Thank You!! :D
kassab
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Bernie on Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:44 am

Thanks Clem & Co. for the final Mint Elyssa...

I am still having problems with adding and deleting users. There was no problem in 032, the problem arose in 048 and is still here in the final. I suggest you check to see what has been changed between 032 and 048 / final.

Boli suggested that I use the sudo adduser [name], as a temporary fix that worked, but how do I delete a user from terminal?

Also there seems to be a reluctance in the change desktop backgrounds. You need to click it several times for it to work, sometimes resulting in a graphics crash.

Regards
Bernie
Bernie
Level 1
Level 1

Postby eeezzzeee on Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:24 am

Like others have said, Congrats!
I just got it installed, and I must say I am nothing but impressed as usual. Everything worked right away, no tweaking required. Thanks again for all the hard work.
"If it's stupid and it works.... it's not stupid"
eeezzzeee
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to Releases & Announcements