Linux Mint 5 Elyssa officially released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa officially released!

Postby ilanesh on Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:59 am

I have downoadet and burned cd, but my wireless is not working on this new release.
I tried to configure but it will not work, so without wireless I can`t use it.
so I stay with linux mint daryna, this one works out of the box with wireless and everything.
my wireless is ipw3945, also I did not find an option to post on a nother place, so I post here.
thanks
ilanesh
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby bolimage on Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:22 am

Bernie wrote:Thanks Clem & Co. for the final Mint Elyssa...

I am still having problems with adding and deleting users. There was no problem in 032, the problem arose in 048 and is still here in the final. I suggest you check to see what has been changed between 032 and 048 / final.

Boli suggested that I use the sudo adduser [name], as a temporary fix that worked, but how do I delete a user from terminal?

Also there seems to be a reluctance in the change desktop backgrounds. You need to click it several times for it to work, sometimes resulting in a graphics crash.

Regards
Bernie

Try this : sudo deluser username

cheers

boli
bolimage
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa officially released--Miro

Postby antiquexray on Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:16 am

I have been very pleased thus far. Indeed, the only problem I have encountered is with respect to Miro. It's doesn't usually see videos on the hard drive, and when it does it doesn't display a thumbnail. Also, Miro freezes quite often, and when it does forced quit doesn't work.
Last edited by antiquexray on Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Lim-Dul on Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:16 am

1. As a former XP user I still have my data files and my Mozilla email folder stored in a fat32 partition.

You used FAT32 on WinXP? 0_o
War does not determine who is right - only who is left. - Bertrand Russell
Lim-Dul
Level 2
Level 2

Postby mike^ on Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:17 am

Good job everyone and thank you. Looks and runs great!

Mike
For an idea that does not at first seem insane, there is no hope - Albert Einstein
mike^
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Bernie on Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:42 am

bolimage wrote:
Bernie wrote:Thanks Clem & Co. for the final Mint Elyssa...

I am still having problems with adding and deleting users. There was no problem in 032, the problem arose in 048 and is still here in the final. I suggest you check to see what has been changed between 032 and 048 / final.

Boli suggested that I use the sudo adduser [name], as a temporary fix that worked, but how do I delete a user from terminal?

Also there seems to be a reluctance in the change desktop backgrounds. You need to click it several times for it to work, sometimes resulting in a graphics crash.

Regards
Bernie

Try this : sudo deluser username

cheers

boli

Thanks again Boli.

It worked like a charm...

Bernie
Bernie
Level 1
Level 1

Postby oliverjames on Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:55 am

Hi Lim-Dul,
Lim-Dul wrote:
1. As a former XP user I still have my data files and my Mozilla email folder stored in a fat32 partition.

You used FAT32 on WinXP? 0_o

Yes, Never switched to NTFS as reading and writing to it from Linux used to be problematic.

Oliverjames
oliverjames
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Lim-Dul on Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:32 am

Yes, Never switched to NTFS as reading and writing to it from Linux used to be problematic.

Ah - so you were dual-booting - understood. ^^
However, now it seems you have problems the other way round. :-D
Lim-Dul
Level 2
Level 2

Postby oliverjames on Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:44 am

Lim-Dul wrote:

Yes, Having always kept my Winware in a separate partition it seemed an obvious solution, another partition for Linux operating system and software, targeting the same central data partition.

Works really well except that this strange Elyssa setup requires that I manually mount the data partition before loading Thunderbird. Seems like a backward step!

Any ideas?
Last edited by oliverjames on Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
oliverjames
Level 3
Level 3

Postby AK Dave on Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:23 pm

Black screen of doom = X didn't load. Your problem is almost assuredly in your xorg.conf file being malconfigured by default.

When you boot a LiveCD, do you get a graphical desktop or the black screen? You should get a graphical desktop with default video and a standard screen resolution. Ie, a stock xorg.conf. Then the installer goes to work. Does it properly config the monitor, but not the card? Does it configure the card, but an unsupported screen resolution? Dunno.

You should be able to boot to the command line ("safe mode") and from the command line edit your xorg.conf. I'd love to see your xorg.conf. But what I think you need to do is to just manually install the restricted or proprietary drivers for your Nvidia from the commandline. This install should automagically edit your xorg.conf for the new drivers and you should be in business immediately.

Start a thread in support/hardware where you provide the xorg.conf from a Mint install where you have the "black screen of doom".
AK Dave
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Eric Weir on Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:24 pm

clem wrote:It is with great pleasure that I officially announce the release of Linux Mint 5 Elyssa.

I just installed RC2. Is it necessary to reinstall, or will the updating that took place after installation take care of that?

Thanks,
Eric Weir
Decatur, GA USA
Linux Mint 5
Eric Weir
Level 2
Level 2

Postby AK Dave on Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:41 pm

Eric Weir wrote:
clem wrote:It is with great pleasure that I officially announce the release of Linux Mint 5 Elyssa.

I just installed RC2. Is it necessary to reinstall, or will the updating that took place after installation take care of that?

wiki says clean install is preferred, but offers instructions on how to get an upgrade if you insist. YMMV, always, but it doesn't look like the upgrade eats babies.

Try visiting here:
http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_elyssa.php ... structions

Others on this forum, myself included, have reported outstanding success with upgrades from 048 to stable.
AK Dave
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Lim-Dul on Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:58 pm

Yeah, I was in the same situation as you and followed the release notes upgrade instructions. Everything worked like a charm.
Lim-Dul
Level 2
Level 2

Postby dick on Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:29 pm

Congratulations and thanks Clem & Co for this new release.

I made a clean install curious to see whether my "hardy" problems were still there (see quote).

Being a satisfied user of Daryna I recentely installed the Beta 048 version of Elyssa on a Acer Aspire laptop 1356 LMI.
After moderate testing I met the following problems:
1) X- System of live CD crashes because of wrong Xorg.conf. Bypass:: taking the old Xorg.conf from Daryna to Elyssa and restarting X (known problem in Hardy Heron too!). (My resolution: 1024x768).
2) Adding a new user is not really executed (as in Hardy Heron);
3) CUPS (IPP & LPD) network printing problems. Sending a print job to my Canon ip4500 printer connected to a Edimax print server, results in a printer who seems to start to printing but hangs shortly after this attempt ( Problem in Hardy Heron too ??). Both IPP & LPD network printing in Daryna (CUPS 1.3.2) works without any problems .
4) Wireless problem. After installing my Gigabyte wireless card (Atheros AR5211chip) with Ndiswrapper my network shows up but WPA2 connection is not possible. The NM applet keeps spinning (same problem met in Hardy Heron).
Using the MADwifi driver works (as in Daryna).

Unfortunately at least 3 of them are still there. Nr 4 , the wireless problem did n't have priority to test while I can use my wireless with a working MADwifi driver.

Nr 1 is still there but can be bypassed with the workaround (copying the old Xorg.conf from Daryna).
Nr 2 and 3 are really showstoppers for me so I googled a little bit around in Launchpad whether I could find workarounds for these problems and lucky me, I did.

Nr 2: adding new users not working. Link to the workaround: https://bugs.launchpad.net/gst/+bug/220697/comments/9 More information: https://bugs.launchpad.net/gst/+bug/220697

Nr 3: Network printing problems. Link to the workaound: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/213081/comments/17. More info: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/213081

Hope this helps others with the same problems,

grs, Dick
dick
Level 1
Level 1

Postby 67GTA on Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:31 pm

oliverjames wrote:
Lim-Dul wrote:

Yes, Having always kept my Winware in a separate partition it seemed an obvious solution, another partition for Linux operating system and software, targeting the same central data partition.

Works really well except that this strange Elyssa setup requires that I manually mount the data partition before loading Thunderbird. Seems like a backward step!

Any ideas?

Mount the partition. Look in /etc/mtab. There will be a temporary entry for your win partition. Run
Code: Select all
sudo gedit /etc/fstab
. Copy and paste the mtab entry for your win partition to the end of your /etc/fstab file, save, and reboot. It now should be mounted at each boot.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Eric Weir on Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:32 pm

AK Dave wrote:wiki says clean install is preferred, but offers instructions on how to get an upgrade if you insist. YMMV, always, but it doesn't look like the upgrade eats babies.

Having only just installed RC2, without any configuration, yet, a clean install seems simplest.

Thanks,
Eric Weir
Decatur, GA USA
Linux Mint 5
Eric Weir
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Lim-Dul on Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:25 pm

Code: Select all
Having only just installed RC2, without any configuration, yet, a clean install seems simplest.

I guess so... But the upgrade procedure basically involves commenting out unstable repos in sources.lst (if you had enabled them before) and running some apt commands - very similar to default upgrading procedures - in other distros without such awesome tools as MintUpdate with safety levels, that is.
Lim-Dul
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Rob Brill on Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:58 pm

I have installed Linux Mint 5 Gnome Main Edition ( fresh-clean install) final version.

86 + 13 + 7 - updates

Xu. Xu. Xu, Beleza!

I mean: Very, Very, Very Good Work!

Congrats Clem, Exploder and the team!

Roberto :D :D :D :D :D
Rob Brill
Level 4
Level 4

Postby kazuya_saotome on Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:15 pm

Hello!, Elyssa is :shock: wonderful
kazuya_saotome
Level 2
Level 2

Postby kanishka on Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:28 am

I'm impressed by Elyssa's snappiness... It's faster than my Kubuntu-64bit installation, more like the Debian-based Sidux! :shock:
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to Releases & Announcements