Linux Mint 15 "Olivia" RC released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
Trapper
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Linux Mint 15 "Olivia" RC released!

Post by Trapper »

I have onboard NVIDIA GeForce 6150 / nForce 430 and was not too surprised when I initially had video difficulties with LM15. If I tried to run thunderbird I would be presented with a black screen. If I launched firefox I was presented with a scrambled screen with diagonal lines that looked like an old crt type TV that had vertical hold problems. I didn't even get to testing other things. I immediately knew it involved the nouveau driver. The workaround for me was to install the nvidia 304 driver.

I was not surprised about this because I could install Ubuntu 12.04 but was unable to install Ubuntu Unity 12.10 or 13.04 without installing the nvidia drivers. It was even more complicated in Ubuntu because I got the diagonally lined screen rather than the desktop immediately when my session loaded in. I had to log in to the command line and manually install the nvidia driver and go through a couple of other hoops to get the gui working. I don't really use Unity or Ubuntu anymore because it's a fail as a PC desktop but I do like to see what's going on with each release.

I just thought I'd post this for anyone that's running into the same difficulty.
Last edited by Trapper on Sat May 18, 2013 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Az4x4
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Az4x4 »

Installed Linux Mint 15 RC MATE on a separate partition. Everything went well - up to a point.

First thing I encountered that I couldn't resolve was in trying to install Google Chrome. Downloaded the latest 64bit Google Chrome. However the install process hung saying that libudev0 was a required dependency that wasn't installed. Searched Google for a solution but none I found worked. Any suggestions other than running Chromium?

The second thing had to do with the custom "Applications - Places - System" menu setup I prefer. Being an old line Gnome2x user I always go back to that preferred menu option. In the past MATE has provided every option that menu is famous for, including the ability to right click it and choose from the dialog box that pops up the option to "Edit Menus," something I use rather extensively. However with MATE 1.6 the "Edit Menus" right click option is no longer available. Why? ..And how can I edit the menu without that option popping up?

Any help would be appreciated!
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

This is a fine release and quite stable for me on both my older Intel quad core desktop as well as my old ThinkPad R61 (all Intel chipset). Both are running LM 15/Cinnamon, amd64 for the desktop and i686(PAE) for the ThinkPad. One question though.

I know that the Medibuntu repository is included in the "/etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list" but it's not listed anywhere in "mintsources". The server is frequently off-line which prevents a complete refresh of the package cache when, say, opening "mintupdate". With the old "software-properties" app, you could go in and un-check the Medibuntu repo and proceed with a refresh and upgrade without it having to stall while waiting for Medibuntu to respond. Is there anyway that the Medibuntu repo could listed in "mintsources"? Otherwise I have to manually edit the ""/etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list" file to disable it.

Just wondering. :)
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
kd4dii

Post by kd4dii »

Hello
When I saw the rc I had to try it, I installed it on an available partition on my lap top and it worked well for the most part. I like the Mate version. The only problems I had were with synaptec. When I tried to uninstall some stuff, it would lock up. Install seemed to work ok as I intalled Mate netspeed with no problems.
Over all, I like Mint, I dumped Ubuntu when they started with the Gnome 3 and Unity stuff. Those would be ok on a tablet, but not too great on a lap top or desk top pc.

Bob
Adelante

Post by Adelante »

Install this first: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ud ... _amd64.deb

Then install Google Chrome. I downloaded and opened with GDebi. It worked smoothly for me.
Az4x4 wrote:First thing I encountered that I couldn't resolve was in trying to install Google Chrome. Downloaded the latest 64bit Google Chrome. However the install process hung saying that libudev0 was a required dependency that wasn't installed. Searched Google for a solution but none I found worked. Any suggestions other than running Chromium?
Az4x4
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Az4x4 »

Adelante wrote:Install this first: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ud ... _amd64.deb

Then install Google Chrome. I downloaded and opened with GDebi. It worked smoothly for me.
Thanks Adelante. I tried that already. Downloaded the file you mentioned and installed it. Chrome still wouldn't install. The exact same error message continued to pop up every time telling me that the dependency libudev0 was still missing. Others report the same thing, so it's not just me. For what it's worth open source Chromium installs just fine, which makes one think that Google Chrome should likewise install without a problem. ..It doesn't. Weird!!
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Az4x4 wrote:
Adelante wrote:Install this first: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ud ... _amd64.deb

Thanks Adelante. I tried that already. Downloaded the file you mentioned and installed it. Chrome still wouldn't install. The exact same error message continued to pop up every time telling me that the dependency libudev0 was still missing. Others report the same thing, so it's not just me. For what it's worth open source Chromium installs just fine, which makes one think that Google Chrome should likewise install without a problem. ..It doesn't. Weird!!
I downloaded and installed the needed package from here although it should be the same as the one you tried I think:

http://www.webupd8.org/2013/04/fix-goog ... ed-in.html

Either way, these individual packages allowed Google Chrome to install without a problem on both my desktop (LM15/amd64) and my older ThinkPad R61 (LM15/i686). I installed the "libudev0 for 64bit" package in my desktop installation and the "libudev0 for 32bit" package for the ThinkPad.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
caz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by caz »

I installed Mint 15 yesterday and everything seems to working fine. There was the odd glitch, one time the PC wouldn't shut-down but that hasn't reoccurred since and there is a second or so delay when I click on the menu button for the first time after start-up. Apart from those tiny points all is well, so a big thanks to the developers for the new version.
Some stuff I made using FOSS http://caz747.deviantart.com/
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

caz wrote:I installed Mint 15 yesterday and everything seems to working fine. There was the odd glitch, one time the PC wouldn't shut-down but that hasn't reoccurred since and there is a second or so delay when I click on the menu button for the first time after start-up. Apart from those tiny points all is well, so a big thanks to the developers for the new version.
Yup, same here although it occasionally occured with any version of Mint I've run as well as other distros. Timing is everything as they say. :D
Trapper
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Trapper »

caz wrote:I installed Mint 15 yesterday and everything seems to working fine. There was the odd glitch, one time the PC wouldn't shut-down but that hasn't reoccurred since and there is a second or so delay when I click on the menu button for the first time after start-up. Apart from those tiny points all is well, so a big thanks to the developers for the new version.
Yeah, I got the no shutdown problem too, on a one time basis and it really didn't act like it usually does with that infrequent shutdown situation I experienced with previous releases. I had my concerns but everything has been okay since.

I also have experienced the menu hesitations you speak of. Actually, I am also experiencing that with many app launches & when I use the menu editor, etc. Hesitation and slowness to react. It's like something is just not quite right, but I haven't been able to put a finger on it yet.
321BLAST OFF!
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux Mint 15 "Olivia" RC released! possible bug

Post by 321BLAST OFF! »

Congratulations on the wonderful work. I just had to try this out and I was quite impressed.

I may have found a small bug and the fix for it. Please note, I didn't install the official way, so this will need to be confirmed.

The potential bug relates to checking ntfs file systems. I am I couldn't figure it out with the gui so I tried on the command line. This is not standard output.

I believe this issue may be upstream as I think this happened when I was on vacation and tried to fix my laptop windows partition with a live ubuntu cd. I don't remember very well as I was more focused on the vacation and I was doing a lot of stuff.

sudo fsck /dev/sdd1
-This command fails where /dev/sdd1 is an ntfs partition. It says fsck.ntfs does not exist

I searched around the filesystem, the installed packages and the internet for what was going on, and came to the conclusion that ntfsprogs were installed but fsck did not have a symbolic link to ntfsfix and ntfsfix-3g in /sbin where all the rest of the fsck.* files are. So I created a symbolic link. I also installed some packages in my search which may or may not have helped, especially since ntfsprogs and ntfs-3g were already installed and up to date. (sudo aptitude install ntfs-config testdisk ntfsprogs ntfs-3g)

sudo ln -s /bin/ntfsfix /sbin/fsck.ntfs
sudo ln -s /bin/ntfsfix /sbin/fsck.ntfs-3

This allows fsck to be on ntfs file systems with correct permissions. Again thanks for the wounderful release. It was a pleasure to test it out!
tonywhelan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by tonywhelan »

Adelante wrote:Thanks, GeneC. You're always helpful. I will look into that.
GeneC wrote: From Blog

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2361#comments (comment #8)
add-apt-repository command seems to have been removed from terminal and will be missed by me,would be glad to have it back.Still it looks like you and your team have made a solid and wonderful job as always and it looks REALLY beautiful.LinuxMint is the best distro and i would say the best OS in the world !.Thank you for giving it to us & for listening to your users!

Edit by Clem: Thanks, add-apt-repository was added in mintsources 1.1.3, it’s available via updates.
Installing mintsources should do it.
I just upgraded mintsources from 1.1.2 to 1.1.4 but it still can't locate apt-get-repository .....
Linux Mint 21 Cinnamon household.
If your issue is solved, please edit your first post in the topic, adding [SOLVED] to the title.
ssvt

Post by ssvt »

New Mint user here and liking 15RC 64bit. installed quickly on a Dell latitude 5520 and so far haven't seen any problems. "Feels" very stable and fast. Thanks!
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

Where is Mate-netspeed :shock: :shock: :shock: Don't starting messing up things plz :oops: How come you remove the best applet on Mate :roll: I install Mate only for that applet. It is the only one that monitors mobile broadband :D Removing it is one big mistake. :(
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

@ Brahim: mate-netspeed is in Software Manager on 15 too.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

tonywhelan wrote: I just upgraded mintsources from 1.1.2 to 1.1.4 but it still can't locate apt-get-repository
Tony, the terminal command is "apt-add-repository" not "apt-get-repository".
Cypherhack

AW: Linux Mint 15 "Olivia" RC released!

Post by Cypherhack »

I am impressed of the way mint is developing, but there are way too much bugs in Olivia. I know it's a RC but still.

I don't know if it is connected to my desperate try of installing dropbox, but everytime I boot up the system and launch the installer my system does a shutdown or suspends himself. There are sometimes such strange sounds coming out of my notebook as it would explode the next second.
Nemo still doesn't have the option to view the extra pane on default(or I just didn't find it), which could be very useful...

And what I noticed immediately is that my wifi is slower than in lm14.
But it is a very nice system and I hope these bugs will be fixed in the final release...

==========
Linux Mint 15 (Cinnamon) , 64-bit
Tested on Acer Aspire 7740G
Intel Core i5 520M
8GB RAM
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650
Jessey Lawson
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Jessey Lawson »

I hate Mint 15 RC, I have seen to many bugs that I know they can't fix in two weeks. Ok first lets start with the Live DVD. It sucks. The boot screen takes longer then Mint 14's boot screen. confused, why Clem! Then you have the ugly installer. What happened to the icons, come on Clem we want our eye candy. Oh, by the way you can't upgrade anymore. Come on, it used to be that you can put in a dvd and just upgrade to the newest verson. Then you have the installer, the thing does not even fully work. I tried to duel boot with 14 and it crashed. I had to wipe out the hard drive. Why should we have to do that. Then you have that stupid dots on the botom of the installer. All they have to do is add the progress bar and it would look good. Then last is the presentation that you see doing the install. The problum here is that you can't loop through it like you could in 14, come on Clem! So next on to the actual functionalaty.

Ok, so I had to install 15 RC twice, TWICE WITH IN ONE DAY! First MInt 15 is tring to be better to new users then Ubuntu, that is not mints job ok. MOst of us like to customise our systoms, yet if you do it in Mint 15 you risk a crash. First you can't use applets, I tried adding multaple applets from the cinnamon site and after installing about 15 cinnamon crashed. I did not even activate them in the settings. You can't even downgrade to a solid verion of cinnamon. Next is the community site as nothing works. I tried to install sevral games, but the download process did not even start. Then you have the software center and that does not even work. You can't install programs, some don't want to even load up the information screen, and you can't even log in. Then you have the fact that you can't use old software, why because Mint 15 does not come with Gnome, WHAT THE rainbows, WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT CLEM, YOU KNOW MANY WOULD BE SWITHING FROM 12 AND 13 JUST TO FIND MOST OF THEIR SOFTWARE DOES NOT WORK, THIS IS NOT WINDOWS! Mint 15 also does not play with custom fonts or icons. If you install any diffrent ones you will get errors. Apps don't work, the menu disapears or I get an error message.confused Clem. Even Mint 14's RC was better then this. Then you have this stupid systom of themes get rid of it. We don't care get ride of /home/()/ .cinnamon.
Trapper
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Trapper »

Wow. Sounds to me like you either burned a corrupt installation dvd or you've got major hardware woes you need to find. Granted that LM 15 RC has some bugs, which is normal, but there's no way it's causing all the problems you are having.

Regarding LM 15 having no Gnome .... that's because it hasn't been available since LM 12. You can either install Cinnamon , an enhancement of Gnome 3, or MATE, which is an enhancement of Gnome 2. Of course, I suspect you already know that. Trying to use old parts on a new car isn't a good move. Grow with the product or continue using the old one.

Jessey Lawson wrote:I hate Mint 15 RC, I have seen to many bugs that I know they can't fix in two weeks. Ok first lets start with the Live DVD. It sucks. The boot screen takes longer then Mint 14's boot screen. confused, why Clem! Then you have the ugly installer. What happened to the icons, come on Clem we want our eye candy. Oh, by the way you can't upgrade anymore. Come on, it used to be that you can put in a dvd and just upgrade to the newest verson. Then you have the installer, the thing does not even fully work. I tried to duel boot with 14 and it crashed. I had to wipe out the hard drive. Why should we have to do that. Then you have that stupid dots on the botom of the installer. All they have to do is add the progress bar and it would look good. Then last is the presentation that you see doing the install. The problum here is that you can't loop through it like you could in 14, come on Clem! So next on to the actual functionalaty.

Ok, so I had to install 15 RC twice, TWICE WITH IN ONE DAY! First MInt 15 is tring to be better to new users then Ubuntu, that is not mints job ok. MOst of us like to customise our systoms, yet if you do it in Mint 15 you risk a crash. First you can't use applets, I tried adding multaple applets from the cinnamon site and after installing about 15 cinnamon crashed. I did not even activate them in the settings. You can't even downgrade to a solid verion of cinnamon. Next is the community site as nothing works. I tried to install sevral games, but the download process did not even start. Then you have the software center and that does not even work. You can't install programs, some don't want to even load up the information screen, and you can't even log in. Then you have the fact that you can't use old software, why because Mint 15 does not come with Gnome, WHAT THE rainbows, WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT CLEM, YOU KNOW MANY WOULD BE SWITHING FROM 12 AND 13 JUST TO FIND MOST OF THEIR SOFTWARE DOES NOT WORK, THIS IS NOT WINDOWS! Mint 15 also does not play with custom fonts or icons. If you install any diffrent ones you will get errors. Apps don't work, the menu disapears or I get an error message.confused Clem. Even Mint 14's RC was better then this. Then you have this stupid systom of themes get rid of it. We don't care get ride of /home/()/ .cinnamon.
blued
Level 1
Level 1

Post by blued »

Is it just me or is the Users and Groups applet missing from the control center? (Mate 32bit edition).

Return to “Releases & Announcements”