Linux Mint 15 "Olivia" RC released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 15 "Olivia" RC released!

Post by clem »

Adelante

Re: Linux Mint 15 "Olivia" RC released!

Post by Adelante »

Yay :D
El Zoido

Post by El Zoido »

Just installed Cinnamon 64bit.
Pretty nice so far, esp. MDM has some impressive possibilities now.

I've encountered a strange bug, however.
I can't install any "spices" whenever I try to open the windows for choosing applications/desklets/etc., I either get a blank window (when opened from the settings menu) or no window at all (when opened from the panel), only an entry in the task-switcher in the panel.

Interestingly it works when I try it in the live session from an USB drive, but not after install. I've tried reinstalling after deleting all config files in my home folder, didn't help.
izzo

Post by izzo »

How "advisible" is it to install the RC in lieu of the regular Olivia coming soon?
And given I do it, do I have to, and eventually how, to up from the RC to reg Olivia?
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

Thanks for the nice splash screen Clem. I think you should add a green background to it. We want a bright one not a dark one. I have just finished testing Mint 15 Mate 32bit on a Dell Inspiron i3 and it get stuck at the splash screen. No desktop. Testing it on an old PC gave me a desktop though but it froze at me after launching softaware manager. VLC missing and that’s a big mistake. Mind you this did not surprise me ’cause I have been running Ubuntu 13.04 for a while and it’s the worst OS ever out. I think we should wait for a while before releasing the stable version. And now I think it is time for Mint to think of building its own base. Enough is enough! Mint should stop cleaning the mess of Ubuntu and polishing it. Linux Mint is now the most stable, practical and elegant OS and it should have roots in its own soil not in an aubergine one. I have installed Mint in my school and youth house and people love it toO much and I think it has lots comIng for it. You could start a new rolling project and call it “Mintest” that you can work on in your spare time and test grounds with it and see how it goes. Risk management man. lool
DaftKai

Post by DaftKai »

izzo wrote:How "advisible" is it to install the RC in lieu of the regular Olivia coming soon?
And given I do it, do I have to, and eventually how, to up from the RC to reg Olivia?
Hi,

I'm brand new here and I have the exact same question as izzo. I have done a lot of reading up on Linux Mint and am quite impressed with all I've looked into.

I'd like to know when your team expects to have a full out of RC Olivia Linux Mint 15 available?

Also; will there be support for other Desktop Managers ( is it Desktop Manager or did I get that wrong? ) like XFCE or will it b Cinnamon and MATE only from version 15 going forward?
rimbaum

Post by rimbaum »

DaftKai wrote:
izzo wrote:How "advisible" is it to install the RC in lieu of the regular Olivia coming soon?
Hi,

I'm brand new here and I have the exact same question as izzo. I have done a lot of reading up on Linux Mint and am quite impressed with all I've looked into.

I'd like to know when your team expects to have a full out of RC Olivia Linux Mint 15 available?

Also; will there be support for other Desktop Managers ( is it Desktop Manager or did I get that wrong? ) like XFCE or will it b Cinnamon and MATE only from version 15 going forward?
If you install Olivia RC, simply doing normal updates will 'upgrade' you to the final release version. As for advisability, that depends entirely on if you're willing to deal with some of the bugs that might still crop up. IMO, these are reasonably stable, or else they wouldn't even be release candidates, but they're not the finalized versions just yet.

Other desktop environments, like Mint Xfce and Mint KDE, usually come out a bit later than the Cinnamon and MATE versions.
El Zoido

Post by El Zoido »

Ok, seems I'm out of luck with this RC.

Apart from the problems with the spices dialogues which I described earlier, I've twice now ran into another more serious issue.
After the third or forth reboot, Mint would not complete the boot process anymore, instead showing some text output (well, the messages created during boot you can afterwards display by dmesg) and hanging with some (to me) cryptic messages - I'm no total noob, but couldn't gain much info from it.
At first it says "Fixed recursive fault, but reboot is necessary", then it goes on for a while, eventually spamming
udev[517]: timeout:killing '/sbin/modprobe' -pv pci:...

What I did is just:
1. Do a fresh install of Mint 15 RC on a separate partition of my HD
2. After install, boot it up - everything seems nice, with the exception of desklets, applets, etc. not working
3. Install updates, install NVidia driver (I also played araound a bit with MDM, checking one of the animated skins)
4. Reboot, still works fine (except the spices of course)
5. Next reboot, it hangs (2nd time now, I reinstalled it after the first time it happened)

I tried recovery mode from the grub menu, but while the messages I get are slightly different, the issue is the same.

Edit:
Forgot some info:

I had Mint 14 installed before on the same system without issues.
I tried installing the 64bit RC for Mint 15 Cinnamon

My specs are:

Phenom II x4 965
NVidia GTX 460 1GB
8GB ram
1TB HDD

Dual boot Win7 and Linux Mint

Guess I will have to wait (and pray) for the final release, if no ideas come up...
DaftKai

Post by DaftKai »

rimbaum wrote:If you install Olivia RC, simply doing normal updates will 'upgrade' you to the final release version. As for advisability, that depends entirely on if you're willing to deal with some of the bugs that might still crop up. IMO, these are reasonably stable, or else they wouldn't even be release candidates, but they're not the finalized versions just yet.

Other desktop environments, like Mint Xfce and Mint KDE, usually come out a bit later than the Cinnamon and MATE versions.
Hey thanks! I'll give it a go with the Cinnamon Desktop Environment then upgrade later as they come available :)
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Olivia RC very nice Still having problems on the Dell laptop though get random Kernel panics - :( next time it happens will try to get a photo of the screen to post.
I thought perhaps Mint had done something different that ubuntu with the kernel at first because the machine worked all day yesterday after install without the kernel panic.
in Ubuntu 13.04 get the same thing in fact in any distro i've tried so far with the 3.8 kernel I get this it's quite annoying. as the older kernels work fine on this laptop.
(dell 1564) but 3.8 has done something that causes it to panic says its dumping me to a terminal but never gets there just locks up. I may try installing the 3.9 kernel to see if it will do the same. Just thought I'd mention this in case any of the Dev's have a suggestion.

Hoping to get it to work if not will stick with 14 as long as I can. but really like cinnamon 1.6 so far.

:)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
Adelante

Post by Adelante »

Everything is working great, except trying to install the Netflix PPA

Code: Select all

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ehoover/compholio
I get

sudo apt-add-repository: command not found
I don't remember seeing this happen before on Mint. Any suggestions on what to do? Thank you.
maikcrew
Level 1
Level 1

Post by maikcrew »

Look good but still bad choose custom background in Cinnamon or when I need choose another Icons to menu do not show preview. It is hard choose icon without picture :( ( https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Yafr ... 253A25.png )
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Adelante wrote:Everything is working great, except trying to install the Netflix PPA

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ehoover/compholio
I get

sudo apt-add-repository: command not found
I don't remember seeing this happen before on Mint. Any suggestions on what to do? Thank you.

From Blog

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2361#comments (comment #8)
add-apt-repository command seems to have been removed from terminal and will be missed by me,would be glad to have it back.Still it looks like you and your team have made a solid and wonderful job as always and it looks REALLY beautiful.LinuxMint is the best distro and i would say the best OS in the world !.Thank you for giving it to us & for listening to your users!

Edit by Clem: Thanks, add-apt-repository was added in mintsources 1.1.3, it’s available via updates.
Installing mintsources should do it.
Adelante

Post by Adelante »

Thanks, GeneC. You're always helpful. I will look into that.
GeneC wrote: From Blog

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2361#comments (comment #8)
add-apt-repository command seems to have been removed from terminal and will be missed by me,would be glad to have it back.Still it looks like you and your team have made a solid and wonderful job as always and it looks REALLY beautiful.LinuxMint is the best distro and i would say the best OS in the world !.Thank you for giving it to us & for listening to your users!

Edit by Clem: Thanks, add-apt-repository was added in mintsources 1.1.3, it’s available via updates.
Installing mintsources should do it.
Arek

Post by Arek »

I just upgraded from Linux Mint 14 MATE to Linux Mint 15 Cinnamon, and have a couple of minor problems to report:

First, when I first tried Mint 15, I did so via the LiveCD, which I installed to USB using unetbootin, without reserving space for saving changes (oops). First nouveau failed to enable hardware rendering, then attempting to install the proprietary nvidia driver also failed, resulting in Cinnamon going into Fallback mode. This didn't happen on my second try, so I'm chalking it up to not having a "casper-rw" file. One thing that's notable about Fallback Mode, tho: There is no option in there to logout/quit - you have to kill your X session to log out, or manually issue a reboot command to reboot (neither is particularly difficult, but I'm sure that's gonna bite some newbie in the butt sometime).

Second, on my second try everything worked and seemed to be running quickly enough on this old "calculator", so I decided to bite the bullet and go ahead and install over my old Mint 14 install. When I did, I re-used my old home folder and set up auto-login (like I usually do). When I rebooted into Mint, it tried to load my old MATE session and when it couldn't it informed me it was going to drop back to a default session, called "Gnome", which also doesn't exist, and proceeded to force a logout. I had to specify Cinnamon as my session and log in manually in order to log in.

TL;DR:
  • Cinnamon's Fallback mode has no logout/quit buttons, which makes it more difficult to logout/reboot/shutdown than it needs to be if something happens to cause you to be in Fallback mode. Solution: Add a logout/quit option somewhere in Fallback mode.
  • If you try to log into an invalid session, Cinnamon tries to fall back to the "Gnome" session, which is also invalid, then logs you out. Solution: Change it to fall back to "Cinnamon" instead.
Still trying out the new Mint. :)

--Arek
izzo

Post by izzo »

Tried the Live CD too, 64-bit MATE on a 64-bit Intel Core 2 quad CPU @ 2.66 GHz, 4 GB RAM.

Two boots, both fine, found my external USB wifi antenna which I really hoped for since I have had a lot of problems installing, and still have issues with it.

All in all seems good, however
1) changing the video driver to the recommended nvidia driver in the list gets stuck - both times I tried the Live CD
1) a few minutes after boot the mouse right click disappears from Deskop and menus become not clickable, and keyboard doesn't type anything - - both times I tried the Live CD
zaphyr

Post by zaphyr »

The new Software Sources keeps forgetting the mirrors I specify. After a reboot, it's back to the default servers...it does remember I ticked Backported Packages though...

EDIT, I don't even need to reboot...just close and reopen the Software Sources is enough
cyberalex4life

Post by cyberalex4life »

Hello, I now run Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon Edition - x64 on an Asus K55VD laptop (Intel Core i7-3610QM - Ivybridge, 8 Gigs of RAM, and NVIDIA 610m GPU).
I also tried these days Linux Mint 15 Olivia Cinnamon Edition which I find to be a huge step forward speaking of looks, but a huge step backwards regarding stability, at least on my laptop. Here are some bugs I encountered:
++ banshee does not work after installing most of the plugins, it starts, but it won't play anything
++ bumblebee does not autostart:
[ 7051.749418] [ERROR]The Bumblebee daemon has not been started yet or the socket path /var/run/bumblebee.socket was incorrect.
[ 7051.749463] [ERROR]Could not connect to bumblebee daemon - is it running?
I had to make an autorun script in init.d (with the command "service bumblebeed start"). I get this since the update from version 3.0, and 3.0 had no problem.
++ ZTE MF190 3G modem does not work unless I restart the laptop with it in a usb port (even in a USB hub). The option of making the connection appears only after the reboot, and the data partition with it's software appears only after the second reboot or if I run a Window 7 virtual machine. I didn't get this issue on the MSI CX623 laptop I used before with Linux Mint 13 an 14 and Ubuntu 12.04, and 12.10).
++ lot's of video glitches:
-- Expo and Scale mode don't work in fluid manner;
-- easystroke can't draw gesture on opened windows, and the icon does not
appear in the tray entirely after start up (only the left edge), but
after restarting Cinnamon from Troubleshoot menu of the panels this
"solves out" for the moment;
-- the Brightness buttons are reckognized finaly, but they result in
the flickering of the screen with very little value of brightness
level (almost can't see the difference).
++ can't connect to hidden wirelles network (the network menu closes when I attempt this in live mode and in full installation mode.
++ the wirelles LED still does not work (it's always closed but it lights up a little at the start of the laptop - so it's not dead).
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

This Linux Mint 15 rocks man :D It needs a green splash screen like this onehttp://kde-look.org/content/show.php/Ev ... ent=158359 with some tweaks and hey presto best OS on the planet :D Linux Mint official colour is green and not black or aubergine. We want our own identity here :D

Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

Where is mate-netspeed :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Return to “Releases & Announcements”