Post bugs in Elyssa here

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
Husse

Re: Post bugs in Elyssa here

Post by Husse »

You may be on to something
My USB pen drive is reported as
/dev/sdb1: SEC_TYPE="msdos" UUID="4826-F43C" TYPE="vfat"
Note the short UUID, just like you found Mike - but this is vfat no doubt about that
Edit //No it's FAT - I just checked in Vista and it should be FAT not vfat - my mistake // Husse
miket

Post by miket »

Hi Husse !
Husse wrote:You may be on to something
My USB pen drive is reported as
/dev/sdb1: SEC_TYPE="msdos" UUID="4826-F43C" TYPE="vfat"
Note the short UUID, just like you found Mike - but this is vfat no doubt about that
It would appear that Mint 5 reports VFAT regardless as to what file system is actually on the device :(

Can you feed this feedback back up the food chain please as I'd really like to get the UUID and Filesystem problems fixed :)

Thanks !

Mike.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Reported to Clem - but he's not around right now :)
He deserves some vacation :mrgreen:
miket

Post by miket »

Hi Husse !
Husse wrote:Reported to Clem - but he's not around right now :)
He deserves some vacation :mrgreen:
Thanks !

I wish I had the time for holidays :)

Mike.
Slowloris1

Post by Slowloris1 »

I am also having the system freeze up within the first minute of startup. Everything just locks up and only a cold boot will let me try again. Sometimes takes a couple of trys before I get a usable system. Trying my patience somewhat... anyone have any ideas about this - I've been reading other similar reports around this forum..
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Is this an upstream problem? Can it be reproduced under Ubuntu?

Clem
miket

Post by miket »

Hi Clem,
clem wrote:Is this an upstream problem? Can it be reproduced under Ubuntu?

Clem
I think you are referring to the problem I posted and not the one directly above your posting ?

The SD Card/USB Memory stick problem doesn't exist under Ubuntu running kernel 2.6.24-16 and 2.6.24-19.
Do you recompile the kernel for Mint ?

Mike.
Husse

Post by Husse »

The SD Card/USB Memory stick problem doesn't exist under Ubuntu running kernel 2.6.24-16 and 2.6.24-19.
It's (so far) the Ubuntu kernel without change - the changes are in the modules
I guess it's calculated in the terminal - bash - but of course the input comes from the kernel and SATA internal disks seems to be calculated correctly
This is not good considering the problems people have booting with removable disks
Thanks for reporting it Mike
miket

Post by miket »

Hi Husse !
Husse wrote:
It's (so far) the Ubuntu kernel without change - the changes are in the modules
I guess it's calculated in the terminal - bash - but of course the input comes from the kernel and SATA internal disks seems to be calculated correctly
This is not good considering the problems people have booting with removable disks
Thanks for reporting it Mike
This does cause problems when trying to boot from external devices .... but it's one of those things !
I'm sure Clem will get it fixed ...

I also have some problems with Network Bridging under Elyssa, but I just haven't had the time to prove it across other platforms to confirm
if it is a Mint problem or not .... as soon as I have the time I'll get back onto it and try and nail it down.

Mike.
who?

Post by who? »

hello folks , i have a problem concerning xp elyssa dual boot. Ran the live cd and resized my partition half and half . was looking forward to running elyssa . seems that the install went well . it told me to remove the live cd and reboot . the screen came up to choose operating systems , but i just let it do its thing. so it booted the linux mint generic or whatever the first option is and went to the loading screen . heres where nothing happens . i get the linux mint logo staring at me like the knight rider car . the load bar just bounces to and fro . is this a bad install ? do i have to re-install elyssa ? whatever the solution is , keep in mind i have no clue about working with linux . so whatever steps i need to take please hold my hand along the way . i have heard so much about linux mint and want to give it a fair shot . :lol:
Querier
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Querier »

Bug? Linux Mint Elyssa V5 Live CD, from file LinuxMint-5-r1.iso:

This Elyssa Live CD will load and install on an MSI mobo machine but not
a Gateway which easily runs the previous Darnya version of Linux Mint.
Md5Sum check of the ISO download is OK (downloaded twice, from the torrent
link on the Linux Mint website and again from secsup.org.) ISO was burned
3 separate times to CDRs on 2 different PCs at slow speeds, using both
Windows and an installed Linux Mint 4 Darnya.

Repeated Failed boots:
On an older updated Gateway AMD Athlon 1200 mHz/768 MB (which boots and
installs the previous Darnya Live CD OK) the Elyssa Live CD stops short:
it gets to the 1st splash screen which allows selecting automatic boot/
2 manual Start Linux Mint modes/memory test (ran it, passed OK), then it
displays "Loading Casper...", then "Ready", then "Loading...", then
the 2nd splash screen with the horizontally moving loading bar.
Shortly after this it stops accessing the CD drive altogether, then
after a long delay it displays a continuously scrolling text screen with
repeating lines:

"SQUASHFS ERROR: sb_bread failed reading block 0x58c6",
"Unable to read fragment cache block [1629407]",
"Unable to read page, block 1629407, size 87b9...".

This occurs no matter which of the 3 boot modes is selected.

Successful boots on a different machine:
On a more recent MSI AMD Athlon 2800/512 MB machine all 3 of my Elyssa
Live CDs boot up OK, during which the CD drive is accessed more or less
continually until the loading is complete (whereas the Gateway machine
quit accessing the CD drive soon after starting the loading process).

The Gateway machine has not given any problems and runs Windows plus
Linux Mint 4 Darnya and Knoppix Live CDs OK, so evidently there is a
variation in the Elyssa Live CD loader which does not work on certain
PC configurations. Unlike the Darnya Live CD, Elyssa does not have
a help file which suggests various boot options.

Solution?
Can you suggest changes to the boot prompt, or tests, or will future
ISOs fix this problem? Looking around the web indicates that quite
a few people have encountered similar problems.

Thanks for your efforts.
Universal

Post by Universal »

MagnusB wrote:Opening torrent files with Firefox in Transmission some times need several tries. Reproduce:
1. http://btjunkie.org/torrent/Belenix-Ope ... db35153e67 (Download torrent, select open with)
2. Repeat step 1 to actually open the torrent with Transmission
And yes, I selected that torrent cause it is legal :)
I think this may be a problem with that website itself (btjunkie) that I encountered in Windows also. It sends the torrent file as octet-stream instead of the correct mime type or something similar to that. Firefox will ask you every time what to do with the file even if you select "Always do this".
hotweiss wrote: -my headphone jack doesn't mute my speakers after I plug in my headphones (ALSA bug)

You need to enable the "Jack Sense" switches. Right click the volume icon on the panel and choose "Open Volume Control". Then go to Edit->Preferences and check the "Headphone Jack Sense" and "Line Jack Sense" (external speakers) boxes. Then go to the "Switches" tab and check them. Your headphones and external speakers should work properly then. I just started with Linux a couple months ago and have noticed these options are well hidden and not activated by default on almost every distro I've tried which makes no sense to me at all lol. I've seen posts on a lot of forums by people with the same problem, and some very elaborate (and very unecessary) fixes, then eventually figured the easy way out myself lol. An alternative is to open a Terminal window, and type alsamixer. Then cursor to the right to the "Headphone Jack Sense" item and press M to turn it on. Like I said, I'm relatively new to Linux and after trying many distros (Mint the best so far of course) it seems to me Linux audio is confusing and lacking. I'm not quite sure I even understand what the point of Pulse Audio is as it seems to be for playing sounds through the network on another computer which I can only imagine maybe 1% or less of all users having a need to do. Probably just my linux ignorance showing through though lol.
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Post by T J Tulley »

Don't know whether this counts as a bug - I've mentioned it before in another forum, but now that Felicia is nearly ready, perhaps it's worth mentioning again - does anyone take any notice?

Elyssa hibernates and recovers perfectly - but it always reports that it hasn't done so!

When I select /Elyssa/Quit/Hibernate, the screen rapidly clears, then a text screen says:
[log numbers] drm_sysfs_suspend
[log numbers] i8042 kbd 00:0a activation failed

Then the power and other lights used to close - but now that I am using the modified kernel line in menu.lst, to avoid BusyBox intervention, they stay on. I switch off power.

On resume, after BIOS boot the Grub menu appears - Enter, and the text screen proceeds and loads the image from the swap partition. If hibernate was not selected, no image is found and normal boot proceeds. It shows me logged in as user and invites my password. The desktop screen then appears as it was before hibernation, with a box over the system tray saying Elyssa failed to hibernate.
Yours hopefully -

Theo Tulley.
Using a PC with 2GB RAM, 3 hdds and a 1.7 GHz Celeron cpu.
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Post bugs in Elyssa here - addendum

Post by T J Tulley »

Now I've installed the script hibernate in this Elyssa - had done so in earlier installations.

Now, from the command ~$ sudo hibernate I still get the text screen report:
[log numbers] drm_sysfs_suspend
[log numbers] i8042 kbd 00:0a activation failed
and the lights still stay on, but on resume it no longer displays the box saying
Elyssa failed to hibernate.
Yours hopefully -

Theo Tulley.
Using a PC with 2GB RAM, 3 hdds and a 1.7 GHz Celeron cpu.
MatchStickMen

Post by MatchStickMen »

let me say Linux Mint is beautiful and works great, but I downloaded the updates and my sound quit working. The same thing happened when I downloaded the new Linux Mint 7 when it came out. So for now I will keep the system as is with no updates. I have a Lenovo Y 510 laptop. Thanks

Return to “Releases & Announcements”