Post bugs in Elyssa here

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.

Menu Bug

Postby EchoLynx on Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:47 pm

I am running the latest version of LM from the Live CD and have discovered a problem with the menu. As you may know, if you click the subtitles (System, etc) they 'minimize' to a bar on the leftmost part of the menu as an icon. On that bar is a blank button that when pressed hides the 'minimize' bar. When playing around with it, I got stuck because I minimized all the sub-menus and then minimized the sidebar- leaving me with nothing but a small column that doesn't do anything. To launch FF I had to use Alt+F2.

Check out the video: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 4302&hl=en

I don't know if this is a bug or not, but I want to give back to the community, and this is the best way I can do it.

-Ian
Saturday August 9th, 2008: Acquired Technician-class Amateur Radio License. Assigned call KB3ROH.
February (?) 2010: Acquired General-class Amateur Radio License.
EchoLynx
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Laptop Booting drive

Postby Arron on Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:47 am

I have had this with 2 laptops now, one HP and another Compaq.

On the Grub boot screen the default drive goes do /dev/hda1 to boot from. When it has this, the booting will hang for a long period of time on the boot screen with the green scroll bar going back and forth and eventualy go to a black screen and nothing more..

To fix this, I change the boot drive to be /dev/sda1 on the Grub menu, and it will boot. I then edited /boot/grub/menu.lst and changed it in there then run the grub-install, and it works.

Funny thing is after boot, it says / is mounted to /dev/hda1.... Odd but I could see this to be a problem for some people newer to Mint.

Arron
Arron
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Post bugs in Elyssa here

Postby rfpa on Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:32 pm

Hi!

I reported a problem that I had with Acrobat Reader on Elyssa regarding the use of a huge amount of RAM. Please check viewtopic.php?f=47&t=14971

Here is a possible turnaround. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=754944

Thanks. :)
rfpa
Level 2
Level 2

Postby jsblackmaro on Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:23 am

Im not sure if this is a bug, but Elyssa freezes up on me constantly. I can log in, and open firefox, and it will freeze. there are no error messages attached. This seems to be happening more and more now. The only devices I have plugged in are a USB keyboard, and a USB mouse. I also have a Linksys wireless card in it. Any ideas. I cant even use it now!!! I happened 7 times last night, and 3 times already this morning!!! HELP!!
jsblackmaro
Level 1
Level 1

Postby saltyp on Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:08 am

Install problem.
Posting from "live CD - Elyssa" and looks a treat.
My bug is hardware specific.
ASUS L5800C laptop. Currently dual boots XP Pro and Mint 4. Great piece of kit for onsite work, if a little old.
Been trying to upgrade to Mint 5. Live CD hangs installing hardware. In compat mode the last entry is
92.232003 b43legacy-phy0: Braodcom 4301 WLAN found

and thats the end of the show. Have downloaded the ISO twice from different mirrors and have booted from one of them on my home pc to post this. Is it worth trying the Light version? has the 92.232003 installed successfully and the problem is the next/pending resource?

during 4.0 install, the WLAN was recognized after install and the relevant NON OSS drivers were prompted and installed without drama. The Mint WLAN/Network manger is much more user friendly than the inbuilt ASUS and XP WLAN Connection managers. In fact its better than the OpenSuSE equivelent (my preferred distro) Would love to get this sorted. But I have Mint 4 setup nicely and love it. So no bleeding heart, poor me, pressure on this one. Just a heads up.
if it aint broken....dont let me near it
saltyp
Level 1
Level 1

Postby chowanec on Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:02 pm

jsblackmaro wrote:Im not sure if this is a bug, but Elyssa freezes up on me constantly. I can log in, and open firefox, and it will freeze. there are no error messages attached. This seems to be happening more and more now. The only devices I have plugged in are a USB keyboard, and a USB mouse. I also have a Linksys wireless card in it. Any ideas. I cant even use it now!!! I happened 7 times last night, and 3 times already this morning!!! HELP!!

I had this problem too -- turned out that my CPU was overheating. :P RMA'd it and it's all working great now.
chowanec
Level 3
Level 3

Postby darktears on Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:35 am

skydome and cubecaps fails to load image on reboot in elyssa

i m new to linux and is currently using mint elyssa.
i m using built in compiz and it is working all fine but i m facing one strange problem.
everytime i load a image on cubecaps top or bottom and on skydome, they work fine for tht particular session but when i reboot my system
they are all gone and all i see is a plane screen on cubecaps and gradient colours at skydome.
i have to go to "advanced desktop effects>cube caps" to load them again and they again work fine for tht session.

help me plz
darktears

Incorrect UUID reported by Elyssa blkid for SD devices?

Postby miket on Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:47 pm

Hi All,

Has any one else noticed that Elyssa reports incorrect UUID for SD cards ?

I have an 8GB SD card formatted EXT2 with Mint 5 installed on it.
Booting from Elyssa installed on the PCs internal hard drive reports the following:

blkid :

Code: Select all
/dev/sdb1: UUID="3734-6632" TYPE="vfat"

Booting Daryna installed on the PCs internal hard drive reports the following:

blkid:

Code: Select all
/dev/sdb1: UUID="4cda6c1a-821d-4cd2-8ec5-628cbc697b42" TYPE="ext2"

I've checked this using Debian Stable and it reports the same as Mint 4 Daryna.

Can anyone else comment on this problem please ?

Mike.
miket
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Husse on Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:32 pm

You may be on to something
My USB pen drive is reported as
/dev/sdb1: SEC_TYPE="msdos" UUID="4826-F43C" TYPE="vfat"

Note the short UUID, just like you found Mike - but this is vfat no doubt about that
Edit //No it's FAT - I just checked in Vista and it should be FAT not vfat - my mistake // Husse
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby miket on Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:53 pm

Hi Husse !

Husse wrote:You may be on to something
My USB pen drive is reported as
/dev/sdb1: SEC_TYPE="msdos" UUID="4826-F43C" TYPE="vfat"

Note the short UUID, just like you found Mike - but this is vfat no doubt about that

It would appear that Mint 5 reports VFAT regardless as to what file system is actually on the device :(

Can you feed this feedback back up the food chain please as I'd really like to get the UUID and Filesystem problems fixed :)

Thanks !

Mike.
miket
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Husse on Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:10 am

Reported to Clem - but he's not around right now :)
He deserves some vacation :mrgreen:
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby miket on Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:29 am

Hi Husse !

Husse wrote:Reported to Clem - but he's not around right now :)
He deserves some vacation :mrgreen:

Thanks !

I wish I had the time for holidays :)

Mike.
miket
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Slowloris1 on Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:05 pm

I am also having the system freeze up within the first minute of startup. Everything just locks up and only a cold boot will let me try again. Sometimes takes a couple of trys before I get a usable system. Trying my patience somewhat... anyone have any ideas about this - I've been reading other similar reports around this forum..
Slowloris1

Postby clem on Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:27 am

Is this an upstream problem? Can it be reproduced under Ubuntu?

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby miket on Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:13 pm

Hi Clem,

clem wrote:Is this an upstream problem? Can it be reproduced under Ubuntu?

Clem

I think you are referring to the problem I posted and not the one directly above your posting ?

The SD Card/USB Memory stick problem doesn't exist under Ubuntu running kernel 2.6.24-16 and 2.6.24-19.
Do you recompile the kernel for Mint ?

Mike.
miket
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Husse on Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:39 am

The SD Card/USB Memory stick problem doesn't exist under Ubuntu running kernel 2.6.24-16 and 2.6.24-19.

It's (so far) the Ubuntu kernel without change - the changes are in the modules
I guess it's calculated in the terminal - bash - but of course the input comes from the kernel and SATA internal disks seems to be calculated correctly
This is not good considering the problems people have booting with removable disks
Thanks for reporting it Mike
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby miket on Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:20 am

Hi Husse !

Husse wrote:

It's (so far) the Ubuntu kernel without change - the changes are in the modules
I guess it's calculated in the terminal - bash - but of course the input comes from the kernel and SATA internal disks seems to be calculated correctly
This is not good considering the problems people have booting with removable disks
Thanks for reporting it Mike

This does cause problems when trying to boot from external devices .... but it's one of those things !
I'm sure Clem will get it fixed ...

I also have some problems with Network Bridging under Elyssa, but I just haven't had the time to prove it across other platforms to confirm
if it is a Mint problem or not .... as soon as I have the time I'll get back onto it and try and nail it down.

Mike.
miket
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Husse on Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:30 am

Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby who? on Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:38 am

hello folks , i have a problem concerning xp elyssa dual boot. Ran the live cd and resized my partition half and half . was looking forward to running elyssa . seems that the install went well . it told me to remove the live cd and reboot . the screen came up to choose operating systems , but i just let it do its thing. so it booted the linux mint generic or whatever the first option is and went to the loading screen . heres where nothing happens . i get the linux mint logo staring at me like the knight rider car . the load bar just bounces to and fro . is this a bad install ? do i have to re-install elyssa ? whatever the solution is , keep in mind i have no clue about working with linux . so whatever steps i need to take please hold my hand along the way . i have heard so much about linux mint and want to give it a fair shot . :lol:
who?

Wifi Falure and Screen Brightness Issues

Postby bdunlap on Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:06 am

1. Installing without installing the root password causes wifi card to be undetectible, unusable.
- That is how I first installed Mint. As soon as I saw wifi was not detected like it was in the demo, I reinstalled, this time utilizing the root password system.
- That then gave me wifi access.

2. Logging out kills the brightness of my screen, I have to manually brighten it up after logging back in. If I use Function/Left-Right before logging in (at the logon prompt) the keyboard isn't recognized by the text box. 2 bugs in one. The brightness never stays the same after logout or reboot.

Linux brittany-laptop 2.6.24-16-generic #1 SMP Thu Apr 10 13:23:42 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux
Acer Aspire 7720 notebook
Mint 5 Elyssa Main Edition R1

Brittany Dunlap
bdunlap
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to Releases & Announcements