Linux Mint 5 Elyssa XFCE CE RC1 (BETA 025) is out!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
zaheermk
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa XFCE CE RC1 (BETA 025) is out!

Post by zaheermk »

An update on the bugs mentioned in my penultimate post.

1. I could not solve this. In fact this is a serious bug. The up arrow key doesn't work in my terminal and some other apps also. Due to this, I really miss the 'command history' feature in the terminal, since I have to type the commands manually all over again in the terminal every time I use the CLI. :(
2. This is still a bug. :roll:
3. This is not a bug, actually. The inclusion of Real Player in the $PATH variable & Multimedia sub-menu can be done by executing the file postinst.sh which was installed in the folder /opt/real/RealPlayer/postinst/. :)
zaheermk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zaheermk »

A workaround on the first bug mentioned in my ante penultimate post.

The up arrow key doesn't work in my terminal, so that I was not able to take commands from the history... not anymore. I just found out that there is a command called 'history' which lets you see the history and the serial no. of the command to be used can be prefixed with a '!' and specified to use it.

Code: Select all

# history
alternatively, if required, suffixed with more / less...

# history | more
# history | less
will result in, for example, say...

# 1 ls
# 2 pwd
# 3 emacs
# 4 nano
# 5 mc
and entering...

# !3
would execute the command 'emacs', again.
For some more of such commands, do visit http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2008/08/15- ... ne-history
Should actually thank the Mint developers for this bug. :wink:
But I certainly wouldn't want this bug (or any bugs, for that matter) in the final edition. :)
Last edited by zaheermk on Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack H.

Post by Jack H. »

Hi, looks like a nice release.
I'm looking for a distribution that has Compiz DISABLED by default. My card won't handle it. 8.04 Hardy crashes and reverts back to the log-in screen every time. Feisty is OK so reinstalled it. The Compiz check script gives a hardware warning. My ATI card must be blacklisted or something. So... is Compiz turned off or on in this version?
Thanks! - Jack
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Jack H. wrote:Hi, looks like a nice release.
I'm looking for a distribution that has Compiz DISABLED by default. My card won't handle it. 8.04 Hardy crashes and reverts back to the log-in screen every time. Feisty is OK so reinstalled it. The Compiz check script gives a hardware warning. My ATI card must be blacklisted or something. So... is Compiz turned off or on in this version?
Thanks! - Jack
It's disabled by default and minDesktop is the way you enable it.
I'm sure you could edit the config file in hardy so it doesn't autostart compiz.
Jack H.

Post by Jack H. »

^ ^ Thank you!
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

mentex wrote:Well, I'm not the only one waiting for this question still without an answer:

"Will it be necessary to download the new iso or it just requires an update of the current beta 025?"

T.I.A.
Mentex
You should be able to update to the final without any problems.
I will see if I can get the latest packages to clem to add to the repo.
rfpa

Post by rfpa »

merlwiz79 wrote:
mentex wrote:Well, I'm not the only one waiting for this question still without an answer:

"Will it be necessary to download the new iso or it just requires an update of the current beta 025?"

T.I.A.
Mentex
Thanks ;)
zaheermk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zaheermk »

rfpa wrote:
merlwiz79 wrote:

T.I.A.
Mentex
Thanks ;)
Thanks to you and to the other Mint XFCE developers for this feature. 8)

Now, about the 'serious' bug, which I mentioned in one of my previous posts (I am actually feeling silly here :oops: ), about the up arrow key not working... it was my own mistake. :!:

I'd accidentally used the up arrow (instead of Ctrl + up arrow) key for one of my keyboard shortcuts and that was why it was not being able to be used for its normal function. I have 'solved' it now... I mean I've corrected my mistake now. However, in the process, I learnt a few more CLI commands. I had in fact thanked the Mint developers for this 'bug'. Now I think I should thank myself also for making this mistake. :wink:
Sven

Post by Sven »

Mint + Xfce = One hell of a beautiful elegant rocket.

Superb, take us to the moon Linux. =)

Post by Guest »

Hi,

I was wondering if I test the RC1 release will I have to do another iso download for the final release or a simple mint update/synaptic update will do?
thanks!

Eric
Bali

Post by Bali »

Guest wrote:Hi,

I was wondering if I test the RC1 release will I have to do another iso download for the final release or a simple mint update/synaptic update will do?
thanks!

Eric
Hi,

Read above: someone already asked and got an answer...
Bali

Post by Bali »

Hi,

Because I am very impatient to use the final version (as many others), just a question: is there still some bugs this postpone the final version?

Any ideas about the release date?

Thank you

Bali.
Insane1 (not logged in)

Post by Insane1 (not logged in) »

Bali wrote:Hi,

Because I am very impatient to use the final version (as many others), just a question: is there still some bugs this postpone the final version?

Thank you

Bali.
Apparently theres a login/logout bug that's still being dealt with, last I heard. I'm guessing the release date is still in the air.
big_dog1968

Post by big_dog1968 »

Insane1 (not logged in) wrote:
Bali wrote:Hi,

Thank you

Bali.
Apparently theres a login/logout bug that's still being dealt with, last I heard. I'm guessing the release date is still in the air.
Could Merlwiz, or Clem or one of the other main players respond to the above question. Also for KDE as well. We all assume that it will be released when it's ready, but when do we think it will be ready? That's the $64,000 question. On a side note I do have a little bit of urgency because the doctor shocked me by telling me that I am dying and I would like to see the final versions before I go. The Doctor estimates I have just 40 years to live, and I sarting to worry I might not live to see XFCE or KDE versions. :lol: :wink:

Also, separate question: Will there be a time in the future when you can install main edition and then add the other versions through the repo's? That would save disk space and time for those that want to try out the different DE's, without a separate install for each.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

I have fixed all known bugs, that aren't upstream bugs, accept the gdm login issue.
I can't really say when it will be done.
I am still looking into what could be causing it from what I have changed.
big_dog1968 wrote:Also, separate question: Will there be a time in the future when you can install main edition and then add the other versions through the repo's? That would save disk space and time for those that want to try out the different DE's, without a separate install for each.
In this release I made a package called xfcemint-desktop.
It should install all of the main packages needed to make it close to the XFCE CE.
I it won't have everything I changed but it will give you most of the defaults in XFCE CE.
big_dog1968

Post by big_dog1968 »

merlwiz79 wrote:I have fixed all known bugs, that aren't upstream bugs, accept the gdm login issue.
I can't really say when it will be done.
I am still looking into what could be causing it from what I have changed.
big_dog1968 wrote:Also, separate question: Will there be a time in the future when you can install main edition and then add the other versions through the repo's? That would save disk space and time for those that want to try out the different DE's, without a separate install for each.
In this release I made a package called xfcemint-desktop.
It should install all of the main packages needed to make it close to the XFCE CE.
I it won't have everything I changed but it will give you most of the defaults in XFCE CE.
That is great about the ability to install it as packages on top of Main. Is that available through the software portal? Also, what would be missing?

Thanks for the update. Hope you didn't mind my little "doctor says I'm dying" joke. :wink:
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

big_dog1968 wrote:That is great about the ability to install it as packages on top of Main. Is that available through the software portal? Also, what would be missing?

Thanks for the update. Hope you didn't mind my little "doctor says I'm dying" joke. :wink:
I don't know everything that would be missing.
I know the custom compiz settings would be missing.
I would have to test it to be sure.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Update to the final

Post by merlwiz79 »

OK this bug is starting to get to me, so I will give you the procedure to update to the final.
Update packages:

apt install firefox xulrunner-1.9 language-pack-en language-pack-gnome-en mozilla-thunderbird thunderbird libvlc0 vlc vlc-nox
Download my updates and extract.
Open the updates folder with all the .deb files.
Now right click Open Terminal Here and run

sudo dpkg -i xfcemint-doc_0.5-1_all.deb

sudo dpkg -i *.deb
Make sure to say Y to everything.

apt install -f
Shouldn't remove anything.

Getting new XFCE Menu::
In Thunar Show Hidden files (Ctrl + H)
Delete all menu-cache* files in ~/.cache/xfce4/desktop/
Delete any menu.xml* files in ~/.config/xfce4/desktop/

Getting custom actions updates::
Delete all files in ~/.config/Thunar/

Update wicd:
apt remove --purge wicd-autostart-plugin
Download and install the stable version here.

Fix compiz Focus Prevention Level:
Open Advanced Desktop Effects Settings --> General --> Focus & Raise Behavior
Change Focus Prevention Level to Off

Fix the default Exaile theme:
Open XFCE 4 mintDesktop
Restore Exaile artwork.

I will still be working on the final iso but am not sure when it will be released.
Last edited by merlwiz79 on Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Insane1 (not logged in)

Re: Update to the final

Post by Insane1 (not logged in) »

merlwiz79 wrote:OK this bug is starting to get to me, so I will give you the procedure to update to the final.
Update packages:

apt install firefox xulrunner-1.9 language-pack-en language-pack-gnome-en mozilla-thunderbird thunderbird libvlc0 vlc vlc-nox
Download my updates and extract.
Open the updates folder with all the .deb files.
Now right click Open Terminal Here and run

sudo dpkg -i *.deb
Make sure to say Y to everything.

apt install -f
Shouldn't remove anything.

Getting new XFCE Menu::
In Thunar Show Hidden files (Ctrl + H)
Delete all menu-cache* files in ~/.cache/xfce4/desktop/
Delete any menu.xml* files in ~/.config/xfce4/desktop/

Getting custom actions updates::
Delete all files in ~/.config/Thunar/

Update wicd:
apt remove --purge wicd-autostart-plugin
Download and install the stable version here.

Fix compiz Focus Prevention Level:
Open Advanced Desktop Effects Settings --> General --> Focus & Raise Behavior
Change Focus Prevention Level to Off

Fix the default Exaile theme:
Open XFCE 4 mintDesktop
Restore Exaile artwork.

I will still be working on the final iso but am not sure when it will be released.
I'm glad you're still working on the final iso, however when I tried to do the update procedure, I ran into a problem. After running

sudo dpkg -i *.deb
in the folder with the updates, my terminal ends with:
Setting up xfcemint-default-settings (0.6-2) ...
rm: cannot remove `/usr/share/applications/mplayer-playlist.desktop': No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing xfcemint-default-settings (--install):
subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of xfcemint-desktop:
xfcemint-desktop depends on xfcemint-default-settings; however:
Package xfcemint-default-settings is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing xfcemint-desktop (--install):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Setting up xfcemint-doc (0.5-1) ...
Setting up mintconfig-xfce (0.6-1) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
xfcemint-default-settings
xfcemint-desktop
Was this supposed to happen, or is it an unforeseen problem...?
Insane1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Insane1 »

Sorry for not being logged in by the way (Won't do that again). More information is it was a fresh install of Linux Mint Xfce 5 Beta025. Nothing was changed (although I had firefox open to browse the web and find the update instructions). The partition setup had /, /home, and /swap. I tried the update instructions again after letting mint update update the system, but no luck, the same two packages failed.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”