Linux Mint 5 Elyssa XFCE CE RC1 (BETA 025) is out!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa XFCE CE RC1 (BETA 025) is out!

Post by kenetics »

Nice work, Merlwiz! :D

I do have some additional problems/annoyances:
Mplayer won't play Shoutcast streams (plug-in needed?).
Can't get single mouse-click to work with desktop items, only files (may be a Xfce thing).
Can't get rid of that annoying Orage Calender configurator at startup.

Ken
Using Mint as primary OS since 2006.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

kenetics wrote:Nice work, Merlwiz! :D

I do have some additional problems/annoyances:
Can't get single mouse-click to work with desktop items, only files (may be a Xfce thing).
Can't get rid of that annoying Orage Calender configurator at startup.

Ken
Mplayer needs to open the file as a playlist. Open with:

Code: Select all

gmplayer -playlist %F
Post the link to the one causing the problems.
Also Exaile has a Shoutcast plugin.

It must be but I always use double click.

If you use Save Session for future logins make sure you exit the app before restarting.
Last edited by merlwiz79 on Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:53 am, edited 5 times in total.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I got Shoutcast to play by selecting VLC to play the files. The path is /usr/bin/vlc

Hope this helps.
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

exploder wrote:
I got Shoutcast to play by selecting VLC to play the files. The path is /usr/bin/vlc

Hope this helps.
Thanks. Couldn't get mplayer to work with shoutcast but did VLC. The sound seems somewhat distorted though.

Finally got rid of Orage popup by doing a killall orage command in the terminal. It's a bug that has been reported.

Ken
Using Mint as primary OS since 2006.
dethknight

Post by dethknight »

brooker wrote:Download and install were flawless. Great work guys. One happy XFCE camper :P

Install = Epic *FAIL* here

checksum & burn were fine, but install drops to "busybox" prompt

fail fail
MadOp

Post by MadOp »

Hi all,
May I ask a couple of questions?
How much hard disk does it take when installed?
Does the liveCD require lots of ram in order to boot (and eventually install) as Xubuntu did back when I tested it?

Thanks in advance.
MadOp
big_dog1968

Post by big_dog1968 »

dethknight wrote:
brooker wrote:Download and install were flawless. Great work guys. One happy XFCE camper :P

Install = Epic *FAIL* here

checksum & burn were fine, but install drops to "busybox" prompt

fail fail
I had that happen before. I added the options all-generic-ide irqpoll=on and it worked fine after that.
Hvyhorse

Post by Hvyhorse »

I installed the new release and ran into a couple of problems. My video card choked (Nvidia 8600 GF and my NTFS) and FAT32 partitions did not mount. Aside from that its is a real nice release. In closing I would like to thank everyone who is working on the project, I appreciate their efforts.
phil
Level 3
Level 3

Post by phil »

Installation went fine. So far have only found two problems. Partitions do not mount, and Flash does not install on Firefox 3.0. Flash install gets to the point of asking for path to mozilla and then starts the screen image jumping and I have to exit the install script with ctrlC.

System is Sempron 3000 with 2 g memory. Elyssa Main edition is installed on the same computer and does not have either of my complaints.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

phil, flash should work by default. Have you tried flash 10.2 in the remeo repo?
Insane1 (not Logged In)

Post by Insane1 (not Logged In) »

I know this probably won't be considered a big bug, but I have been unable to get esound, which is installed by default, to run properly with Second Life. I was able to do so in Linux Mint Daryna XFCE by reinstalling esound. Without esound working, SecondLife audio stutters horribly and interferes with other audio playing programs.
Insane1 (not Logged in)

Post by Insane1 (not Logged in) »

Insane1 (not Logged In) wrote:I know this probably won't be considered a big bug, but I have been unable to get esound, which is installed by default, to run properly with Second Life. I was able to do so in Linux Mint Daryna XFCE by reinstalling esound. Without esound working, SecondLife audio stutters horribly and interferes with other audio playing programs.
OH! I'm sorry I neglected to mention this, but the stuttering is because SecondLife falls back to alsa if esound doesn't work/isn't installed. (as you can tell, SecondLife doesn't seem to Like ALSA)
get2gether2008

Post by get2gether2008 »

Beautiful, just beautiful! Installed to hdd very sweetly, all appears to work straight out of the box, the only thing i noticed was definate delay when opening some folders in the file system (2-3 seconds) and no auto-mount of my other partitions.

Overall im very impressed, i just love Xfce, its so easy to navigate. Great job team, and thanks!
neo67
Level 2
Level 2

Post by neo67 »

Hello,

I miss the automount of a music CD. The system does nothing, when I put in a music CD...
Running Linux Mint 6 KDE CE on an acer TravelMate C200
LinuxMintUsers.De
oliverjames
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oliverjames »

Excellent news. Couple of questions:

1. Can I upgrade my existing installation? If so which repositories should I point Synaptic at?

2. If I must do a clean install can I keep my existing Dyryna XFCE /home partition.

Oliverjames
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

neo67 wrote:Hello,

I miss the automount of a music CD. The system does nothing, when I put in a music CD...
You need to make sure that you put the music cd in the 1st cdrom not the second.
Then open Removable Drives and Media to make sure it's set correctly.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

get2gether2008 wrote:Beautiful, just beautiful! Installed to hdd very sweetly, all appears to work straight out of the box, the only thing i noticed was definate delay when opening some folders in the file system (2-3 seconds) and no auto-mount of my other partitions.
I have a delay but I'm using a usb hard drive to test installs.
The automount is gone from xubuntu as well and I think it's a stupid thing to do.
I thought the automount was just a problem with usb installs but it was changed for both.
I believe you have to do manually partition when installing and make sure to use the other partitions without formatting, to get it to work right.

One way is to open Partition editor with a root thunar open, to get them to mount.
Then use the entries in /etc/mtab for /etc/fstab
Husse

Post by Husse »

I'm sorry to say but I got an almost show stopper failure.
Just as grub is to be installed the installer fails quietly (94%)
This is a bug (that I reported) in Ubiquity with complex partition structures.
If you follow the guided version of partitioning there's failure, but manual does not fail in the main edition
Just as I write this I realize that I tried to install - manually - using the entire sda10 which is the partition suggested by the guided tool
Oh well - I'll have to destroy sda8 where the previous xfce resides
Guess what - that worked!
It seems that it fails not only if I use the guided version (as in main - wanted to test it) but also if you try the partition suggested by the guided tool (which was not used for the main either, after a couple of attempts... the guided tool changed opinion :))
Husse

Post by Husse »

Welcome to Mint titto
You may have to install proper drivers - let EnvyNG have a go at it
mickel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mickel »

I am a Mint KDE user but I also like to try new things. I tried the Gnome Elyssa three different times but had problems of puzzle like pieces coming off the screen image where I clicked the screen. I didn't know how to fix it so I went back to Daryna KDE.
I installed this one and have been working on it for a couple of days now and boy is it a winner! So far everything works great right out out of the box. I can see why XFCE people like it, its fast, clean and smooth. Since I am old and dumb and don't know how to do terminals I like my Linux to be smart and sophisticated yet easy. Now one of the best things about all
Mint flavors and editions is that when you install it on one of your partitions it doesn't erase your boot log so you can't find your other distros. This is a big deal when you don't know how to fix it yourself and besides , my hard drive is approaching the maximum number of formats. Thanks for another great one!

Return to “Releases & Announcements”