Linux Mint 5 Elyssa KDE CE RC1 (BETA 045) is out!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa KDE CE RC1 (BETA 045) is out!

Postby AstroBoy on Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:58 pm

Which Mint version(s) are based on Ubuntu 8.04?
AstroBoy
 

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa KDE CE RC1 (BETA 045) is out!

Postby NiksaVel on Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:18 am

the entire mint 5 line, or Elyssa...
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem
User avatar
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 806
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:06 am
Location: Croatia

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa KDE CE RC1 (BETA 045) is out!

Postby arjay on Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:49 am

AK Dave wrote:Sounds like a hardware failure, coincidental to installing Mint. Perhaps triggered by Ubiquity. But not necessarily caused by Ubiquity.

AK Dave - I am sure you are right that ubiquity often crashes because of hardware problems, but I don't think so in this case. See below.

Another thing, arjay. You're not very helpful in providing specific pointers to exactly what you're referring to when you claim this problem is discussed in other threads.


If you search in this forum under Installation and Boot for kde crash in the last couple of days, you will see how I fixed the problem of my "disappeared hard disk". Sorry I can't post the actual link. It keeps sending me to the wrong post.

Anyway - after I had found and used a bootable linux rescue disk I found on the internet, I was able to open the HDD and replace the menu.lst which had been fouled up by ubiquity/Partition Manager. From then on it was easy. I re-installed elyssa gnome and nearly everything was OK. Now I have removed elyssa and installed Debian Etch KDE. I prefer kde to gnome which is why I was trying the elyssa kde beta. No way I am doing that again :|

So you can see that all the hardware on the PC is running fine under other distros. I appreciate that Mint is dependent on applications provided by others but in the case of the combination of the Installer and the Partition Manager, I still think there is a big problem. I will be staying away from Kubuntu and its derivatives for a long time - believe me. There are so many distros to choose from out there that I don't feel the need to try this one again.
arjay
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 200
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:34 am

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa KDE CE RC1 (BETA 045) is out!

Postby locutus on Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:53 pm

[rewritten to give more info]

What is the purpose of the Menu -> System -> Hardware Drivers app? EnvyNG and "nVidia X Server Settings" report that drivers 173.14.12 are installed and in use, and all Compiz 3D effects seem to work fine, yet the Hardware Drivers app reports that the proprietary drivers are NOT in use and therefore 3D effects will not be available.

So I checked the check-box to enable them, rebooted, and the booting process halted before the graphical login screen appeared. startx and startkde reported that no nVidia drivers were installed, but I could eventually login in text mode. I re-installed nVidia drivers using EnvyNG in text mode, rebooted and everything was fine again and I was right back to where I started: everything 3D works but the Hardware Drivers app again says the opposite.

That needs to be fixed or eliminated before going Final. It's confusing, and anybody that tries it but doesn't know how to run EnvyNG in text mode will be left with a trashed system and thinking they must re-install from scratch.
User avatar
locutus
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 406
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:54 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa KDE CE RC1 (BETA 045) is out!

Postby nickembleton on Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:37 pm

Hi all, could someone kindly help me i cant seem to be able to get the installer running, i boot it as a live dvd all comes up ok once loaded i click on install which comes up fine i get to the time and date section where i select london then go to next then i select the keyboard layout from which i select united kingdom then i get an error saying syslog something so i press ignore and go on to the next section where it asks for your desired username and pass etc which i type in and press next another error comes up with syslog and partman in the dialog once again it says ignore or quit so i press ignore then it takes me back to the time and date selection option again, help would be hugely appreciated,
Thanks,
Nicholas.
nickembleton
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:51 am

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa KDE CE RC1 (BETA 045) is out!

Postby AK Dave on Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:21 pm

Comparing problem reports between the two CE release candidates, it appears that the KDE version is the more problematic vis Ubiquity. Both use Ubiquity, right? Both should be using the same version. I doubt the KDE ISO is bad, but could Ubiquity be more problematic with a DVD install than with a CD? Could the underlying problem be more related to burning DVDs being more iffy than burning CDs?
User avatar
AK Dave
Level 6
Level 6
 
Posts: 1042
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 3:39 pm
Location: Anchorage, AK USA

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa KDE CE RC1 (BETA 045) is out!

Postby locutus on Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:27 pm

nickembleton wrote:Hi all, could someone kindly help me i cant seem to be able to get the installer running, i boot it as a live dvd all comes up ok once loaded i click on install which comes up fine i get to the time and date section where i select london then go to next then i select the keyboard layout from which i select united kingdom then i get an error saying syslog something so i press ignore and go on to the next section where it asks for your desired username and pass etc which i type in and press next another error comes up with syslog and partman in the dialog once again it says ignore or quit so i press ignore then it takes me back to the time and date selection option again, help would be hugely appreciated,
Thanks,
Nicholas.

I remember reading something similar. Try installing using default values, then change your keyboard in the Control Panel after installation has finished and you've booted into the finished product.
User avatar
locutus
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 406
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:54 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa KDE CE RC1 (BETA 045) is out!

Postby nickembleton on Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:53 pm

locutus wrote:
nickembleton wrote:Hi all, could someone kindly help me i cant seem to be able to get the installer running, i boot it as a live dvd all comes up ok once loaded i click on install which comes up fine i get to the time and date section where i select london then go to next then i select the keyboard layout from which i select united kingdom then i get an error saying syslog something so i press ignore and go on to the next section where it asks for your desired username and pass etc which i type in and press next another error comes up with syslog and partman in the dialog once again it says ignore or quit so i press ignore then it takes me back to the time and date selection option again, help would be hugely appreciated,
Thanks,
Nicholas.

I remember reading something similar. Try installing using default values, then change your keyboard in the Control Panel after installation has finished and you've booted into the finished product.


Thanks for reply, how do i install via default values? the keyboard problem happens when i am going through the installation selecting keyboard and then the error pops up.
Thanks,
Nicholas.
nickembleton
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:51 am

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa KDE CE RC1 (BETA 045) is out!

Postby locutus on Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:52 pm

Just don't select the U.K. keyboard. Leave it as American until the install finishes and change it after.

I can't promise this will work. I just remember reading somewhere in these forums of something similar, and this was the way around it, to fix it later. I hope it works for you.
User avatar
locutus
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 406
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:54 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa KDE CE RC1 (BETA 045) is out!

Postby nickembleton on Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:12 pm

locutus wrote:Just don't select the U.K. keyboard. Leave it as American until the install finishes and change it after.

I can't promise this will work. I just remember reading somewhere in these forums of something similar, and this was the way around it, to fix it later. I hope it works for you.


Tried it did not work this is what it looks like in order:
http://www.hotlinkfiles.com/files/17036 ... rchive.zip

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Nick.
nickembleton
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:51 am

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa KDE CE RC1 (BETA 045) is out!

Postby locutus on Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:45 pm

What are you writing this from? You obviously have an internet connection of some other distro, or Windows. I ask to see if you any other tools to partition a disk.

A while back I thought my HD was failing so I went out and bought a brand new 500Gb drive. I partitioned it in advance to have room for 4 different distros (each with separate /root and /home partitions), plus 2 10 Gb partitions to do quick, informal tests, and finally a LOT of left over space to hold pictures, videos, documents, etc that were not distro-dependant. Any distro could mount and view its contents.

So when it came to installing M5-KDE, I just put it on a pre-existing 10Gb partition., using the "Manual" install option instead of the "Guided" options, and I had no trouble at all.

So I'm asing if you are in another Linux distro that you can use Gparted to set up the partition first. You can also download and burn Parted Magic which is a Live-CD that you can use to make the partitions first. If you're in Windows, Partition Magic would also work.

Keep trying! It's a pain doing all this stuff first, but the end result is worth it! And if all else fails, wait until M5-KDE Final is released....
User avatar
locutus
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 406
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:54 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa KDE CE RC1 (BETA 045) is out!

Postby nickembleton on Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:25 pm

locutus wrote:What are you writing this from? You obviously have an internet connection of some other distro, or Windows. I ask to see if you any other tools to partition a disk.

A while back I thought my HD was failing so I went out and bought a brand new 500Gb drive. I partitioned it in advance to have room for 4 different distros (each with separate /root and /home partitions), plus 2 10 Gb partitions to do quick, informal tests, and finally a LOT of left over space to hold pictures, videos, documents, etc that were not distro-dependant. Any distro could mount and view its contents.

So when it came to installing M5-KDE, I just put it on a pre-existing 10Gb partition., using the "Manual" install option instead of the "Guided" options, and I had no trouble at all.

So I'm asing if you are in another Linux distro that you can use Gparted to set up the partition first. You can also download and burn Parted Magic which is a Live-CD that you can use to make the partitions first. If you're in Windows, Partition Magic would also work.

Keep trying! It's a pain doing all this stuff first, but the end result is worth it! And if all else fails, wait until M5-KDE Final is released....


I have linux mint on one HDD and Winxp on the other, what i want is no partitions at all just a fresh install with the beta version of linux i am not sure why its going on about partitions to be honest, the stable version (which i am using now) installer works fine, any other ideas?
nickembleton
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:51 am

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa KDE CE RC1 (BETA 045) is out!

Postby locutus on Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:57 pm

nickembleton wrote:I have linux mint on one HDD and Winxp on the other, what i want is no partitions at all just a fresh install with the beta version of linux i am not sure why its going on about partitions to be honest, the stable version (which i am using now) installer works fine, any other ideas?

There have been a few problems with this Beta version all having to do with the installer. I would say wait until the Final KDE version is released, then try again. But to be honest, I was always a KDE-lover and a Gnome-hater. But Mint 5 Gnome has impressed me so much that I'm keeping it on my laptop and am just testing the Beta KDE and will decide later which to keep on my Desktop. But the Gnome will definately stay on my laptop. Think about it, play around configuring it, and maybe you'll decide to just keep things as they are. Or to re-install M5-Gnome on the entire hard drive. Both will be version 5, the differences are in the desktop, not in, um, 'up-to-datedness' of any accompanying applications.
User avatar
locutus
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 406
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:54 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa KDE CE RC1 (BETA 045) is out!

Postby nickembleton on Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:06 am

locutus wrote:
nickembleton wrote:I have linux mint on one HDD and Winxp on the other, what i want is no partitions at all just a fresh install with the beta version of linux i am not sure why its going on about partitions to be honest, the stable version (which i am using now) installer works fine, any other ideas?

There have been a few problems with this Beta version all having to do with the installer. I would say wait until the Final KDE version is released, then try again. But to be honest, I was always a KDE-lover and a Gnome-hater. But Mint 5 Gnome has impressed me so much that I'm keeping it on my laptop and am just testing the Beta KDE and will decide later which to keep on my Desktop. But the Gnome will definately stay on my laptop. Think about it, play around configuring it, and maybe you'll decide to just keep things as they are. Or to re-install M5-Gnome on the entire hard drive. Both will be version 5, the differences are in the desktop, not in, um, 'up-to-datedness' of any accompanying applications.


Ok thanks anyway, any ideas when the final version will be released?
nickembleton
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:51 am

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa KDE CE RC1 (BETA 045) is out!

Postby bernado on Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:39 pm

Hy,
another annoying bug. When installing googleearth via adept you can't confirm the EULA Terms and condition for this program. There is no way to confirm and adept has to be killed and your apt-system is blocked.

Bernado
User avatar
bernado
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:04 pm

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa KDE CE RC1 (BETA 045) is out!

Postby 67GTA on Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:32 pm

67GTA wrote:I'm having trouble with the KDE power manager(kde-guidance-powermanager). It shows two procs, but they are both at 0%. I booted the Kubuntu 8.04 CD to check, and it shows them fine. I noticed a difference in package versions. Mint is using kde-guidance-powermanager 0.8.0svn20080103-Obuntu16.1 and Kubuntu is using 0.8.0svn20080103-Obuntu16. Not sure what the channel log is for 16.1, so don't know what the differences are. Also the Mint version does not have support for changing proc speed(performance,powersave,dynamic), and Kubuntu version does. I am using HP dv6815.

Code: Select all
00:00.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP67 Memory Controller (rev a2)
00:01.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP67 ISA Bridge (rev a2)
00:01.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation MCP67 SMBus (rev a2)
00:01.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP67 Memory Controller (rev a2)
00:01.3 Co-processor: nVidia Corporation MCP67 Co-processor (rev a2)
00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP67 OHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev a2)
00:02.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP67 EHCI USB 2.0 Controller (rev a2)
00:04.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP67 OHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev a2)
00:04.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP67 EHCI USB 2.0 Controller (rev a2)
00:06.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP67 IDE Controller (rev a1)
00:07.0 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP67 High Definition Audio (rev a1)
00:08.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP67 PCI Bridge (rev a2)
00:09.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP67 AHCI Controller (rev a2)
00:0a.0 Ethernet controller: nVidia Corporation MCP67 Ethernet (rev a2)
00:0c.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP67 PCI Express Bridge (rev a2)
00:0d.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP67 PCI Express Bridge (rev a2)
00:12.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GeForce 7150M (rev a2)
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
02:05.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd R5C832 IEEE 1394 Controller (rev 05)
02:05.1 SD Host controller: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter (rev 22)
02:05.2 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C843 MMC Host Controller (rev 12)
02:05.3 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C592 Memory Stick Bus Host Adapter (rev 12)
02:05.4 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd xD-Picture Card Controller (rev ff)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)


UPDATE: It wasn't the powermanager package. I have dual AMD procs. I had to uninstall powersaved and install powernowd for them to be utilized. Powersaved covers most everything except AMD. Maybe we should install powernowd instead of powersaved by default.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
User avatar
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6
 
Posts: 1301
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:49 pm
Location: Kentucky, USA

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa KDE CE RC1 (BETA 045) is out!

Postby niuser on Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:15 am

GOOD JOB!!! :mrgreen:
niuser
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 1:53 am

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa KDE CE RC1 (BETA 045) is out!

Postby NiksaVel on Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:12 am

I've noticed that if I run compiz, my video playback doesnt work (kaffeine / vlc) - I only get a black/grayish screen with no sound... turning off compiz instantly restores functionality...


Also.. if I autorun (.kde/Autostart) compiz using the same command that the menu entry uses, I get a screwed up startup sequence - the tray items (knetworkmanager, kmix, knotes, klipper etc..) don't appear in the tray at all, although they appear to be running... very strange and problematic
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem
User avatar
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 806
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:06 am
Location: Croatia

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa KDE CE RC1 (BETA 045) is out!

Postby AK Dave on Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:25 pm

NiksaVel wrote:I've noticed that if I run compiz, my video playback doesnt work (kaffeine / vlc) - I only get a black/grayish screen with no sound... turning off compiz instantly restores functionality...


Well-known problem, nothing unique to Mint or Ubuntu. With some combinations of video hardware and driver, Compiz and motion video are incompatable. Possible solutions include changing out your video driver (sometimes Envy helps, sometimes removing Envy drivers helps), changing out your video hardware (google around), and DISABLING COMPIZ.
User avatar
AK Dave
Level 6
Level 6
 
Posts: 1042
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 3:39 pm
Location: Anchorage, AK USA

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa KDE CE RC1 (BETA 045) is out!

Postby NiksaVel on Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:59 pm

but it works okay on my other comp with kde daryna on it... this one has nvidia (the one that is not working has ati)...

N
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem
User avatar
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 806
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:06 am
Location: Croatia

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 
PreviousNext

Return to Releases & Announcements

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests