Linux Mint 17 codenamed “Qiana”

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.

Re: Linux Mint 17 codenamed “Qiana”

Postby AlbertP on Thu May 15, 2014 4:55 pm

vasmakk wrote:Will those upgrades include kernel upgrades too ?
I mean if I install LM 17 now, and some (unimportant) hardware of my machine is not supported by the current kernel (3.13.0-24)...
is it possible to wake-up one day and see a new kernel (3.15.x) and the same hardware supported, after e.g. an upgrade to LM 17.x ?

Likely yes. The way kernels are handled in the updater has already been revised (as of Mint 16). Ubuntu's kernel updates in previous Mint releases were hidden as a "level 5" update. Now the Mint team can now provide their own kernel updates any time, for 16 and later releases. I have not had official confirmation, but I assume this will happen with the half-yearly point releases.

By the way, LTS editions already have some newer kernels available in Synaptic. In Mint 13, kernel versions roughly equivalent to those of 14, 15 (and 16?) can be found there, for manual installation. That means, Linux 3.5, 3.8 and 3.11.
So, even if Mint does not yet provide an updated kernel, you should be able to find the kernel versions used in Ubuntu's half-yearly releases there. Also, it is easy to upgrade your kernel yourself using this how-to: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40185

As you see there are a lot of possibilities to get newer hardware working. But I am quite sure the Mint team will provide newer kernels easily with future releases.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby kc1di on Thu May 15, 2014 5:10 pm

installed Mint 17 Cinnamon on two machines here. Both working fine except on one the time would not set had to set it with the terminal. Other than that they both seem to be doing very well. Going to be a good one.
John 3:16
Morse code an Early
Digital Mode
Registered Linux User #462608
kc1di
Level 6
Level 6

Postby beachgardener on Thu May 15, 2014 6:45 pm

Firstly thank you very much for LinuxMint 17 and the eventual on going upgrades for 17.1 and 17.2, much apprerciate your work.

Now the Mint team can now provide their own kernel updates any time, for 16 and later releases.

I see the kernel upgrades too, flagged as security updates, no worries, but i ask, should i revert to nouveau drivers first, install kernel updates, then re-instate nvidia drivers? or just install kernel and all will be well?
Thanks, regards beachgardener.
beachgardener
Level 2
Level 2

Postby tdockery97 on Thu May 15, 2014 8:32 pm

beachgardener wrote:but i ask, should i revert to nouveau drivers first, install kernel updates, then re-instate nvidia drivers? or just install kernel and all will be well?

I don't know about nvidia, but I did those security updates without removing the ATI proprietary driver and had no problem on reboot.

HP Pavilion 17 Notebook, 8GB DDR3, 2.5GHZ A10-APU, Radeon HD 8650G
Registered Linux User #520972
tdockery97
Level 13
Level 13

Postby beachgardener on Thu May 15, 2014 9:22 pm

tdockery97 wrote:
beachgardener wrote:but i ask, should i revert to nouveau drivers first, install kernel updates, then re-instate nvidia drivers? or just install kernel and all will be well?

I don't know about nvidia, but I did those security updates without removing the ATI proprietary driver and had no problem on reboot.

Ahh, thanks for that, i guess it would be much like my Ubuntu install the kernel updates go ok with nvidia installed on that, i will give it a go, i just remember ages ago when i was on openSuse back to 9.1 and then 10, 11, we had a certain procedure to put kernel updates in.
Thanks, regards Ken

edit: all worked splendidly well, i'm happy that we can now keep up with kernel security updates, cheers :)
beachgardener
Level 2
Level 2

Postby moniesonie on Fri May 16, 2014 4:53 am

yaaaaaaaa .....i hav been waiting for the new mint 17 kde edition ..guys plz let me know when woud it b released..i am sick of using this bull...t winows on my pc ....damn waiting for nearly 15 days and hav been daily cheking fo the relased of my kde edition...plzz plzzz plzz reply me guys am dying... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
moniesonie
Level 1
Level 1

Postby xenopeek on Fri May 16, 2014 6:33 am

Linux Mint 17 KDE and Xfce will probably be released by end of June. I think you are dead.
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Zorba on Fri May 16, 2014 7:05 am

Qiana KDE Edition i386 (build #201405151459) 78.33% tested http://community.linuxmint.com/iso :D :D
Zorba
Level 8
Level 8

Postby ashtonford on Fri May 16, 2014 7:19 am

have a question. I installed mint 17 cinnamon and was wondering when the final relase comes out do I have to to a clean reinstall or will just doing the regular updates get me up to the final release. Just want to add this rc is awsome everything works perfect. Awsome job.
ashtonford
Level 2
Level 2

Postby xenopeek on Fri May 16, 2014 7:41 am

ashtonford wrote:when the final relase comes out do I have to to a clean reinstall or will just doing the regular updates get me up to the final release

Please just follow the blog (http://blog.linuxmint.com), on the final release announcement that information will be shared. It depends on what issues are found during public testing of the RC.
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby xsog on Fri May 16, 2014 7:43 am

can we test new linux mints? before it comes out
xsog
Level 2
Level 2

Postby JSeymour on Fri May 16, 2014 7:59 am

If some of you guys would just read the thread, or the blog, you'd find some of these questions have already been answered. Sometimes multiple times.

Jim
JSeymour
Level 2
Level 2

Postby xenopeek on Fri May 16, 2014 8:03 am

This topic announced (way back :)) the name of upcoming Linux Mint 17. Some have been using the RC since before the announcements were up, and used this topic to report issues and problems. Now that the announcements are up, please shift to reporting your issues and problems in the comments on the announcements. Thank you.

Announcement of Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon RC: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2615

Announcement of Linux Mint 17 MATE RC: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2616

Topic locked.
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Previous

Return to Releases & Announcements