Linux Mint 17 codenamed “Qiana”

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Linux Mint 17 codenamed “Qiana”

Post by tdockery97 »

andersau wrote:Downloaded and installed the Cinnamon 64 bit RC which is working nicely on my PC. Very quick and easy install, no significant issues to report.
Me too. Mint 17 Cinnamon feels even faster than Mint 16, with some really cool improvements such as integrating the old Brightness & Lock settings into Power Management. It also boots faster on my laptop than Mint 16 did.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
ClutchDisc

Post by ClutchDisc »

Downloading Mint 17 Mate right now! :mrgreen: Question: How long does it normally take from RC release to stable release?
roger25118

Post by roger25118 »

Just installed Mint 17 Cinnamon. It does appear to be faster, might be the newness of it though. I did noticed that the software manager and update manager password box pops up a lot faster than on Mint 16. I'll play around with it some, then reinstall it on a SSD when I get it. I may have to time the boot up times with both a standard HD and a SSD and see how fast Mint 17 boots.
vasmakk

Post by vasmakk »

Say Hi to all!

I appologise for my ignorance but ...
How can I download a RC ISO image ?
I found no download link at http://community.linuxmint.com/iso

Thx!
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

vasmakk wrote:Say Hi to all!

I appologise for my ignorance but ...
How can I download a RC ISO image ?
I found no download link at http://community.linuxmint.com/iso

Thx!

those links are a few posts above yours, on the same page..
vasmakk

Post by vasmakk »

wayne128 wrote: those links are a few posts above yours, on the same page..
Thx wayne :) For a moment I got blined!
vasmakk

Post by vasmakk »

ClutchDisc wrote:Downloading Mint 17 Mate right now! :mrgreen:
Question: How long does it normally take from RC release to stable release?
About 10 days more or less ...
ClutchDisc

Post by ClutchDisc »

Good! Thanks! :D
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

In case everyone doesn't read the blog, here's a change in the way things will be done in future concerning further development. It's a change I think is for the better, should strengthen and better enhance LTS versions.

From Clem's blog;

The decision was made to stick to LTS bases. In other words the development team will be focused on the very same package base used by Linux Mint 17 for the next 2 years. It will also be trivial to upgrade from version 17 to 17.1, then 17.2 and so on. Important applications will be backported and we expect this change to boost the pace of our development and reduce the amount of regressions in each new Linux Mint release. This makes Linux Mint 17.x very important to us, not just yet another release, but one that will receive security updates until 2019, one that will receive backports and new features until 2016 and even more importantly, the only package base besides LMDE which we’ll be focused on until 2016.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
ClutchDisc

Post by ClutchDisc »

Yea I just saw that! I think it's a change for the better as well.
vasmakk

Post by vasmakk »

Spearmint2 wrote:In case everyone doesn't read the blog, here's a change in the way things will be done in future concerning further development. It's a change I think is for the better, should strengthen and better enhance LTS versions.

From Clem's blog;

The decision was made to stick to LTS bases. In other words the development team will be focused on the very same package base used by Linux Mint 17 for the next 2 years. It will also be trivial to upgrade from version 17 to 17.1, then 17.2 and so on. Important applications will be backported and we expect this change to boost the pace of our development and reduce the amount of regressions in each new Linux Mint release. This makes Linux Mint 17.x very important to us, not just yet another release, but one that will receive security updates until 2019, one that will receive backports and new features until 2016 and even more importantly, the only package base besides LMDE which we’ll be focused on until 2016.
Will those upgrades include kernel upgrades too ?
I mean if I install LM 17 now, and some (unimportant) hardware of my machine is not supported by the current kernel (3.13.0-24)...
is it possible to wake-up one day and see a new kernel (3.15.x) and the same hardware supported, after e.g. an upgrade to LM 17.x ?

Thx!
nobby.uk

Post by nobby.uk »

anyone else seeing issues with "Network Proxy". Set the required values, turn on, close the window.
go back in and network proxy is OFF.
Set it to on again, close the window, go back in and it's off once again.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

ClutchDisc wrote:Yea I just saw that! I think it's a change for the better as well.
I hope it means there are increasingly current ISO files for 17 made available at each "point" along the development road. I helped someone get onto Mint 16 this week and discovered there were at the time 267 updates for 320+ MB's still to be added through the update manager.

One of the main complaints about XP over the years was, even after SP3, if you did a fresh install, there were hundreds if not over a thousand updates which then had to be downloaded. Consequently most XP users did every way to fix an issue to avoid a fresh install, often wasting time in the effort, and ending up eventually biting the bullet and doing the fresh install and then all the service packs (SP3 required one of the earlier ones first, wasn't cumulative itself) and all the updates. Issuing updated ISO's at various points along the way for an LTS would be much better than MS did. I know it's less to do it by downloads early on but that gets less an advantage as a couple years pass. The situation where new Mint converts will do the first install, having it in a fairly updated ISO might be best. It's one reason when I left XP I started Mint with interim version 14 instead of the LTS of Maya.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

I mean if I install LM 17 now, and some (unimportant) hardware of my machine is not supported by the current kernel (3.13.0-24)...
is it possible to wake-up one day and see a new kernel (3.15.x) and the same hardware supported, after e.g. an upgrade to LM 17.x ?

Thx!
I don't know, good question to ask the development team. Newer kernels are available I think through the update process if you enable rates below 3 which then enters the less safe or untested and possibly dangerous software available. What I think they should do is check newer kernels for compatibility and issue a statement on it's safety to upgrade or better avoided. I've not seen that, but maybe the information is available somewhere. Otherwise you'd have to check forum for those who took it on themselves to install a newer kernel and see how it worked out for them. Be sure to use the "stable" version.

https://www.kernel.org/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_kern ... ment_model
Last edited by Spearmint2 on Wed May 14, 2014 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
rockadile
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rockadile »

nobby.uk wrote:anyone else seeing issues with "Network Proxy". Set the required values, turn on, close the window.
This is an issue in Mint 16 as well. IIRC, it does work, the switch is not displaying correctly.
nobby.uk

Post by nobby.uk »

yes, the proxy issue is in 16 as well, but at least with 16 you click on, close the window and the proxy settings were active.
With 17RC, they look to drop as soon as you close the Window.
Bejje

Post by Bejje »

vasmakk wrote:
Spearmint2 wrote:In case everyone doesn't read the blog, here's a change in the way things will be done in future concerning further development. It's a change I think is for the better, should strengthen and better enhance LTS versions.

From Clem's blog;

Thx!
Crap! Is it 3.13.0.24 that is the current kernel in the RC? Then it's no idea I try it out then, cause that kernel works liek crap with AMD drivers with Ubuntu.
Bejje

Post by Bejje »

nobby.uk wrote:anyone else seeing issues with "Network Proxy". Set the required values, turn on, close the window.
I tested Mint 16 in my corporate environment and had the exact same issue. Needed to put in proxy in some config file somewhere in order to get it to work.
So Ubuntu works much better when proxy is needed since any proxy setting put in to the gui goes system wide, but for Mint only some is affected by that change, so unles you only need proxy in the browser i would suggest googling how to put in proxy system wide with Mint.
goetzkluge
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint 17 “Qiana” Mate 32Bit RC: Great Job!

Post by goetzkluge »

Great job!

My thanks to all who made that first "Qiana" RC possible. I installed it on a preformatted memory stick. Installation and adding most of my required applications went smoothly. I can work with it just like with the previous version. The drive with the previous version I won't update yet. But I now will be using "Qiana" and report bugs, if I notice any.

Thanks again!
Goetz

http://www.snrk.de
Last edited by goetzkluge on Wed May 14, 2014 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NM5TF

Post by NM5TF »

waiting anxiously for Qiana to come out....

of my 4 *nix distros, Mint is my favorite one...sleek, fast, & light on resources....

tommy

Return to “Releases & Announcements”