Linux Mint 17 codenamed “Qiana”

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.

Re: Linux Mint 17 codenamed “Qiana”

Postby JSeymour on Wed May 14, 2014 8:17 pm

Just installed 17 Mate 64 over the top of the fresh install of 16 I did yesterday. It was actually more painful than the 16 install, in a way, because it went Tango-Uniform on the Grub install, left /target, and everything under it, still mounted, requiring a reboot and manually remounting everything so I could add mdadm and do grub-install.

I got it going, but this is disappointing. The Live/installer is still not running mdadm, so still no out-of-the-box support for mdraid? This is what the Mint team wants to base the how many next years' worth of releases upon? Really? Debian, I'm told, can do an mdraid install on naked drives. So, too, can Ubuntu. Or so their docs say. So... why is the Mint team apparently removing this capability?

Btw: As per an earlier post: Seems no snappier than 16. Just the opposite, if anything. The boot of Live off of a USB stick is definitely much slower. But it's an RC, so I don't know if that's meaningful.

Jim
JSeymour
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby rockadile on Wed May 14, 2014 8:20 pm

rosswmcgee wrote:This is the first distro I have had this problem with so you are saying AMlD is at fault for one release only. Seems unlikely.

If AMD only releases proprietary drivers with no source code, any changes that need to be made to the drivers need to be made by AMD. Whereas, had they released the source code, like other manufacturers have, any changes needed could be made by any developer and released in the distro without having to wait for AMD to get around to it. I am sure it is not on the top of their priority list. So, yes, it is likely.
rockadile
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kmb42vt on Wed May 14, 2014 8:45 pm

I've just done a clean install of Linux Mint 17/Cinnamon RC (64-bit) over LM 16/Cinnamon on my trusty old desktop PC (Intel Core 2 Quad/8 GB DDR2/Nvidia GT 430 w/1.0 GB DDR3), applied updates and it's running fast and stable...so far. Restored my data, installed my usual apps and no problems. I also installed the proprietary Nvidia driver version 331.38. It screwed up the Plymouth splash screen as usual but that's the only glitch. Otherwise the driver works fine.

I did notice that it's a bit heavier in resources once the desktop appears after login. LM 16/Cinnamon (64-bit) ran about 290 MBs at an idle after login where LM 17/Cinnamon (64-bit) runs around 400 MBs). The Cinnamon process is taking up around 143 MBs at login as compared to LM 16's approximately 68 MBs. Despite this Cinnamon 2.2.9 is faster than 2.0 and certain Cinnamon related items are much faster. For example, start time for Cinnamon Settings is significantly faster than in Linux Mint 16/Cinnamon.

Not too sure why some folks are seeing slow performance especially in the live session which booted very quickly for me even on my older machine which only has USB 2.0.

LM 17/Cinnamon LTS feels polished and mature now and though the Mint X theme is still the default I understand that there was a whole lot of work done to make things stand out and it shows...for me at least.

Not bad considering that Linux Mint 17 RCs haven't been released yet. :)
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Postby ClutchDisc on Wed May 14, 2014 9:19 pm

I just did a clean install of Linux Mint 17 mate 32bit on my Dell this morning. After using it for the day, I would have to say I am very impressed! Fast, stable. The install went very smoothly, and I was up and running after about 10 to 15 minutes. I haven't had any bugs, and all that I have seen has impressed me. It feels faster than Mint 13 to me. Great job Mint team!!! :D
Gateway NE56R41u laptop, 2.20 GHz x2, 4 GB DDR3, 128GB SSD - Linux Mint 17.1 (Cinnamon)
Dell Dimension E310 desktop, 2.80 GHz, 2 GB DDR2 - Linux Mint 17.1 (Mate)
ClutchDisc
Level 5
Level 5

Postby KBD47 on Wed May 14, 2014 10:15 pm

Using Cinnamon 32 bit right now. It's using 500 mb ram but that's with music streaming through the browser. Looks very good. I had the grub issue brought over from Ubuntu 14.04 where using a usb it recognizes the usb as sda and hard drive as sdb. Other than that good so far.
KBD47
Level 6
Level 6

Postby ponack on Wed May 14, 2014 10:54 pm

So far so good with 17, but I did notice with VirtualBox:

I get an error -1908 that tells me to run /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup

I do so, and get the following:

sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
Stopping VirtualBox kernel modules ...done.
Uninstalling old VirtualBox DKMS kernel modules/etc/init.d/vboxdrv: 302: /etc/init.d/vboxdrv: /usr/share/virtualbox/src/vboxhost/do_dkms: not found
...done.
Trying to register the VirtualBox kernel modules using DKMS/etc/init.d/vboxdrv: 327: /etc/init.d/vboxdrv: /usr/share/virtualbox/src/vboxhost/do_dkms: not found
...failed!
(Failed, trying without DKMS)
Recompiling VirtualBox kernel modules ...failed!
(Look at /var/log/vbox-install.log to find out what went wrong)
ponack
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mr_raider on Thu May 15, 2014 12:14 am

vasmakk wrote:Will those upgrades include kernel upgrades too ?
I mean if I install LM 17 now, and some (unimportant) hardware of my machine is not supported by the current kernel (3.13.0-24)...
is it possible to wake-up one day and see a new kernel (3.15.x) and the same hardware supported, after e.g. an upgrade to LM 17.x ?

Thx!

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack

Essentially, the LTSes are slowly becoming rolling distros for 5 years.
mr_raider
Level 4
Level 4

Postby mintybits on Thu May 15, 2014 3:05 am

JSeymour wrote:I got it going, but this is disappointing. The Live/installer is still not running mdadm, so still no out-of-the-box support for mdraid? This is what the Mint team wants to base the how many next years' worth of releases upon? Really? Debian, I'm told, can do an mdraid install on naked drives. So, too, can Ubuntu. Or so their docs say. So... why is the Mint team apparently removing this capability?

Mint uses the Ubuntu desktop installer, so neither support mdraid. The Ubuntu Server installer is different and does support it. Someone ought to prioritise rewriting the desktop installer because it has serious limitations, some defects and there seem to be lots of dual boot with Windows issues. Not a good first impression for newcomers. Grub also needs replacing with something not so user-hostile.
mintybits
Level 5
Level 5

Postby xenopeek on Thu May 15, 2014 4:03 am

Feedback about issues encountered in the RC please ONLY post those on the blog post with the RC announcement, as that is where the developers gather all the feedback from to fix issues for the final release.

The RC hasn't been announced on the blog yet, so anybody already running it does so without having access to list of know issues that would be listed on that, and without a place to give feedback that will be picked up by the developers.

Please wait till RC is announced on the blog here http://blog.linuxmint.com/
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Adelante on Thu May 15, 2014 6:37 am

I notice the discussion has already started on the monthly thread. Clem is participating. For anyone interested.
Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon
Adelante
Level 4
Level 4

Postby goetzkluge on Thu May 15, 2014 6:43 am

My "Qiana" (32Bit, Mate) on pen drive also works well with my old Eee PC 901. Merci!
goetzkluge
Level 2
Level 2

Postby JSeymour on Thu May 15, 2014 7:17 am

mintybits wrote:Mint uses the Ubuntu desktop installer, so neither support mdraid. The Ubuntu Server installer is different and does support it.

Ah, so that's what it is. Thanks for the clue.

I wonder why the Ubuntu devs think no desktop user could ever care about high availability? It's not as if this isn't discussed all over the forums, for every distro, with multiple HowTos showing people how to manually stuff the setup.

mintybits wrote:Someone ought to prioritise rewriting the desktop installer ...

Thumbs up to that!

Jim
JSeymour
Level 2
Level 2

Postby rodrigodk on Thu May 15, 2014 10:38 am

Will reply on RC blog post, but someone can help me?

noveau didn't started after install (live install used software renderer). So no X at all.

So, in recovery mode, i've tried to install nvidia-current and nvidia-current-updates, without luck. dmesg complains someting about license and taints kernel.

My Notebook has a nvidia GT640M WITHOUT intel fallback, with Core i7 3630.

Ubuntu Trusty Desktop installed just fine, with noveau, then installing nvidia through ubuntu control panel. Can use both without issues.
rodrigodk
Level 1
Level 1

Postby JSeymour on Thu May 15, 2014 12:30 pm

Adelante wrote:I notice the discussion has already started on the monthly thread. Clem is participating. For anyone interested.

Is that blog moderated or something? I posted a short comment and it never appeared. Thinking maybe I hadn't posted it, I tried posting it again. "This looks like something you already posted" was the response. But my comments are nowhere to be seen.

Jim
JSeymour
Level 2
Level 2

Postby xenopeek on Thu May 15, 2014 12:33 pm

Yes, moderated. Patience :)
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby JSeymour on Thu May 15, 2014 1:10 pm

xenopeek wrote:Yes, moderated. Patience :)

Ah, so... we're seeing everything with a (substantial?) "transmission delay."

Thanks for the info.

Jim
JSeymour
Level 2
Level 2

Postby usbtux on Thu May 15, 2014 1:26 pm

Hope VNC works with Mint 17 it doesnt work with ubuntu 14.4...
http://goo.gl/DXKgM LinuxMint tutorials.
Running LinuxMint 17 Cinnamon/KDE/XFCE
http://goo.gl/WFu0u Installing Mint - the screen cast videos.
linuxcounter #368850
usbtux
Level 5
Level 5

Postby jand on Thu May 15, 2014 2:16 pm

About the AMD graphics driver problem.

I have a laptop with an Intel HD4000 and an AMD HD 8600M. Nothing worked until I followed the directions from this blog. The AMD drivers work perfectly now but my laptop's fans kept spinning loud for no apparent reason. So I launched the Catalyst control panel (sudo amdcccle) and I selected the Intel graphics card as the one I want to use:

The HD4000 is (still) quite capable for everyday tasks (surfing, HD video, light image editing) and the machine is also super quiet.
jand
Level 1
Level 1

Postby NM5TF on Thu May 15, 2014 4:01 pm

yesterday I tried Mint 17 Cinnamon...loaded fine, but mouse & keyboard were totally inoperable even in live mode...
wifi was detected, but without a keyboard/mouse could go no further..... :(

today I tried Mint 17 Mate...works perfectly so far & even wifi came up with no tweaks needed in live mode.... :D

now to decide to either replace Mint 16 with 17...or put it into it's own partition.... :?:

system specs are :

AMD K8 ATHLON 64X2 DUAL CORE 4000+ CPU @ 2.1GHz
NVIDIA GeFORCE 6150SE NFORCE 430 GPU
2GB DDR2 MEM

tommy
Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca, Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS, Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS, Debian 7.7 Wheezy, Fedora 21
Registered Linux User # 529389
my new & improved web page http://users.gilanet.com/~tfrost
NM5TF
Level 1
Level 1

Postby nkoropoff on Thu May 15, 2014 4:16 pm

Installed LM 17 Cinnamon 64 yesterday on a Lenovo X1. All is working great. Just had to patch libfprint to get the fingerprint reader working. Everything else was fine right out of the box. Also tried it on a Lenovo W520 with Nvidia and all is fine.

Neil
nkoropoff
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to Releases & Announcements