Monthly News: April 2014

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Monthly News: April 2014

Post by clem »

Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Monthly News: April 2014

Post by Monsta »

I think the most important part of the news should be highlighted:
The decision was made to stick to LTS bases. In other words the development team will be focused on the very same package base used by Linux Mint 17 for the next 2 years. It will also be trivial to upgrade from version 17 to 17.1, then 17.2 and so on. Important applications will be backported and we expect this change to boost the pace of our development and reduce the amount of regressions in each new Linux Mint release. This makes Linux Mint 17.x very important to us, not just yet another release, but one that will receive security updates until 2019, one that will receive backports and new features until 2016 and even more importantly, the only package base besides LMDE which we’ll be focused on until 2016.
The Dark Side

Post by The Dark Side »

Excellent decision, was who has taken the Linux Mint Team. Based on LTS versions was by far away The Best Decision I have taken.... Keep only Linux Mint 17, constantly updating, it until you get Linux Mint 18 (to coincide with the 16.04 version of Ubuntu and its derivatives). Clapping !!!! Honestly Clapping !!!!

We are proud to use the Best Linux Distribution. Congratulations Linux Mint Team !!!!
altae

Post by altae »

Me too, I am also very pleased with the decision to stick to LTS releases. Snce Linux Mnt cannot be easily upgraded to a higher version number without reinstalling everything I have never understood why one should use the non LTS versions. I don't want to reinstall my os every 6 Months.
ingeva
Level 4
Level 4

Re:

Post by ingeva »

altae wrote:Me too, I am also very pleased with the decision to stick to LTS releases. Snce Linux Mnt cannot be easily upgraded to a higher version number without reinstalling everything I have never understood why one should use the non LTS versions. I don't want to reinstall my os every 6 Months.
I don't think that's such a big deal. Windows takes a day to install from scratch with everything included. Mint takes 10 minutes (the basics), and then up to an hour to get updates and additions. With a nice set of scripts you don't have to sit there and herd the system, so you can do other useful things while the system is being restored. I set up all programs, databases, networking etc. this way.

I'm still waiting for an online system generator though. There's really no sane reason why we shouldn't be able to use the system while generating a system a different partition. An online system generator could be quite small, getting almost everything from the Net.
Mint rules! (20.1 MATE) Cinnamon go home! :)
altae

Post by altae »

A day to install Windows? It takes me a whole weekend to install everything and tweak the system so it's exactly as I want it to be. And for Mint it is practically the same. Reinstalling all the sofware, including those programs that are not in the repos and have to be downloaded manually or even compiled, tweaking everything, installing the printer, configuring network shares... no way that can be achieved in minutes. It takes hours to set everything up the way I want it to be. That's why I don't like upgrading my os every 6 months. No that I don't like playing around with my pc. But only to up to a certain limit and every 6 months is definitely too much :-)
turtlebay777

Re: Re:

Post by turtlebay777 »

ingeva wrote:
I don't think that's such a big deal. Windows takes a day to install from scratch with everything included. Mint takes 10 minutes (the basics), and then up to an hour to get updates and additions. With a nice set of scripts you don't have to sit there and herd the system, so you can do other useful things while the system is being restored. I set up all programs, databases, networking etc. this way.

All well and good for you,but you've forgotten about those of us who have to transfer all our /home files as well. Not everyone can afford an external disc drive!

It's better the way they suggested, it brings it more into line with the updates on LMDE where we don't need to keep on reinstalling interim versions.
virusdunil

Post by virusdunil »

Hi all.....didnt know where to put my thread so....

looks like Qiana KDE is halted as we can see on the testing pages......Problems found ????
Cityscape

Post by Cityscape »

turtlebay777 wrote:All well and good for you,but you've forgotten about those of us who have to transfer all our /home files as well. Not everyone can afford an external disc drive!
I just your post...

You can keep your home folder if you put it on it's own partition. I've reinstalled Linux several times now without touching my home partition. When you install it the first time just choose the advanced options at the partition manager... create 1 partition and mount /home to it, create a 2nd partition and mount / to it (and of course create a swap partition if you want that.)

But I still recommend an external drive too, they are pretty affordable these days (2 TB for $100!) and you probably want a backup... hard drives can fail or your data can accidentally be deleted. :wink:

Return to “Releases & Announcements”