Linux Mint 17 "Qiana" Cinnamon RC is out!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
altae

Post by altae »

What do you mean by position? The position of the FF window on the screen? The last website you where browsing before you closed the browser? Something else?
Linux26

Re: Linux Mint 17 "Qiana" Cinnamon RC is out!

Post by Linux26 »

Is normal that I cannot see any try icon, pigdin one for example ? I don't know if that's a know bug since I always used MATE...
wmsneal

Post by wmsneal »

I am looking forward to the final Mint 17. I just want to know if there will be any replacement for a screen reader such as Orca. At this point I do not see a version of NVDA for Linux available. I teach at a school for the blind and visually impaired and would like t be able to have an open source OS available.
mintymatrix
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mintymatrix »

When can we expect to have the final version ?
Any news about the LXDE version ?
Stickytoffeedog

Post by Stickytoffeedog »

I just installed Qiana on my Toshiba laptop. It installed without a hitch and runs perfectly.Just brilliant. Congratualtions and much thanks to all involved!
pete-maister
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pete-maister »

Hi mint team! I wanted to say thanks for the good job of linux mint 17.Even if it is the Rc version is quite stable and has many improvements.I am very excited to see the final version in a few days!Once again good job mint team!
bugreprt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bugreprt »

I've noticed that the Skype window behavour is still odd. When you close and open it a few times, it slowly creeps up the screen. About 12 closes and it goes from bottom to top. It should open in the same position as it was closed!!! Any chance of a fix???
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Post by excollier »

mintymatrix wrote:When can we expect to have the final version ?
Any news about the LXDE version ?
No LXDE version.
Registered Linux user #557695
MX Linux user these days - I introduce newbies via Mint
kyrios

Post by kyrios »

Hello,

I am running Linux Mint MATE for a year and I have installed Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 17 RC and I have 2 stupid questions:

1/ I see the settings for power saving & screensaver have been re-organized in cinnamon 2.2 which is good but I don't find where/how I can choose another screensaver. Is there only 1 screensaver in Cinnamon ?

2/ I have seen that some packages for Mint 17 RC have been updated a few days ago to fix the support of Nividia Optimus cards.
I have updated the packages but I don't see anywhere how I could see which GPU is used or to tell applications which GPU they should use. Until now, I used to install Bumblebee and use the optirun command to run an application with the NVidia GPU.
Mal_Hil

Post by Mal_Hil »

I've been using Qiana Cinnamon 17 RC since the day it came out ( I dont yet have any critical work going on on the linux box ) and apart from a few quibles about the sign on box at the first attempt - I have had no issues whatever - it seems a very good package and has convinced me to stay with LM.
There have been quite a lot of updates but most seem to be from ubuntu.

Very many thanks to Clem and all the team.
Mal
Previous1

Post by Previous1 »

The Mint tools have definitely improved with version 17, and cinnamon 2.2 is a big leap forwards. Cinnamon is now one of my favorite DEs; I used to hate it with a passion. :lol:
taytong888

Post by taytong888 »

Hi,

I have been running LM 17 Cinnamon RC 64-bit pretty well, until today. I just got the message saying Cinnamon just crashed...The screen is now mostly black, with the exception of home and trash folder icons.

I tried recovery mode but failed to get things back to normal. I would appreciate your advice or suggestions.

By the way, the video card is Ge6600GT.
taytong888

Post by taytong888 »

Update:

Here's what happened:

1. Recovery Mode > dpkg > Repair broken packages: Doesn't work, i.e. same error message as above
2. Recovery Mode > Root > dmesg: Module licence Nvidia taints kernel
3. #cinnamon --replace: Error message: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set in environment. Window Manager error: Unable to open X display
4. Finally what works: Black screen fallback mode > Rightclick > Open terminal, then:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
After installation of cinnamon-common 2.2.13 and mint drivers 1.1.2, etc., reboot and login, I was able to see normal Cinnamon desktop!

Cheers!

:D
andersau
Level 2
Level 2

Post by andersau »

It looks like the final release of Mint 17 is now testing - see http://community.linuxmint.com/iso

Hopefully there won't be too many issues so that it can be released soon. The RC is working very nicely for me, but I'll wait for final before updating PC's used by other people.
mtbvfr

Post by mtbvfr »

Can anyone point me to a list of applications/software included with this version?

Thanks, Michael.
morri
Level 1
Level 1

Post by morri »

The ubuntu sources were also called qiana so it is totally a dead link..
rpr-nospam

Post by rpr-nospam »

mtbvfr wrote:Can anyone point me to a list of applications/software included with this version?
As Linux Mint 17 is based on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, you can install software packages available for Trusty: http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/

Also, Linux Mint 17 uses additional packages built for Cinnamon and/or MATE desktops: http://packages.linuxmint.com/list.php?release=Qiana

-- rpr.
Don_Pedro
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Don_Pedro »

a list of applications/software included with this version?

Look... a smart way for you to know : Running Linux Mint from an usb key , open the Software Manager. Select "All Packages".

All software installed are indicated with a green tag.

Cordially
P.
Mint 21.2 64-bit , Cinnamon
Think Pad T420 Ram:8 GB Intel© Core™ i5-2520M CPU @ 2.50GHz × 2 SSD Samsung- Firefox/Brave
JRG

Post by JRG »

mtbvfr wrote:Can anyone point me to a list of applications/software included with this version?

Thanks, Michael.
I'm not sure how useful that would be for you. Linux Mint MATE (or Cinnamon or XFCE) has a huge number of packages and I doubt you are interested in which particular supporting libraries are "included". The distribution comes with the basic Desktop Environment (MATE, Cinnamon, KDE or XFCE) and a "basic" set of applications. I happen to prefer XFCE. However, it is trivial to install a huge number of applications. You can even have multiple different "Desktop Environments" (so both MATE and Cinnamon) — personally I think having multiple Desktop Environments is a mistake, but that is a personal opinion (I worry about side-effects and don't wish to install stuff I don't use).

So, for example, the following (and probabably others) are included in the "basic" Linux Mint 17 (Qiana) distribution:

Archive Manager
Audio Mixer
Backup Tool
Banshee (music player+)
Brasero (create and copy CDs/DVDs)
Calculator
Disks
Domain Blocker
Driver Manager
a File Manger (depends which desktop version you choose, so Caja, Thunar...)
Firefox
Gimp (image editor)
gThumb (view & organize images — probably different one for different desktop versions)
HexChat
LibreOffice (a suite: WordProcessor, Spreadsheet, Presentation...)
Orage Calendar (again, probably depends on desktop version)
various settings managers (printers, display,...)
Simple Scan (scanner software)
Software Manager *** (easy way to find and install additional software)
Terminal (which one depends on the desktop version)
Text Editor (depends on desktop version)
Thunderbird (email)
Tomboy Notes (a note-taker/organizer)
Update Manager (monitor for & allow installing updates)
VLC media player (may depend on desktop version)

Again, as an example, here are some trivially added applications using the Software Manager (ones I've installed — it's a SMALL list :-)

Chromium (web browser_
Cryptkeeper (encrypted folders)
FileZilla (GUI FTP program)
gColor2 (color selector — useful for website design)
GParted (partition, format, nuke disks)
LuckyBackup (backup software)
Opera (yet another web browser)
VirtualBox (run other operating systems in "virtual machines")
Skype (I think everyone knows what this is)
SysInfo (display information about your system — choice of this program depends on which desktop environment)
Users and Groups (the package is "gnome-system-tools" — what you use for administering Users and Groups depends on which desktop environment)
Xfe (the File Manager I prefer — there are other similar "2-Panel File Mangers")

I do have Dropbox installed, but I prefer to do that manually — the instructions are on the dropbox.com website.
Hitchhiker

Post by Hitchhiker »

Ubuntu 14.04 considers my 2007 Intel wifi card as legacy hardware and the DVD doesn't support it.

The Mint 17 DVD does support it.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”