Linux Mint 17 "Qiana" Cinnamon RC is out!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 17 "Qiana" Cinnamon RC is out!

Post by clem »

jefboyardee

Qiana released

Post by jefboyardee »

Linux Mint 17 “Qiana” Cinnamon RC released!

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2615
Last edited by karlchen on Fri May 16, 2014 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (added this second Qiana RC release announcement to the original one by Clem)
AleQwerty

Re: Linux Mint 17 "Qiana" Cinnamon RC is out!

Post by AleQwerty »

Thanks Clem and team... :wink:

Qiana Cinnamon is perfect.

days of the week in Spanish is perfect now on calendar... :D

http://i.minus.com/ibpJFqseXwEZR4.jpg

Thanks.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Both the Cinnamon and MATE editions are awesome!
Great work Clem!
Dupo

Post by Dupo »

Hi,

I think I've got a bug with Mint 17 Cinnamon RC. I made updates with MintUpdate, but MintUpdate gives me the five level (with the possibility to update kernel). Well, only the first, second and third levels are selected, not the five level. Why MintUpdate gives me the five level ?
WinterTroubles

Post by WinterTroubles »

Dupo

To quote the whats new in mint 17 from the blog
Security updates can now bypass safety levels and two new options were added for you to decide if they should always be visible and if they should be selected.
jefboyardee

Post by jefboyardee »

Not much changed, which is fine. Firefox 28 comes in the box, ups to 29 after updater is run. Was hoping for a different backup program, had to wander over to Lucky again. Overall... not much for a Linux Cretin like me to get excited about. Still, LM remains the distro I always go back to.
Dupo

Post by Dupo »

Hi,
WinterTroubles wrote:Dupo

To quote the whats new in mint 17 from the blog
Security updates can now bypass safety levels and two new options were added for you to decide if they should always be visible and if they should be selected.
So, I must check these two options if I don't want that the MintUpdate software show me the upper levels ?

Else, I want to tell to Mint devs that someone here found a solution for use nvidia-prime with mdm. The solution was used with Mint 16 and it worked. I will give you the link as soon as possible. :wink:

Note: here is the link : http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... me#p840559 :wink:
WinterTroubles

Post by WinterTroubles »

Dupo

I don't wish to be rude or discourteous, however, I must say that Mint 17 RC is a testing release with an extensive blog post on the Linux Mint Blog. Before using any testing release you should read the documentation so you know what to expect and how to report bugs.

Not being a native english speaker I understand that the blog announcement and notes may be difficult to understand, however, your questions are answered there http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2615
Don_Pedro
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Don_Pedro »

HeyItsLou 's Video not on line... what's going on ?

Lou we just wait your video to know if worth the trouble to download Qiana. :wink:
P.
Mint 21.2 64-bit , Cinnamon
Think Pad T420 Ram:8 GB Intel© Core™ i5-2520M CPU @ 2.50GHz × 2 SSD Samsung- Firefox/Brave
turtlebay777

Post by turtlebay777 »

I think Mr Dupo is getting too excited. The Mint 17 RC release is not the main 'ready for use' version.
There are bound to be bugs in the testing copy he has downloaded and he should report them in the blog, where it says Please report bugs below, in the comment section of this blog.

blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2615
WinterTroubles

Post by WinterTroubles »

Indeed turtlebay777 and who could blame anyone for getting excited about it, I know I am :mrgreen:
I also know, though, that as a newbie to linux I'm personally better off waiting till people who actually know what their doing have tested it :lol:
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

I have found the Mint RC's to generally be quite good. I think one time they pulled the iso's, but numerous times I've followed the RC's right into the full release. And this is an LTS built on a very stable Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. Not saying a big bug might not pop up, but after days of use the MATE version has been problem free for me. But everything is a gamble :-)
TANUJMINTLINUX

Post by TANUJMINTLINUX »

hey !! nice to hear about qiana . But i was just wondering if there would have been an xfce version. :roll:
konjad

Post by konjad »

TANUJMINTLINUX wrote:hey !! nice to hear about qiana . But i was just wondering if there would have been an xfce version. :roll:
yes, it's planned.
The Dark Side

Post by The Dark Side »

Congratulations to the Linux Mint Team, Linux Mint 17 RC Cinnamon is almost perfect !!!! Greetings to All !!!!
altae

Post by altae »

I've got a noob question :-) If I install RC now, will it be possible to update to the stable release by using apt-get dist-upgrade or will it be necessary to reinstall once the stable release is out?
WinterTroubles

Post by WinterTroubles »

Hi altae

If you install now and there are no major changes between now and final, then the usual update process will mean that you will be running final at its release ( or as soon as you up date if you go on holiday and leave your machine turned off for a week or so :lol: )

If there are more major changes that can't be handled through the usual update process then details of the required steps will be in the final release announcement/notes.
altae

Post by altae »

Ok, thanks for the prompt reply. Guess I will keep playing with LM 17 on VB and wait for the stable release before I install it on my second hd besides Windows 8.
jefboyardee

Post by jefboyardee »

One extremely trivial point: I've seen this discussed before with no solution, but the included Firefox doesn't remember its position when relaunching. It does for me in Win7. I don't know if this is the fault of LM or FF, just felt like saying it.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”