Linux Mint 17 "Qiana" MATE RC is out!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
konjad

Re: Linux Mint 17 "Qiana" MATE RC is out!

Post by konjad »

Zorba wrote:any news guys about the release date of the stable version :roll: :roll:
Yes. When they fix the bugs.
ktheking

Post by ktheking »

Nice work.
Any idea on a release date of the Xfce version , or will you do first the proper release of the Mint 17 Mate ?

I already tried Xubuntu 14.04 , but compared to Mint 16 xfce ,it's sluggish. BUT the drivers for iphone ios 7 at least work now :-) (which will too in the Mint 17 Mate).

Purpose is to use the xfce version for people wanting to replace their xp by something else. The mate version will be too heavy for the hardware.

Kind regards,

Koen
konjad

Post by konjad »

ktheking wrote:Nice work.
Any idea on a release date of the Xfce version , or will you do first the proper release of the Mint 17 Mate ?

I already tried Xubuntu 14.04 , but compared to Mint 16 xfce ,it's sluggish. BUT the drivers for iphone ios 7 at least work now :-) (which will too in the Mint 17 Mate).

Purpose is to use the xfce version for people wanting to replace their xp by something else. The mate version will be too heavy for the hardware.

Kind regards,

Koen
They will make final versions of MATE, Cinammon and KDE, and only then work on Xfce. At least that's how they have done things until now.
JSeymour

Post by JSeymour »

WinterTroubles wrote:Jim

Bug reporting should be done through the release announcement on the blog http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2616
Commented there, before. Never showed up. Tried bug-reporting what I experienced. Likewise. Guess they're not interested. *shrug*

Jim
WinterTroubles

Post by WinterTroubles »

The blog comments section is moderated, so posts don't show up until approved, which obviously may take some time if there is no-one checking posts when you submit it.
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

Zorba wrote:any news guys about the release date of the stable version :roll: :roll:
Same question.

Thanks.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
konjad

Post by konjad »

wpshooter wrote:
Same question.

Thanks.
It will be released as soon as they fix the bugs.
dexl
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dexl »

If you can't wait, download the RC and deal with bugs. If you want a bug-free version, be patient!
Linux Mint 20 MATE
Trapper
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Trapper »

dexl wrote:
If you can't wait, download the RC and deal with bugs. If you want a bug-free version, be patient!
For me personally and with a few minor exceptions, my 17 MATE RC has been pretty much the same as a bug-free version from the start. Most people that install the RC now and do an immediate update should pretty much be good to go. That's not to say everything is bug free and some people will always have issues.... but, then again, there's no such thing as a bug-free stable and there are always issues and users with issues. For many users at this point, dealing with the bugs is a minimal experience.
asksqn

Post by asksqn »

It isn't just NVIDIA Optimum that Qiana doesn't work with. NVIDIA Quadro can also be added. I ran the live demo CD of the RC release and had audio, but no video. Qiana won't even display. Looks like this version isn't for hardware that is older than a year.
Minterator

Post by Minterator »

Works fine in VBox, some apps couldn't see the network connection but it's fixed after enabling/disabling.

Looks identical to my existing Mint 13 + backports. If I update the kernel will my MATE 13 system be identical to stock 17?
turtlebay777

Post by turtlebay777 »

asksqn wrote: Looks like this version isn't for hardware that is older than a year.
DON'T JUDGE UNTIL THE FULL DISTRIBUTION IS RELEASED. AT THE MOMENT YOU ARE USING THE BETA RELEASE WHICH INCLUDES ALL THE BUGS.
ClutchDisc

Post by ClutchDisc »

asksqn wrote: Looks like this version isn't for hardware that is older than a year.
Where do you come to that conclusion from? I'm running Mint MATE 17 RC on my Dell desktop that is from 2004... Works great, really fast.
alexa1970

Re: Linux Mint 17 "Qiana" MATE do it better

Post by alexa1970 »

I setup Mint 17 MATE today
Before I work with Ubuntu 14.04
In time work I receive many problems: message was internal error
Therefore I go to Mint
Setup ended good, but there is some problems:
1.Synaptic Package Manager and Software Manager don't display version programm in package
2.Software Manager give very little information about packages and I cann't install package from it (Ubuntu Software Centre in Ubuntu12.04 and 14.04 give more information about packages and I can install or remove package from it)
I think that comments help do Mint 17 better
Trapper
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Trapper »

alexa1970 wrote:I setup Mint 17 MATE today
Setup ended good, but there is some problems:
1.Synaptic Package Manager and Software Manager don't display version programm in package
2.Software Manager give very little information about packages and I cann't install package from it (Ubuntu Software Centre in Ubuntu12.04 and 14.04 give more information about packages and I can install or remove package from it)
I use synaptic regularly and it does not display the issues you are having. The version of installed and install candidate programs are shown.

Regarding the Software Manager (mintinstall), mine gives sufficient information about programs, gives a link to their homepage for further information and even has a comments section from users. I normally don't use this tool but I did test it and it installed the programs I selected.

That's just the good experience I am having. Perhaps someone else can help you overcome the difficulties you are having.
turtlebay777

Post by turtlebay777 »

alexa1970 wrote:I setup Mint 17 MATE today
Before I work with Ubuntu 14.04
Mint 17 has not been released yet as a fully working system i e distribution release. What you are using is a test system, or beta, a development release that includes many bugs. It's understandable that you will be having problems when compared to Ubuntu 14.04 which is a full LTS release!
LeeLee1962

Post by LeeLee1962 »

Runs perfectly as usual.......almost. I'm running Qiana 17 64 bit Cinnamon. My weather applet never loads. It just sits in the panel with the circular arrow icon and when clicked,it says loading.......Otherwise,it's great..Thanks!!!!
hairybiker
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hairybiker »

Anyone else having issues with VNC clients?
I have vino running on a M16 Mate laptop, trying to connect using this pc M17RC/64bit Mate, connects as I can see the connection on a ssh connection monitoring the vino, but it gives me THIS desktop (i.e. local screens) not the laptops one?

Tried using both Remmina and gtk vnc viewer.

EDIT: this ONLY happens when I have a shh terminal open. But I am not using tunnelling for vnc.
Hitchhiker

Post by Hitchhiker »

I can't get a Mint 17 MATE 32 bit iso to boot.

I've downloaded it two times now.

I've tried on several computers.

All the other Mint 17 iso's boot just fine.

Is there a trick to getting a, "good" Mint 17 MATE 32 bit DVD to be bootable?
Fuzzy Penquin

Post by Fuzzy Penquin »

I have installed the MATE version into virtualbox for testing and learning (I'll soon be providing tech support to an additional family member, and their computer is better suited to MATE instead of my Cinnamon). I gotta say, I really like the new MATE DE, it looks very polished and has many nice features, and I really love the new wallpapers! I think my newest addition to the Mint fold will like it a lot, and I can't wait until I can install it for her.

Now, I do have one question about the new Update system changes. When I first ran the Update Manager in Qiana, it gave me levels 1-5, some of which were labled as Security and some as Package. My question is, on the Level 5 stuff (which isn't supposed to show up by default, I thought? The box is unchecked in the settings), it was all Security updates: kernal, and some other stuff I can't remember off-hand. Is it safe to install all of the Level 5 security updates, even though Level 5 is supposed to be "(potentially) dangerous/risky"? Or should I advise my Mint users to not touch them due to risk of breaking something? My users are going to be using Qiana for the next five years, so I want to make sure they are both fully updated with current security patches, and extremely stable in user experience. Security is highly important as things change/progress over 5 years, and I really hope a Level 5 Security patch won't break or destablilize the OS and user experience. These are Linux newbies I'm supporting....

Return to “Releases & Announcements”