Linux Mint 17 "Qiana" MATE RC is out!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.

Re: Linux Mint 17 "Qiana" MATE RC is out!

Postby konjad on Wed May 21, 2014 2:45 am

Zorba wrote:any news guys about the release date of the stable version :roll: :roll:

Yes. When they fix the bugs.
konjad
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby ktheking on Wed May 21, 2014 4:38 am

Nice work.
Any idea on a release date of the Xfce version , or will you do first the proper release of the Mint 17 Mate ?

I already tried Xubuntu 14.04 , but compared to Mint 16 xfce ,it's sluggish. BUT the drivers for iphone ios 7 at least work now :-) (which will too in the Mint 17 Mate).

Purpose is to use the xfce version for people wanting to replace their xp by something else. The mate version will be too heavy for the hardware.

Kind regards,

Koen
ktheking
Level 4
Level 4

Postby konjad on Wed May 21, 2014 6:36 am

ktheking wrote:Nice work.
Any idea on a release date of the Xfce version , or will you do first the proper release of the Mint 17 Mate ?

I already tried Xubuntu 14.04 , but compared to Mint 16 xfce ,it's sluggish. BUT the drivers for iphone ios 7 at least work now :-) (which will too in the Mint 17 Mate).

Purpose is to use the xfce version for people wanting to replace their xp by something else. The mate version will be too heavy for the hardware.

Kind regards,

Koen

They will make final versions of MATE, Cinammon and KDE, and only then work on Xfce. At least that's how they have done things until now.
konjad
Level 3
Level 3

Postby JSeymour on Wed May 21, 2014 6:39 am

WinterTroubles wrote:Jim

Bug reporting should be done through the release announcement on the blog http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2616

Commented there, before. Never showed up. Tried bug-reporting what I experienced. Likewise. Guess they're not interested. *shrug*

Jim
JSeymour
Level 2
Level 2

Postby WinterTroubles on Wed May 21, 2014 6:48 am

The blog comments section is moderated, so posts don't show up until approved, which obviously may take some time if there is no-one checking posts when you submit it.
Linux noob...lurking in the corner...reading quietly...absorbing hopefully...possibly learning..

Mint17Cinn32bit

http://www.copy.com 15 GB free storage + 5GB referral bonuses available
WinterTroubles
Level 5
Level 5

Postby wpshooter on Wed May 21, 2014 9:46 am

Zorba wrote:any news guys about the release date of the stable version :roll: :roll:

Same question.

Thanks.
wpshooter
Level 3
Level 3

Postby konjad on Wed May 21, 2014 9:48 am

wpshooter wrote:

Same question.

Thanks.

It will be released as soon as they fix the bugs.
konjad
Level 3
Level 3

Postby dexl on Wed May 21, 2014 11:08 am

If you can't wait, download the RC and deal with bugs. If you want a bug-free version, be patient!
dexl
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Trapper on Sat May 24, 2014 8:47 am

dexl wrote:

If you can't wait, download the RC and deal with bugs. If you want a bug-free version, be patient!

For me personally and with a few minor exceptions, my 17 MATE RC has been pretty much the same as a bug-free version from the start. Most people that install the RC now and do an immediate update should pretty much be good to go. That's not to say everything is bug free and some people will always have issues.... but, then again, there's no such thing as a bug-free stable and there are always issues and users with issues. For many users at this point, dealing with the bugs is a minimal experience.
Trapper
Level 3
Level 3

Postby asksqn on Sat May 24, 2014 12:10 pm

It isn't just NVIDIA Optimum that Qiana doesn't work with. NVIDIA Quadro can also be added. I ran the live demo CD of the RC release and had audio, but no video. Qiana won't even display. Looks like this version isn't for hardware that is older than a year.
asksqn
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Minterator on Sat May 24, 2014 12:44 pm

Works fine in VBox, some apps couldn't see the network connection but it's fixed after enabling/disabling.

Looks identical to my existing Mint 13 + backports. If I update the kernel will my MATE 13 system be identical to stock 17?
Linux Mint 13 MATE 64-bit
Minterator
Level 3
Level 3

Postby turtlebay777 on Sat May 24, 2014 1:03 pm

asksqn wrote: Looks like this version isn't for hardware that is older than a year.

DON'T JUDGE UNTIL THE FULL DISTRIBUTION IS RELEASED. AT THE MOMENT YOU ARE USING THE BETA RELEASE WHICH INCLUDES ALL THE BUGS.
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
turtlebay777
Level 4
Level 4

Postby ClutchDisc on Sat May 24, 2014 1:56 pm

asksqn wrote: Looks like this version isn't for hardware that is older than a year.

Where do you come to that conclusion from? I'm running Mint MATE 17 RC on my Dell desktop that is from 2004... Works great, really fast.
Gateway NE56R41u laptop, 2.20 GHz x2, 4 GB DDR3 - Ubuntu 14.04
Dell Dimension E310 desktop, 2.80 GHz, 1 GB DDR2 - Linux Mint 17 (Mate)
ClutchDisc
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Linux Mint 17 "Qiana" MATE do it better

Postby alexa1970 on Sun May 25, 2014 3:55 am

I setup Mint 17 MATE today
Before I work with Ubuntu 14.04
In time work I receive many problems: message was internal error
Therefore I go to Mint
Setup ended good, but there is some problems:
1.Synaptic Package Manager and Software Manager don't display version programm in package
2.Software Manager give very little information about packages and I cann't install package from it (Ubuntu Software Centre in Ubuntu12.04 and 14.04 give more information about packages and I can install or remove package from it)
I think that comments help do Mint 17 better
alexa1970
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Trapper on Sun May 25, 2014 7:42 am

alexa1970 wrote:I setup Mint 17 MATE today
Setup ended good, but there is some problems:
1.Synaptic Package Manager and Software Manager don't display version programm in package
2.Software Manager give very little information about packages and I cann't install package from it (Ubuntu Software Centre in Ubuntu12.04 and 14.04 give more information about packages and I can install or remove package from it)

I use synaptic regularly and it does not display the issues you are having. The version of installed and install candidate programs are shown.

Regarding the Software Manager (mintinstall), mine gives sufficient information about programs, gives a link to their homepage for further information and even has a comments section from users. I normally don't use this tool but I did test it and it installed the programs I selected.

That's just the good experience I am having. Perhaps someone else can help you overcome the difficulties you are having.
Trapper
Level 3
Level 3

Postby turtlebay777 on Sun May 25, 2014 10:49 am

alexa1970 wrote:I setup Mint 17 MATE today
Before I work with Ubuntu 14.04

Mint 17 has not been released yet as a fully working system i e distribution release. What you are using is a test system, or beta, a development release that includes many bugs. It's understandable that you will be having problems when compared to Ubuntu 14.04 which is a full LTS release!
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
turtlebay777
Level 4
Level 4

Postby LeeLee1962 on Mon May 26, 2014 1:00 am

Runs perfectly as usual.......almost. I'm running Qiana 17 64 bit Cinnamon. My weather applet never loads. It just sits in the panel with the circular arrow icon and when clicked,it says loading.......Otherwise,it's great..Thanks!!!!
LeeLee1962
Level 1
Level 1

Postby hairybiker on Tue May 27, 2014 12:51 pm

Anyone else having issues with VNC clients?
I have vino running on a M16 Mate laptop, trying to connect using this pc M17RC/64bit Mate, connects as I can see the connection on a ssh connection monitoring the vino, but it gives me THIS desktop (i.e. local screens) not the laptops one?

Tried using both Remmina and gtk vnc viewer.

EDIT: this ONLY happens when I have a shh terminal open. But I am not using tunnelling for vnc.
hairybiker
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Hitchhiker on Wed May 28, 2014 2:29 pm

I can't get a Mint 17 MATE 32 bit iso to boot.

I've downloaded it two times now.

I've tried on several computers.

All the other Mint 17 iso's boot just fine.

Is there a trick to getting a, "good" Mint 17 MATE 32 bit DVD to be bootable?
Hitchhiker
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fuzzy Penquin on Wed May 28, 2014 7:14 pm

I have installed the MATE version into virtualbox for testing and learning (I'll soon be providing tech support to an additional family member, and their computer is better suited to MATE instead of my Cinnamon). I gotta say, I really like the new MATE DE, it looks very polished and has many nice features, and I really love the new wallpapers! I think my newest addition to the Mint fold will like it a lot, and I can't wait until I can install it for her.

Now, I do have one question about the new Update system changes. When I first ran the Update Manager in Qiana, it gave me levels 1-5, some of which were labled as Security and some as Package. My question is, on the Level 5 stuff (which isn't supposed to show up by default, I thought? The box is unchecked in the settings), it was all Security updates: kernal, and some other stuff I can't remember off-hand. Is it safe to install all of the Level 5 security updates, even though Level 5 is supposed to be "(potentially) dangerous/risky"? Or should I advise my Mint users to not touch them due to risk of breaking something? My users are going to be using Qiana for the next five years, so I want to make sure they are both fully updated with current security patches, and extremely stable in user experience. Security is highly important as things change/progress over 5 years, and I really hope a Level 5 Security patch won't break or destablilize the OS and user experience. These are Linux newbies I'm supporting....
Intel i7-3770k 3.5GHz, 16GB 1600MHz RAM, 3x 1TB HDD, MSI Z77A-G45 Thunderbolt motherboard, (MSI) Nvidia GeForce GTX770, Mint 17 64-bit w/Cinnamon.

I am a n00b! Please assume zero knowledge on my part. Sorry for any dumb questions, I am still learning.
Fuzzy Penquin
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to Releases & Announcements