Release: Linux Mint 5 KDE CE

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.

Re: Release: Linux Mint 5 KDE CE

Postby roadrash on Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:35 am

Distrowatch won't report on this release. Going forward we're likely to see more Mint releases not show up on Distrowatch, especially for community and x64 editions. The reason is that we're supporting too many flavors/architectures and that we can't release all of them at the same time, so we're seen as flooding the site with news-unworthy announcements... of course I disagree with this, but again I don't maintain distrowatch :)

I think its more down to the page hits counter reflecting the popularity chart, giving Mint more overall hits than they seem it deserves because of its many flavours being released on different dates. All the various flavours of Ubuntu like Kubuntu & Xubuntu have there own sites and each one counted separately, therefor as each one is released they do not award hits to Ubuntu's counter.
roadrash
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby clem on Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:11 am

OK, let's not hijack this thread, let's go back to the matter at hand here: KDE CE. Discussions about Distrowatch should go in the Chat section. This thread should be used to report feedback on the release.

Clem.
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby metamorphousthe on Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:16 pm

How can I tell if the Elyssa released that I downloaded before the general release is the RC1beta45? I am not quite sure when it was that I downloaded it and from which mirror (not all mirrors are current). Is there something I can look for that can tell me whether or not mine was pre-RC1beta45?
metamorphousthe
"It's all about change"
metamorphousthe
Level 1
Level 1

Postby clem on Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:01 pm

If it's Linux Mint 5 KDE CE then it doesn't really matter which one you downloaded.. there were only two releases: RC1 (aka BETA 045) and Stable and unless you're planning on redistributing it then you can go ahead with RC1 (it's got a tiny little bug which only appears with you don't use English and which you can fix by removing the duplicated folders in your home directory).
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby deadguy on Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:47 am

well,

I finally got around to installing Mint KDE Elyssa and I have to say I'm not disappointed .:D

great job Boo, Clem and crew! I love it!!

cheers,

Deadguy
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Postby lonoy on Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:34 am

With all these different releases maybe it would be an advantage to have a short description of each release under its title on the release page of the Mint web site. While many in this forum know the difference between XFCE, Main edition, KDE etc it might be a somewhat confusing for a Linux novice thinking of moving away from Windows.Though there are some details in each of the applicable release notes there is no one page that I can find that compares the different releases and their individual attributes.
Cheers
lonoy
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ronnoc on Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:22 am

lonoy wrote:With all these different releases maybe it would be an advantage to have a short description of each release under its title on the release page of the Mint web site. While many in this forum know the difference between XFCE, Main edition, KDE etc it might be a somewhat confusing for a Linux novice thinking of moving away from Windows.Though there are some details in each of the applicable release notes there is no one page that I can find that compares the different releases and their individual attributes.
Cheers

I think that is a good idea. But really all I would do is have a summary page that links to the different desktop environments that are available. Really my guess would be that they would go in the forums, since XFCE and KDE are CE editions, and the documentation already focuses on the main edition.
ronnoc
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa KDE Community Edition

Postby Jinnai on Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:27 am

clem wrote:No mention on distrowatch yet either. A bit unusual as the Xfce edition was announced on distrowatch the same day it was released. I would have thought the KDE version of Mint would be the most popular as well. It was the only distro that was able to attract me to switch over after being a dedicated user of Mepis for over 3 years. But anyway, thanks very much boo for another spectacular effort.

Distrowatch won't report on this release. Going forward we're likely to see more Mint releases not show up on Distrowatch, especially for community and x64 editions. The reason is that we're supporting too many flavors/architectures and that we can't release all of them at the same time, so we're seen as flooding the site with news-unworthy announcements... of course I disagree with this, but again I don't maintain distrowatch :)[/quote]Even if they just kept it to offical releases? I mean they don't need to do every beta and RC candiate, but to not post an annoucement of a finished product? Something's wrong there IMO,. At least the different desktop enviroements.
clem wrote:Well Distrowatch is the most successful Linux-related website on the Internet so they're definitely doing something right. I read it a lot too and I appreciate its content. It deserves to be #1 and so it is. Now some decisions are controversial and this one we'll have a tough time agreeing with but I'm not here to judge, just to inform on what's going on. People also disagree on this kind of topic so there's two sides of the fence I guess. Whatever happens you can be sure every single release, community or not, x86 or x64 is going be to be announced on our website, here on the forums, on the blog and on the start page. So if you're looking forward to a future release make sure to check these sites and don't solely rely on the announcement appearing on Distrowatch.
I would expect nothing less! However not having the stuff released on distrowatch makes it much harder to attract new people and part of any annoucement, besides letting those who use the product know there's an update, is that it exists. If people don't know it exists, they can't be swayed to try using it.

Really it seems like they are playing favorites there.

Enough about that though, I'm glad this version's out.
Jinnai
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Eddie G. Wilson on Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:36 am

Good Day All,
This is my first time on the Mint forums. I've been using linux for appox. 4 years now, with several different distros. Ubuntu has been my main distro and I also have used the Gnome edition of Mint 5. I am wanting to try the Kde version of Mint and was wandering if there were any screen shots of Mint 5 Kde.
Thanks,
Eddie
Linux Registered User #490719
Eddie G. Wilson
Level 1
Level 1

Postby exploder on Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:21 pm

Hi Eddie!

This page has a screenshot of the desktop.

http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_elyssa_kde.php
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby kwisher on Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:18 pm

Where can we reports bugs or problems?
The instructions suggested Windows XP or better, so I installed Linux :)
kwisher
Level 5
Level 5

Postby jhouse59 on Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:14 pm

Is there a place I can get a CD or DVD of Mint 5 KDE? I couldn't find it at On-Disk.
jhouse59
Level 3
Level 3

Postby MrP on Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:14 am

Guys great work and it installs on my new Toshiba Laptop where Suse,Mandrake,Ubuntu,Fedora didn't. The only small problem i am having is that I cannot connect to wireless (had same problem with Ubuntu 7). I am sure that i can fix this using iwconfig.
MrP

Postby Eddie G. Wilson on Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:36 pm

exploder wrote:Hi Eddie!

This page has a screenshot of the desktop.

http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_elyssa_kde.php

Thanks, I'll be installing tonight. It looks like its going to be a great weekend. :mrgreen:
Eddie G. Wilson
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mokmeister on Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:12 pm

Hi there,

Just something that happened to me there, when I had installed Mint 5 KDE CE, I noticed there were the 117 updates and did an adept full upgrade, and it broke adept and the other update managers. So I just reinstalled, hit the Mint update, and did whatever updates through that, and so far everything's been fine. Important lesson to learn though, I think, so I thought I might pass it on.
mokmeister
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Eddie G. Wilson on Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:28 am

I installed Mint 5 KDE over the weekend and I'm very impressed. The only thing that I've found that I've got problems with is getting my monitor refresh rate to stay at 60hz. like I set it for. I thought that I had it once but when I rebooted the only choices I had was 50hz. or 51hz. I will go into the proper place in the forums to find out what can be done for it. I can edit my xorg config file if I need to but I don't really want to go that route. I have found this to be a problem with a lot of different distros. Again I would like to say GREAT RELEASE. :mrgreen:

Eddie
Eddie G. Wilson
Level 1
Level 1

Postby npap on Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:20 pm

Another Linux Mint marvel!
Congratulations to Boo and the team for the most impressive KDE desktop. :D
Sorry, I can't find anything that I don't like here. :)
I'm sold on KDE Mint.
Cheers,
npap

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Previous

Return to Releases & Announcements