Linux Mint 17 "Qiana" Cinnamon is out!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
killer de bug

Re: Linux Mint 17 "Qiana" Cinnamon is out!

Post by killer de bug »

sdim wrote: It's just that every time I upgraded in Ubuntu, nothing got messed up, but when I tried to do it in Mint, I got an unbootable system.
50% or more of the users trying to upgrade from version to version in Ubuntu report problem. More than 25% have a borked system after that. This is a risk Linux Mint can't take and that's why they advise to reinstall everything.
enxio27

Post by enxio27 »

Wow! Thank you for this discussion. It's been some months since I read up on Linux distros in preparation for installing Linux as a dual-boot on our family's computers, so I don't remember now why I settled on Mint. I was previously unaware of the controversy; however, after reading this thread, and Clem's announcement (and subsequent comments), I'm very happy I chose Mint.
rpmckinley
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rpmckinley »

I just down loaded and install Mint 17 Cinnamon for the first time. I am a newbe from scratch.
I installed it in a dual-boot configuration with Win-7 running in a seperate partition. The only problem I had was trying to figure out how to shrink that Win-7 partition before installation. After that was completed everything went great with no effort or pain.
It's is very obvious that these guys have put a lot of hard work and effort into this development.
Thanks people.
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

rpmckinley wrote:I just down loaded and install Mint 17 Cinnamon for the first time. I am a newbe from scratch.
I installed it in a dual-boot configuration with Win-7 running in a seperate partition. The only problem I had was trying to figure out how to shrink that Win-7 partition before installation. After that was completed everything went great with no effort or pain.
It's is very obvious that these guys have put a lot of hard work and effort into this development.
Thanks people.
Welcome to the clan :twisted:
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon) 64bit.
Jack Bo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jack Bo »

Been using Mint 10 for awhile, good stable system. When I saw you are supporting Qiana till 2019 I decided it was time to switch. I run an HP laptop with that flukey Realtek wifi card. When I bought it a couple of years ago, I just swapped out the Windows 7 HD for my old one with Julia. Wifi wouldn't work until I found a solution on your forums. After recently installing 17 on the same machine, wifi worked but would drop the signal frequently. It took me 3 or 4 days to find the solution and it was from Freedom Ben on another forum. He located the updated driver for RTL8192CE and gave instructions on how to install it.
Other than that, Clem, all went smoothly. I can't begin to imagine the amount of work that goes into such a project and I just wanted to thank you for all your efforts.

Signed,
A Fan
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

Mint is the best OS in the world I work with it and earn my living with it :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
cinnamoncoffee
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cinnamoncoffee »

Thank you for this distro, Its so great for an average user like me. Everything works smoothly and out of the box. I had no problems with wifi and I could watch youtube right from the beginning. No need to install anything extra.
Menu is very nice and logical, I can find everything easily.
I have tried ubuntu before which was nice but still didn't feel "right" for me. Ive had debian for one day only- it was quite complicated for me. I tried installing SolydK which doesnt have automatic installation and I messed up my disk partitions. it was a huge problem and I was afraid that Ive damaged my computer completely as it couldnt boot.
But Linux Mint installation saved me and I will definitely stick to it!
I will try to convince some of my friends to use this OS instead of Windows.

Great job!
:) ;)
Kernel: 3.16.0-38-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) Desktop: Cinnamon 2.6.13 Distro: Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela Machine: Mobo: ASUSTeK model: X550CA
hatraor

Post by hatraor »

Hi everyone.
I just installed LM17 after a few months spent on LM16. It works well on my Acer Aspire V3. I have a question though and I was not quite sure about where to post it... I figured out this thread would be the right place but I'm not sure.

I love the idea of a LTS version and knowing that my current install will be supported until 2019 kind of reassures me. Yet, I read somewhere that we would be given the opportunity to "upgrade" to 17.1 from the update manager itself. Does this mean LM 17.1 will be LTS as well ? Will it be supported until 2019 just as LM 17 or will it be obsolete a few months after its release ?

Thanks for your time and attention.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, hatraor.

Linux Mint 17.1 will be still Linux Mint 17. So it will be supported till April 2019. Consider the point releases 17.1, 17.2 etc like service packs.
by the way, unless the dev team have changed their minds on this question, then upgrading from Mint 17 to Mint 17.1 will be an "opt-in" choice. You can do so, but you will not have to.

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
hatraor

Post by hatraor »

Thank your for your quick and precise answer.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”