Linux Mint 17 "Qiana" Cinnamon is out!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.

Re: Linux Mint 17 "Qiana" Cinnamon is out!

Postby kmb42vt on Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:08 pm

mr_raider wrote:Not just the point releases. I suggest you read the full documentation on how kernel upgrades are handled.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack

It means as an LTS user you can keep using the original kernel for the full life cycle, or upgrade to backported kernels at your discretion.

Okay, that makes it clearer. My use of "point releases" was incorrect but my understanding was pretty close. Thanks for the link.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby leeb on Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:17 pm

Best release yet! Love it. :D
leeb
Level 1
Level 1

Postby sdim on Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:51 am

Many thanks to Clem and the team for working so hard for this release.
As far as I've seen it looks and feels amazing, but being a Mint fan for almost 7 years now, allow me one comment.

I understand that Mint, and especially the Cinnamon edition, has taken a new direction since Petra, and I think this is superb.
The desktop (correct me if I'm wrong) no longer depends on Gnome so much as in previous releases (or so I've understood).
Why is it that we cannot, or at least, it is not adviseable to directly upgrade from , say, 16 to 17 with the "apt-get dist-upgrade" command
but we have to have a clean installation? One of the pc's I own runs on Ubuntu and I've been upgrading continuously for the last three or four releases without a hitch.
Is it so difficult for Mint, the first distro worldwide (according to Distrowatch and our personal preference) to manage something like that?
I truly beleieve that a distro of that caliber needs to give users the ease of upgrading to every new release instead of having to clean install every time.
Please excuse me for expressing this gripe, but it's the only one I've had so far, and I have to let it out, as I love Mint too much not to talk about it.

Again, congrats to the whole team.
Thank you for another great release, everyone. :wink:
MB:MSI 770 C-45 / HD1:500 GB-->Windows / HD2:320 GB-->Mint 17 Cinnamon
CPU:AMD X4 640 3.00 GHz / RAM:4.0 GB / VGA: NVidia GeForce GT630
sdim
Level 3
Level 3

Postby JosephM on Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:50 am

@sdim
On the issue of upgrading, it's really no different in Mint then it is in Ubuntu. The main difference is in philosiphy. While many people, including myself, can or have upgraded successfully to new versions of Mint in the past, it can certainly go wrong. While Ubuntu's approach is to say go ahead and do it, Mint doesn't recommend it because a fresh install is the safer route to go. If you know or are willing to learn to fix any issues that might arise from an upgrade then by all means give it a shot.
JosephM
Level 3
Level 3

Postby sdim on Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:07 am

My friend, you have probably misinterpreted what I said and that's why I hadn't aired my view until now.
If I knew how to fix isuues about anything in Linux, I would have already contributed, have no doubt about that.
It's just that every time I upgraded in Ubuntu, nothing got messed up, but when I tried to do it in Mint, I got an unbootable system.
It's not a matter of philosophy if you want to prevent users from the hassle of having to clean install every once in a while. It's logical and what's expected.
I had no problem doing it all this time, but think of the people who are not into this or are not willing to back up their whole system just to move on to the next release.
This is the only thing I consider a minor drawback in an OS I have loved for years an am still loving.

A final thought.
You know, to love something means a lot of things, but it especially means one thing, at least according to me:
Trying to improve it in any way you can.

Again, excellent work, everyone. You have given us a remarkable OS. Keep up the good work.
MB:MSI 770 C-45 / HD1:500 GB-->Windows / HD2:320 GB-->Mint 17 Cinnamon
CPU:AMD X4 640 3.00 GHz / RAM:4.0 GB / VGA: NVidia GeForce GT630
sdim
Level 3
Level 3

Postby killer de bug on Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:27 am

sdim wrote:It's just that every time I upgraded in Ubuntu, nothing got messed up, but when I tried to do it in Mint, I got an unbootable system.

50% or more of the users trying to upgrade from version to version in Ubuntu report problem. More than 25% have a borked system after that. This is a risk Linux Mint can't take and that's why they advise to reinstall everything.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. [Isaac Newton]
killer de bug
Level 7
Level 7

Postby enxio27 on Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:57 am

Wow! Thank you for this discussion. It's been some months since I read up on Linux distros in preparation for installing Linux as a dual-boot on our family's computers, so I don't remember now why I settled on Mint. I was previously unaware of the controversy; however, after reading this thread, and Clem's announcement (and subsequent comments), I'm very happy I chose Mint.
enxio27
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rpmckinley on Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:06 pm

I just down loaded and install Mint 17 Cinnamon for the first time. I am a newbe from scratch.
I installed it in a dual-boot configuration with Win-7 running in a seperate partition. The only problem I had was trying to figure out how to shrink that Win-7 partition before installation. After that was completed everything went great with no effort or pain.
It's is very obvious that these guys have put a lot of hard work and effort into this development.
Thanks people.
rpmckinley
Level 1
Level 1

Postby gibbs1984 on Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:41 am

rpmckinley wrote:I just down loaded and install Mint 17 Cinnamon for the first time. I am a newbe from scratch.
I installed it in a dual-boot configuration with Win-7 running in a seperate partition. The only problem I had was trying to figure out how to shrink that Win-7 partition before installation. After that was completed everything went great with no effort or pain.
It's is very obvious that these guys have put a lot of hard work and effort into this development.
Thanks people.

Welcome to the clan :twisted:
Linux Mint 17 (Cinnamon) 32bit.
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Jack Bo on Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:22 pm

Been using Mint 10 for awhile, good stable system. When I saw you are supporting Qiana till 2019 I decided it was time to switch. I run an HP laptop with that flukey Realtek wifi card. When I bought it a couple of years ago, I just swapped out the Windows 7 HD for my old one with Julia. Wifi wouldn't work until I found a solution on your forums. After recently installing 17 on the same machine, wifi worked but would drop the signal frequently. It took me 3 or 4 days to find the solution and it was from Freedom Ben on another forum. He located the updated driver for RTL8192CE and gave instructions on how to install it.
Other than that, Clem, all went smoothly. I can't begin to imagine the amount of work that goes into such a project and I just wanted to thank you for all your efforts.

Signed,
A Fan
Jack Bo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Zorba on Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:53 pm

Mint is the best OS in the world I work with it and earn my living with it :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Zorba
Level 8
Level 8

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Previous

Return to Releases & Announcements