Linux Mint 17 "Qiana" Xfce is out!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 17 "Qiana" Xfce is out!

Post by clem »

/dev/urandom

Re: Linux Mint 17 "Qiana" Xfce is out!

Post by /dev/urandom »

Updating mirrors, thanks!
The Dark Side

Post by The Dark Side »

Congratulations for another Great Release, Linux Mint Team !!!! Linux Mint 17 with XFCE it's really Excellent !!!! Regards.-
mephisto

Post by mephisto »

Good enough for me to switch back to Mint from Xubuntu.
Installed it on ASUS EB-1033 in multi boot with Win 8 and Xubuntu 12.04.4, and it runs fine.

Installer had a grub glitch though, as the installed bootloader did not have any entry for Win 8 at all.
Boot menu only listed Mint and Xubuntu!
Got fixed after installing all updates and simply doing a grub-update. (Relief!)

Good to see you'll be updating this LTS more frequently following Ubuntu release cycles.
That's why I switched to Xubuntu from Mint XFCE in the first place.
I've been on Xubintu 12.04.4 for a while, Linux Mint 14 is still on the same, by now ancient, kernel.
That really is unacceptable.
The hardware enablement stacks and updates are really what made me switch from Mint LTS to Xubuntu LTS.
I really hope I can stay on Mint from now on.
dumble

Post by dumble »

It runs great on my asus eeepc 1005pe netbook. Everything works out of the box and its much faster then windows7. Great work :!:
dottorepc

Post by dottorepc »

Thanks for the new hot release. I have just installed it on two old machines. For a Toshiba Tecra M5 and on a MacBook(!). Both are dual core intel and 1GB RAM. The MAC has 120GB SSD, runs obviuosly better.

Question: how can I get working an app (applet) which monitors the temperatures and shows then on the panel bar? A googled it a lot, but only I found old, not working hints for this problem.

Thank you again!
Ajspik

Post by Ajspik »

dottorepc wrote: Question: how can I get working an app (applet) which monitors the temperatures and shows then on the panel bar? A googled it a lot, but only I found old, not working hints for this problem.
why not use Conky? or do you need to have it running in the panel.
dottorepc

Post by dottorepc »

Yep, I wanted it in the panel. Anyway tdockery97 user has helped me out. I had to install xfce4-sensors-plugin with Synaptic Package Manager and then I can add it to the panel.
Tim-int
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tim-int »

Please explain, what is Mint policy for LibreOffice, what versions we may expect through update. Current LO in Mint 17 is 4.2.4 and stable LO is 4.2.5. What is important is to upgrade to LO 4.2.x versions as they become available and NOT to upgrade to LO 4.3.x at least until 4.3.4 or 4.3.5 because those early versions are buggy.

Please add Grub-Customizer to the official repository and initial installation. Same requested in http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 60#p882477.

Please make GUI option for automatic updates from /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/50unattended-upgrades, available through right-click in Update Manager.
growled

Post by growled »

Tim-int wrote:Please explain, what is Mint policy for LibreOffice, what versions we may expect through update.
A good question. That has not been explained yet, and not just for LibreOffice.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Got, since I was using the XFCE desktop
--find it quite fast and pretty much AOK.

Only system issue(s) I haveare..
  • The desktop menu panels are not correct, they overlap verrtically
  • LibreOffice diaglogs don't expand to correct sizes, don't show all parts of the selections available(vertically)
  • The desktop shows the user login name: I don't like that style, I prefer no user name showing, no user list or pictures; even if I don't expect anyone to see the desktop, I still prefer having to enter a user name + password and not having it display
    --I would also like to remove password echo from the login ...............
  • I don't remember seeing the services list, like main edition has for Gnome desktops
    --even though service --status-all can show them (in a terminal,) and the xfce does list running services (I forget the name of the utility/app that does that)
  • I don't find the provided menu editor that great
    --at least it is now available
  • XarLX doesn't run, a Ubuntu problem, upstream fix for debian was available..
shuphi

Post by shuphi »

Thank you so much for this release, it totally rocks, and everything (I mean literally everything!) works perfectly on all my hardware.
Setup was BLISS, no issues at all (I was preparing my dinner while it took place 8) ), no issues whatsoever, even with my so far rather problematic HP devices (cheap Pavilion AMD g6 and dm1 Laptops).
If anyone in the world asks me which flavor of linux to use as a desktop system, well, I'll have but one answer: "Mint/XFCE. I love it. And I bet you will, too".
Hendrick
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Hendrick »

shuphi wrote:Thank you so much for this release, it totally rocks, and everything (I mean literally everything!) works perfectly on all my hardware.
Setup was BLISS, no issues at all (I was preparing my dinner while it took place 8) ), no issues whatsoever, even with my so far rather problematic HP devices (cheap Pavilion AMD g6 and dm1 Laptops).
If anyone in the world asks me which flavor of linux to use as a desktop system, well, I'll have but one answer: "Mint/XFCE. I love it. And I bet you will, too".
I have to fully agree with you. Last weekend I installed Mint17 (XFCE) on my ASUS netbook, which I bought in the year 2011. I had to use the USB flash drive, because this netbook has no
CD of DVD player. No problems at all. As a result, I now have both Win7 and Mint17 on this machine.
I also have Mint17 in combination with Win-XP on another desktop (this machine is even older).
Thanks for a great OS.

Hendrick / Amsterdam
Mint Xfce - Mint Cinnamon - Win11 Pro
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Tim-int wrote:Please explain, what is Mint policy for LibreOffice, what versions we may expect through update. Current LO in Mint 17 is 4.2.4 and stable LO is 4.2.5. What is important is to upgrade to LO 4.2.x versions as they become available and NOT to upgrade to LO 4.3.x at least until 4.3.4 or 4.3.5 because those early versions are buggy.
There are - or there were, I assume there still are - official LO PPAs for the various version "series." Pick the one you want and add it to your sources list.

There may be one for grub-customizer as well (IDK).

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

DrHu wrote: [*]The desktop shows the user login name: I don't like that style, I prefer no user name showing, no user list or pictures; even if I don't expect anyone to see the desktop, I still prefer having to enter a user name + password and not having it display
--I would also like to remove password echo from the login .
You can easily change your login screen "style" in the settings. Although there are only two of the html(?) ones included, there are many of the normal type - including, IIRC, the one that makes the user type es username (it doesn't display a list).

IDK if there is an option to not echo "dots" when you type your password, but if there is, I would expect it to be in the same set of settings as the above.

Btw, you might also want to disable the default(?) setting that allows the user to skip entering the user name entirely - and just you're the password of the last user to be logged on - if you have not already done so. It appears that you are interested in your system's security, and that option probably decreases it somewhat.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

To those who are asking questions here: You DO realize that there is an entire (sub-)forum dedicated to XFCE, and that you are far more likely to receive help there than you are in this thread (the purpose of which is to announce the release of Mint 17 XFCE), right?

At a guess, most of the members who already know of the release probably don't see much point in returning to view this thread again (and again, and again...).

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

noelbeth55

Post by noelbeth55 »

This is a beautiful release with many changes. I run it and love it. The part that amazed me was when i plugged my two printers in it picked them up, loaded the drivers and away we went. Now MS were unable to do that. If you have not got it do it now. You will be pleasantly surprised.
noelbeth55

Post by noelbeth55 »

Woops, just realised i have Cinnamon
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

noelbeth55 wrote:Woops, just realised i have Cinnamon
That's okay, lol - you're forgiven as long as you try out the XFCE version ;) .

Regards,
MDM

(You're forgiven either way!)
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

noelbeth55

Post by noelbeth55 »

thanks MtnDewManiac . would i have to download the complete os or is it an add on. please ignore my limited knowledge. havent been using it long but i love it

Return to “Releases & Announcements”