Linux mint 5 x64 RC1 Bug thread

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux mint 5 x64 RC1 Bug thread

Post by clem »

This thread is dedicated to bug reports on Linux Mint 5 x64 RC1. Please report bugs here and include necessary steps to reproduce the problems you describe.
ossified65

Re: Linux mint 5 x64 RC1 Bug thread

Post by ossified65 »

Hi all, the first problem I have encountered is that my USB external harddrive is "unable to mount". Not sure what to do.

Also, in general should x64 users do the MIntupdate updates? What about the ones in synaptic?

_thanks

Bryan
ossified65

Post by ossified65 »

Reinstall fixed the problem, sorry, But what about the updates, should we or shouldn't we?
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Levels 1 & 2 are safe and level 3 should only be for bugs you need to have fixed.
Synaptic shouldn't be used to upgrade.
Wraeththu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Wraeththu »

Runs fine so far, and stabe, and without any problems I expected to encounter when using a 64bit OS

Only new Bug I´ve seen so far is with Firefox, sometimes when I start it it takes up the screen completly, window decorations and even taskbar are gone. Pressing F11 two times solves this problem.

There are some more bugs, but I dont think they are 64bit related, because they are also in the 32bit final and maybe also in Ubuntu

1. Multichannel sound of a soundblaster 5.1 still does not work, I do have stereo but I do not have a clue how to switch to 4.0
(this still worked fine in Daryna)
2. Configuring Monitor resolution of an not digitally connected LCD and NV Graphics card is a pain in the ass! Automatic detection does not work at all, sets higehst poss resolution to 640x480 (and this makes the NV config tool virtually unusable)
It also sets back the Keymap to US all the time.
The only proper solution is to edit Xorg.conf manually and to set laguage and proper monitor there with gedit.
(also this still worked fine in Daryna)

Hope there will be a fix for these 2 mayor problems soon. Mint is so user friedly, wit these 2 issues fixed it wold be perfect even for newbies and so much simpler to use and install than WinXP, Vista or even MacOS.
capricornus
Level 2
Level 2

Post by capricornus »

Finally, thanks, this release does very well on my testing system.
One BUT!: after some updating, GRUB was rewritten with only Elyssa, everything else (4 AMD64-OS'es) disappeared.
raini

Post by raini »

I have a few systems at my place all running Elyssa for i386. They share data via smb. The default workgroup for the i386 systems is MSHOME. On the 64-bit version, the workgroup for it defaults to WORKGROUP.
ElQuia

Urgent Need to know from WHERE to add apps and update

Post by ElQuia »

Urgent Need to know from WHERE to add apps and update

Please people, urgent need to know hows the stuff for updates and adding apps.
Do 32 bit apps work?,
Which repositories should we use?
Would be cool to have a complete list of repositories: free, non free, restricted, ubuntu, etc.
What tool should we use to update? synaptic? mint update only?
Are all the apps on Software Portal compatible with RC1 X64 ???
Where can we get compatible apps? I need audio production and edition apps

I ask this because I did a first install (In Sun Virtual Box) and after doing mint update plus package manager update my system went crazy, menu items didnt show, etc. As I did all together I dont know who the culprit was.... ( :oops: )

BTW: THIS IS THE WAY TO GO, GOOD WORK GUYS!!!! :D :D :D
cathbard

Post by cathbard »

Small bug: the medibuntu repo exists in both /etc/apt/sources.list and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

While testing, I have discovered that the Mint 5 64-bit RC1 version in conjunction with my hardware has a problem with not showing a DVD menu in the basic installation. As well, I am getting a green bar across the bottom of the Totem screen and some serious rainbow banding when playing WMA files in Firefox 3.03. This is with a basic install and no updates.

My main machine that has a basic Mint 5 32-bit install and ONLY updated with Level 1 and 2 packages is performing flawlessly. I have menus and excellent video with DVDs in Totem, as well as great quality playback in Firefox 3.03.

After finding the 64-bit problem, I have just noticed the same issue on one of my 32-bit machines that is fully updated with Level 3 packages. I do not use it often or I would have noticed this glitch sooner. There is no DVD menu and the movie goes ahead and starts. To compound things, I have a green bar and rainbow banding on DVDs and WMA files in Firefox 3.03.

My concern is that there is some package update between the original Mint 5 32-bit release and the Mint 5 64-bit release candidate which is not sitting well with my systems. (Xorg?, GStreamer? Totem?) What is different that could be causing this issue? Certainly there are others who most likely have this problem, but have not noticed it yet.

While this is not a specific 64-bit problem, this is a concern for me in regards to updating packages or even possibly upgrading to Mint 6. As for now, I know the original Mint 5 32-bit install with only Level 1 and 2 updates works great. I had assumed it was those darned Level 3 packages that were so vexing, but now it is something in the main installation. My system specs are in my signature (plain, boring, ordinary hardware) Does anyone have any suggestions or insights?
GoustiFruit
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GoustiFruit »

I don't think it is specific to mint, but Flash in Opera makes CPU usage go to 100%. Opera works better with Flash 10 but you chose to put Flash 9 in Mint 64 bits for Firefox fans, and Flash 10 is not available.
mercier

Post by mercier »

flash in firefox sometime works sometimes doesn't. if it doesn't, reboot.

all in all, you did a great job. thanks for the 64bit edition.
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

Jinnai:

Partitioning is done in whole sector increments and is based on drive geometry. It is not always possible to precisely designate partition size down to the Mb, unless you happen to know the math for your drive geometry and meticuluously calculate partitions based on it. But the installer knows the math and does the calculations for you, sometimes rounding up and sometimes rounding down.

This is not a bug. This is not even unique to linux. This has 100% to do with drive geometry.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”