Linux mint 5 x64 RC1 Bug thread

Releases and other announcements
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.

Re: Linux mint 5 x64 RC1 Bug thread

Postby Jinnai on Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:11 am

This may not be a bug with the x64 release per say, but

When running the install program off the boot CD, I set my windows partition to 15270 (15200 was the minimum size it said the partition could be). But everything I hit okay the partition is set at 15274. Swap area i set to 1024 (i have 3GB onboard ram) and it sets it at 1019.

Somewhere along the way calculations are getting messed up, either on the interface (one is using base 1000 and the other is using base 1024) or it's adding those extra 4mbs for some reason I can't comprehend.
Jinnai
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby AK Dave on Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:26 pm

Jinnai:

Partitioning is done in whole sector increments and is based on drive geometry. It is not always possible to precisely designate partition size down to the Mb, unless you happen to know the math for your drive geometry and meticuluously calculate partitions based on it. But the installer knows the math and does the calculations for you, sometimes rounding up and sometimes rounding down.

This is not a bug. This is not even unique to linux. This has 100% to do with drive geometry.
AK Dave
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Jinnai on Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:03 pm

Maybe a note could be added to the installer for those doing custom installs and not used to this (i hardly think i'm the only one who didn't realize this).
Jinnai
Level 2
Level 2

Postby infamous on Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:55 am

The local temperature on my systray has been stuck on 73 degrees and sunny for a few days now. I tried changing the location but its still stuck. Also I had it set to Chicago weather but it changed itself to someplace in Europe. I deleted the location and then added it again and now the weather icon wont come back so I'm guessing it can't talk to the server?
*edit*
I let it sit for a couple hours and the temperature came back up but its still stuck on 73 and sunny.
infamous
Level 2
Level 2

Previous

Return to Releases & Announcements