Elyssa x64 RC1 released

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.

Re: Elyssa x64 RC1 released

Postby Jinnai on Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:36 am

coderneedsfood wrote:I have not done any testing
I will if you want me too ...

Yes please. It may greatly affect whether I install 64-bit or go with just KDE.
Jinnai
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby coderneedsfood on Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:50 pm

I'll try and do some tests this weekend . anything specific ? encode a movie or something ?
coderneedsfood
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Jinnai on Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:29 am

coderneedsfood wrote:I'll try and do some tests this weekend . anything specific ? encode a movie or something ?

Ripping a DVD to h264, preferably if you can find something that is episodic so i can see how long 1 episode takes. Double pass, stereo audio (no need to upscale it), 640x480 or 720x480 (if it's widescreen). Rest doesn't matter so much.

and on another note i will have to read up on how to encode something that is dual-audio w a subtitle channel down to single audio w. subtitles....i may need some help there...
Jinnai
Level 2
Level 2

Postby darco on Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:49 am

I just wish that right after Felicia x32 is released that Felicia's stepsister (x64) will be right behind her. Sadly this ugly step sister, Elyssa x64 ver is 6mos AFTER Elyssa x32 came out..ouch....oh well, cant complain, well a little. Mint still rocks....

darco
darco
Level 3
Level 3

Postby cathbard on Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:56 am

I've tested it with the 32 bit version back to back running on a 3.2G pentium core duo using the program I use that really requires as much horsepower that you can throw at it which is inkscape. With 4G of ram the 64 bit version rendered drawings that had quite a few blurs (that really requires a massive amount of calculations) in less than half the time as it's 32 bit sister. Using 4G makes it a fair test of the actual difference between the kernels themselves.
I then threw an extra 4G of ram into it which made the difference even more remarkable. Made it about half as fast again. The difference between the 64 bit and 32 bit kernels was greater than doubling the ram.
Basically, if you use things like inkscape on a 64 bit pc with a 32 bit kernel you need your head examined.
Last edited by cathbard on Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A bachelor is a selfish, undeserving guy who has cheated some woman out of a divorce." - Don Quinn
cathbard
Level 3
Level 3

Postby eddie on Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:02 am

I have used Linux since it first popped its head up. I D/L today and was to say the least unimpressed. Elegance, where?
I D/L Puppy 4.1 and run it on a 1.5 embeded cpu with 1 gig of 667 ram, leaves Mint 64 for dead.
If you want 64 bit get the old and best Suse 10.2.
eddie

Postby Khaavren on Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:16 pm

64 Bit installed on my HP dv9000z laptop (AMD 64 TL-60, NVIDIA geforce7600, BCM4312 wireless). Seems to be very "snappy", 3D Compiz works good. Battery drain less than the Windows XP-MC preinstalled. Problems encountered: Install must be done with wired Ethernet connected, otherwise cannot download fwcutter drivers. This was only on the hard drive install, the Live CD boot worked without any problems whatsoever. Caps Lock indicator light is inverted -- When light is lit, caps lock is off and vice versa. Built-in webcam not detected or installed, but I haven't tried to fix.
Khaavren

Postby simta on Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:09 pm

Khaavren wrote: Built-in webcam not detected or installed, but I haven't tried to fix.

thats strange, you have a newer model of laptop to me, i have the HP DV6174ea and it detects my webcam fine, i didnt have to do any separate setting up. installed cheese and that took pics+video fine, and cam works in aMsn. i havent tried it in any other IM program.

also my wireless worked out of the box too, although think HP may have changed what wireless hardware is being used, doesnt seem to be a change for the better. ive only installed two distro's, first 32-bit hardy heron and then elyssa and both installs wireless worked without any setting up.

HP Pavillion DV6174ea - Elyssa x64
simta
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Khaavren on Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:28 pm

simta wrote:
Khaavren wrote: Built-in webcam not detected or installed, but I haven't tried to fix.

thats strange, you have a newer model of laptop to me, i have the HP DV6174ea and it detects my webcam fine, i didnt have to do any separate setting up. installed cheese and that took pics+video fine, and cam works in aMsn. i havent tried it in any other IM program.

also my wireless worked out of the box too, although think HP may have changed what wireless hardware is being used, doesnt seem to be a change for the better. ive only installed two distro's, first 32-bit hardy heron and then elyssa and both installs wireless worked without any setting up.

I have had some time to play with it today. First, the caps lock issue is dependent on the state when the system starts, if on then as described in my earlier post, if off, then normal operation (light on indicates caps lock enabled).

I haven't done much beyond a little reading about the webcam. It seems that HP uses two cameras, a RICOH and one for which I can't recall the name. I think mine is a RICOH. I haven't tried cheese and I might never. Webcam is not high on my list of needs.

Thanks for your reply.

K-
Khaavren

Postby cathbard on Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:40 pm

eddie wrote:I have used Linux since it first popped its head up. If you want 64 bit get the old and best Suse 10.2.

You've been using linux since it started and you are recommending a distro that signed the MS patent deal??? Sounds to me like after all these years you haven't grasped the core concept; it's about escaping corporate bullying, not selling out to it. With one greedy stroke Novell legitimised MS's bs scare tactics regarding patents - patents that shouldn't even exist in the first place let alone be relevant to the FOSS community. I wouldn't touch Suse if it made me breakfast and mowed the lawn and neither should anybody else that values freedom.
"A bachelor is a selfish, undeserving guy who has cheated some woman out of a divorce." - Don Quinn
cathbard
Level 3
Level 3

Postby clem on Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:10 pm

I wouldn't touch Suse if it made me breakfast and mowed the lawn and neither should anybody else that values freedom.

Well that depends... are we talking cereals or full Irish breakfast? :wink:

Clem
PS: An ISO was uploaded today. If Exploder is happy with it we'll be looking at a stable release sometime this week.
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby swedrei on Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:43 pm

clem wrote:
Clem
PS: An ISO was uploaded today. If Exploder is happy with it we'll be looking at a stable release sometime this week.

great news! thank you very much for all your efforts!
swedrei
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Jinnai on Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:19 pm

clem wrote:
I wouldn't touch Suse if it made me breakfast and mowed the lawn and neither should anybody else that values freedom.

Well that depends... are we talking cereals or full Irish breakfast? :wink:

Clem

Does this mean, barring something unforeseen, the final version will be the same as the newly uploaded iso?
Jinnai
Level 2
Level 2

Postby clem on Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:19 am

Yes, and 99% similar to RC1. Only two fixes were added:

- The removal of medibuntu from /etc/apt/sources.list.d (as it was already define in sources.list)
- The change of the samba workgroup from WORKGROUP to MSHOME in /etc/samba/smb.conf (to be the same as the Main edition)

Clem.
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby naesa on Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:04 am

clem wrote:- The removal of medibuntu from /etc/apt/sources.list.d (as it was already define in sources.list)
- The change of the samba workgroup from WORKGROUP to MSHOME in /etc/samba/smb.conf (to be the same as the Main edition)
Clem.

Great no need to reinstall/update then, as i'm guessing most of us already noticed and fixed them both. Running it on sort of a High-end system (dualcore 3.0ghz, 9800gtx, 8 GB RAM, 1000rpm hd's) and i am amazed by how fast it is. I'm pretty sure i'm getting better performance in some wine-games like WoW than i do in both XP and Vista, and yes better than in 32bits Elyssa (can't be just the memory-issue).
Once you go... 64... you never go back!^^
naesa
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ossified65 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:35 pm

Thanks for all the work Clem!
ossified65
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Jinnai on Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:27 pm

Since Elyssa x64 was released ~1 month before the (usual) release of the new version of mint (November), will future x64 versions follow similar pattern or will we see releases much closer to the initial distro's release (assuming Mint continues to make x64 releases)?
Jinnai
Level 2
Level 2

Postby _LDC_ on Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:38 pm

downloaded and installed on a pendrive, tested with laptop Asus X50Z: no wireless (the "atheros" driver is "enabled but inactive"), no correct graphic adapter and no correct display size.
Very very fast, neat menu and a general positive "feeling" (you notice everything is in the place you expect it to logically be). If wireless and DRI worked out of the box, it would've been a giant step.
_LDC_
Level 1
Level 1

Postby coderneedsfood on Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:43 pm

FYI tested playing Portal for a few hours using Wine/WineDoors and x64 Elyssa no major problems , really smooth
thanks guys , now i need to go buy another 4 gig :)
coderneedsfood
Level 1
Level 1

Postby earthpig on Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:57 am

read the thread, i still prefer stable to beta... as soon as you guys apply the magic word 'stable' to this release, i will be switching from ubuntu 64 bit to mint 64 bit :)
earthpig
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to Releases & Announcements