Linux Mint 5 x64 released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.

Re: Linux Mint 5 x64 released!

Postby PurplePants on Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:53 pm

Just installed this today after a bit of a nightmare going from Mint 4.0 > Ubuntu 8.10 > Kubuntu 8.10 > Mandriva 2008.....Couldn't get X to work correctly with either Ubuntu and Kubuntu. I didn't like the look of Mandriva so decided to try Mint 5.0 (64 bit)

Everything is working as it should be, installed Nvidia using Envy and it's now running at the correct resolution. All the media stuff seems to be working fine, flash is working too.....Thanks you thanks you thank you :D

Looks like I may have to make another donation to Minux Mint :)
PurplePants
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby simta on Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Ballestein wrote:
simta wrote:well mint is basically ubuntu, it uses hardy heron as the base and add bits doesnt it? so am i able to upgrade that core hardy heron part into intrepid ibex?

I think it's more correct to say that Mint is fully compatible with Ubuntu's repositories (that is, Mint 5 with Heron, Mint 6 with Intrepid and so on). It's more than just looks that seperates Mint from Ubuntu :-)

I don't know for sure, but my guess is that an "apt-get dist-upgrade" to intrepid would f up your system...

what else is different?

HP Pavillion DV6174ea - Elyssa x64
simta
Level 1
Level 1

Postby locutus on Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:21 pm

simta wrote:
Ballestein wrote:
simta wrote:well mint is basically ubuntu, it uses hardy heron as the base and add bits doesnt it? so am i able to upgrade that core hardy heron part into intrepid ibex?

I think it's more correct to say that Mint is fully compatible with Ubuntu's repositories (that is, Mint 5 with Heron, Mint 6 with Intrepid and so on). It's more than just looks that seperates Mint from Ubuntu :-)

I don't know for sure, but my guess is that an "apt-get dist-upgrade" to intrepid would f up your system...

what else is different?

If you want intrepid that bad -- and you don't care if it kills Mint in the process -- why don't you just download and install intrepid? Any distro will tell you that a clean install is better than an upgrade anyway. And that applies even to different versions of the same distro, never mind to a different distro.
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Postby simta on Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:08 pm

im not desperate at all, more curious of what is possible

HP Pavillion DV6174ea - Elyssa x64
simta
Level 1
Level 1

Postby max :) on Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:37 am

Hi everyone. I use Mint 5 x64 for a week, it's FAR BETTER than Ubuntu Hardy, feels lighter, non-bloated, elegant and clean...:D
I love this distro, it's the best! I started giving out CDs to all my friends, they are all very satisfied from the beautiful interface and ease of use.
And thank you all the developers out there for making it! Thanks to you, Linux Mint 5 x64 is my main desktop, and I'm almost switched from Vista (occasionally I use it for design apps not avaiable for linux :( - trying to solve that).
I used Mint since ver. 4, and this one is very cool. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Linux Mint 8 64 bit - lovely minty! :D
Work: Core 2 Duo E6750@2.66GHz, 4 GB DDR2-800, 320GB HDD, GeForce 8500GT 512MB, P35 Chipset
Play: Asus ITX-220, Celeron 220@1.2 GHz, 2GB DDR2-800, 80GB HDD, Intel GMA950
max :)
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Ralphnaderchop on Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:24 pm

Ah man I knew it was coming out soon, but not this soon(I know I'm way past release date). I can finally use Mint with all my ram. Thank you! Now to get another drive to install it on.
Ralphnaderchop
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ZenDJiNN on Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:34 am

This may sound like a crazy question (?) but why is the 64 bit version of Mint, "AS QUICK AS" or "EVEN FASTER THAN" something like the XFCE 64 bit version of Sidux??? It's weird, but on this system (Core 2 Duo with 2gb DDR2) Mint 64 absolutely Flies!! It's faster than (Even using the standard Gnome) pretty much anything else that i've tried, and it's just as responsive as the lightweights that use Flux/Openbox etc.

A great distro, that just keeps getting better & better with every release, and this 64 bit version is simply the BEST!! Many thanks to the whole team..... You ROCK!! :D
ZenDJiNN
Level 1
Level 1

Postby knuckles on Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:40 am

@ZenDJiNN
If you are already so in-love with Elyssa64, so wait for Felicia64 :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Sorry for my BAD English!!
knuckles
Level 3
Level 3

Postby ZenDJiNN on Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:10 pm

knuckles wrote:@ZenDJiNN
If you are already so in-love with Elyssa64, so wait for Felicia64 :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Hi knuckles, thanks for the reply. Wow!!! There's a teaser if ever there was one. :lol: OK, i'll bite, what's the skinny on the next 64 bit release? Any advance info? I'm just sooooo impressed with Linux Mint overall. I'm currently using Mint 5 (x86) as my main "Day to day" desktop, and it's absolutely fantastic. Again it's faster than pretty much everything else out there, and that's with ALL the stuff that comes with the full GNOME experience!! So yeah, you can bet i'll be waiting to give the next 64bit release a go!! :D
ZenDJiNN
Level 1
Level 1

Postby elyboy on Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:46 am

big_dog1968 wrote:Clem.
I had posted earlier about the start menu not disappearing automatically after clicking a menu item and the shut down menu not coming up until I click outside the menu - you suggested Compiz was the culprit. I now have Compiz disabled and it is still doing it. Can you think of any other issues that would cause this behavior?

I am having the same issue here... though i am not using 64bit edition... but the problem is exactly the same... can anyone help? please...
elyboy
Level 1
Level 1

Postby xavest on Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:41 pm

Sorry, but i've downloaded x64 edition and...i've found that the real instalation was ubuntu hardy.
I think it's a temporal mistake. Isn'it?
xavest

Postby ZenDJiNN on Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:51 pm

xavest wrote:Sorry, but i've downloaded x64 edition and...i've found that the real instalation was ubuntu hardy.
I think it's a temporal mistake. Isn'it?

It could indeed be a temporal mistake, but i think it's more likely to be a good call while the problems with Intrepid Ibex get sorted out. Hardy works very well, as we can see with Mint 64. Really looking forward to the next release though..... :D
ZenDJiNN
Level 1
Level 1

Postby xavest on Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:46 am

I mean that the file named "LinuxMint-5-x64.iso", in direct download option, is wrong.
xavest

Postby mercier on Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:05 pm

elyboy wrote:
I am having the same issue here... though i am not using 64bit edition... but the problem is exactly the same... can anyone help? please...

x2 on elyssa 64bit
mercier
Level 3
Level 3

Postby cespinal on Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:28 am

Oooops... I rushed down and did not notice Elyssa had a 64X version...

I installed the 32 bit version on my AMD core duo HP Laptop and feels rock solid...which is great anyway cuz im installingit on my brothers' older desktops and it's working GREAT.

Is there any substantial difference I should change architecture for???
cespinal
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Previous

Return to Releases & Announcements