Linux Mint 17.1 “Rebecca” Cinnamon RC released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
sdim
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Linux Mint 17.1 “Rebecca” Cinnamon RC released!

Post by sdim »

Many thanks, Clem and team.
Those of us who are on Mint 17, can we upgrade now in order to have a look? I mean not via re-installing but on-the-spot upgrade.
MB:MSI 770 C-45 / HD1:500 GB-->Windows / HD2:320 GB-->Mint 20 Cinnamon
CPU:AMD X4 640 3.00 GHz / RAM:4.0 GB / VGA: NVidia GeForce GT630
davcri

Post by davcri »

Finally :D
I would like to ask the developers a question : this is the second release based on Ubuntu 14.04LTS. How is it going ?

@sdmi: It is possible, but not recommended. Look at the second post : http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2703#comment-112505
Dupo

Post by Dupo »

Hi,

thanks to Clem and the team.

I tested the Cinnamon 2.4.x desktop. I noticed that I could choose a theme for the edge of the screen, one for the icon, etc. by pressing on the corresponding button in the theme section. Could I make a suggestion?
Would it be possible that when we click a second time on the button, the window offering the different choices disappears ?
(example: I push the button to choose the edge of the screen, the different choices appear. I push a second time the button, the different choices disappear).

Thanks.
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

I ask this question almost always but can you feel difference in perfomance (Cinnamon 2.2 vs Cinnamon 2.4)? The change log looks awesome and I'm hoping this memory leaks (which are fixed) to improve the perfomance of LM 17.1 further. :)
sdim
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sdim »

@davcri: Thanks for the tip. I did it but I ended up with a system that got me to the start-up screen but could not load Cinnamon, as it said. Don't know what happened there, maybe the fact that I also changed "Trusty" to "Utopic" in the source list directory broke Cinnamon.
Anyway, I did a clean installation and I immediately noticed how more responsive Cinnamon is now. Also, the changes made are superb and towards the right direction,
i.e. user ease of use. Again, many thanks, Clem and team. Keep up the excellent work.
MB:MSI 770 C-45 / HD1:500 GB-->Windows / HD2:320 GB-->Mint 20 Cinnamon
CPU:AMD X4 640 3.00 GHz / RAM:4.0 GB / VGA: NVidia GeForce GT630
gary.zw

Post by gary.zw »

I have a question.

Right now I'm using Xubuntu 14.04 but I'm really liking what I see in Mint 17.1 “Rebecca” Cinnamon RC. My question is if I Install Mint 17.1 RC will I be able to upgrade to the next stable release without re-installing?
darknetmatrix
Level 3
Level 3

Post by darknetmatrix »

the stable release comes with the update's, so you can.
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀
gary.zw

Post by gary.zw »

drumBE wrote:the stable release comes with the update's, so you can.
I'm not sure I'm understanding here. So if I install the RC release it will update to the stable release without me having to delete the RC and then install the stable release?
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Loving 17.1 RC Cinnamon, only one slight problem it you install the Okular (I know it's KDE) but it's the one pdf program that does what I need to get done.
The new Okular is not working in 17.1 It says can't find backend when trying to open a pdf file.
Also most of the settings are grayed out.
Would it be possible to revert to an older version until this one is fix. I suspect that it's built for plasma 5 dependencies and something is still missing.
In any event thanks for all the hard work and a very nice RC other that that it seem rock solid here.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
darknetmatrix
Level 3
Level 3

Post by darknetmatrix »

gary.zw wrote:
drumBE wrote:the stable release comes with the update's, so you can.
I'm not sure I'm understanding here. So if I install the RC release it will update to the stable release without me having to delete the RC and then install the stable release?
exactly
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀
papa33

Post by papa33 »

kc1di wrote:Loving 17.1 RC Cinnamon, only one slight problem it you install the Okular (I know it's KDE) but it's the one pdf program that does what I need to get done.
The new Okular is not working in 17.1 It says can't find backend when trying to open a pdf file.
Would it be possible to revert to an older version until this one is fix. I suspect that it's built for plasma 5 dependencies and something is still missing.
In any event thanks for all the hard work and a very nice RC other that that it seem rock solid here.
Hello,

I installed kile (latex editor) which comes with a lot of dependencies, and interacts a lot with okular. After that, okular is working. You can try.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

papa33 wrote:
kc1di wrote:Loving 17.1 RC Cinnamon, only one slight problem it you install the Okular (I know it's KDE) but it's the one pdf program that does what I need to get done.
Hello,

I installed kile (latex editor) which comes with a lot of dependencies, and interacts a lot with okular. After that, okular is working. You can try.
Thanks for the tip that worked. seem to pull a dependency that okular needs. so must be a problem with the upstream package.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
wujastyk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wujastyk »

kc1di wrote:
papa33 wrote:
Hello,

Thanks for the tip that worked. seem to pull a dependency that okular needs. so must be a problem with the upstream package.
Okay, it's a temporary fix, but Kile+dependencies is a colossal install, including TeXlive (which I already have direct from TUG), so I sincerely hope it will be possible to install plain Okular alone in the future. Meanwhile, can we not identify what particular bits of the Kile install Okular needs?

Return to “Releases & Announcements”