Linux Mint 6 RC1 Bug Thread

Releases and other announcements
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.

Re: Linux Mint 6 RC1 Bug Thread

Postby owen1978 on Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:27 am

Panpan wrote:
jwdeitch4 wrote:this is caused by javascript on some websites.
you can fix it by very slightly resizing the window, and by not maximizing firefox.
Hmm, maybe I have not been clear enough. The problem is that windows don't appear in Linux Mint's taskbar anymore. As you can see on the screenshot below, there is no tabs in the taskbar even though there is 3 different applications already opened... pretty annoying
Thanks for your help

This used to happen to me too, for me i would lose the taskbar but also the web browser header turned from the default blue colour to
ubuntu brown.

I cant remember what i have done for it to stop happening, but i tried resizing from full screen to normal, and had some firefox updates
too which might have sorted it!
owen1978
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Panpan on Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:01 pm

GoustiFruit wrote:You probably removed or totally reduced the panel that lists Windows. Right click on your panel and choose to add "Windows list".

This worked, thank you so much :)
Panpan

Postby Hullslap on Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:19 pm

I did an online upgrade this afternoon from 5 to 6 and everything seems to work with the exception of Wine. Every time I try to open software in wine I get a prompt saying that "An error occurred while loading the archive". I tried to uninstall Wine and then do a re-install but it wouldnt let me uninstall it. Would really like to make it work. Has anyone come across this with regards to Wine? Other than that everything looks good. This is really turning into a great operating system.
Hullslap
Level 1
Level 1

Postby orangutan_X on Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:18 am

There's a problem with the mint menu, when i move the mouse over the categories and settle on one sometime it flickers between that catergory and the one above/below it.

Thanks for all the hard work on Mint 6. i absolutely love it. Congratulations :D
orangutan_X
Level 1
Level 1

Postby exploder on Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:32 pm

There's a problem with the mint menu, when i move the mouse over the categories and settle on one sometime it flickers between that catergory and the one above/below it.

This is a known issue. I do not know know when it will be addressed and strangely, it does not occur on every system.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby morty007 on Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:15 pm

I have the flickering problem as well, should be easy to fix I would think.
Dell XPS M1530
Intel Core 2 Duo T5850
Dual Boot Windows 7 & Mint 9 32 bit
320GB
4GB, DDR2, 667MHz 2 Dimm
256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT
Intel Wifi link 4965agn
morty007
Level 2
Level 2

Postby orangutan_X on Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:14 pm

at least it is nothing major. Thanks for the info, and glad its not just me going crazy ;-)

curious why it doesn't do it on every system.

Would an Intel graphics card have something to do with it maybe?
orangutan_X
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Hullslap on Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:54 pm

Well I finally found a way to get wine working. Right click on an exe file, and choose properties. Then click the "open with" tab, I switched it over to "open with wine" dialog box from the "open with archive manager" box and it started working. I guess something in the upgrade process switched the dialog boxes over, anyway I now have a working version of wine which was what I needed so everything seems to be working now.
Hullslap
Level 1
Level 1

Postby pmgant on Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:54 pm

With fourteen pages of bug reports I'll probably grow old and die before this is seen.

However..................

Sony notebook PCG-K415B - Suspend, Hibernate AND Shutdown not working

Suspend
When activated notebook shuts down and power LED flashes red (this is normal). Pressing the spacebar or the power button turns on the notebook, there is a brief flash of the hard drive LED and then nothing.

Hibernate
When activated there is a lot of hard drive activity and X shuts down to leave a flashing text cursor on the top left of the screen, the notebook does not shut down. Pressing the power button at this point turns off the power but on restart I get a full reboot instead of a restore from hibernate.

Shutdown
When activated there is a lot of hard drive activity and X shuts down to leave a flashing text cursor on the top left of the screen, the notebook does not shut down. Pressing the power button at this point turns off the power.

In 1997 Microsoft managed to build an OS that would suspend, hibernate or shut down my P II Compaq notebook. It appears that in 2009 Linux still cannot manage this. I'm not impressed.

P M Gant
pmgant
Level 1
Level 1

Postby sasori on Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:50 pm

I noticed that the fortunes bug has been posted here before , but I would like to confirm it .
sasori
Level 1
Level 1

Postby sasori on Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:06 pm

Here is an additional bug ( I think ) .

I have a Lenovo N200 0769-BKG laptop . I installed mint on it today , and it is fully patched . I noticed the following thing : if I activate the following effects on CompizConfig Settings Manager :

- 3D windows
- Reflection
- Window decoration
- Animations
- Blur window
- Motion blur
- Wobbly windows

after a while the system would just freeze . The thing that causes the freeze is switching from a window to another using alt-tab . It happened twice on my system , so I think it's reproducible ( after the second freeze , I just deactivated effects ) . Could this be because of the onboard Intel graphics accelerator ? If so , isn't it weird that the system freezes ?
sasori
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Previous

Return to Releases & Announcements